PDA

View Full Version : Derek Riordan interview

.Sean.
20-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Not seen this posted, good interview with Riordan in today's Sun...

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2980016/I-scored-17-how-many-could-I-get-if-I-played-at-striker.html

keep the faith
20-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I dont read that article very positively. He is clearly not happy playing midfield (cant blame him - he should be up with Stokes) and playing quite coy about a move.

I would be gutted if we let a hibs fan with his talent go. Crazy.

GreenPJ
20-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I dont read that article very positively. He is clearly not happy playing midfield (cant blame him - he should be up with Stokes) and playing quite coy about a move.

I would be gutted if we let a hibs fan with his talent go. Crazy.

Whether the conspiracy theorists are correct and the club want rid of him coming out in the paper and talking about the old manager (who got sacked because we were dire) and how he played him as a striker and he had a good return rate is not clever. If I was Yogi I would be doing my nut at this. Its very publicly questioning the manager's tactics and not least by comparing him to a manager who ultimately was a failure.

If the club were not trying to get rid of him before I would be surprised if they weren't trying after this.

Alfred E Newman
20-05-2010, 08:34 PM
In all the years I`ve followed the Hibs , Riordan is right up there with the best forwards I`ve seen play for the club.
He might not be the quickest and the most industrious of players , and he is obviously can be a bit of an airbrain at times but letting him go for a second time would be nothing short of a disgrace.

col02
20-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Way I read that interview there was nothing to suggest he is unhappy about playing midfield. I think a bit joking from him perhaps about scoring more if he had played up front but a player who I am sure will be happy to have put in a lot more effort the season just past and still got almost as many goals as he usually does per season.

Riordans Boots
20-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Not seen this posted, good interview with Riordan in today's Sun...

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2980016/I-scored-17-how-many-could-I-get-if-I-played-at-striker.html

I would agree sean :agree:

This interview could grow arms and legs though :rolleyes: :yawn:

blackpoolhibs
20-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I would agree sean :agree:

This interview could grow arms and legs though :rolleyes: :yawn:

Yip, this could be a 10 pager about nothing.:wink:

allezsauzee
20-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I think Deek is merely pointing out the obvious. If he is unhappy with playing left midfield all the more credit to him for getting on with it and rattling in 17 goals last season. I'd love to see him proving his point next season by playing up top and scoring 25+......provided its for Hibs!

bingo70
20-05-2010, 09:19 PM
I think Deek is merely pointing out the obvious. If he is unhappy with playing left midfield all the more credit to him for getting on with it and rattling in 17 goals last season. I'd love to see him proving his point next season by playing up top and scoring 25+......provided its for Hibs!

Suppose he does that, which would be great, whats the chances of getting another left winger to contribute so much?

What about keep riordan on the left scoring 15-20 goals from there, keep stokes scoring 20+ and get a strike partner for him that will contribute regular goals all season, i know Nish came up with the goods in the last couple of games, maybe if he or benji scored more goals during the season we wouldn't of had our disastrous run from February, combine that with a stronger defence we would have the makings of an absolutely belting team

I think it's class we've got a left winger scoring that many goals, i wouldn't be moving him anywhere.

Mark79
20-05-2010, 09:25 PM
They should sign a boy I seen for Swindon the other night to play left wing. Looks a goal threat and has bags of pace.

Archie70
20-05-2010, 09:36 PM
In all the years I`ve followed the Hibs , Riordan is right up there with the best forwards I`ve seen play for the club.
He might not be the quickest and the most industrious of players , and he is obviously can be a bit of an airbrain at times but letting him go for a second time would be nothing short of a disgrace.

:top marks

Nearly 40 years of following Hibs and he's probably my favourite, player. He came through the ranks, scored goals, left (gutted), came back, scored goals, 100% one of us, score goals nobody else in the league could, heart on his sleeve.
For him to leave would be criminal and I don't think we realise how much contributes. 40 odd games, never injured, never suspended.
Is he irreplacable? Well if we can find another player to play in his position and equal his goals tally for the money that he's being touted for I'll be truely amazed.
The excitement I had the night he re-signed will be mirrored if he moves on.
He's grown up a lot and if I had my way I'd nail him to the desk until he signed an extension to his contract and I'd give him more responsibility at the club, maybe coaching the young forwards.
However someone does appear keen to sicken him. DR- pitch is bad = fined weeks wages. CN - 95% of fans know nothing, we can't defend, we're the ony team in Britain that would blow a 4 goal lead = an apology!
It was a PR coupe when we signed him and it'll be PR disaster if he goes, but as I said at the start he's one of my favourite players so I'm baised!!!

silverhibee
20-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I have my own thoughts on this interview, but i think this time i will keep it to myself. :grr:

FranckSuzy
20-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Nearly 40 years of following Hibs and he's probably my favourite, player. He came through the ranks, scored goals, left (gutted), came back, scored goals, 100% one of us, score goals nobody else in the league could, heart on his sleeve.
For him to leave would be criminal and I don't think we realise how much contributes. 40 odd games, never injured, never suspended.
Is he irreplacable? Well if we can find another player to play in his position and equal his goals tally for the money that he's being touted for I'll be truely amazed.
He's grown up a lot and if I had my way I'd nail him to the desk until he signed an extension to his contract and I'd give him more responsibility at the club, maybe coaching the young forwards.
However someone does appear keen to sicken him. DR- pitch is bad = fined weeks wages. CN - 95% of fans know nothing, we can't defend, we're the ony team in Britain that would blow a 4 goal lead = an apology!
It was a PR coupe when we signed him and it'll be PR disaster if he goes, but as I said at the start he's one of my favourite players so I'm baised!!!

