PDA

View Full Version : Favourite European run

scoopyboy
20-05-2010, 04:35 PM
My favourite Hibs run in Europe was 72-73 season when we were in the European Cup Winners Cup.

I was too young to go to the away ties but was at the home games.

6-1 at home to Sporting Lisbon, 7-1 at home to FC Besa and 4-2 at home to Hajduk Split were three brilliant nights.

On checking through the list of qualifiers I see that all three are in next seasons competition, what odds on playing one of them?

StevieC
20-05-2010, 04:55 PM
At 44 years of age I am too young to remember a "run".

:boo hoo:

Hainan Hibs
20-05-2010, 05:20 PM
European run? You mean actually getting past one round? That sounds interesting:greengrin

Frazerbob
20-05-2010, 05:32 PM
The only "run" I can remember was beating Videoton then losing in ET to Liege. Unless we count the Intertattie "run" a few years ago.

Pretty poor show considering I'm 37 years old!

Kojock
20-05-2010, 05:58 PM
My favourite Hibs run in Europe was 72-73 season when we were in the European Cup Winners Cup.

6-1 at home to Sporting Lisbon, 7-1 at home to FC Besa and 4-2 at home to Hajduk Split were three brilliant nights.

On checking through the list of qualifiers I see that all three are in next seasons competition, what odds on playing one of them?

Remember it well, we even let Sporting score first at ER. Remember the second leg of the Split game it was meant to be live on TV in the afternoon, managed to skip school to watch it but the game could not be shown due to a technical fault. Mind you we got gubbed 3-0 :boo hoo:

Hiber-nation
20-05-2010, 09:12 PM
Remember it well, we even let Sporting score first at ER. Remember the second leg of the Split game it was meant to be live on TV in the afternoon, managed to skip school to watch it but the game could not be shown due to a technical fault. Mind you we got gubbed 3-0 :boo hoo:

I was distraught after that game. I honestly thought we were gonny win the thing!

The Sporting game at home has to be one of the best nights ever at ER, never heard an atmosphere like it.

erskine-hibby
20-05-2010, 09:15 PM

Good days indeed:agree:

IberianHibernian
20-05-2010, 10:14 PM

On checking through the list of qualifiers I see that all three are in next seasons competition, what odds on playing one of them?Was at all 3 home games too . Sporting Lisbon is still my favourite match . I remember being in "Cave" ( now FF ) at Besa match - they opened half of it specially for match ( other half was already seated ).
Hadjuk Split match - away goals killed it for us though I think Blackley was sent off in return too . Not sure if we`ve had a 3 - round run since . I remember Malmo , Victoria Guimaraes then losing to Liverpool in 70 -71.. btw you say " too young " to go t away games but I doubt we had many if any away fans at these games , especially in Besa .

monktonharp
20-05-2010, 11:09 PM

On checking through the list of qualifiers I see that all three are in next seasons competition, what odds on playing one of them?:agree:love to get Besa again. I think we played/or if we beat Hajduk that was us into the QF ? Where's Jonny?:cool2:

iwasthere1972
20-05-2010, 11:12 PM
:agree:love to get Besa again. I think we played/or if we beat Hajduk that was us into the QF ? Where's Jonny?:cool2:

Hajduk was the quarter final. Should have been our year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibernian_F.C._in_Europe

vahibbie
21-05-2010, 03:41 AM

Was at all 3 as well. Unfortunately the Hajduk game was during one of our famous post New Year slumps:grr:
6-1 against Sporting Lisbon....pretty damn impressive:agree:

Ritchie
21-05-2010, 08:00 AM
i can only remember AEK athens, Vetra, Dnipro, Odense & Elfsborg.... all of which didnt end well :boo hoo:

scoopyboy
21-05-2010, 08:26 AM
i can only remember AEK athens, Vetra, Dnipro, Odense & Elfsborg.... all of which didnt end well :boo hoo:

If you can remember all them games then surely you remember Dinaburg

Ritchie
21-05-2010, 08:42 AM

:agree: the only European Victory i've witnessed (over 2 legs), only for us to get defeated by the mighty Odense!! :grr:

3pm
21-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Since Hibs have been rubbish in Europe in my lifetime, my favourite European Run was Rocky Balboa doing his training before his scrap with Ivan Drago. :agree:

we are hibs
21-05-2010, 12:15 PM

i remember that game bloody rain was terrible in first leg at ER but we won 5-0 anyway

jgl07
21-05-2010, 12:48 PM
:agree: the only European Victory i've witnessed (over 2 legs), only for us to get defeated by the mighty Odense!! :grr:
Odense were and are a decent team. Look at their Coefficient (14.970) which is over twice that of Hibs.

It didn't help playing them in the middle of their season when Hibs were barely out of pre-season training.

You could say much the same about the Elfsborg defeat.

Ritchie
21-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Odense were and are a decent team. Look at their Coefficient (14.970) which is over twice that of Hibs.

It didn't help playing them in the middle of their season when Hibs were barely out of pre-season training.

You could say much the same about the Elfsborg defeat.

all these facts dont make it any easier to take though!!

seanraff07
21-05-2010, 05:52 PM

I remember that we won 3-1 at home but got beat 2-0 away from home.

Even Paul Dalglish scored for us in the home leg.:greengrin

iwasthere1972
21-05-2010, 09:09 PM
I remember that we won 3-1 at home but got beat 2-0 away from home.

Even Paul Dalglish scored for us in the home leg.:greengrin

Sure it was 2-1 and 0-1. :wink:

Jonnyboy
21-05-2010, 09:09 PM

You might enjoy reading this J :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?18-Sporting-Affair

Hunts
21-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Got to be the best result in our European history but my mate started the above chant which would never stand the test of time but at that time he was convinced i was hilarious.

Whatever happened in getting there the records will show we are in Europe and we should enjoy the moment. In the 70s I thought it was the norm so was not that special. IT IS !!!!

seanraff07
22-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Sure it was 2-1 and 0-1. :wink:

Yep your right, my mistake.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
22-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Got to be the best result in our European history but my mate started the above chant which would never stand the test of time but at that time he was convinced i was hilarious.

Whatever happened in getting there the records will show we are in Europe and we should enjoy the moment. In the 70s I thought it was the norm so was not that special. IT IS !!!!

:agree: :top marks

scoopyboy
22-05-2010, 09:32 AM
You might enjoy reading this J :greengrin

http://www.hibs.net/content.php?18-Sporting-Affair

A good read J.

Thing that gets me is that I was too young to appreciate what we really had that season and I didn't think at the time that it was anything special.

If I was that Marty McFly chap I would go back to the 1902 Cup Final, the Famous Five League winning seasons and 1972-73 season.

Sas_The_Hibby
22-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Regarding the 72-73 Cup Winners' Cup Run (needless to say we were in as Cup Runners Up!!:rolleyes:), I wasn't at the Sporting game but was at the Besa and Split home games..

If my memory serves me - and it often doesn't! - we should have won at home against Hajduk Split much more convincingly, as I recall us being totally dominant and conceding a couple of unnecessary goals (some things never change! :grr:). Even so, we'd looked so good and Hajduk had looked so average that I still thought 4-2 was more than enough to see us through. The rest is history, though I prefer the alternative history where we beat Leeds United in the semi and march on to glory at the final in Salonika............... :boo hoo: