PDA

View Full Version : English clubs in chase to sign Hibs frontman Derek Riordan

Prawn Sandwich
17-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Riordan has a bit of previous over this, so Petrie will not want let him go for free.

In today's Daily ******.........
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2010/05/17/english-clubs-in-chase-to-sign-hibs-frontman-derek-riordan-86908-22264513

khib70
17-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Riordan has a bit of previous over this, so Petrie will not want let him go for free.

In today's Daily ******.........
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2010/05/17/english-clubs-in-chase-to-sign-hibs-frontman-derek-riordan-86908-22264513

£400,000? :faf::faf::bye:

Franck is God
17-05-2010, 08:49 AM
I would think that if Yogi wants him to be part of his future plans then he will be offered an extention on his current deal in the summer, if he doesn't sign it then he will go for the first reasonable offer, simple as that.

£400-500k and releasing his wage will give us a head start over every other SPL side outside the OF to get his replacement. He's already walked away once, can't see Hibs letting it happen again.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-05-2010, 08:57 AM
£400,000 :faf: For a number of reasons I really cant see him wanting to uproot and move to somewhere like Derby! QPR??...Do me a favour!! He will want to stay, whether Yogi wants him to stay however is the issue...

Auckland Hibs
17-05-2010, 08:58 AM
I would think that if Yogi wants him to be part of his future plans then he will be offered an extention on his current deal in the summer, if he doesn't sign it then he will go for the first reasonable offer, simple as that.

£400-500k and releasing his wage will give us a head start over every other SPL side outside the OF to get his replacement. He's already walked away once, can't see Hibs letting it happen again.

I could see us accepting a bid for Deeks.

PISTOL1875
17-05-2010, 09:00 AM
£400,000 :faf: For a number of reasons I really cant see him wanting to uproot and move to somewhere like Derby! QPR??...Do me a favour!! He will want to stay, whether Yogi wants him to stay however is the issue...

Football players would be quite happy to uproot and live in London......

PeterboroHibee
17-05-2010, 09:16 AM
If we got a decent fee for him wouldnt be too bothered, especially with only a year left, but £400k after scoring what, around 15 goals from midfield is a joke.

Big Frank
17-05-2010, 09:18 AM
A very good point was made a while back that we all support Hibernian FC not Derek Riordan FC.

Saying that, I am one of his biggest supporters and am astounded about some of the negative guff which has been spouted over the years about Riordan on this board.

We have a talent at ER. Real natural ball hitter IMO, and I honestly cannot see how it would be a benefit to Hibernian if we let him leave again.

The money is really irrelevant here (obviously if someone was to put in a ridiculous bid then the goalposts change as everyone has a price), but we as a support are utterly fed up with our talent leaving.

For a wee change, can we build a football team and keep it, rather than dismantle it for cash?

I challenge anyone on this board who is happy for him to go, to name a player who can put the ball in the net as good and as often as Derek Riordan, who Hibernian can buy with the quoted £400,000 - £500,000 they may get for him.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 09:24 AM
I think we need to find out what Deek wants first, before we go any further? If he wants more money, money we might be struggling to pay, then we should sell. If he wants to stay, on money we can afford, then get him signed up for another 2-3 years.

If he does not want to sign, and is happy to run his contract down, we cant do anything about that. Personally and i have no evidence of this, i feel he wants to stay. I hope he wants to stay, and i hope he does.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-05-2010, 09:27 AM
A very good point was made a while back that we all support Hibernian FC not Derek Riordan FC.

Saying that, I am one of his biggest supporters and am astounded about some of the negative guff which has been spouted over the years about Riordan on this board.

We have a talent at ER. Real natural ball hitter IMO, and I honestly cannot see how it would be a benefit to Hibernian if we let him leave again.

The money is really irrelevant here (obviously if someone was to put in a ridiculous bid then the goalposts change as everyone has a price), but we as a support are utterly fed up with our talent leaving.

For a wee change, can we build a football team and keep it, rather than dismantle it for cash?

I challenge anyone on this board who is happy for him to go, to name a player who can put the ball in the net as good and as often as Derek Riordan, who Hibernian can buy with the quoted £400,000 - £500,000 they may get for him.

Stokes :wink: Btw im desperate for Deeks to stay.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-05-2010, 09:28 AM
Football players would be quite happy to uproot and live in London......

Some would. from what I know of Derek-which isnt a massive amount-I really dont get the impression that he would.

Auckland Hibs
17-05-2010, 09:32 AM

We could rent Messi for two or three games? I hope Deeks stays though! :agree:

Riordans Boots
17-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Yogi is away on holiday - aye he will have his phone switched on but I would ignore any rumours for at least the next fortnight :agree:

Holmesdale Hibs
17-05-2010, 09:57 AM
We should do everything we can to get him to sign a new contract this summer. He would be a massive loss if he left.

However, if he hasn't agreed a new contract with only a couple of weeks of the transfer window then we should accept a reasonable offer.

Personally I rate him at more than 400k but if he is going to leave at the end of the season anyway, it would make sense to cash in now.

Walter
17-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Here here

Expecting Rain
17-05-2010, 10:06 AM
These clubs are having a laugh, as bad as the SPL is the Championship isn`t too hot either, Blackpool or Cardiff will be fighting relegation next season, hopefully along with Stoke and that other rugby league team Wigan.

Bishop Hibee
17-05-2010, 10:08 AM
£400,000 :faf:

If Fletcher is being touted in the papers at £7m then the bidding can start for Deek at £2m. If their is any truth in this then Petrie will not accept diddy money. Whether Riordan wants away or not who knows. I did hear rumours that some players were unhappy about being played out of position last season.

As far as I'm concerned Riordan is a Hibs great and we should do everything we can to hold onto him.

Hibs On Tour
17-05-2010, 10:12 AM

A *that* is all it should come down to from a footballing perspective. :top marks

EH6 Hibby
17-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Yogi is away on holiday - aye he will have his phone switched on but I would ignore any rumours for at least the next fortnight :agree:

Ah but is the Tache on holiday? :paranoid:

snooky
17-05-2010, 11:22 AM

:agree::top marks

Beefster
17-05-2010, 11:26 AM
If he goes, I wouldn't be surprised if £400-500k was the price. He's only got a year left with us.

I'd rather not sell him but anyone who is expecting much more than that is just setting themselves up for disappointment, in my opinion.

rubber mal
17-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately, the fee is more a reflection of the fact that he only has a year left on his contract rather than his ability.

That said, if he leaves, I'll :boo hoo: for a week.

Danderhall Hibs
17-05-2010, 11:33 AM
If he goes, I wouldn't be surprised if £400-500k was the price. He's only got a year left with us.

I'd rather not sell him but anyone who is expecting much more than that is just setting themselves up for disappointment, in my opinion.

I was just about to post this. He's got 1 year left - £400k is probably all we could expect.

If anyone thinks we'll get £2m they're plain daft.

clerriehibs
17-05-2010, 11:43 AM

You make it sound like a crime. He didn't let us down, he worked up to the end of a contract he had with us.

If he is planning to see out his contract (or even better, sign a new one), I'd be confident of top 6 again next year, and hopeful of getting a place in Europe again.

If we flog him off, and replace him with some nonentity (because, let's face it, more often than not our signings are failures), I'd confidently expect bottom 6.

I'd prefer Riordan to sign on again. If he's not sure he wants to (and who could blame him, what with all the doubters on here), I'd want him to do us a turn again next year, his final year of contract.

So, to all those who want to cash in; why does it make more sense to sell him off, rather than keep him. Financially, top 6 and Europe is worth a lot of money (although I admit a relegation battle would also fill the coffers in the last few home games). Entertainment-wsie, why wouldn't you want someone with goals in him like Riordan has at Easter Road?

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 11:45 AM
I was just about to post this. He's got 1 year left - £400k is probably all we could expect.

Bamba has a year left on his contract.

Danderhall Hibs
17-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Bamba has a year left on his contract.

That's why the claims of £4m-£6m are silly as well.

seanraff07
17-05-2010, 11:50 AM

I think if he has a successfull WC campaign we'd be looking at about £3-£3.5M maximum.

Danderhall Hibs
17-05-2010, 11:51 AM
I think if he has a successfull WC campaign we'd be looking at about £3-£3.5M maximum.

With only a year on his contract I think we'd be lucky to get that.

seanraff07
17-05-2010, 11:53 AM

True but if you look at some of the prices players of Bamba's standard go for in England i think £3M is a realistic price. I think if it's an EPL club that goes for him i think it could be roughly about that.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 11:54 AM

I thought we might get a huge bid this time last year, but i still think we are looking at £2m-£3m now. FWIW i agree Riordan would not command anywhere near that.

seanraff07
17-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I thought we might get a huge bid this time last year, but i still think we are looking at £2m-£3m now. FWIW i agree Riordan would not command anywhere near that.

Nah he definitely wouldn't, partly because of age but maybe because he also moved onto a bigger club before, Celtic and didn't succeed in his spell there, so if he can't break into the team at an SPL team then if he went to an EPL or Championship club now there would be doubts in whether he would be good enough or not, maybe the Championship he would be ok but not so sure about the EPL.

New Corrie
17-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Don't want to lose Deeks again:boo hoo: This would be a sore one.

Pretty Boy
17-05-2010, 12:08 PM

This.

No one pays £2M for a striker from the SPL in his later 20s with only a year left on his contract.

Titch
17-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Don't want to lose Deeks again:boo hoo: This would be a sore one.

:agree::agree:

Speedway
17-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Stressing over nowt again.

This is a classic day late ****** article. No quotes, no sources no anything, just completely made it up to fill space.

Here we go, watch:

Hibs Hitman Anthony Stokes was today a target for top Bundesliga side Wolfsburg.

Stokes has shot to prominence this season after taking his goal tally to 21 in his first season back in the SPL.

Hibs Chairman Rod Petrie wasn't available for comment but it is thought that Stokes would welcome such a move to remain in the thoughts of his European based international manager, Geovanni Trappatoni.

Stokes hasn't hidden his desire to play at a higher level and Hibs would find it hard to resist a substantial offer from the German cracks which could see him move as early as this summer.

See? Scandalous that someone's getting paid for this.

SalfordHibs
17-05-2010, 12:19 PM
In regards to Riordan i think we are sadly going to loose him in this window coming up, Riordan has made it clear if the club aren't willing to withdraw his fine he will move onto another club :boo hoo:

Mikey
17-05-2010, 12:22 PM
In regards to Riordan i think we are sadly going to loose him in this window coming up, Riordan has made it clear if the club aren't willing to withdraw his fine he will move onto another club :boo hoo:

Who has he made it clear to?

Barney McGrew
17-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Who has he made it clear to?

And how would he move on if the club didn't want to sell him?

SalfordHibs
17-05-2010, 12:27 PM
And how would he move on if the club didn't want to sell him?

The club are doing that for him mate, they are forcing him out with all this fine nonsense, other players made the same remarks and aren't getting fined.

Speedway
17-05-2010, 12:31 PM
The club are doing that for him mate, they are forcing him out with all this fine nonsense, other players made the same remarks and aren't getting fined.

How does being fined for criticising the club that pays his wages, force him out of being paid by that club?

silverhibee
17-05-2010, 12:34 PM

And when was this.

SalfordHibs
17-05-2010, 12:34 PM
How does being fined for criticising the club that pays his wages, force him out of being paid by that club?

What for making comments about our pitch...other players made the same comments so why haven't they be fined :yawn:

paxtonhibby
17-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Nah he definitely wouldn't, partly because of age but maybe because he also moved onto a bigger club before, Celtic and didn't succeed in his spell there, so if he can't break into the team at an SPL team then if he went to an EPL or Championship club now there would be doubts in whether he would be good enough or not, maybe the Championship he would be ok but not so sure about the EPL.