Great point (in bold) and one that is very rarely mentioned. Well, tripping over dug's excepted :greengrin

Westie1875
20-05-2010, 09:52 PM

I just don't get how Petrie or whoever is trying to force him out the door can't see this? He isn't going to make us millions so many fans won't see the point in selling him when he doesn't even want to go apparently. :grr:

The Harp Awakes
20-05-2010, 10:05 PM

I totally agree with you. If Riordan leaves and we get say £500-£750k for him, and you ask the question; could we replace him with a player of the same quality and goal scoring ability for the same money, then I think there is only one answer - no chance.

Riordan simply cannot be allowed to leave Hibs for a second time in the near future, and Hibs should do everything they can to extend his contract.

Gus Fring
20-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Riordan is one of the most naturally gifted strikers in scotland, his ability for hitting a shot from long range or knowing when to drive into the box is not one that comes along very often and this is a club he enjoys playing for and is in his hometown etc so he should be happy here and we are happy to have him

But to play devils advocate,

He is also a young lad who enjoys a few jars with his mates (not a bad thing) and attracts attention from people who do not have his or the clubs best interests in mind. I do believe in "theres no smoke without fire" but i also believe the people who witness or involved in these incidents are throwing petrol on a very small flame resulting in Riordan not being able to fully unwind in his own hometown. This causes problems for the image of the club and for himself.

Not all of us are privvy to which side of his life is of the most concern to the board and club as a whole or even Riordan himself, but I will say this. Id rather have a pisshead, brawling, left winger hated and envied by every other team in the league, banging in 17+ goals a season, over a sober, slipper wearing, crossword solving striker very rarely scoring.

(Went on a bit there, sorry)

broonie27
21-05-2010, 12:58 AM
I would be gutted if he left and that idiot Hughes should be shot for not playing him just behind Stokes in a 4-4-1-1 but if he leaves we'll only get about 50% of the fee, the rest going to Celtic unfortunately. Part of his signing agreement.

NaeTechnoHibby
21-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Great point (in bold) and one that is very rarely mentioned. Well, tripping over dug's excepted :greengrin

Got in before me :agree:

For such a "slight" build he's hardly ever not played.

And he's got such a bad lifestyle, that some to think he has, that simply would have shown up over the last 8 years or so IMO :agree:

He seems to what we would call a "hardy soul" :greengrin

matty_f
21-05-2010, 01:04 AM
I just don't get how Petrie or whoever is trying to force him out the door can't see this? He isn't going to make us millions so many fans won't see the point in selling him when he doesn't even want to go apparently. :grr:

Nobody is trying to force him out - what makes you say that?:confused:

vahibbie
21-05-2010, 03:32 AM
I have my own thoughts on this interview, but i think this time i will keep it to myself. :grr:

Silverhibee, you're obviously close to Deek and I sincerely hope you don't know something negative about this.
I'm firmly in the Deek must stay camp, letting him go a second time would be mental:grr:

Steve20
21-05-2010, 06:17 AM
Why are the club not talking to him about a new contract?

I will be shocked if Riordan is a Hibs player next season. I hope I am wrong, but I have thought for a while now that the club is trying to get rid of him.

bighairyfaeleith
21-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Didn't read anything bad in that. He just seems to be saying that he prefers being a striker but will play anywhere if it means he gets on the pitch.

Sincerely hope he is at hibs next year.

Tyler Durden
21-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Whether the conspiracy theorists are correct and the club want rid of him coming out in the paper and talking about the old manager (who got sacked because we were dire) and how he played him as a striker and he had a good return rate is not clever. If I was Yogi I would be doing my nut at this. Its very publicly questioning the manager's tactics and not least by comparing him to a manager who ultimately was a failure.

If the club were not trying to get rid of him before I would be surprised if they weren't trying after this.

Why?

If Yogi is "doing his nut at this" he should get a grip and be thankful he has a talent like Riordan to work with.

Incidentally, I doubt Yogi is worried in the slightest at this.

Speedway
21-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Why are the club not talking to him about a new contract?

I will be shocked if Riordan is a Hibs player next season. I hope I am wrong, but I have thought for a while now that the club is trying to get rid of him.

Because RP signed him to sell him.

marinello59
21-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Because RP signed him to sell him.

Really? I thought it was to strengthen the team at the time.

jacomo
21-05-2010, 01:24 PM
If he wanted to stay at Hibs, I'd have expected him to say so.

Looks like he'll be away down South now.

Hibs90
21-05-2010, 02:16 PM
Deeeeeeeeeeko. :thumbsup:

matty_f
21-05-2010, 02:23 PM
If he wanted to stay at Hibs, I'd have expected him to say so.

Looks like he'll be away down South now.

I'm quite happy where I am

:cool2:

Brooster
21-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Riordan is a clas act, can score and create goals out of nothing. He is a yard ahead of everyone else around him. It is important that he is part of our team next season - preferably in the penalty box rather than stuck in midfield.

jacomo
21-05-2010, 03:22 PM
:cool2:

Sorry, but in tabloid-speak that interview doesn't say he wants to stay at Hibs at all.

We all know how the media works, especially the red tops. You are being blind or naive if you can't see the glaring omissions in that article - such as any talk of next season with Hibs, or a contract extension (surely a priority if he stays?)

Teuchter Hibbie
21-05-2010, 03:35 PM
I totally agree with you. If Riordan leaves and we get say £500-£750k for him, and you ask the question; could we replace him with a player of the same quality and goal scoring ability for the same money, then I think there is only one answer - no chance.

Riordan simply cannot be allowed to leave Hibs for a second time in the near future, and Hibs should do everything they can to extend his contract.

:agree: this is just riordan showing his err "mischievous" personality, but will doubtless be blown out of all proportion. HE MUST NOT GO!

bighairyfaeleith
21-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Sorry, but in tabloid-speak that interview doesn't say he wants to stay at Hibs at all.

We all know how the media works, especially the red tops. You are being blind or naive if you can't see the glaring omissions in that article - such as any talk of next season with Hibs, or a contract extension (surely a priority if he stays?)

Did you miss the bit about playing for hibs in Europe next year?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

jacomo
21-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Did you miss the bit about playing for hibs in Europe next year?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Er, yes. :shotdowni

But any Euro qualifying tie would happen before the end of August, no?

I don't want Deeks to leave but I still don't get much reassurance from that article.

matty_f
21-05-2010, 04:09 PM
Er, yes. :shotdowni

But any Euro qualifying tie would happen before the end of August, no?

I don't want Deeks to leave but I still don't get much reassurance from that article.

You should aim for better sources if you're looking for reassurance - the Sun is the last place I'd go for that sort of thing.:agree:

jacomo
21-05-2010, 04:19 PM
You should aim for better sources if you're looking for reassurance - the Sun is the last place I'd go for that sort of thing.:agree:

Matty, if you find any reassurances from Deeks elsewhere, please post them on here - I'd be very happy to hear him say that he was trying to extend his contract.

truehibernian
21-05-2010, 05:09 PM
100% confident that Derek will not be at Hibs next season. Others may be able to confirm, however I think QPR are ahead of four other clubs for his signature. Very good offer I believe which Hibs would never in a million years be able to match. Sad but I believe to be true.

hibiedude
22-05-2010, 04:33 AM
R01rdan is a class act and pointing out he's a striker pure and simple is a message Yogi should take on board.

Derek like any other great player has a price on his head and of Hibs get an offer they think is to good to turn down R01rdan will be sold and if that happens I'll be gutted.

I was in deeks company a couple off weeks ago and he was already looking forward to the new season

bighairyfaeleith
22-05-2010, 05:28 AM
100% confident that Derek will not be at Hibs next season. Others may be able to confirm, however I think QPR are ahead of four other clubs for his signature. Very good offer I believe which Hibs would never in a million years be able to match. Sad but I believe to be true.

What are they offering hibs though?

weonlywon6-2
22-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Way I read that interview there was nothing to suggest he is unhappy about playing midfield. I think a bit joking from him perhaps about scoring more if he had played up front but a player who I am sure will be happy to have put in a lot more effort the season just past and still got almost as many goals as he usually does per season.

thats the way i read it as well. i do hope he stays because he is a player who can give us that edge.

silverhibee
22-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Riordan is one of the most naturally gifted strikers in scotland, his ability for hitting a shot from long range or knowing when to drive into the box is not one that comes along very often and this is a club he enjoys playing for and is in his hometown etc so he should be happy here and we are happy to have him

But to play devils advocate,

He is also a young lad who enjoys a few jars with his mates (not a bad thing) and attracts attention from people who do not have his or the clubs best interests in mind. I do believe in "theres no smoke without fire" but i also believe the people who witness or involved in these incidents are throwing petrol on a very small flame resulting in Riordan not being able to fully unwind in his own hometown. This causes problems for the image of the club and for himself.

Not all of us are privvy to which side of his life is of the most concern to the board and club as a whole or even Riordan himself, but I will say this. Id rather have a pisshead, brawling, left winger hated and envied by every other team in the league, banging in 17+ goals a season, over a sober, slipper wearing, crossword solving striker very rarely scoring.

(Went on a bit there, sorry)

Child molesters Murderer's and drug dealers get a better time of it in his hometown than Derek Riordan does.

matty_f
22-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Child molesters Murderer's and drug dealers get a better time of it in his hometown than Derek Riordan does.

You could have saved a fair bit of typing by using the word "Yams":greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
23-05-2010, 08:07 AM

Its a ****ing joke mate!!! Pisses me off beyond ****ing belief!! The sad thing is(really hope u can suggest otherwise silver :pray:) I fully expect Deeks to be playing elsewhere nxt season which would be a ****ing joke imo. 17 goals from midfield! Comical that we would sell that for £400,000!! Same as we bought him FFS!!!!! Also, slightly off topic but can anyone confirm/work out if he would have been our top goal scorer this season if he had continued as penalty taker and scored all our spot kicks? Bare in mind that would discount all Stokes goals from the spot that wouldnt have happened if Deeks hadnt missed a couple and lost his confidence. Im sure he would have. Sorry for being far too lazy to work this out for myself.

matty_f
23-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Its a ****ing joke mate!!! Pisses me off beyond ****ing belief!! The sad thing is(really hope u can suggest otherwise silver :pray:) I fully expect Deeks to be playing elsewhere nxt season which would be a ****ing joke imo. 17 goals from midfield! Comical that we would sell that for £400,000!! Same as we bought him FFS!!!!! Also, slightly off topic but can anyone confirm/work out if he would have been our top goal scorer this season if he had continued as penalty taker and scored all our spot kicks? Bare in mind that would discount all Stokes goals from the spot that wouldnt have happened if Deeks hadnt missed a couple and lost his confidence. Im sure he would have. Sorry for being far too lazy to work this out for myself.

What is the point in working that out? I could make Rankin the top goal scorer if we gave him all the penalties (including all the ones missed by Deek and Benji) all the free kicks and if we gave him all the headers scored by Nish.

silverhibee
23-05-2010, 10:01 PM
A wee story in the NotW today by Davie Provan.

PETRIE FRIED

If Hibs chairman Rod Petrie is to avoid making an ass of himself he'll wipe the £2000(i believe it is £3000) fine imposed on Derek Riordan for criticising that tattie field of an Easter Road pitch.

After a hearing that would have made Robert Mugabe blush, Hibs dismissed Riordan's appeal, prompting wee Deek to call in the PFA to back him.

If they fail he should adjourn to the civil courts where he'd win hands down.

Unless they've made extortion legal in Edinburgh!

My question is why are Hibs taking this action against Derek, and felt not to punish Benji and Nishy for there outspoken comments regarding the pitch and slating the fans, if Hibs found it in there hearts not to punish these two players for there comments about things they said, how could they not have warned Riordan at his appeal that his comments were not good to the club but since wee have not taken any action about Nish and Benji wee will drop your appeal and give you a warning like wee did with the two other players.

My next question is are Hibs trying to force Riordan out the club this summer, aside from the fine regarding the pitch, the interview in the Sun a few days ago regarding Derek was a decent one, but the interview was to be held at a location that suited Derek and the reporter since Derek is on holiday just now and not in Edinburgh.

As soon as Hibs heard that this was taken place they got in touch with the people involved and demand that that the interview be held at ER, inconvenience to Derek but he went in and done it, but not happy about someone else being present at interview with Derek and Sun reporter.:bitchy:

If i was to answer my second question, it would be yes sadly. Thoughts Hibs fans.

matty_f
23-05-2010, 10:06 PM

PETRIE FRIED

If Hibs chairman Rod Petrie is to avoid making an ass of himself he'll wipe the £2000(i believe it is £3000) fine imposed on Derek Riordan for criticising that tattie field of an Easter Road pitch.

After a hearing that would have made Robert Mugabe blush, Hibs dismissed Riordan's appeal, prompting wee Deek to call in the PFA to back him.

My question is why are Hibs taking this action against Derek, and felt not to punish Benji and Nishy for there outspoken comments regarding the pitch and slating the fans, if Hibs found it in there hearts not to punish these two players for there comments about things they said, how could they not have warned Riordan at his appeal that his comments were not good to the club but since wee have not taken any action about Nish and Benji wee will drop your appeal and give you a warning like wee did with the two other players.

My next question is are Hibs trying to force Riordan out the club this summer, aside from the fine regarding the pitch, the interview in the Sun a few days ago regarding Derek was a decent one, but the interview was to be held at a location that suited Derek and the reporter since Derek is on holiday just now and not in Edinburgh.

As soon as Hibs heard that this was taken place they got in touch with the people involved and demand that that the interview be held at ER, inconvenience to Derek but he went in and done it, but not happy about someone else being present at interview with Derek and Sun reporter.:bitchy:

If i was to answer my second question, it would be yes sadly. Thoughts Hibs fans.

First off, Provan's a ****. Second I doubt he knows the ins and outs of Deek's fine (neither do I, though I suspect you probably do:greengrin) yet he'll pass comment on it.

Again, you know more about Deek's situation than I do, but I would have thought that there were easier ways for the club to move a player on than having the manager play him every week and praise him for his hard work etc.

I think Deek's fine was harsh, but that's me taking it at face value, I don't know what factors went into that decision, but I don't think there's an agenda to get rid of him - why would there be?:confused:

Jonnyboy
23-05-2010, 10:11 PM

PETRIE FRIED

It seems that there's a will at the club to move Derek on which in my opinion is very sad indeed as he is (and I've said this before) pound for pound the best footballer we have.

There's a couple of things I'd like to add/ask.

1. If they want to sell Derek, why not just sell him instead of engineering conflict? Could it be that they're trying to make Derek look like the bad guy who wont conform and so he has to be shifted out? If that's what's happening and it's entirely possible it is then the powers that be at ER are massively under estimating the Hibs support. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Hibs fans don't want Deek to leave so if there's a thought that we'll universally say 'aye well the laddie kept misbehaving so we're well shot of him' then the Board/Manager could not be more wrong IMO.

