PDA

View Full Version : NHC Charlton v Swindon (AOB "playing" for Swindon)

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Just watching the play-off game Charlton v Swindon. Alan O'Brien (remember him!? I know we've tried to forget!) has just set up a great chance within two minutes of coming on.

Pity it was in his own box!

hibeemikey21
17-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Anyone watching this?

Alan O'Brien's contribution thus far:

Been on for 4 minutes, heads the ball across the face of his own goal, giving the Charlton forward essentially an open goal, only to be denied by a great save from the keeper. 4 minutes on and the commentators have already said "he looks uncomfortable".

Oh Alan.

Also, Gordon Greer (ex Killie) got sent off for a cheeky karate kick through a guys heart.

hibeemikey21
17-05-2010, 08:26 PM
GOAL SWINDON! 2-1 to charlton, game on!! 3-3 on aggregate with 15 mins to go. SS1, get on it!!

Another mention for O'Brien from the commentators: "unconvincing".

H18sry
17-05-2010, 08:26 PM
So what do you win in this Competition?:confused:

nonshinyfinish
17-05-2010, 08:28 PM

Got to be either a motorbike or a pair of green gloves (slightly used, as new).

Jaz
17-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Hobbling about injured.

His team are down to 10 men and all 3 subs used.

He's a frickin jinx!!

Bishop Hibee
17-05-2010, 08:35 PM
GOAL SWINDON! 2-1 to charlton, game on!! 3-3 on aggregate with 15 mins to go. SS1, get on it!!

Another mention for O'Brien from the commentators: "unconvincing".

A quote from me: "For expectation when he arrived v reality, worst Hibs player EVER."

Hamish
17-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Martin Tyler --''Tenacious play from O'Brien''

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 08:36 PM
He's been on for about 15 minutes and I reckon the header in his own box was his only touch.

How managers' have thought he was a footballer I'll never know.

The man had no positional awareness at all.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 08:37 PM
Just turned it over, and whats the first thing i see? Yip, Obrien giving the ball away. Still his new haircut looks nice.

.Sean.
Did we really pay that wage thief 3K a week? :bitchy:

HibeeMG

Using my iPhone and it doesn't let me start a thread without choosing a heading!

Smart arse! :wink:

Broken Gnome
His 'wing play' just then was horrible.

lyonhibs
17-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Is this REALLY a thread on two relatively random Enlish League 1 teams that is concentrating purely on cackling at the supposed *****eness of an ex-player who left the club over 12 months and hasn't had a bad word to say about the place since??

Bravo guys.

Oh, and just to stoke your comedic hatred, as someone who has heard this from an entirely bona fide source (can't say who lest he gets the sack and I get into serious trouble), if you're spitting at the weekly wage we payed him - a decent wage drop from his Ncastle wedge - you'd best not search out what size of a sigining-on fee we paid him such that he would accept those wages................................

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't think i have ever seen a player with less desire than him.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Is this REALLY a thread on two relatively random Enlish League 1 teams that is concentrating purely on cackling at the supposed *****eness of an ex-player who left the club over 12 months and hasn't had a bad word to say about the place since??

Bravo guys.

Oh, and just to stoke your comedic hatred, as someone who has heard this from an entirely bona fide source (can't say who lest he gets the sack and I get into serious trouble), if you're spitting at the weekly wage we payed him - a decent wage drop from his Ncastle wedge - you'd best not search out what size of a sigining-on fee we paid him such that he would accept those wages................................

Can you put a list up on what we are allowed to discuss please?

lyonhibs
17-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Can you put a list up on what we are allowed to discuss please?

Allowed to discuss whatever you like, I just think it's a bit sad that - on a thread entitled "Charlton vs Swindon" the main focus of the thread is not on the actual game itself, but folk are concentrating on slagging off a long gone ex-player.

Each to their own though.

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 08:47 PM

Bravo guys.

Actually, I started a thread too so it's two threads "on two relatively random Enlish League 1 teams that is concentrating purely on cackling at the supposed *****eness of an ex-player who left the club over 12 months and hasn't had a bad word to say about the place since??"

Of course he hasn't had a bad word to say about us. He probably couldn't believe his luck that he got away with imitating a footballer for do long and actually got paid for it!

hereford-hibby
17-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Do you think he would be more comfortable if he had his gloves on? :confused:

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 08:48 PM
Allowed to discuss whatever you like, I just think it's a bit sad that - on a thread entitled "Charlton vs Swindon" the main focus of the thread is not on the actual game itself, but folk are concentrating on slagging off a long gone ex-player.

Each to their own though.

Why are you surprised and sad an ex player, who was awful at us, and is now playing awful in this game, is being discussed on this thread?:confused:

IWasThere2016
17-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Decent game. AOB is utter mince!

basehibby
17-05-2010, 08:55 PM

Bravo guys.

I'm not surprised AOB has never said a bad word about Hibs - if I was him I'd want to forget that his time with us ever existed never mind talk about it! Not that I ever hated the guy - I always wanted him to do well but alas I wanted in vain.

So, given the sheight return he gave us on his relatively big wages, I think we're perfectly entitled to a bit of a giggle as he masquerades as a footballer for some other bunch of unfortunates - mixed in of course with some hefty sighs of relief that we somehow got rid of the useless ****:bye:.

hibeemikey21
17-05-2010, 08:55 PM

It wouldnt really surprise me if he got the winner. Just to leave us all a bit speechless! Hope he takes a pen if it gets to that stage, I can hardly remember seeing him take a shot!

Another great save by the Swindon keeper! These playoff games have been excellent!

lyonhibs
17-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Why are you surprised and sad an ex player, who was awful at us, and is now playing awful in this game, is being discussed on this thread?:confused:

Firstly, because there are 21 other players on the park, and second of all I can safely say as soon as a player leaves Hibernian FC, I couldn't care less what he does with his career, all the less so if he leaves Scotland.

I mean, have there been any OTHER talking points in the game thus far - chances, goals, controversies etc etc, or are we purely to revel in the inadequacies of a former player :dunno:

.Sean.
17-05-2010, 08:57 PM
You cannae say that on a Charlton V Swindon thread! AOB is long gone!

hibeemikey21
17-05-2010, 08:58 PM

Bravo guys.

Jeeeeesus! Lighten up man! You must be the most dull person to talk to about football! Anything that might be deemed moderately insulting/not 100% hibs is not allowed in your book then?

hibeemikey21
17-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Right, sign this Swindon keeper up. NOW.

Danderhall Hibs
17-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Right, sign this Swindon keeper up. NOW.

I turned over at HT so don't know if you're at the wind-up or not - is it the same keeper that let the ball float over his head for the 1st goal after giving an unnecessary corner away? :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Firstly, because there are 21 other players on the park, and second of all I can safely say as soon as a player leaves Hibernian FC, I couldn't care less what he does with his career, all the less so if he leaves Scotland.
Because you dont care what a player does, once he's left hibs, doesn't mean to say others do?
I mean, have there been any OTHER talking points in the game thus far - chances, goals, controversies etc etc, or are we purely to revel in the inadequacies of a former player :dunno:

I'm not reveling about his inadequacies, just commenting on how he's no better than he was at us. And remember, some said all he needed was a run of games, well i have no idea if he's got that at swindon, but i'm commenting on what i see tonight. And thats been 10 minutes, as i just turned over before full time, and i have seen enough to comment on him. PS great shot from someone, just hitting the outside of the post. Oh and Golden boy has just lost the ball again. :wink:

hibeemikey21
17-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I turned over at HT so don't know if you're at the wind-up or not - is it the same keeper that let the ball float over his head for the 1st goal after giving an unnecessary corner away? :greengrin

Haha, I missed the first half too, and havent seen the goals! From what I have seen though, I have been genuinely impressed. Probably quite easy for a goalie to impress a Hibs fan though.......

hibeemikey21
17-05-2010, 09:09 PM
He. Is. Having. A. Shocker.

Toaods
17-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I hope O'brien does the bizzo...he hasn't the savvy to take advantage of the ability and pace he has- this might turn him around. Tired legs and the opposition a man down, live on Sky and a chance of Wembley - the stage is all set.

Jaz
17-05-2010, 09:12 PM
If you are Danny Wilson who is the last player you would put on a pen in the shoot out?

Danderhall Hibs
17-05-2010, 09:14 PM
If you are Danny Wilson who is the last player you would put on a pen in the shoot out?

Probably the centre-half "cruncher".

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 09:16 PM

You were saying?
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2422262#post2422262

Aitchy
17-05-2010, 09:25 PM

Erm, because, in terms of this game, he's the only thing we all have in common. Unlike you I like to keep an eye on players who leave. Some do better than you expected (Ulises De La Cruz, Stephen Dobbie, Shelton Martis). Some turn out to be surprisingly pish (Tony Rougier, Tam McManus, Dean Shiels). Some turn out just as you expect (Alan O'Brien, Clayton Donaldson, every other player John Collins signed). Cue debate.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Erm, because, in terms of this game, he's the only thing we all have in common. Unlike you I like to keep an eye on players who leave. Some do better than you expected (Ulises De La Cruz, Stephen Dobbie, Shelton Martis). Some turn out to be surprisingly pish (Tony Rougier, Tam McManus, Dean Shiels). Some turn out just as you expect (Alan O'Brien, Clayton Donaldson, every other player John Collins signed). Cue debate.