I dont think the reason Deeks didnt succeed at Darkheed was due to lack of ability,more imho due to the little ginger knob that was his boss.

seanraff07
17-05-2010, 12:36 PM
What for making comments about our pitch...other players made the same comments so why haven't they be fined :yawn:

Yep i'm sure Benji made the same comments about the pitch but wasn't fined.

Speedway

I don't know.

Another thing I don't know is how being fined, forces Riordan out of the club. How does that work?

silverhibee

:top marks

seanraff07
17-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I dont think the reason Deeks didnt succeed at Darkheed was due to lack of ability,more imho due to the little ginger knob that was his boss.

True, but if managers are going to pick players like Venegoor of Hesselink over him every week then if he joined a EPL team like Bolton then who's to say he would get his game infront of Kevin Davies and Johan Elmander?

SalfordHibs
17-05-2010, 12:40 PM
I don't know.

Another thing I don't know is how being fined, forces Riordan out of the club. How does that work?

By asking the club to honour his appeal which i understand they haven't, he is sick of paying out of position, personally the club should be doing everything in their power to keep a hold of him and if that includes the appeal and play him as a striker then get it done.

johnrebus
17-05-2010, 12:47 PM

If I was Derek Riordan I would certainly feel the same way.

The pitch was a disgrace and did not suit the type of football everone wants to see.

Riordan merely stated the obvious. He slated the pitch, not Hibernian Football Club and the reaction to his comments, ie. the fine, is absolutely bloody ridiculous. Whoever instigated this fine, be it Petrie or Hughes or whoever needs to have a word with themselves.

To lose Riordan again would be very, very hard for the fans - supposedly the people who matter the most - to take and its time this nonsense was sorted out - and quickly.

Typical Hibs, create a drama where none exists.

:grr:

Speedway
17-05-2010, 12:47 PM
By asking the club to honour his appeal which i understand they haven't, he is sick of paying out of position, personally the club should be doing everything in their power to keep a hold of him and if that includes the appeal and play him as a striker then get it done.

OK.

Why, in your opinion or fact, did Celtic not do everything in their power to keep Riordan?

Pretty Boy
17-05-2010, 12:48 PM

So in your opinion the club should back down over a fine it feels is just and the manager should change the system he wishes to play just to suit one player?

I don't agree with the fine for the pitch comments but at the end of the day it's not like Derek Riordan has the cleanest disciplinary record in the wrold. My guess is the fine is due to a build up of issues and perhaps verbal and written warnings or whatever have already been issued and ignored. Everyone who is in employment knows that being publicly critical of your employer in the press is a pretty serious breach of discipline.

Also i agree that Yogi is playing Deek out of position but as the manager that is his choice and right to do so. The simple fact is that he is neither and out and out striker nor a left midfielder. Part of the reason he was so successful under Mowbray was that at that time we played a system which allowed him to fit in and play to his strenghths. If Yogi feels that system won't work with the current squad or doesn't want to play it for whatever other reason then one player and a vocal number of fans should not force him to do so.

It's and old cliche but no player is bigger than the club.

SalfordHibs
17-05-2010, 12:49 PM
OK.

Why, in your opinion or fact, did Celtic not do everything in their power to keep Riordan?

Wasn't given a chance by Strachan...nothing to do with Riordan he is one the most natural finisher's in the game.

SalfordHibs
17-05-2010, 12:52 PM
So in your opinion the club should back down over a fine it feels is just and the manager should change the system he wishes to play just to suit one player?

I don't agree with the fine for the pitch comments but at the end of the day it's not like Derek Riordan has the cleanest disciplinary record in the wrold. My guess is the fine is due to a build up of issues and perhaps verbal and written warnings or whatever have already been issued and ignored. Everyone who is in employment knows that being publicly critical of your employer in the press is a pretty serious breach of discipline.

Also i agree that Yogi is playing Deek out of position but as the manager that is his choice and right to do so. The simple fact is that he is neither and out and out striker nor a left midfielder. Part of the reason he was so successful under Mowbray was that at that time we played a system which allowed him to fit in and play to his strenghths. If Yogi feels that system won't work with the current squad or doesn't want to play it for whatever other reason then one player and a vocal number of fans should not force him to do so.

It's and old cliche but no player is bigger than the club.

Some fair comments there mate cant really argue with that, but we all know where his best position is and it's not out on the wing :thumbsup:

paxtonhibby
17-05-2010, 12:52 PM
True, but if managers are going to pick players like Venegoor of Hesselink over him every week then if he joined a EPL team like Bolton then who's to say he would get his game infront of Kevin Davies and Johan Elmander?

The point Im making is Strapon never gave him a proper chance at smeltic.

Dashing Bob S
17-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I don't think the likes of Riordan and Stokes would be any loss to Hibs. Let's sign some strikers who can put in a shift and track back, so we can make inroads into that miserable 'goals against' column which rocketed while that despicable pair were messing around up front scoring goals.

Give me an honest six-goals-a-season man who charges back to get behind the ball. I'm sure most posters would agree with that sentiment.

Strikers = goals = :yawn: strikers = tracking back = :greengrin

Speedway
17-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Wasn't given a chance by Strachan...nothing to do with Riordan he is one the most natural finisher's in the game.

So a multi cup winning manager doesn't give a chance to one of the most natural finishers in the game then?

johnrebus
17-05-2010, 01:07 PM
[QUOTE=foreverhibs;2471588]So in your opinion the club should back down over a fine it feels is just and the manager should change the system he wishes to play just to suit one player?

The fine is not just. The club is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

What disciplinary record? Has he actually ever been found guilty of a crime?
Lets leave the attempts to demonise Riordan to the Yams and their ilk.

The last few months have proven that Yogi does not have much of a clue about sytems/tactics/formations/substitutions, but will continue to plough his own stubborn furrow whatever anyone thinks.

IMHO opinion Derek Riordan is the jewel in Hibs crown, and to let him leave now for a few hundred grand would be a massive step back wards for Hibernian Football Club

It's and old cliche but no player is bigger than the club

Nobody said that he is bigger than the club. But that doesn't mean he should be treated like ***** for stating the obvious.
:bitchy:

SalfordHibs
17-05-2010, 01:09 PM
So a multi cup winning manager doesn't give a chance to one of the most natural finishers in the game then?

I was only guessing, i wouldn't know anything about Celtic and i am sure neither would you :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
17-05-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't think the likes of Riordan and Stokes would be any loss to Hibs. Let's sign some strikers who can put in a shift and track back, so we can make inroads into that miserable 'goals against' column which rocketed while that despicable pair were messing around up front scoring goals.

Give me an honest six-goals-a-season man who charges back to get behind the ball. I'm sure most posters would agree with that sentiment.

:hilarious All of the above plus they must be tall.

Spike Mandela
17-05-2010, 01:13 PM
As a supporter I would like to think the club would do EVERYTHING in it's power to keep Riordan at the club.

IMO Deeks should be offered the highest wage at the club and a midfielder shoiud be signed that can accomodate him playing further up the park.

As for the fee mentioned I would rather a season of Deeks' goals than 400K especially as he has the chance to hit the landmark of 100 league goals next season if played as a striker.

RIP
17-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Ah but is the Tache on holiday? :paranoid:

That's it

It's the Director of Football (Rod) that buys and sells players. This has been the case for several seasons now. My worry is that the decision to sell Derek has already been made by Rod. These stories have been regularly appearing since around the time of the 'fine'.

If Yogi was 100% happy with his work ethic I think he would be fighting to keep Deek. However it's probably not a resigning issue.

As for DK he owes it to himself to consider a career darn sarf. He doesn't have that many playing years ahead - you need to make the most of these opportunities while you can. Especially now (did I hear it right?) he's gonna be a daddee!!

silverhibee
17-05-2010, 01:25 PM

It seems not, but even Strachan did say that Riordan was one of the best strikers of a ball he had seen, only to put a slant on what he had said in his next interview by saying that he only does that when there is no defenders around him at training. :greengrin

Pretty Boy
17-05-2010, 01:25 PM
[QUOTE=foreverhibs;2471588]So in your opinion the club should back down over a fine it feels is just and the manager should change the system he wishes to play just to suit one player?

The fine is not just. The club is using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

What disciplinary record? Has he actually ever been found guilty of a crime?
Lets leave the attempts to demonise Riordan to the Yams and their ilk.

The last few months have proven that Yogi does not have much of a clue about sytems/tactics/formations/substitutions, but will continue to plough his own stubborn furrow whatever anyone thinks.

IMHO opinion Derek Riordan is the jewel in Hibs crown, and to let him leave now for a few hundred grand would be a massive step back wards for Hibernian Football Club

It's and old cliche but no player is bigger than the club

Nobody said that he is bigger than the club. But that doesn't mean he should be treated like ***** for stating the obvious.
:bitchy:

At no point did i say the fine was just, i said the club felt the fine was just, a subtle difference. I also later on in my post state that i don't agree with the fine.

With regards to the disciplinary record. As far as i'm aware one does not have to be convicted of a crime to have a disciplinary record at work. This is not an attempt to demonise Derek Riordan merely pojnting out that given the various stories which have appeared in the papers and the clubs comments that matter will be dealt with internally the it's a fairly safe bet an employment disciplinary record of some sort will exist. I clearly state it was 'my guess' not 'a fact'.

Again i pointed out that i don't agree with Yogis systems but as the manager it is his right to set the team out as he sees fit. Derek Riordan is a proffesional football player and if he is aksed to play left midfiled he should do it(as he has done, generally well all season). I don't agree with every decision my boss makes but since he pays my wages i do what i'm asked to the best of my ability.

The next part of your post i have no idea where that came from as i at no point suggested i wanted him to leave and unless we are offered silly money or have an able replacement lined up then i want the exact opposite.

With regards to my comment that no player is bigger than the club which you seem to have taken considerable offence to. I was responding to a post in which it was claimed the club should revoke the fine and Yogi should be told to change the system to suit Derek Riordan. IMO that particular poster is placing one player head and shoulders above the club. I didn't at any point say or intend to say that any other poster had suggested such a thing.

Andy74
17-05-2010, 01:27 PM
That's it

It's the Director of Football (Rod) that buys and sells players. This has been the case for several seasons now. My worry is that the decision to sell Derek has already been made by Rod. These stories have been regularly appearing since around the time of the 'fine'.

If Yogi was 100% happy with his work ethic I think he would be fighting to keep Deek. However it's probably not a resigning issue.

As for DK he owes it to himself to consider a career darn sarf. He doesn't have that many playing years ahead - you need to make the most of these opportunities while you can. Especially now (did I hear it right?) he's gonna be a daddee!!

You are confusing doing the deal and identifying the player.

Sales are a bit different, Rod would need to take a serious look at offers too good to turn down, but the manager does get asked for input.

On purchases are you suggesting Rod is identifying players?

If so he has a strange association with players closely linked to Hughes and his contacts recently.

matty_f
17-05-2010, 01:32 PM
I wonder if the reason that Benji never got fined for criticising the pitch and Riordan did, was that after Benji did it everyone was told not to, and if they did they'd be fined...:greengrin

Edit: I don't want us to sell Deek either, but to suggest we wouldn't be able to replace him is absurd, IMHO. We probably brought him back to the club for less than we'd sell him for, what's to say we'd not bring in another player for similar money?