2. No disrespect to you at all silver but you'll agree I'm sure that you are only painting Deek's side of the story. Hand on heart, do you feel that the club has decided to move him on because of all the so called bad publicity? Or is it because he regularly says he wants to be a striker and in doing so he's technically at odds with his manager? Or maybe there are other reasons? Do you believe Deek has done no wrong?

Sorry to put you on the spot buddy :thumbsup:

silverhibee
23-05-2010, 10:36 PM
First off, Provan's a ****. Second I doubt he knows the ins and outs of Deek's fine (neither do I, though I suspect you probably do:greengrin) yet he'll pass comment on it.

Again, you know more about Deek's situation than I do, but I would have thought that there were easier ways for the club to move a player on than having the manager play him every week and praise him for his hard work etc.
I think Deek's fine was harsh, but that's me taking it at face value, I don't know what factors went into that decision, but I don't think there's an agenda to get rid of him - why would there be?:confused:

I think Yogi rate's Derek, always saying how hard he works at training and always brings a smile to Yogi's face when Derek does something spectactular in training and in games, i would say it is more upstairs people who are touting Derek to clubs around Euorpe as wee speak.:grr:, and there is a number of clubs showing interest him. :boo hoo:

skipster7
23-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Fwiw i find it strange regarding some of the bad behaviour stuff that gets labled at deek.what is it that he's done thats so bad since we brought him back to ER that would lead to us wanting to offload him ?
Imo if Hibs aren't going to offer him a deal THIS summer then they would quite happily move him on which would be scandalous:bitchy:.Only one thing has changed since we brought him back and thats yogi, so are we to believe he doesn't see deek as part of his plans ? seems a bit much to engineer all this fine crap if thats the case :confused:
I cant believe we could let a guy go who would score 100 goals for us:grr:

sleeping giant
23-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Does anyone know if he has been offered a new contract recently ? :dunno:

Westie1875
23-05-2010, 10:44 PM
I think Yogi rate's Derek, always saying how hard he works at training and always brings a smile to Yogi's face when Derek does something spectactular in training and in games, i would say it is more upstairs people who are touting Derek to clubs around Euorpe as wee speak.:grr:, and there is a number of clubs showing interest him. :boo hoo:

If Yogi is happy with him that should be it, end of story. If upstairs are interfering with this they need to get a grip and stop behaving like Romanov. They should be offering him a new contract, not trying to get rid.

silverhibee
23-05-2010, 11:09 PM
It seems that there's a will at the club to move Derek on which in my opinion is very sad indeed as he is (and I've said this before) pound for pound the best footballer we have.

There's a couple of things I'd like to add/ask.

1. If they want to sell Derek, why not just sell him instead of engineering conflict? Could it be that they're trying to make Derek look like the bad guy who wont conform and so he has to be shifted out? If that's what's happening and it's entirely possible it is then the powers that be at ER are massively under estimating the Hibs support. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Hibs fans don't want Deek to leave so if there's a thought that we'll universally say 'aye well the laddie kept misbehaving so we're well shot of him' then the Board/Manager could not be more wrong IMO.

2. No disrespect to you at all silver but you'll agree I'm sure that you are only painting Deek's side of the story. Hand on heart, do you feel that the club has decided to move him on because of all the so called bad publicity? Or is it because he regularly says he wants to be a striker and in doing so he's technically at odds with his manager? Or maybe there are other reasons? Do you believe Deek has done no wrong?

Sorry to put you on the spot buddy :thumbsup:

I will try and answer the two questions in one Jonnyboy.

I think it is all down to money, Hibs paid a small fee to celtc for Derek and brought him back to ER, his wages would have been up there with the top earners, if not the top earner at the time.

I now think Hibs would like to sell Derek to recoup the money they have spent on him in wages and get a fee for him now, as i dont think Hibs can afford to give Derek a new improved contract at Hibs to keep him at ER for the next three years, nothing has been offered anyway, not even a hint of it.

So if Rod or SL get an offer in the region off £750,000 for Derek this summer i think Hibs will accept it and it coud be Derek moving on from Hibs sadly. If it does happen i wonder what Yogi will think off upstairs getting rid of a player he rate's on the pitch.

If Derek leaves i am sure the bad publicity will still continue, it will only be another player that is making it for Hibs.:wink:

silverhibee
23-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Does anyone know if he has been offered a new contract recently ? :dunno:

Not even a hint off it.

Jonnyboy
23-05-2010, 11:14 PM

I think it is all down to money, Hibs paid a small fee to celtc for Derek and brought him back to ER, his wages would have been up there with the top earners, if not the top earner at the time.

I now think Hibs would like to sell Derek to recoup the money they have spent on him in wages and get a fee for him now, as i dont think Hibs can afford to give Derek a new improved contract at Hibs to keep him at ER for the next three years, nothing has been offered anyway, not even a hint of it.

So if Rod or SL get an offer in the region off £750,000 for Derek this summer i think Hibs will accept it and it coud be Derek moving on from Hibs sadly. If it does happen i wonder what Yogi will think off upstairs getting rid of a player he rate's on the pitch.

If Derek leaves i am sure the bad publicity will still continue, it will only be another player that is making it for Hibs.:wink:

So it's down to the wage structure as much as anything else as I'm guessing Derek would be hoping for some sort of pay rise in any new contract offered.

I had hoped that Hibs would think seriously about examining their wage structure practice, given the solid financial footing the club is in and given the fact that the training centre is paid for and, I think, only mortgages are due for the building of stands.

I'll be saddened if Derek is sold and I'll be more than interested to see his replacement as the guy will need to score at least 20 a season as well as tracking back and being complimentary about the playing surface :wink:

ekhibee
23-05-2010, 11:27 PM
So it's down to the wage structure as much as anything else as I'm guessing Derek would be hoping for some sort of pay rise in any new contract offered.

I had hoped that Hibs would think seriously about examining their wage structure practice, given the solid financial footing the club is in and given the fact that the training centre is paid for and, I think, only mortgages are due for the building of stands.

I'll be saddened if Derek is sold and I'll be more than interested to see his replacement as the guy will need to score at least 20 a season as well as tracking back and being complimentary about the playing surface :wink:
If it is indeed the wage structure then history seems to be repeating itself. Was this not the major reason he left last time? That the likes of Caldwell and O'Connor were getting more than him? Ok, there seem to be a few conclusions drawn here without too much factual evidence at this stage, but it would be a great shame to lose a player like that because of this for the second time. Then again, I don't know what wages Riordan is actually on, and how that compares with other members of the squad. I have thought that for some time Hibs wage structure is too rigid, but that's just my opinion.

vahibbie
24-05-2010, 12:17 AM

That all sounds rather sad mate.
I appreciate Rod likes the feel of money but to have brought Deek back and now try to punt him for profit sounds mercenary to me. If Deek wants to stay at ER then we should be looking to modify our structure to make sure that happens. Deek knows our wage scales and if he wants to stay I don't think he will looking to bankrupt us over a new contract.

bighairyfaeleith
24-05-2010, 01:15 AM
I'd hate to see him go but if we bust the scale for him then stokes will want more money, miller will want more money and it will keep going up. I'd rather get another season out of him though and lose him for nowt because £750k just isn't worth it.

I'm sure if he does leave, it probably won't be the last we see of deeks in a hibs top.

hibee4life1983
24-05-2010, 02:06 AM
Not even a hint of a contract was offerd to murray until late on

Same will happen with deek, its jus rod being sleekit again!

IWasThere2016
24-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Nid was given a poor first offer from Hibs. It was improved after Barr signed for the Yams. Fair to say also that it was highly unlikely any club would pay a fee for Nid - unlike Deeks

bighairyfaeleith
24-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Nid was given a poor first offer from Hibs. It was improved after Barr signed for the Yams. Fair to say also that it was highly unlikely any club would pay a fee for Nid - unlike Deeks

Nid??

cockneymike
24-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Silver's thought seem very logical - but I would wonder if the wages scales might not be on the verge of changing?

As RP's policy has always been to base wages on turnover, rather than transfer fees, and if we were to get to the group stage ( big ask I know), or more realistically just sustain some sort of a domestic run ie compete for 3rd all season. Then with the new stand, and added capacity especially for derbies and OF games, there would be a hope that average attendences would increase to maybe the 15k/16k+ mark. Which may allow a little more flexibility on the old wage scale come Christmas time.

I might be being wildly optimistic, but we can but hope!

Dinkydoo
24-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Don't see anything bad in that interview apart from he'd prefer to be upfront with Stokes than LM.

The whole being fined over slating the pitch nonsense really annoyed me at the time and after Nish's comments going unpunished it certainley appears as though someone at ER has 'got it in' for Deeks.

It's a shame really, a shame that they can't seem to see that if Deeks is pushed out the ER door then you can put your money on our new stand being half full next season.

If someone isn't trying to get rid of him then I'd like to know why talking about blades of grass is apparently more important than slating supporters - or does the groundsman actually pay for all he season tickets each year out his own pocket.....:rolleyes:

Bad Martini
24-05-2010, 11:38 AM
If Riordan goes (and accepts the move - remember he has to accept it too) we will lose money.

Any fee we get won't be anywhere near what he's worth to us at Easter Road.

Goals, assists and general "deek-factor" for kids with shirts, merchandise etc etc (and that last point is NOT pish - you need only read this thread for plenty older Hibbys telling you how pleasing Riordan is on the eye and how he contributes to the team, in their opinion as much as anyone if not more, than some, over the last 10, 20 or even 30+ YEARS!!)

The goals and assists tho, are what really counts - the bottom line is this:

Unless we bring someone in to do what Deek does (or more) for the same (or less) money we are going to LOSE OUT if Riordan is allowed to go, all in the chase of "profit". Fact.

The same **** happened last time ... it didn't take too long for some of the Riordan serial haters to be screaming for him to be brought home....me, I think it was ***** criminal he was let go the first time and that had an air of managerial and board influence .......... twice would be ****ing nuts.

ENDOF :grr:

Dunbar Hibee
24-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Nid??

Ian Murray.

soupy
24-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Petrie get the laddie signed up now, things like this might sell a few extra season tickets...

Stevie Reid
24-05-2010, 01:45 PM
If Riordan goes (and accepts the move - remember he has to accept it too) we will lose money.

Goals, assists and general "deek-factor" for kids with shirts, merchandise etc etc (and that last point is NOT pish - you need only read this thread for plenty older Hibbys telling you how pleasing Riordan is on the eye and how he contributes to the team, in their opinion as much as anyone if not more, than some, over the last 10, 20 or even 30+ YEARS!!)

Unless we bring someone in to do what Deek does (or more) for the same (or less) money we are going to LOSE OUT if Riordan is allowed to go, all in the chase of "profit". Fact.

The same **** happened last time ... it didn't take too long for some of the Riordan serial haters to be screaming for him to be brought home....me, I think it was ***** criminal he was let go the first time and that had an air of managerial and board influence .......... twice would be ****ing nuts.

Hardly 'end of'. Anyone of a Hibs persuasion and blessed with a pair of eyes will want Deek to stay at ER, but it's not that simple. I said similar around the time of Ian Murray's contract discussions last year - this is the last big contract that DR will sign and he may well be looking for one last big pay day, which he will certainly get down South - if Deek were to be offered £5k a week more down there (perfectly possible) and signed a 2 year deal, then he's half a million pounds richer than he would've been staying here, and that's before win bonuses and goal bonuses.

If the stories regarding QPR and the like are to be believed, we will have no chance of coming anywhere close to those wages, and nor should we. Similarly, Deek has every right to try and maximise his income while he can, he has to think about life after he retires also.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be devastated if we lose him again, but it's perfectly possible that it could happen with neither club nor player being at fault, or worthy of criticism. If he's likely to leave for nothing at the end of his contract I would rather he was sold for a good fee now, than leave for nothing at the end of next season (when, if he has another season like this one, Stokes may well be on his way as well). Selling him this close season would not only bring in a good fee but also free up a significant wage.

Are we likely to replace his goals? No, not really, but the financial situation at Hibs will mean that we're more likely to see more money spent on a replacement than at any other time in our recent history. Remember we made a pretty significant outlay to get him back in the first place. Also bear in mind that in the past we sold Paul Wright and replaced him with Keith Wright, simlarly last year we sold Fletch and got Stokes. Who knows who we could end up with?

Even if he does go, I firmly believe that Deek will return and finish his career at Hibs. His pace has been gone for a while now, but his other attributes are superb, and will allow him to be a highly effective forward player well into his 30s.

robinhood
24-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Not even a hint off it.

I am sure my opinion as as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit.

But here goes anyway, do you think the club are trying to goad him in to some sort of reaction? a transfer request perhaps?

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-05-2010, 03:20 PM
What is the point in working that out? I could make Rankin the top goal scorer if we gave him all the penalties (including all the ones missed by Deek and Benji) all the free kicks and if we gave him all the headers scored by Nish.

Purely out of interest! Sorry for breathing. Was jst interested how many he may have ended up on had he not missed a couple of pens at the start of the season. 17 goals from midfield is a great return, jst thinking that had things been slightly different then he may have ended up in the 20's. Was wondering the last time we had a midfielder hitting the 20 goal mark. The Rankin comparison is a tad ridiculous imo...

matty_f
24-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Purely out of interest! Sorry for breathing. Was jst interested how many he may have ended up on had he not missed a couple of pens at the start of the season. 17 goals from midfield is a great return, jst thinking that had things been slightly different then he may have ended up in the 20's. Was wondering the last time we had a midfielder hitting the 20 goal mark. The Rankin comparison is a tad ridiculous imo...
It was meant to be!:greengrin

Stevie Reid
24-05-2010, 05:58 PM

PETRIE FRIED

Provan is an odious wee prick - I've seen him write tens of items about Hibs, none of them complimentary, many attacking us for some pathetic reason. Back when he used to write for the Daily Express he also referred to the atmosphere in the East Stand at ER as 'poisonous' - this from a guy who played in Old Firm matches. Poor wee lamb must've had a hard time when he visited us back in his playing career.

He is a p!sh co-commentator who makes the same points over and over again during the course of a game, and given his limited achievements in the game (perhaps due to injury), he has an incredibly inflated sense of his own importance and takes himself ridiculously seriously. He also introduced the story of Tore Andre Flo signing for Rangers by saying: -

"More than 20 years after I became Scottish football's most expensive signing..."

He truly is the *** his Mother should've swallowed. Or spat out.

Bob Box Fish
24-05-2010, 06:19 PM
If Deeks left I would be disappointed but not gutted.

Big IF, but IF we could change the shape / style of our team to make us harder to beat I would accept Riordan leaving.

IF we could bring in players that could grind out and hang on to 1-0 wins away from home on a Wednesday night other than the current midgets who cant hold out for 20 mins with a four goal cushion then I would be delighted.

No doubting Riordans ability to put the ball into the net but I think our WHOLE midfield needs re-vamped going forward.

I would like a midfield mindset like Dundee Utd where they still have flair but can stick in and grind out results, holding onto the ball, running it into corners in the last few minutes and battling for everything. Our current lot are just weak passive midgets when the going gets tough and surrender to the slightest of pressure.