:agree: It would be great though, if he scored the winning penalty, although i'd imagine his legs would go from under him, just running up to take it.:wink:

Andy74
17-05-2010, 09:29 PM
To be fair he's just back from injury so he's still not had his run of games!

H18sry
17-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Using my iPhone and it doesn't let me start a thread without choosing a heading!

So the NHC was not a heading you could have chosen :wink:

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Would you take him back andy?

500miles
17-05-2010, 09:30 PM
You were saying?
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?p=2422262#post2422262

Seriously BH, trawling through back posts seems to be something you do regularly. Do you not have anything better to do with your time?

Granted, AOB is useless, but Lyon's point isn't diminished by what was posted on the old thread. He was discussing how poor he was for Hibs, while this thread seems to be about gloating about the lad's failure to make it elsewhere. You are absolutely within your rights to do so, and I would have no issue in discussing how his developement was going, as he is certainly an interesting case - so much potential (epitomised in the first Falkirk game of 2008), but an absolute failure to deliver. However, I find the schadenfreudian tone of this thread a bit tasteless against a guy who I cannot remember speaking about the club and fans in anything but positive terms.

Andy74
17-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Would you take him back andy?

No it didn't work he was injured all the time and lacked any sort of confidence. What I've just never agreed with is all this stuff about him never being a football player.

He was at one stage and it's a pity he's still not back on track.

I'd take someone with any sort of pace though. Playing well or not at least there was the hope of getting round someone and getting a cross in. I can't recall the last time I thought a hibs player could do that v

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Seriously BH, trawling through back posts seems to be something you do regularly. Do you not have anything better to do with your time?
I just remembered a thread about this a few weeks ago, that he'd posted on. And saying I can safely say as soon as a player leaves Hibernian FC, I couldn't care less what he does with his career, all the less so if he leaves Scotland. was not entirely true, was it?
Granted, AOB is useless, but Lyon's point isn't diminished by what was posted on the old thread. He was discussing how poor he was for Hibs, while this thread seems to be about gloating about the lad's failure to make it elsewhere. You are absolutely within your rights to do so, and I would have no issue in discussing how his developement was going, as he is certainly an interesting case - so much potential (epitomised in the first Falkirk game of 2008), but an absolute failure to deliver. However, I find the schadenfreudian tone of this thread a bit tasteless against a guy who I cannot remember speaking about the club and fans in anything but positive terms.
The thread is interesting, and commented on, because he played for us, if he had not, there would probably be no thread. As it is, well done to him and his team, they are at wembley, a place that might suite him.

IWasThere2016
17-05-2010, 09:37 PM

His epitaph

hibeemikey21
17-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Well done Alan and Swindon!! Wembley awaits!:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 09:38 PM
No it didn't work he was injured all the time and lacked any sort of confidence. What I've just never agreed with is all this stuff about him never being a football player.

He was at one stage and it's a pity he's still not back on track.

I'd take someone with any sort of pace though. Playing well or not at least there was the hope of getting round someone and getting a cross in. I can't recall the last time I thought a hibs player could do that v

:agree: Its something we clearly lack, perhaps Galbraith will give us that in the future, but we could do with a lot more all over the park.

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 09:45 PM
So the NHC was not a heading you could have chosen :wink:

More than likely. In my defence though, it did have some Hibs content! :wink:

zlatan
17-05-2010, 09:45 PM
I was shocked and stunned to see he didn't take a penalty.

A massive guff merchant.

bandylegs_jLeighton
17-05-2010, 09:47 PM

Get the Tapatalk iphone app. It is compatible with both .net and the bounce. It's what I use to browse and post on this site when I am on the move.

PS. O'Brien is a total nightmare. Thank goodness he is off our books.

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 09:48 PM
The thread is interesting, and commented on, because he played for us, if he had not, there would probably be no thread. As it is, well done to him and his team, they are at wembley, a place that might suite him.

I know what you're saying Gary but Wembley will only suit him if he develops the ability to a) beat a man and b) cross a ball.

The guy is only useful for running in straight lines very fast. He reminds me of Adam Sandler in the Waterboy.

The_Horde
17-05-2010, 09:51 PM
More than likely. In my defence though, it did have some Hibs content! :wink:

I want a prize.

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 09:52 PM
Get the Tapatalk iphone app. It is compatible with both .net and the bounce. It's what I use to browse and post on this site when I am on the move.

PS. O'Brien is a total nightmare. Thank goodness he is off our books.

That's what I'm using. It doesn't let me start a thread without choosing a prefix though. I'm probably missing something!

Ps. I found it quite funny watching him celebrate when he had contributed the square root of f*** all to Swindon's win.

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 09:53 PM
I want a prize.

You ain't getting one.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 09:53 PM
I know what you're saying Gary but Wembley will only suit him if he develops the ability to a) beat a man and b) cross a ball.

The guy is only useful for running in straight lines very fast. He reminds me of Adam Sandler in the Waterboy.

He might get lucky? :wink:

bandylegs_jLeighton
17-05-2010, 10:18 PM
That's what I'm using. It doesn't let me start a thread without choosing a prefix though. I'm probably missing something!

Ps. I found it quite funny watching him celebrate when he had contributed the square root of f*** all to Swindon's win.

Sorry buddy. It looks like your right. I just realised that I probably haven't started a new thread using this app, so I just gave it a bash and it wanted me to select a prefix too.

Still better than safari though i say.

PS. I once said I thought Alan O'Brien was too timid for junior football, nevermind professional; all it would take is for one auldie and a greyhound in the crowd to take piss out of his glooves and his nerves would start jingling and he'd lose his touch, or, for one hardnut to give him a warm welcoming challange and he'd spend 90mins hiding. I stand by that.

He doesn't have the confidence to be a winger - maybe he would be more suited to the Brian Kerr role?

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Sorry buddy. It looks like your right. I just realised that I probably haven't started a new thread using this app, so I just gave it a bash and it wanted me to select a prefix too.

Still better than safari though i say.

PS. I once said I thought Alan O'Brien was too timid for junior football, nevermind professional; all it would take is for one auldie and a greyhound in the crowd to take piss out of his glooves and his nerves would start jingling and he'd lose his touch, or, for one hardnut to give him a warm welcoming challange and he'd spend 90mins hiding. I stand by that.

He doesn't have the confidence to be a winger - maybe he would be more suited to the Brian Kerr role?

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :wink:

AOB amazes me. I know we don't see work that's done on training grounds. I also know that most of us haven't been involved in the professional game. However, I'm bloody sure I'm not wrong when it comes to this guy. So if I'm not wrong then what is he doing to fool all these professional managers into thinking he is worth giving a wage to?

I'd like to know so I could give it a go!

greenlex
17-05-2010, 10:49 PM
I find it quite astonishing that fans cant just let it go. He played he failed and moved on. Why cant Hibs fans?

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 11:19 PM
I find it quite astonishing that fans cant just let it go. He played he failed and moved on. Why cant Hibs fans?

As discussed on the other, similar, thread, it's not a case of us not being able to move on, it's about us being vindicated in our opinion of the man.

The fact that he's not showing anything other than the flaws he had in his game whilst at Hibs shows we were right all along.

If we had to only fill this message board with full and frank discussions on Hibs only content it would be very boring.

We were passing comment on the man, not living in the past like you seem to think.

seanraff07
18-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I'm not reveling about his inadequacies, just commenting on how he's no better than he was at us. And remember, some said all he needed was a run of games, well i have no idea if he's got that at swindon, but i'm commenting on what i see tonight. And thats been 10 minutes, as i just turned over before full time, and i have seen enough to comment on him. PS great shot from someone, just hitting the outside of the post. Oh and Golden boy has just lost the ball again. :wink:

I'm sure i heard that the 1st leg of the Play-Off Semi-Final was his first start since the first game of the season, think that answers your question. Although he did have an ankle injury for the majority of the season, that rings a bell.:bitchy:

basehibby
18-05-2010, 10:19 AM

He's an ex-Hibby and on the telly for all to see FFS - so why the hell shouldn't we comment on his performance or the lack thereof???

If it was Stephen Fletcher/Stephen Dobbie there would be a similar observational thread although probably a lot more complimentary - as there was for Alan Ormen when he played in the Champion's League.

Just because the observations happen to be that AOB is still just as gash as he was at Hibs as opposed to singing his praises doesn't make it any less relevant.

Cod Boy
18-05-2010, 10:23 AM
before the play off games o brien only started 4 games for swindon been out with a groin injury

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I'm sure i heard that the 1st leg of the Play-Off Semi-Final was his first start since the first game of the season, think that answers your question. Although he did have an ankle injury for the majority of the season, that rings a bell.:bitchy:

before the play off games o brien only started 4 games for swindon been out with a groin injury

That probably explains why he was sheite again, i'm sure a fully fit O'Brien will be ripping the championship full backs a new ******** next season, if he can get himself fit, and develop a backbone during the summer break.

Cod Boy
18-05-2010, 10:35 AM
That probably explains why he was sheite again, i'm sure a fully fit O'Brien will be ripping the championship full backs a new ******** next season, if he can get himself fit, and develop a backbone during the summer break.

hopefully he will have a decent motorbike this time:greengrin

seanraff07
18-05-2010, 10:40 AM

And if Swindon can beat Millwall or Huddersfield in the Final.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2010, 10:44 AM
And if Swindon can beat Millwall or Huddersfield in the Final.:greengrin

Shouldn't be a problem. :wink:

bod
18-05-2010, 10:46 AM

so is the prize the iphone ?

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-05-2010, 11:13 AM
I was back at an after party with him and several other Hibs 'stars' after Why Not one night. He was even rubbish at that!! Just sat in the corner and didnt say a word to anyone! Felipe Morais meanwhile was hitting on every female in the flat:jamboak:, big Clayton Donaldson was wearing a pretty tasty pinstripe suit and matching bowler hat and Nish was keeping everyone entertained by hitting his head of all the low door frames. O'Brien literally sat in a cream puff. Was quite bizarre tbh.

HibeeMG
18-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Your lone voice amongst an ocean of Alan O'Brien worshippers?

You tried to tell us he was keek and no-one believed you?

You are to be congratulated surely!!:greengrin

Have a word will ye?

Just take a look at the post that you quoted and tell me where it has any reference to 'me' or 'I' or in fact anything that would resemble my own opinion on AOB? The amount of replies saying roughly the same thing about him should say that I wasn't the only one who thought he was 'keek'. But you knew that and are just being a tube for the sake of it?

Honestly, I despair!

seanraff07
18-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Shouldn't be a problem. :wink:

With O'Brien in their team.:wink:

RIP
18-05-2010, 03:21 PM
Have a word will ye?

Just take a look at the post that you quoted and tell me where it has any reference to 'me' or 'I' or in fact anything that would resemble my own opinion on AOB? The amount of replies saying roughly the same thing about him should say that I wasn't the only one who thought he was 'keek'. But you knew that and are just being a tube for the sake of it?

Honestly, I despair!

You do despair :dummytit:

I was never an AOB fan either - ach mibbies he's just a late developer? Let's give him the benefit of the doubt eh?

HibeeMG
18-05-2010, 04:46 PM
You do despair :dummytit:

I was never an AOB fan either - ach mibbies he's just a late developer? Let's give him the benefit of the doubt eh?

Yep, I do.

Anyway, bitching aside, there's three ways he can go. Either he just didn't fit in at our club and was actually all that he was made out to be but was unlucky. Or, like you say, he's a late developer. Or, and the one I'm putting money on, he's just garbage.

I just thought it was interesting to see if another club was getting more value from money from him than we did. It doesn't seem so.

But, then again, somebody might pick him up when he hits his peak. He'd better hope he's not been found out by then!

Craig_in_Prague
18-05-2010, 05:01 PM
I was back at an after party with him and several other Hibs 'stars' after Why Not one night. He was even rubbish at that!! Just sat in the corner and didnt say a word to anyone! Felipe Morais meanwhile was hitting on every female in the flat:jamboak:, big Clayton Donaldson was wearing a pretty tasty pinstripe suit and matching bowler hat and Nish was keeping everyone entertained by hitting his head of all the low door frames. O'Brien literally sat in a cream puff. Was quite bizarre tbh.

Met him and just think he's a very shy person.
It is possible, and it is allowed.

Though on the pitch, he ought to try coming out of his shell, otherwise he'll never get anywhere.
He has pace, and that is it. Not really enough to qualify as a professional footballer.

Broken Gnome
18-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Met him and just think he's a very shy person.
It is possible, and it is allowed.

Though on the pitch, he ought to try coming out of his shell, otherwise he'll never get anywhere.
He has pace, and that is it. Not really enough to qualify as a professional footballer.

He actually looked quite a popular part of the team last night, camera caught two or three Swindon players joking with him (and I mean WITH, not AT...) during and after the shoot out. Which surprised me as most did imagine him as extremely timid in character.

Davy Mac
18-05-2010, 09:40 PM
It has to be said the Millwall v Hudders game was bogging.

Swindon shirley will have the edge over that mob at the weekend, looked the far better fitba team even with O'Brien.