GreenPJ
17-05-2010, 01:43 PM

It didn't seem to do Dundee Utd too much harm by having grafting forwards this season. Top scorer 13 goals and 7 points above us in the league. Celtic, top scorer in the league 11 goals and 27 points above us in the league :devil:

Kaiser1962
17-05-2010, 01:46 PM

Agreed DH but while thats a lot of money to us its a pint and a bag of crisps in the English leagues. Everything is relative to it's environment.

vahibbie
17-05-2010, 02:06 PM
:agree:
Especially from a left mid-field position:bitchy:

A feeling of deja vu here.
If Deek goes this summer it should be by mutual consent but prior to that we should be offering him a new contract. It's bad enough we let him go once and we should be trying very hard not to repeat it.

Bishop Hibee
17-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I suggested the bidding for Riordan should start at £2m if Fletcher is worth £7m. Given that he has 1 year left I agree it is unlikely anyone will bid near that although I still think that's what he is worth given his scoring record. As for his age, he still has 3 years left at the top level.

If the market dictates that all we can get is around £400,000 then Yogi should weigh up whether it's worthwhile keeping him and his 15-20 goals in a season or if he can get the same number/more from new signings.

500miles
17-05-2010, 02:41 PM

How much did we pay for Stokes and Killen?

Big Frank
17-05-2010, 03:04 PM

How much did we pay for Stokes and Killen?

Stokes, I'd argue we were quite lucky to get him, and was due to a good few favourable conditions, the main being that he played for Hughes.

No comment on Sicknote.

Forza Fred
17-05-2010, 03:16 PM

But he didn't criticise the club or the fans.

He merely made the observation that the state of the pitch did not suit a footballing side like HIbs.

Not even Pravda in the bad old days, could do anything but agree with that statement, as it was as plain as day to everyone, including television audiences.

On the other hand, Mr Nish does not get fined for publicly slagging Hibs punters.

Now I'm most certainly not advocating that Nish should have been fined for what he said, but it does seem like there is one rule for Deeks and anohter for others when it comes to public comments.

Even the most biased Nish fan iIthink would agree that on balance, Nish's statement was more worthy of a fine than Deeks...if any of them were.

Seems to me that someone or some two in our club have made up their mind that they want Deeks to go.

Hibs90
17-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Deeks aint going anywhere.

basehibby
17-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Well - if Deeks were to leave Hibs for a pathetic and paltry amount like 400K then I for one would be absolutely incandecsent with rage.

In fact - I don't want him to leave at this stage for any amount - he's got better as the last season has progressed and I would like to see him see out his contract at ER and, in doing so, become part of the exclusive club of legendary players who have scored in excess of 100 goals for Hibs!

Knowing Deeks to be a big Hibby, I'd be very surprised if he didn't share that ambition.

It would be the first time in my 30 odd years supporting Hibs that I'd seen a player earn a place in that select group and it's something I very much want to see happening.

Derby et al can GTF :na na:

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 04:26 PM
Well - if Deeks were to leave Hibs for a pathetic and paltry amount like 400K then I for one would be absolutely incandecsent with rage.

In fact - I don't want him to leave at this stage for any amount - he's got better as the last season has progressed and I would like to see him see out his contract at ER and, in doing so, become part of the exclusive club of legendary players who have scored in excess of 100 goals for Hibs!

Knowing Deeks to be a big Hibby, I'd be very surprised if he didn't share that ambition.

It would be the first time in my 30 odd years supporting Hibs that I'd seen a player earn a place in that select group and it's something I very much want to see happening.

Derby et al can GTF :na na:

Is that worth £400k-£500k? Thats the question yogi and petrie will be asking.

Andy74
17-05-2010, 04:28 PM

It's funny that we seem to have a poor team yet anytime we talk about changing it everyone goes mental?!?!

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 04:31 PM
It's funny that we seem to have a poor team yet anytime we talk about changing it everyone goes mental?!?!

Yip, i have been thinking the same thing.:greengrin

500miles
17-05-2010, 04:31 PM
[QUOTE=500miles;2471697]

Stokes, I'd argue we were quite lucky to get him, and was due to a good few favourable conditions, the main being that he played for Hughes.

No comment on Sicknote.

Is it lucky that Hughes has the right connections? Or is that part of what being a manager is all about?

And why no comment on Killen? His goals to games ratio was highly creditable indeed. In his final season with us, he got injured in January, but still ended as 2nd top scorer in the league IIRC. Fantastic goalscoring record, and held the ball up well to boot.

Beefster
17-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Yep i'm sure Benji made the same comments about the pitch but wasn't fined.

Riordan was likely fined whereas Benji wasn't because Benji hasn't had to be disciplined by the club before.

Hibs On Tour
17-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Its more that we're talking getting rid of one of our few top-end players and thereby weakening the team rather than strengthening it. But you know that already! :wink:

basehibby
17-05-2010, 04:49 PM

Yes - a 15-20 goal a season player is worth 500K a season IMO. Also there's the (negative) effect on the morale of the support and subsequently on ST sales of cutting loose (again) one of our favourite sons to consider.

I don't know exactly how that would add up but to my mind the fiscal advantage would be minimal and the football advantage even less - so it's a big NO from me.

sahib
17-05-2010, 05:00 PM

I agree. He could also play the Matty Jack role as he passes through midfield on his way back to shore up the defence.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Yes - a 15-20 goal a season player is worth 500K a season IMO. Also there's the (negative) effect on the morale of the support and subsequently on ST sales of cutting loose (again) one of our favourite sons to consider.

I don't know exactly how that would add up but to my mind the fiscal advantage would be minimal and the football advantage even less - so it's a big NO from me.

We would get a replacement, and might get 10 goals. :dunno: Is 5 goals worth that kind of money? Personally i'd take the money, If he wont sign a new contract, rather than let him go for nothing in a year.

Bostonhibby
17-05-2010, 05:24 PM
To lose him once over money was a mistake, to do it again, without recognising how much we might lose by not having him or if we dont adequately replace him would be unforgivable unless his demands are way too much. I have a feeling he wants to stay and the board owe it to us to keep players of his ability and connection to the club and build the attacking end of the team around him - this type of player doesnt come along too often.