Personally, I am up for a whole team revamp keeping Murray, Hanlon, Wotherspoon, Bamba (unlikely though) and Stokes as a starting point. Just my opinion though.

punks_jump_up
25-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Derek had a couple of "meetings" at the weekend with English Championship managers.
I suppose he has to keep his options open :confused:

Jim44
26-05-2010, 08:22 AM
It might be another case of lazy journalism, with the Scotsman belatedly picking up the thread of this Riordan interview, but they have a bit about his enthusiasm for the forthcoming Europa Cup campaign. HERE. (http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Derek-Riordan--relishing-big.6319440.jp)

matty_f
26-05-2010, 08:49 AM
It might be another case of lazy journalism, with the Scotsman belatedly picking up the thread of this Riordan interview, but they have a bit about his enthusiasm for the forthcoming Europa Cup campaign. HERE. (http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Derek-Riordan--relishing-big.6319440.jp)

They've lifted it from Deek's interview with Hibs TV. :agree:

EskbankHibby
26-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Hardly 'end of'. Anyone of a Hibs persuasion and blessed with a pair of eyes will want Deek to stay at ER, but it's not that simple. I said similar around the time of Ian Murray's contract discussions last year - this is the last big contract that DR will sign and he may well be looking for one last big pay day, which he will certainly get down South - if Deek were to be offered £5k a week more down there (perfectly possible) and signed a 2 year deal, then he's half a million pounds richer than he would've been staying here, and that's before win bonuses and goal bonuses.

If the stories regarding QPR and the like are to be believed, we will have no chance of coming anywhere close to those wages, and nor should we. Similarly, Deek has every right to try and maximise his income while he can, he has to think about life after he retires also.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be devastated if we lose him again, but it's perfectly possible that it could happen with neither club nor player being at fault, or worthy of criticism. If he's likely to leave for nothing at the end of his contract I would rather he was sold for a good fee now, than leave for nothing at the end of next season (when, if he has another season like this one, Stokes may well be on his way as well). Selling him this close season would not only bring in a good fee but also free up a significant wage.

Are we likely to replace his goals? No, not really, but the financial situation at Hibs will mean that we're more likely to see more money spent on a replacement than at any other time in our recent history. Remember we made a pretty significant outlay to get him back in the first place. Also bear in mind that in the past we sold Paul Wright and replaced him with Keith Wright, simlarly last year we sold Fletch and got Stokes. Who knows who we could end up with?

Even if he does go, I firmly believe that Deek will return and finish his career at Hibs. His pace has been gone for a while now, but his other attributes are superb, and will allow him to be a highly effective forward player well into his 30s.

Pretty much my thoughts on this well summed up.

The fine for the critcism of the pitch is petty, vindictive and worryingly jambo-esque though i have to say.

basehibby
26-05-2010, 09:43 AM
I don't think there's any conspiracy from Rod or anyone else to get rid of Deek. I think he's just playing it by the book - albeit inadvisedly in this case IMO.
Deeks has been no stranger to front page headlines which is presumably why there was no hesitation in fining him for his comments about the pitch - it could easily have been a suspended fine from a previous incident afterall. As I said at the time though, I think it was a bad move - about as sensible as fining someone for saying the sky is blue.

But now noone wants to back down and what was a throwaway remark has the potential to cause real problems. So, in this case, I'd say the pragmatic thing for the board to do would be to back down and make the fine a suspended one. This wouldn't be too hard to justify as Benji and Nish also came out with ill advised remarks in the press and got away with it. Also, Deeks' previous was all to do with his stormy relationship with Edinburgh's nightclub staff - given he's stayed out of trouble in that respect for a while it could be seen as a tad harsh to then throw the book at him for something completely unrelated.

Stevie Reid
26-05-2010, 10:05 AM
The fine for the critcism of the pitch is petty, vindictive and worryingly jambo-esque though i have to say.

I don't think there's any conspiracy from Rod or anyone else to get rid of Deek. I think he's just playing it by the book - albeit inadvisedly in this case IMO.
Deeks has been no stranger to front page headlines which is presumably why there was no hesitation in fining him for his comments about the pitch - it could easily have been a suspended fine from a previous incident afterall. As I said at the time though, I think it was a bad move - about as sensible as fining someone for saying the sky is blue.

But now noone wants to back down and what was a throwaway remark has the potential to cause real problems. So, in this case, I'd say the pragmatic thing for the board to do would be to back down and make the fine a suspended one. This wouldn't be too hard to justify as Benji and Nish also came out with ill advised remarks in the press and got away with it. Also, Deeks' previous was all to do with his stormy relationship with Edinburgh's nightclub staff - given he's stayed out of trouble in that respect for a while it could be seen as a tad harsh to then throw the book at him for something completely unrelated.

Agree with both of these posts.

Sandy
26-05-2010, 10:18 AM

That's it in a nutshell for me :top marks

Jim44
26-05-2010, 11:03 AM
If Riordan leaves, it won't be of his own volition. He will have been pushed by Petrie and/or Hughes. The fine is a bit of a red herring, IMHO.

Phil MaGlass
27-05-2010, 10:22 AM
If he is let go it will be one of the most criminal things I will have seen take place at Er in all my years he cant be let go.To score 17 odd goals from the left is great theres not many can do that,the guy will be irreplacable,and we will by no means get enough fee to justify his goal rate. GET HIM SIGNED FOR LONGER