PDA

View Full Version : Lost Finale - Warning: Spoiler Alert

Calvin
21-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Penultimate episode tonight, leaving the finale pretty soon.

Was wondering when it was and a quick google threw this up: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/may/20/lost-finale-5am-uk-simulcast

Great idea, means that I can just Sky+ it and watch it when I get home from work on Monday!

AFKA5814_Hibs
21-05-2010, 05:49 PM
Just saw an advert for this earlier. Will probably stick it on sky+ and watch on Monday night. I'll just have to avoid all forms of Internet and news during the day incase I find out the ending before I watch it.:paranoid:

Pity it wasn't last Monday when I was off and it was a holiday.:grr:

Scooter
21-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Penultimate episode tonight, leaving the finale pretty soon.

Was wondering when it was and a quick google threw this up: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/may/20/lost-finale-5am-uk-simulcast

Great idea, means that I can just Sky+ it and watch it when I get home from work on Monday!

according to ABC the finale airs on sunday in the states

ive seen tonights :thumbsup:

ArabHibee
23-05-2010, 09:22 AM
Have seen the final eposode.

Jack wakes up in the shower and it's all been a terrible dream.

Sorry to spoil it for you boys. :cool2:

Scooter
24-05-2010, 06:36 AM
seriously though
:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

jonty
24-05-2010, 08:48 AM
seriously though
:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:
this.

HarpyHibby
24-05-2010, 09:14 AM
I still found it a little confusing! Are they all dead or what ? Don't understand why Sawyer etc are flying off the island but they are returning in real life ?

HibbyAndy
24-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Having watched this im still very uncertain what the ending was actually all about:confused:

The Sundance Kid
24-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Spoiler Warning

The timeline where the plane didn't crash is basically a purgatory type place where the characters go when they die so that they can live out a nice life with people they love. Then at the end when they realised that this was the case and had been reunited with one another Jack's dad opened the church door to heaven.

As far as the people who flew off the island e.g. Kate, Sawyer, they could have gone onto have lived until they were in their own age before they died but would have evenually arrived in purgatory. This is why when Jack asked his dad if everyone in the church was dead he replied that "everybody dies at some point. Some were before you, some long after you". Also even if lets say Desmond or Hurley died 50 years after Jack they would still have been in purgatory at the same time as again Jack's dad said "There is no real here or now".

Basically I think the writers were trying to say that the characters and their relationships were the most important part of the show and therefore missed out some of the mysteries e.g. what was the island or what were the significance of the numbers

Hope that managed to clear up some confusion.

Wembley67
24-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Quite like how Lost and Ashes to Ashes had pretty much the same idea behind it :thumbsup:

HarpyHibby
24-05-2010, 05:53 PM
What about ben not going into the church ? Is this the theme of everyone dies at some point or are the writers leaving it open to be continued in the future ?

Marty-Hibee
24-05-2010, 07:51 PM
What about ben not going into the church ? Is this the theme of everyone dies at some point or are the writers leaving it open to be continued in the future ?

Was reading somewhere that maybe he wasnt ready to move on or something along those lines, and hence why there was some other characters not at the church, ie Ana Lucia and Ilana etc.

My opinion on the ending has changed a lot in the last day to be honest! Wasnt convinced at first, but then it all kind of clicked, and I actually really liked it, and i'm not that bothered about anything that wasn't answered.

Shed a wee tear tae!

RoslinInstHibby
24-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I still found it a little confusing! Are they all dead or what ? Don't understand why Sawyer etc are flying off the island but they are returning in real life ?

everything that happened on the Island happened. They were actually there and some of them did leave (Kate, Miles, Alpert, Sawyer & The pilot).
This was conveyed when Kate said to Jack 'i've missed you' implying she has been waiting ages to meet her soulmate in the afterlife. Jack died on the Island and Kate probably went on to live her life but when she died she returned to the point and the people where she is happiest - her time on the Island.
This goes for all the characters who are in the church at the end. Anna Lucia 'wasn't ready' yet, Michael hadn't resolved his demons, Ben wasn't ready either. As a result they are still resolving their lives post-death.
So the Island was a place for people to resolve their traumas and Jacob selected people to be there. Fake locke wanted to leave the island and therefore wanted to destroy it and be able to exist outside of the island presumably leaving people with no way of finding happiness if their normal lives weren't going to supply it.

Brando7
24-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Thought the finale was good but somehow feel left empty by many unanswered questions :grr:

Judas Iscariot
25-05-2010, 06:19 AM
Thought the finale was good but somehow feel left empty by many unanswered questions :grr:

:agree:

I loved Lost throughout all the years it's been on but that was just one giant cop out if you ask me..

Didn't answer ****all, very dissappointed they went down the predictable "Every ***** deed" road..

Pish

Billychaotic182
25-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I'll See you in another life brother

Ally
25-05-2010, 10:49 AM
:agree:

I loved Lost throughout all the years it's been on but that was just one giant cop out if you ask me..

Didn't answer ****all, very dissappointed they went down the predictable "Every ***** deed" road..

Pish

They weren't all dead. Everything that happened on the island was real, the flash sideways was when they had all died. Presumably the plane got off the island, Hurley + Ben lived on the island for a bit before eventually dying and then they all came together at the end. That's why Hurley says to Ben you were a great number 2.

Judas Iscariot
25-05-2010, 11:51 AM
They weren't all dead. Everything that happened on the island was real, the flash sideways was when they had all died. Presumably the plane got off the island, Hurley + Ben lived on the island for a bit before eventually dying and then they all came together at the end. That's why Hurley says to Ben you were a great number 2.

Who says?

You?

Nae answers just emotional bull****..

If you enjoyed that your either a bird or a poof :agree:

RoslinInstHibby
25-05-2010, 12:26 PM

:boo hoo: that was quality

Hibee-Bongo
25-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Who says?

You?

Nae answers just emotional bull****..

I too thought there was a total lack of helicopter chases and naked woman to make the finale blokey enough. For a drama television programme to involve anything emotional is a total shambles. :agree:

Bayern Bru
25-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I personally thought it was a major ****** you from the producers/director etc.
Six series and 120 episodes and they employ one of the oldest, most clichéd endings in the history of film? :greengrin

I'm sure there were other options for an ending. I personally never watched it as I thought it was a pile of gash. (I gave the first couple of episodes a chance but just naw).

Hibby70
25-05-2010, 05:07 PM
did anyone notice that the height of the black smoke was less than the previous 3 series and was also a different shade?

WeAreHibs
25-05-2010, 10:51 PM

Classic !:top marks

Ally
26-05-2010, 01:39 AM
Classic !:top marks

Hilarious. I wonder how low the average IQ is on these boards is sometimes.

Andy74
26-05-2010, 11:54 AM
The whole programme was about the development of the characters, not about giving answers to every single question, the greatest thing about science fiction is leaving it to the imagination to work out. What more answers do you want from the programme?
REMOVED BY ADMIN.

I think the answers had actually been coming for the whole of the last series.

We found out why the island was special, the light that it was protecting, we found out what Jake and the other guy were up to and why they were bringing people to the island.

We know that all the people who had been on the island over the years all did so for their own various reasons and were no real part of knowing anything about why they were there or what the Jake/other guy issue was all about.

We are never going to get answers about why there is a white light down there and how it can turn you immortal or turn you into black smoke. It is science fiction after all!

The afterlife thing only really answered what was going on in the sideways flashes during the last series.

The final series itself was the answer to what the rest of it had been about.

WeAreHibs
26-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Hilarious. I wonder how low the average IQ is on these boards is sometimes.

I'd hope his comment was meant with a certain element of jest, if not, it still made me chuckle. Do you think you have a superior IQ because you "GOT" Lost? I happen to think it was a pile of pish. That doesnt mean I have a lower IQ, just a different taste.

Wind your neck in fella! :wink:

Hainan Hibs
26-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Removed by Admin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W1Qpw8rSnE&feature=related :greengrin

On Lost I couldn't get into it, watched a few episodes in the first series but got bored with it. But then maybe I'm one of these "****ing idiots" that doesn't enjoy it:greengrin

marinello59
26-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I wouldn't have thought this thread would be contender for the hibs.net' Fight in an Empty Room' award. :greengrin
Please cut out the personal abuse, we don't want to be spending time deleting posts and handing out warnings. It's nae fun.