Riordans Boots
17-05-2010, 05:29 PM
[QUOTE=Big Frank;2471706]

Is it lucky that Hughes has the right connections? Or is that part of what being a manager is all about?

And why no comment on Killen? His goals to games ratio was highly creditable indeed. In his final season with us, he got injured in January, but still ended as 2nd top scorer in the league IIRC. Fantastic goalscoring record, and held the ball up well to boot.

He thought he was bigger than the club ... and that in itself for me personally, is a bug bear :agree: (just my opinion)

vahibbie
17-05-2010, 05:45 PM
We would get a replacement, and might get 10 goals. :dunno: Is 5 goals worth that kind of money? Personally i'd take the money, If he wont sign a new contract, rather than let him go for nothing in a year.

Of course we would get a replacement. He wouldn't be a Derek Riorden tho:grr: Who's the next closest left midfielder in the SPL to Deek's scoring record?
Is 5 goals worth it.....naw.
Keeping Deek should be high on Hibs priority. Fair enough if Deek wants to go then we should try and get as much as possible. If it's 400K, f'k it, keep him and let him go next year. I'd rather have the goals.
I think we can keep him tho......if we want:bitchy:

HibbyAndy
17-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Any clubs after Deek can fek right off! Cause we lost him once and we aint losing him again.Not for any money in the world as Renton would say.

So you listen tache man, Get the most natural finisher at ER in my lifetime signed up pronto and take they ***** £££££ sign oot your glasses.

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Of course we would get a replacement. He wouldn't be a Derek Riorden tho:grr: Who's the next closest left midfielder in the SPL to Deek's scoring record?
Is 5 goals worth it.....naw.
Keeping Deek should be high on Hibs priority. Fair enough if Deek wants to go then we should try and get as much as possible. If it's 400K, f'k it, keep him and let him go next year. I'd rather have the goals.
I think we can keep him tho......if we want:bitchy:

I'd like to keep him, but do we know if he wants to stay? Will he sign a new contract? I dont think the club will sell, i dont think he wants to play anywhere else, but if we could get a decent replacement, £400k-£500k for Derek, rather than let him go for nothing, i think we should.

vahibbie
17-05-2010, 06:09 PM
I'd like to keep him, but do we know if he wants to stay? Will he sign a new contract? I dont think the club will sell, i dont think he wants to play anywhere else, but if we could get a decent replacement, £400k-£500k for Derek, rather than let him go for nothing, i think we should.

There is always so much speculation surrounding Deek it's difficult to seperate fact from fiction/rumours.
Some of the speculation is that the club want to sell him, big f'k mistake in my opinion. I get the impression he wants to stay but I'd imagine at his age he's looking for a "wee" financial bonus. We should have paid him last time and we should pay him this time.....and I don't think it would break our bank.
The 400K-500K replacement is pure speculation. I know they are out there but you have to be lucky to get them. At least with Deek we know he produces the goods.

mjhibby
17-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Its really up to deeks not hibs.If his agent touts him then he will get more money but will he be happy.Im sure his time at celtic taught him a valuable lesson and as for players playing out of position just watch man utd and the likes of fletcher,carrick etc playing in defence if necessary.Its a team game and players should remember that but having said that im sure yogi will sort that out and get in the players in so that players are playing in their favoured postions most weeks.I think deeks will stay as he is only really happy but hibs but i wouldnt be shocked if he left.Yes he does get us valuable goals but if he wants to go then so be it.

ChooseLife
17-05-2010, 06:39 PM
You better not be going anywhere deeks!, you just got hame ffs!

I'd like to think with the way the fans welcomed him back, the least he owes us is to sign an extention, I don't think we will ever see a build up to a signing like that ever again, get him signed up till he's 35:thumbsup:

Riordans Boots
17-05-2010, 06:41 PM
You better not be going anywhere deeks!, you just got hame ffs!

I'd like to think with the way the fans welcomed him back, the least he owes us is to sign an extention, I don't think we will ever see a build up to a signing like that ever again, get him signed up till he's 35:thumbsup:

So is your money still on Deeks :cool2: :greengrin

Mine is :thumbsup:

Big Frank
17-05-2010, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=Big Frank;2471706]

Hughes did extremely well with the signing of Stokes. A signing I was absolutely delighted with. More of the same please. Other Hughes signings have not been to this high standard (a debate for another thread). The significant "lucky" if you like, issues I was pointing to were Stokes doing nothing at his club, career stalling, and had played for Hughes already. This is not a slight on Hibernian or the management.:greengrin

Sicknote? Loved him playing for Hibernian - when he did play - was off like a rat up a drainpipe. There is no way that Stokes or Sicknote could wrap 17 goals from LEFT MIDFIELD. Sicknote was very lucky as well in his Hibs "career" as he played up front in a very, very talented side. Pie in the sky for me that he can be compaired to DR.

Still can't think of anyone we could get for £400odd grand. We should/must be able to accomodate DR in some capacity. They dont come along too often and will be sorely missed when gone.

Andy74
17-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Dereks goals are obviously great but I think we can all see we lack pace we are soft and we are not all that fluid as we have lots of individuals. If it was felt that we were to go a different way for the overall good of the team and how we play then I wouldn't argue with it.

Alfred E Newman
17-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Dereks goals are obviously great but I think we can all see we lack pace we are soft and we are not all that fluid as we have lots of individuals. If it was felt that we were to go a different way for the overall good of the team and how we play then I wouldn't argue with it.

Would you be happy to see Stokes go in that case?

Andy74
17-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Would you be happy to see Stokes go in that case?

Not really. If you were to ask me which I'd keep of the two it would be stokes.

Stokes is still young and learning his trade and his goals to games in the spl with Falkirk and Hibs is remarkable.

I'm not sure riordan is a natural front player and several managers have had the same issue. Putting him left gets us a few goals from him but probably affects the team overall.

There's not the same issue with stokes.

