PDA

View Full Version : Muse

Sylar
21-05-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm a HUGE fan of Muse - seen them live 4 times (each time, brilliant) and love most of their records.

I was very disappointed with The Resistance as it sounded like they were trying far too hard to create some kind of operatic, "Queen-esque" record, which IMO, they failed dramatically. Unlike the previous attempts of OOS, Absolution and Black Holes - The Resistance received very little air-play and was quickly forgotten about by most people, myself included.

I noticed that they had been asked and had duly written a song for the forthcoming Twilight Saga: Eclipse film, as the author of the Twilight Saga is a massive Muse fan - in the first film, Supermassive Black Hole was used to great effect during one of the scenes - for all the film wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, the utility of the soundtrack worked well throughout out, personified by the use of this track for the well known baseball sequence.

I got a little optomistic when I read this, and proceeded to look up their new song, Neutron Star Collision - the title created an impression in my head - it should be harder (more like OOS) with a synth element, much like a few of the songs on The Resistance (similar to Bliss, from OOS). Boy am I disappointed - another song which attempts to emulate a Queen style, using anthemic tones, soft piano and pro-longed guitar riffs.

Green Day done the same thing when they released 21st Century Breakdown - for some reason, both bands have been more than happy to ditch their own unique sounds and try for rock-opera glory.

Fail, in my opinion.

seanraff07
22-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm a HUGE fan of Muse - seen them live 4 times (each time, brilliant) and love most of their records.

I was very disappointed with The Resistance as it sounded like they were trying far too hard to create some kind of operatic, "Queen-esque" record, which IMO, they failed dramatically. Unlike the previous attempts of OOS, Absolution and Black Holes - The Resistance received very little air-play and was quickly forgotten about by most people, myself included.

I noticed that they had been asked and had duly written a song for the forthcoming Twilight Saga: Eclipse film, as the author of the Twilight Saga is a massive Muse fan - in the first film, Supermassive Black Hole was used to great effect during one of the scenes - for all the film wasn't a masterpiece by any stretch of the imagination, the utility of the soundtrack worked well throughout out, personified by the use of this track for the well known baseball sequence.

I got a little optomistic when I read this, and proceeded to look up their new song, Neutron Star Collision - the title created an impression in my head - it should be harder (more like OOS) with a synth element, much like a few of the songs on The Resistance (similar to Bliss, from OOS). Boy am I disappointed - another song which attempts to emulate a Queen style, using anthemic tones, soft piano and pro-longed guitar riffs.

Green Day done the same thing when they released 21st Century Breakdown - for some reason, both bands have been more than happy to ditch their own unique sounds and try for rock-opera glory.

Fail, in my opinion.

Just incase your interested, NME just brought out a one-off collecters edition magazine and it's a 100-page Muse special. I think Muse are ok but i have to say i'm a massive Kasabian fan and think they are much better IMO.