Bayern Bru
26-05-2010, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't have thought this thread would be contender for the hibs.net' Fight in an Empty Room' award. :greengrin
Please cut out the personal abuse, we don't want to be spending time deleting posts and handing out warnings. It's nae fun.

Pricks! :greengrin

marinello59
26-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Pricks! :greengrin

Theres always one.:greengrin

Bayern Bru
26-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Theres always one.:greengrin

:cool2:
It was getting out of hand to be fair - guilty as charged! :clown::embarrass

WeAreHibs
26-05-2010, 07:36 PM
:cool2:
It was getting out of hand to be fair - guilty as charged! :clown::embarrass

I shouldnt have commented with the :top marks either, it just made a laugh. So apologies if it added to the tattle !

Bayern Bru
26-05-2010, 08:20 PM
I shouldnt have commented with the :top marks either, it just made a laugh. So apologies if it added to the tattle !

:grr::take that:greengrin

Think everyone was to blame a little bit!

Judas Iscariot
26-05-2010, 08:59 PM
:grr::take that:greengrin

Think everyone was to blame a little bit!

Not me :cool2:

:wink:

HibbyAndy
27-05-2010, 12:02 PM

That was a goospimple doon the neck moment:agree:

I never actually watched Lost from the start, i bought all the series and watched them 2 weeks ago, one after the other, Lost will never ever be matched.

Sawyer, Your a legend 'You son of a bitch! '...Hugo..'Duuuuude'...Desmond .'nuff said'..Jack 'top doc'..Sayid ' great character'...Charlie ' its not pennys boat' again a could greet...John Locke ' What is it you want Ben'...Ben ' great wee guy with evil big eyes'..Boon..'died to early'..Shannon..'Pump her hard'..Claire 'see Shannon'..Gin and Sun ' lovely couple'..Kate.. 'had a few chugs over her'...The rest..good people and characters.

Lost is gone but not forgotten.

Amen Duuude.

RoslinInstHibby
27-05-2010, 01:44 PM
That was a goospimple doon the neck moment:agree:

I never actually watched Lost from the start, i bought all the series and watched them 2 weeks ago, one after the other, Lost will never ever be matched.

Sawyer, Your a legend 'You son of a bitch! '...Hugo..'Duuuuude'...Desmond .'nuff said'..Jack 'top doc'..Sayid ' great character'...Charlie ' its not pennys boat' again a could greet...John Locke ' What is it you want Ben'...Ben ' great wee guy with evil big eyes'..Boon..'died to early'..Shannon..'Pump her hard'..Claire 'see Shannon'..Gin and Sun ' lovely couple'..Kate.. 'had a few chugs over her'...The rest..good people and characters.

Lost is gone but not forgotten.

Amen Duuude.

:faf::faf::top marks

ArabHibee
27-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Didn't watch Lost after the 2nd series but I've been told this is the best explanation. See it it helps:

First ...
The Island:

It was real. Everything that happened on the island that we saw throughout the 6 seasons was real. Forget the final image of the plane crash, it was put in purposely to f*&k with people's heads and show how far the show had come. They really crashed. They really survived. They really discovered Dharma and the Others. The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him -- even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Enter Dharma -- which I'm not sure why John is having such a hard time grasping. Dharma, like the countless scores of people that were brought to the island before, were brought there by Jacob as part of his plan to kill the MIB. However, the MIB was aware of this plan and interferred by "corrupting" Ben. Making Ben believe he was doing the work of Jacob when in reality he was doing the work of the MIB. This carried over into all of Ben's "off-island" activities. He was the leader. He spoke for Jacob as far as they were concerned. So the "Others" killed Dharma and later were actively trying to kill Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and all the candidates because that's what the MIB wanted. And what he couldn't do for himself.

Dharma was originally brought in to be good. But was turned bad by MIB's corruption and eventually destroyed by his pawn Ben. Now, was Dharma only brought there to help Jack and the other Canditates on their overall quest to kill Smokey? Or did Jacob have another list of Canidates from the Dharma group that we were never aware of? That's a question that is purposley not answered because whatever answer the writers came up with would be worse than the one you come up with for yourself. Still ... Dharma's purpose is not "pointless" or even vague. Hell, it's pretty blantent.

Still, despite his grand plan, Jacob wanted to give his "candidates" (our Lostaways) the one thing he, nor his brother, were ever afforded: free will. Hence him bringing a host of "candidates" through the decades and letting them "choose" which one would actually do the job in the end. Maybe he knew Jack would be the one to kill Flocke and that Hurley would be the protector in the end. Maybe he didn't. But that was always the key question of the show: Fate vs Free-will. Science vs Faith. Personally I think Jacob knew from the beginning what was going to happen and that everyone played a part over 6 seasons in helping Jack get to the point where he needed to be to kill Smokey and make Hurley the protector -- I know that's how a lot of the writers viewed it. But again, they won't answer that (nor should they) because that ruins the fun.

In the end, Jack got to do what he always wanted to do from the very first episode of the show: Save his fellow Lostaways. He got Kate and Sawyer off the island and he gave Hurley the purpose in life he'd always been missing. And, in Sideways world (which we'll get to next) he in fact saved everyone by helping them all move on ...

Now...

Sideways World:

Sideways world is where it gets really cool in terms of theology and metaphysical discussion (for me at least -- because I love history/religion theories and loved all the talks in the writer's room about it). Basically what the show is proposing is that we're all linked to certain people during our lives. Call them soulmates (though it's not exactly the best word). But these people we're linked to are with us duing "the most important moments of our lives" as Christian said. These are the people we move through the universe with from lifetime to lifetime. It's loosely based in Hinduisim with large doses of western religion thrown into the mix.

The conceit that the writers created, basing it off these religious philosophies, was that as a group, the Lostaways subconsciously created this "sideways" world where they exist in purgatory until they are "awakened" and find one another. Once they all find one another, they can then move on and move forward. In essence, this is the show's concept of the afterlife. According to the show, everyone creates their own "Sideways" purgatory with their "soulmates" throughout their lives and exist there until they all move on together. That's a beautiful notion. Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

It's a really cool and spirtual concept that fits the whole tone and subtext the show has had from the beginning. These people were SUPPOSED to be together on that plane. They were supposed to live through these events -- not JUST because of Jacob. But because that's what the universe or God (depending on how religious you wish to get) wanted to happen. The show was always about science vs faith -- and it ultimately came down on the side of faith. It answered THE core question of the series. The one question that has been at the root of every island mystery, every character backstory, every plot twist. That, by itself, is quite an accomplishment.

How much you want to extrapolate from that is up to you as the viewer. Think about season 1 when we first found the Hatch. Everyone thought that's THE answer! Whatever is down there is the answer! Then, as we discovered it was just one station of many. One link in a very long chain that kept revealing more, and more of a larger mosiac.

But the writer's took it even further this season by contrasting this Sideways "purgatory" with the Island itself. Remember when Michael appeared to Hurley, he said he was not allowed to leave the Island. Just like the MIB. He wasn't allowed into this sideways world and thus, was not afforded the opportunity to move on. Why? Because he had proven himself to be unworthy with his actions on the Island. He failed the test. The others, passed. They made it into Sideways world when they died -- some before Jack, some years later. In Hurley's case, maybe centuries later. They exist in this sideways world until they are "awakened" and they can only move on TOGETHER because they are linked. They are destined to be together for eternity. That was their destiny.

They were NOT linked to Anna Lucia, Daniel, Roussou, Alex, Miles, Lupidis, (and all the rest who weren't in the chuch -- basically everyone who wasn't in season 1). Yet those people exist in Sideways world. Why? Well again, here's where they leave it up to you to decide. The way I like to think about it, is that those people who were left behind in Sideways world have to find their own soulmates before they can wake up. It's possible that those links aren't people from the island but from their other life (Anna's parnter, the guy she shot --- Roussou's husband, etc etc).

A lot of people have been talking about Ben and why he didn't go into the Church. And if you think of Sideways world in this way, then it gives you the answer to that very question. Ben can't move on yet because he hasn't connected with the people he needs to. It's going to be his job to awaken Roussou, Alex, Anna Lucia (maybe), Ethan, Goodspeed, his father and the rest. He has to attone for his sins more than he did by being Hurley's number two. He has to do what Hurley and Desmond did for our Lostaways with his own people. He has to help them connect. And he can only move on when all the links in his chain are ready to. Same can be said for Faraday, Charlotte, Whidmore, Hawkins etc. It's really a neat, and cool concept. At least to me.

But, from a more "behind the scenes" note: the reason Ben's not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It's pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church -- but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church ... and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder -- the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

In the end, for me, LOST was a touchstone show that dealt with faith, the afterlife, and all these big, spirtual questions that most shows don't touch. And to me, they never once waivered from their core story -- even with all the sci-fi elements they mixed in. To walk that long and daunting of a creative tightrope and survive is simply astounding.

Judas Iscariot
30-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Didn't watch Lost after the 2nd series but I've been told this is the best explanation. See it it helps:

First ...
The Island:

It was real. Everything that happened on the island that we saw throughout the 6 seasons was real. Forget the final image of the plane crash, it was put in purposely to f*&k with people's heads and show how far the show had come. They really crashed. They really survived. They really discovered Dharma and the Others. The Island keeps the balance of good and evil in the world. It always has and always will perform that role. And the Island will always need a "Protector". Jacob wasn't the first, Hurley won't be the last. However, Jacob had to deal with a malevolent force (MIB) that his mother, nor Hurley had to deal with. He created the devil and had to find a way to kill him -- even though the rules prevented him from actually doing so.

Thus began Jacob's plan to bring candidates to the Island to do the one thing he couldn't do. Kill the MIB. He had a huge list of candidates that spanned generations. Yet everytime he brought people there, the MIB corrupted them and caused them to kill one another. That was until Richard came along and helped Jacob understand that if he didn't take a more active role, then his plan would never work.

Enter Dharma -- which I'm not sure why John is having such a hard time grasping. Dharma, like the countless scores of people that were brought to the island before, were brought there by Jacob as part of his plan to kill the MIB. However, the MIB was aware of this plan and interferred by "corrupting" Ben. Making Ben believe he was doing the work of Jacob when in reality he was doing the work of the MIB. This carried over into all of Ben's "off-island" activities. He was the leader. He spoke for Jacob as far as they were concerned. So the "Others" killed Dharma and later were actively trying to kill Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley and all the candidates because that's what the MIB wanted. And what he couldn't do for himself.

Dharma was originally brought in to be good. But was turned bad by MIB's corruption and eventually destroyed by his pawn Ben. Now, was Dharma only brought there to help Jack and the other Canditates on their overall quest to kill Smokey? Or did Jacob have another list of Canidates from the Dharma group that we were never aware of? That's a question that is purposley not answered because whatever answer the writers came up with would be worse than the one you come up with for yourself. Still ... Dharma's purpose is not "pointless" or even vague. Hell, it's pretty blantent.

Still, despite his grand plan, Jacob wanted to give his "candidates" (our Lostaways) the one thing he, nor his brother, were ever afforded: free will. Hence him bringing a host of "candidates" through the decades and letting them "choose" which one would actually do the job in the end. Maybe he knew Jack would be the one to kill Flocke and that Hurley would be the protector in the end. Maybe he didn't. But that was always the key question of the show: Fate vs Free-will. Science vs Faith. Personally I think Jacob knew from the beginning what was going to happen and that everyone played a part over 6 seasons in helping Jack get to the point where he needed to be to kill Smokey and make Hurley the protector -- I know that's how a lot of the writers viewed it. But again, they won't answer that (nor should they) because that ruins the fun.

In the end, Jack got to do what he always wanted to do from the very first episode of the show: Save his fellow Lostaways. He got Kate and Sawyer off the island and he gave Hurley the purpose in life he'd always been missing. And, in Sideways world (which we'll get to next) he in fact saved everyone by helping them all move on ...

Now...

Sideways World:

Sideways world is where it gets really cool in terms of theology and metaphysical discussion (for me at least -- because I love history/religion theories and loved all the talks in the writer's room about it). Basically what the show is proposing is that we're all linked to certain people during our lives. Call them soulmates (though it's not exactly the best word). But these people we're linked to are with us duing "the most important moments of our lives" as Christian said. These are the people we move through the universe with from lifetime to lifetime. It's loosely based in Hinduisim with large doses of western religion thrown into the mix.

The conceit that the writers created, basing it off these religious philosophies, was that as a group, the Lostaways subconsciously created this "sideways" world where they exist in purgatory until they are "awakened" and find one another. Once they all find one another, they can then move on and move forward. In essence, this is the show's concept of the afterlife. According to the show, everyone creates their own "Sideways" purgatory with their "soulmates" throughout their lives and exist there until they all move on together. That's a beautiful notion. Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

It's a really cool and spirtual concept that fits the whole tone and subtext the show has had from the beginning. These people were SUPPOSED to be together on that plane. They were supposed to live through these events -- not JUST because of Jacob. But because that's what the universe or God (depending on how religious you wish to get) wanted to happen. The show was always about science vs faith -- and it ultimately came down on the side of faith. It answered THE core question of the series. The one question that has been at the root of every island mystery, every character backstory, every plot twist. That, by itself, is quite an accomplishment.

How much you want to extrapolate from that is up to you as the viewer. Think about season 1 when we first found the Hatch. Everyone thought that's THE answer! Whatever is down there is the answer! Then, as we discovered it was just one station of many. One link in a very long chain that kept revealing more, and more of a larger mosiac.

But the writer's took it even further this season by contrasting this Sideways "purgatory" with the Island itself. Remember when Michael appeared to Hurley, he said he was not allowed to leave the Island. Just like the MIB. He wasn't allowed into this sideways world and thus, was not afforded the opportunity to move on. Why? Because he had proven himself to be unworthy with his actions on the Island. He failed the test. The others, passed. They made it into Sideways world when they died -- some before Jack, some years later. In Hurley's case, maybe centuries later. They exist in this sideways world until they are "awakened" and they can only move on TOGETHER because they are linked. They are destined to be together for eternity. That was their destiny.

They were NOT linked to Anna Lucia, Daniel, Roussou, Alex, Miles, Lupidis, (and all the rest who weren't in the chuch -- basically everyone who wasn't in season 1). Yet those people exist in Sideways world. Why? Well again, here's where they leave it up to you to decide. The way I like to think about it, is that those people who were left behind in Sideways world have to find their own soulmates before they can wake up. It's possible that those links aren't people from the island but from their other life (Anna's parnter, the guy she shot --- Roussou's husband, etc etc).

A lot of people have been talking about Ben and why he didn't go into the Church. And if you think of Sideways world in this way, then it gives you the answer to that very question. Ben can't move on yet because he hasn't connected with the people he needs to. It's going to be his job to awaken Roussou, Alex, Anna Lucia (maybe), Ethan, Goodspeed, his father and the rest. He has to attone for his sins more than he did by being Hurley's number two. He has to do what Hurley and Desmond did for our Lostaways with his own people. He has to help them connect. And he can only move on when all the links in his chain are ready to. Same can be said for Faraday, Charlotte, Whidmore, Hawkins etc. It's really a neat, and cool concept. At least to me.

But, from a more "behind the scenes" note: the reason Ben's not in the church, and the reason no one is in the church but for Season 1 people is because they wrote the ending to the show after writing the pilot. And never changed it. The writers always said (and many didn't believe them) that they knew their ending from the very first episode. I applaud them for that. It's pretty fantastic. Originally Ben was supposed to have a 3 episode arc and be done. But he became a big part of the show. They could have easily changed their ending and put him in the church -- but instead they problem solved it. Gave him a BRILLIANT moment with Locke outside the church ... and then that was it. I loved that. For those that wonder -- the original ending started the moment Jack walked into the church and touches the casket to Jack closing his eyes as the other plane flies away. That was always JJ's ending. And they kept it.

In the end, for me, LOST was a touchstone show that dealt with faith, the afterlife, and all these big, spirtual questions that most shows don't touch. And to me, they never once waivered from their core story -- even with all the sci-fi elements they mixed in. To walk that long and daunting of a creative tightrope and survive is simply astounding.

That's just some Joey's theory..

The thing that seperated lost from other Yank ***** like Desperate Housewives etc was in 1st few series the whole thing was based on scientific reasoning and interesting stuff like the numbers, pushing the button blah blah..

They forgot all that in the last series and reverted to a pishy wishy alternate life storyline and tried to tug on folks emotions..

****ing cop out

patlowe
31-05-2010, 09:12 PM
My take on things
(http://thecrosshair.co.uk/2010/05/tv-review-lost-season-6-finale/)