I'd be in no rush at all to see riordan go but I'm convinced the team would be a bit more balanced with a real wide left player.

matty_f
17-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Stokes is still young and learning his trade and his goals to games in the spl with Falkirk and Hibs is remarkable.

I'm not sure riordan is a natural front player and several managers have had the same issue. Putting him left gets us a few goals from him but probably affects the team overall.

I'd be in no rush at all to see riordan go but I'm convinced the team would be a bit more balanced with a real wide left player.

I can see the point you're making and I agree with it to an extent.

We have to basically weigh up whether the 14 goals you get from Deek from left midfield is worth sacrificing the other stuff a conventional left-sided midfielder brings to the side.

But then, since when have Hibs been conventional?:greengrin Isn't half the fun of watching Hibs in seeing someone unorthodox like Deek?

If I could pick a side, I'd go for a 4-5-1, play Stokes on his own, a conventional 4 across the middle and Deek having free reign on either wing to cut in and do what he does best, without having to bother about legging it back to our box to defend.:thumbsup:

monktonharp
17-05-2010, 09:51 PM
As a supporter I would like to think the club would do EVERYTHING in it's power to keep Riordan at the club.

IMO Deeks should be offered the highest wage at the club and a midfielder shoiud be signed that can accomodate him playing further up the park.

As for the fee mentioned I would rather a season of Deeks' goals than 400K especially as he has the chance to hit the landmark of 100 league goals next season if played as a striker.:agree:more than a chance, a certainty

monktonharp
17-05-2010, 10:03 PM

I'd be in no rush at all to see riordan go but I'm convinced the team would be a bit more balanced with a real wide left player.if he's not a front player----------where would you put him???if he's on the left,and affecting the balance you'd rather punt him then??.:rolleyes:. Stokes,would be off along the m8 in a flash. Riordan wouldae,imho

500miles
17-05-2010, 10:32 PM
if he's not a front player----------where would you put him???if he's on the left,and affecting the balance you'd rather punt him then??.:rolleyes:. Stokes,would be off along the m8 in a flash. Riordan wouldae,imho

Aye. Cos he already failed there.

Hibs On Tour
17-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Know its veering into other threads but take this within the bigger picture.

Our problems are NOT up front. They are at the back and to a very slightly lesser degree in the middle of the park. IF we manage to get say a CH and RB of decent quality, particularly if it freed up IM to go back into Midfield [even in a kind of holding role perhaps] then IMO we'd no be a million miles away from a pretty good outfit.

Keeper - who knows? Perm any 1 of Stack, Smith or Brown. Flynn out on loan. We've needed a RB since Whitty left and even he wasnae 100% on the defensive side of things. Bamba may well be away post summer and Hogg hasn't looked like the answer this season. Hanlon, under the right partner's watchful eye, could be great for us. LB, again we need a stick on in there. IM is wasted there however. Thicot on bench with Hogg, McCann. Currie out on loan.

Middle of IM, Miller, Wotherspoon, McBride. Zooma, Rankin, Stevenson and Galbraith bench.

Up front Stokes and DR 100%. Nish, poss Gow again, poss Kurtis Byrne [who should be looking to step up next season IMO]

As BlackpoolHibs said on another thread however and as the above points out, our squad is pretty threadbare. 1st 11 we can put up against anyone on our day but start taking injuries, suspensions and form loss out of that and we'll definitely struggle. I think Yogi's hardest act will be trying to not only improve the starting 11 but to get some more strength in depth into our club.

And that, my friends, *doesn't* come with us looking to sell some of our top players. I comes from looking to bring in people who are at or aiming to be at that level and thereby shunting the existing ones not at that level to the bench. It comes from our youth proving they can cut it ala Spoony and stepping up and making it impossible to drop them again.

For me, Bamba is pretty obviously wanting away to the big time. If we get a good deal for him he goes with our best wishes. We've shipped some dead wood and freed up some money for wages for folk coming in. We *don't* look to get any of our other top names out the door with him, we look to strengthen and improve our squad.

All IMHO of course...

matty_f
17-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Know its veering into other threads but take this within the bigger picture.

Our problems are NOT up front. They are at the back and to a very slightly lesser degree in the middle of the park. IF we manage to get say a CH and RB of decent quality, particularly if it freed up IM to go back into Midfield [even in a kind of holding role perhaps] then IMO we'd no be a million miles away from a pretty good outfit.

Keeper - who knows? Perm any 1 of Stack, Smith or Brown. Flynn out on loan. We've needed a RB since Whitty left and even he wasnae 100% on the defensive side of things. Bamba may well be away post summer and Hogg hasn't looked like the answer this season. Hanlon, under the right partner's watchful eye, could be great for us. LB, again we need a stick on in there. IM is wasted there however. Thicot on bench with Hogg, McCann. Currie out on loan.

Middle of IM, Miller, Wotherspoon, McBride. Zooma, Rankin, Stevenson and Galbraith bench.

Up front Stokes and DR 100%. Nish, poss Gow again, poss Kurtis Byrne [who should be looking to step up next season IMO]

As BlackpoolHibs said on another thread however and as the above points out, our squad is pretty threadbare. 1st 11 we can put up against anyone on our day but start taking injuries, suspensions and form loss out of that and we'll definitely struggle. I think Yogi's hardest act will be trying to not only improve the starting 11 but to get some more strength in depth into our club.

And that, my friends, *doesn't* come with us looking to sell some of our top players. I comes from looking to bring in people who are at or aiming to be at that level and thereby shunting the existing ones not at that level to the bench. It comes from our youth proving they can cut it ala Spoony and stepping up and making it impossible to drop them again.

For me, Bamba is pretty obviously wanting away to the big time. If we get a good deal for him he goes with our best wishes. We *don't* look to get any of our other top names out the door with him, we look to strengthen and improve our squad.

All IMHO of course...

Can't argue with any of that. :agree:

KWJ
18-05-2010, 04:46 AM
I don't think I've been happier with any other Hibs signing than the return of Derek Riordan.

For Petrie to shell out around 500k on a player I'd be very surprised if he let him leave for free once more.

I'm confident that a deal will be offered and Deek will sign. I believe he has the desire to write himself firmly in the Hibernian FC history books and that's what he'll be striving to achieve.

If he isn't, and he ****s of once again for nowt I'd be bitterly dissapointed.

He's far from my favourite player to play for Hibs but he's very much ours and I think we could all watch his highlights reel all day.

He'll get to 100 and we'll be able to when the DVD comes out!

Sandy
18-05-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't think I've been happier with any other Hibs signing than the return of Derek Riordan.

For Petrie to shell out around 500k on a player I'd be very surprised if he let him leave for free once more.

I'm confident that a deal will be offered and Deek will sign. I believe he has the desire to write himself firmly in the Hibernian FC history books and that's what he'll be striving to achieve.

If he isn't, and he ****s of once again for nowt I'd be bitterly dissapointed.

He's far from my favourite player to play for Hibs but he's very much ours and I think we could all watch his highlights reel all day.

He'll get to 100 and we'll be able to when the DVD comes out!

:top marks It has all been covered in this thread, but to let Deeks go a 2nd time would be unforgivable IMO, 35 years of watching Hibs, and no one comes close to his ability in terms of finishing, replace that with £2 million let alone 400k, I think not. Oh aye and please don't go on about 'overall team balance' etc etc, as has been pointed out, our problems are at the back and a lack of creativity and bite in midfield (which is NOT Deek's job) he scores goals ENDOF.

Tollhouse Hibee
18-05-2010, 07:25 AM

i agree

IWasThere2016
18-05-2010, 07:33 AM
:top marks It has all been covered in this thread, but to let Deeks go a 2nd time would be unforgivable IMO, 350years of watching Hibs, and no one comes close to his ability in terms of finishing, replace that with £2 million let alone 400k, I think not. Oh aye and please don't go on about 'overall team balance' etc etc, as has been pointed out, our problems are at the back and a lack of creativity and bite in midfield (which is NOT Deek's job) he scores goals ENDOF.

You've had it tough, S! :greengrin

There's only one Derek Riordan! :agree:

franks
18-05-2010, 08:33 AM
When Hibs signed Deeks back from Celtic they insisted on a large cut of any future transfer fee in the sell on clause. Normally a sell on fee is around 5-10%. If we are talking of a large sell on clause presumably it's somewhere between 15-20%. This could have a bearing on any fee Hibs would accept for him.

yekimevol
18-05-2010, 10:19 AM
i dont think he will be leaving i can see him signing a new contract soon:agree: so unless a bigger offer than these come in then i think he will stay.

Sandy
18-05-2010, 10:24 AM
You've had it tough, S! :greengrin

There's only one Derek Riordan! :agree:

Bugger I thought I had gotten away with the quick edit :grr::faf:

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2010, 10:28 AM
i dont think he will be leaving i can see him signing a new contract soon:agree: so unless a bigger offer than these come in then i think he will stay.

What makes you say that, do you know something?

RIP
18-05-2010, 10:50 AM
That's it

You are confusing doing the deal and identifying the player.

No - I'm not. For purchases I think the manaager gives Rod a wish list and Rod makes enquiries from there.

Sales are a bit different, Rod would need to take a serious look at offers too good to turn down, but the manager does get asked for input.

Yup - that's my take on it as well. The Tacheman is constantly monitoring contracts and the profit and loss account. If early consultations show that a player is unlikely to sign on again then the 'shop window' starts in earnest. I think Hibs use their press contacts to good effect here.

Keep
Keeping Riordan would please the fans and keep bums on seats. It could be a deciding factor in an unknown amount of ST's but maybe most will have already renewed by the time a player is sold

Sell
Selling would generate the cash equivalent of one and a half thousand Season Tickets for a campaign. It would also rid the board of a player who has been disciplined but is prepared to take them on. A player who has previously been in trouble with said board. A player who may have his doubters in the club heirarchy

To make sure the balance for keeping Riordan is overwhelmingly in the 'For' camp, the fans need to make their voices heard.

And not on messageboards - cos we know the club pays no attention to those media :greengrin

JimBHibees
18-05-2010, 11:16 AM
It will depend on what reaction Hibs get from Deek re a new contract. If there is the feeling he is running his contract down again it wouldnt be in Hibs interests to let that happen and they should IMO be looking to sell this summer when we can get a decent return for him.

Not altogether sure his relationship with Yogi is that hot (they seem to be doing a hell of a lot of screaming at each other) and maybe the management think he is a disruptive element they could do without, no idea however wouldnt be surpriswed if this was a factor in whether to sell or not.

blackpoolhibs
18-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Yup - that's my take on it as well. The Tacheman is constantly monitoring contracts and the profit and loss account. If early consultations show that a player is unlikely to sign on again then the 'shop window' starts in earnest. I think Hibs use their press contacts to good effect here.

He's not done a particularly good job on that score, if thats his aim. Riordan, Murray and Benji have all run down their contracts recently, oh aye and Maka. :wink:

down-the-slope
18-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I can see the point you're making and I agree with it to an extent.

We have to basically weigh up whether the 14 goals you get from Deek from left midfield is worth sacrificing the other stuff a conventional left-sided midfielder brings to the side.

But then, since when have Hibs been conventional?:greengrin Isn't half the fun of watching Hibs in seeing someone unorthodox like Deek?

If I could pick a side, I'd go for a 4-5-1, play Stokes on his own, a conventional 4 across the middle and Deek having free reign on either wing to cut in and do what he does best, without having to bother about legging it back to our box to defend.:thumbsup:

No No No...you can't take away the excitment of 2 midgets being overun in central midfield while Deeks huffs hands on hips watching......why would we want to go back to those dark days when Hibs ran the midfield even against the OF...and forwards scored goals and admired their collegues grafting...:wink: