PDA

View Full Version : Benji - Where will he go

Riordans Boots
17-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Just reading through the departure thread and a lot of us seem to agree that Benji will be missed and some of us are sad to see him depart.

What clubs will note interest in him - and what clubs would you despise to see him go to?

(I don't like the thought of him scoring against us) :boo hoo:

Thanks for the memories and the 2 CIS goals Benji :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bayern Bru
17-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I'd be very surprised if he stays in Scotland. I could see him going back to North Africa, maybe to Al Ahly(finally:wink:) or a Moroccan team.

Riordans Boots
17-05-2010, 12:09 AM
I'd be very surprised if he stays in Scotland. I could see him going back to North Africa, maybe to Al Ahly(finally:wink:) or a Moroccan team.

I hope so LH.

iwasthere1972
17-05-2010, 12:11 AM
Just reading through the departure thread and a lot of us seem to agree that Benji will be missed and some of us are sad to see him depart.

What clubs will note interest in him - and what clubs would you despise to see him go to?

(I don't like the thought of him scoring against us) :boo hoo:

Can't see him staying in Scotland although saying that I'm somewhat surprised that Mark Magoo hasn't announced that Aberdeen are interested in him.

Best of luck Benji.

Hibs On Tour
17-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Real Madrid? :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-05-2010, 12:17 AM
I think that he has a decent enough profile in Belguim to pick up a club there. I really wish him all the best, but I very much doubt that he will turn into the superstar that got away from us.

Sir David Gray
17-05-2010, 12:21 AM
I would echo the above comments, I don't see any way that he'll stay in Scotland.

I would think he'll end up in the Middle East somewhere or back in Morocco or some other North African country.

I'm not particularly bothered by his departure. A fully fit and fully motivated Benjelloun would be worth keeping as he would score goals in the SPL. However, it has been very clear to me that that Benji hasn't been seen in a Hibs shirt for about three years. It was best for both parties to go our separate ways, in my opinion.

I will always remember his two goals which helped to give me the best day of my life. For that alone, I will be forever grateful to him and I wish him well in his future career.

broonie27
17-05-2010, 04:54 AM
What is with this Benji love-in. He was garbage! He literally had one good game in 4 years and for that he is forever remembered. I couldn't care less where he ends up TBH.

Sandy
17-05-2010, 05:51 AM
What is with this Benji love-in. He was garbage! He literally had one good game in 4 years and for that he is forever remembered. I couldn't care less where he ends up TBH.

Baws, what about when he came on and scored the winner against the tramps ?, we NEVER lost a game that Benji scored in.

James70
17-05-2010, 06:08 AM
Looks like he's found a new team already, check out the first photo! :greengrin

http://theapprentice.tellymix.co.uk/candidates

heidtheba
17-05-2010, 07:17 AM
If you were Hearts wouldn't you have a look at him? I really hope he doesn't go there but it would offer him some advantages
1/ Still in Edinburgh
2/ Still has Zemmama as a wee pal
3/ NO competition

offshorehibby
17-05-2010, 07:28 AM
Baws, what about when he came on and scored the winner against the tramps ?, we NEVER lost a game that Benji scored in.

22 goals in 5 years for 3 different clubs is that the return you want from one of your strikers.

SalfordHibs
17-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Doncaster with his old pal Deano

Phil MaGlass
17-05-2010, 08:15 AM
22 goals in 5 years for 3 different clubs is that the return you want from one of your strikers.

how many 90 minute games was he given in that time??

TornadoHibby
17-05-2010, 08:28 AM
Real Madrid? :wink:

Just wondering if you concentrate on posting the most banal of comments about things which can only be appreciated by those that cannot move forward from one thing to others! :confused:

Or do you just think that you are a born comedian who will light everyone up with "razer wit" like this one? :cool2: :greengrin

TornadoHibby
17-05-2010, 08:36 AM

EIther you don't go to many games or you are well ovedue a visit to Specsavers to get your spectacle prescription brought up to date! :wink: :cool2:

Benji was one of the few players at Hibs over the last few years who had seriously good close control of the football! He was also able to deceive opponents by clever body movements at pace giving him the ability to creat space in close situations for himself and with an ability to strike with both feet equally well, he could score from all areas of the central final third IMO! :agree:

Problem was, the laddie had some personal issues to deal with in a foreign country and the club would appear not to have helped him deal with these "off the field" issues which could easily have created difficulties for him when playing. Consequently, his playing time was reduced as a result meaning that the skills any reasonable person who had watched him play for more than a few minutes knew he had were rarely seen! :grr:

Good luck Benji! You will prove all the doubters wrong if you get proper support (on and off the field) from your next club! :wink:

SlickShoes
17-05-2010, 08:36 AM

You do realise no one here is advocating that he stays, people are simply wishing him well and thanking him for the goals he did score and the memories we have of them.

The hearts game, the 4-1 defeat of aberdeen in the cup, and the CIS final.

Its a shame that we cant say thanks to a guy for the good times without someone coming along and proclaiming how pish he was and he should never be seen here again.

Ryan69
17-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Obviously Real Madrid!:faf:

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-05-2010, 08:40 AM

How many starts was he given? How many of those starts was as an out and out striker? Getting chucked on in a panic with 15 mins left in games as a 5th striker is hardly ideal. He's shown-admittedly not often enough-that he has natural talent and can take a man on and provide a bit spark. Put it this way, I would take him over Nish every single day of the week and if we take away that bizzare last wk of the season where Nish basically doubled his goal tally for the entire season then I think ul find that Benji scored more goals per minute on the pitch than Nish. This is not me trying to be anti Nish in any way I jst think that if were only going to be paying one of their wages next season, it would make far more sense to sell Nish for a fee than give Benji away for nothing! He is an extremely frustrating player but I like him, I just cant help it. Would be worth a new one yr deal imo. Get a decent pre season under him, which he never lst season and see what he can do. Another poor season=get rid. There is also no guarantee that Stokes and/or Deeks will be here nxt yr!

J-C
17-05-2010, 08:41 AM
Honestly don't give a flying where he goes, lived of that cup win for too long and was ready to show us 2 fingers when things didn't go his way, won't be missed by me anyway.

J-C
17-05-2010, 08:45 AM
EIther you don't go to many games or you are well ovedue a visit to Specsavers to get your spectacle prescription brought up to date! :wink: :cool2:

Benji was one of the few players at Hibs over the last few years who had seriously good close control of the football! He was also able to deceive opponents by clever body movements at pace giving him the ability to creat space in close situations for himself and with an ability to strike with both feet equally well, he could score from all areas of the central final third IMO! :agree:

Problem was, the laddie had some personal issues to deal with in a foreign country and the club would appear not to have helped him deal with these "off the field" issues which could easily have created difficulties for him when playing. Consequently, his playing time was reduced as a result meaning that the skills any reasonable person who had watched him play for more than a few minutes knew he had were rarely seen! :grr:

Good luck Benji! You will prove all the doubters wrong if you get proper support (on and off the field) from your next club! :wink:

You not getting him mixed up with Zouma here, can't recall Benji having problems abroad, IIRC he fell oot with Mixu and chucked his rattle oot the pram and was then farmed off to Belgium to get him oot the way.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-05-2010, 08:59 AM
You not getting him mixed up with Zouma here, can't recall Benji having problems abroad, IIRC he fell oot with Mixu and chucked his rattle oot the pram and was then farmed off to Belgiumto get him oot the way.

Zouma was given plenty of support!! Think he's referring to Benji's dad dying and him splitting up with his long term partner/wife?

J-C
17-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Zouma was given plenty of support!! Think he's referring to Benji's dad dying and him splitting up with his long term partner/wife?

Why not say that then.:greengrin

Big Frank
17-05-2010, 09:20 AM
15 full matches in 4 years.

We can't afford that.

NadeAteMyLunch!
17-05-2010, 09:25 AM

We can't afford that.

Ur probably right...but can we really afford 'a goalkeeping school' including 2 goalkeepers who struggle to kick or catch! Would far rather we punted Stack and/or Smith and kept the wage for Benji. Would probably rather Benji went in goals.

If Only
17-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Honestly don't give a flying where he goes, lived of that cup win for too long and was ready to show us 2 fingers when things didn't go his way, won't be missed by me anyway.

Hear Hear man was a waste of space IMO

SlickShoes
17-05-2010, 09:51 AM

But your posting in and reading a thread about where is he going, so you must care, really if you dont care why would you even bother entering the thread and posting in it?

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 09:59 AM
When he was on form, he was a very good player for us. Although we have to ask why he's only played such a small amount of games?

Expecting Rain
17-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Benji`s biggest problem was Benji, he flattered to decieve and thought he was much better than he actually was, a decent manager could maybe extract a more consistent attitude and performance from him, Hibs gave him lots of chances, he let Hibs and himself down in that respect, he`s not a bad guy though, just deluded, good luck to him.

H18sry
17-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Obviously Real Madrid!:faf:

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hibs On Tour
17-05-2010, 10:17 AM
Just wondering if you concentrate on posting the most banal of comments about things which can only be appreciated by those that cannot move forward from one thing to others! :confused:

Or do you just think that you are a born comedian who will light everyone up with "razer wit" like this one? :cool2: :greengrin

Blaw it oot yer fud smartypants.

The posting is tongue in cheek obviously, highlighting the fact that the lad has clearly put more into believing his own hype in the time he's been with us than in making a career out of his undoubted talent. Spent the best part of the past 3 years trying to get out of Hibs but some here still think the sun shines oot of his arse.

Noo, away and climb back onto your sanctimonious pony and trot on... :bye:

J-C
17-05-2010, 10:20 AM
But your posting in and reading a thread about where is he going, so you must care, really if you dont care why would you even bother entering the thread and posting in it?

Sorry, since when did you become my mum, get a grip eh!

I'm posting to show the fact that I don't care, that's my perogotive, just like the guy that started the thread, it's all about opinions and I'm giving mine, if you don't like it, tough ****.

seanraff07
17-05-2010, 10:43 AM

Hows the new Messi getting on at them by the way?:wink:

seanraff07
17-05-2010, 10:54 AM
How many starts was he given? How many of those starts was as an out and out striker? Getting chucked on in a panic with 15 mins left in games as a 5th striker is hardly ideal. He's shown-admittedly not often enough-that he has natural talent and can take a man on and provide a bit spark. Put it this way, I would take him over Nish every single day of the week and if we take away that bizzare last wk of the season where Nish basically doubled his goal tally for the entire season then I think ul find that Benji scored more goals per minute on the pitch than Nish. This is not me trying to be anti Nish in any way I jst think that if were only going to be paying one of their wages next season, it would make far more sense to sell Nish for a fee than give Benji away for nothing! He is an extremely frustrating player but I like him, I just cant help it. Would be worth a new one yr deal imo. Get a decent pre season under him, which he never lst season and see what he can do. Another poor season=get rid. There is also no guarantee that Stokes and/or Deeks will be here nxt yr!

I think you'll also find that this season Nish offered a lot more than just goals than Benji did. You don't see Benji chasing every ball like Nish at least tries to do. And during his 4 year spell at us, despite not getting tons of starts, Benji really hasn't scored enough goals to make up for that lack of work-rate like Riordan and Stokes have.

The only time i thought he was really vital to our team was season 2006/07. He scored about 15 goals, and has only scored about half of that in the other seasons he's been at us put together.

And some people claim it's because he hasn't had many starts, but their can only be one reason for that surely, he hasn't earned a start. Yes he can be a great player when he's on form but how often is that? Very rarely and i'm sure most will agree.

Cheers for the CIS Cup goals and another few vital goals but apart from that i don't think your going to prove a massive loss to us Benji.

Bayern Bru
17-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Hows the new Messi getting on at them by the way?:wink:

Flattering to deceive apparently. Scored the winner against their rivals in a local derby and thinks he's good enough for Madrid now. :wink:

seanraff07
17-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Flattering to deceive apparently. Scored the winner against their rivals in a local derby and thinks he's good enough for Madrid now. :wink:

Hopefully if Benji goes to them he could come the other direction to us.:wink:

Riordans Boots
17-05-2010, 02:47 PM

I'm posting to show the fact that I don't care, that's my perogotive, just like the guy that started the thread, it's all about opinions and I'm giving mine, if you don't like it, tough ****.

I'm a girl :agree:

MacBean
17-05-2010, 03:13 PM

:faf::faf::faf:

:top marks

vahibbie
17-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Might have under-performed but definitely had some skill.
I hope the boy gets a decent club but doubt it will be in Scotland. Think he's much more suited to Continetal (southern) or African style.

yekimevol
17-05-2010, 04:11 PM
benji was a gd little player would have like to have seen him given another season to try to get that form back. i think he might go back home or maybe france. Yes he made mistakes but at the end of the day he was a gd player and i think he could have produced more if he was given more than cameo roles towards the end of the season by yogi to fight for a contract.

best of luck to him !!!!
and hope it does not come back to bite us

TornadoHibby
17-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Blaw it oot yer fud smartypants.

The posting is tongue in cheek obviously, highlighting the fact that the lad has clearly put more into believing his own hype in the time he's been with us than in making a career out of his undoubted talent. Spent the best part of the past 3 years trying to get out of Hibs but some here still think the sun shines oot of his arse.

Noo, away and climb back onto your sanctimonious pony and trot on... :bye:

Aye very good big guy! :cool2:

Never crossed your mind that some of us actually believe that Benji is a decent player who has never really been given a decent and supportive chance at Hibs and doesn't deserve some of the smart ass sh*t that this thread is pulling in for him!? :confused:

Sanctimonious pony........:faf: :faf:

Very good! :faf:

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Never crossed your mind that some of us actually believe that Benji is a decent player who has never really been given a decent and supportive chance at Hibs and doesn't deserve some of the smart ass sh*t that this thread is pulling in for him!? :confused:

He has probably the most technical ability after Zemamma in the whole squad. The question is why has he played so few games, under 4 different managers?

Bobo
17-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Can't see him staying in Scotland although saying that I'm somewhat surprised that Mark Magoo hasn't announced that Aberdeen are interested in him.

Best of luck Benji.

Is it not the case that any Scottish club who wanted to sign Benji would have to apply for a work permit and that the application would need to support the usual criteria with regard to recent international appearances etc?

If that's the case he may not qualify to remain in Scotland with another club anyway?

Wasn't there something similar happened with Jason Scotland?

HibbyAndy
17-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Good luck Benji.Will forever remember your 1st goal in the LC final and THAT goal against the minks.

Riordans Boots
17-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Good luck Benji.Will forever remember your 1st goal in the LC final and THAT goal against the minks.

I second that Andy :agree:

HibbyAndy
17-05-2010, 05:59 PM
I second that Andy :agree:

IIRC If it wasnt for Caldwell holding him back he was heading right up to the tramps to give it a big GIRFU.

Orra best Benji,Liked the guy, Had mare talent in his wee pinkie than Nade Glen Wittenveen,Clum put together, For circumstances we dont know it never came to fruition..Good luck Benji :aok:

broonie27
17-05-2010, 08:41 PM

What 4 games, great. Have a wee word with yourself mate.

Riordans Boots
17-05-2010, 08:47 PM

Naw, you should rewind mate :wink:

leither17
17-05-2010, 08:50 PM
i always liked his goal against st johnstone in the semi at ***********

J-C
17-05-2010, 10:11 PM

Of course you are, my bad, typing when angry mistakes are made, sorry:embarrass

greenlex
17-05-2010, 10:18 PM
He was a luxury squad player IMO. didnt do it often enough when given the chance. Obviously didnt do it at training either or he would have started more games. Still good luck son wherever you may end up.
I personally wouldnt be cacking my pants to see him line up against the Hibees.

Hibs On Tour
17-05-2010, 10:20 PM

Certainly a decent player, certainly no doubting his ability. As far as I'm aware however, the club *have* supported him throughout his time with us. Certainly I don't recall any rumours otherwise, although I do recall rumours of more than one incident where he was that far up himself that he was telling coaches and other players to **** off at training. I do recall him in the press saying he wanted away.

As another poster pointed out, he's had 4 managers at Hibs and he's never became a consistant 1st -11 player under any of them. Why is that?

Seems to me more like some on this board don't even want to consider the more likely possibility that this is down to Benji than the club.

But hey - its all about opinions eh?

PS Glad you liked the pony! GGTTH :greengrin

oldbutdim
17-05-2010, 10:50 PM
He's off to Greuther Furth.

Good luck to the lad.

Hibs On Tour
17-05-2010, 11:12 PM
He's off to Greuther Furth.

Good luck to the lad.

This lot? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpVgg_Greuther_F%C3%BCrth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpVgg_Greuther_F%C3%BCrth)

Good luck to him.

Isaac_Refvik
18-05-2010, 12:50 PM

Think you need to back this up with figures, mate. You should also compare the minutes played/goals ratio for Riordan and Stokes. I think this would be an interesting, if pretty pointless, study. For what it's worth I like Benji and Nish, but Nish's work ethic and support play wins it for me. Benji has undoubted ability, but his attitude is questionable.

seanraff07
18-05-2010, 04:45 PM
He has probably the most technical ability after Zemamma in the whole squad. The question is why has he played so few games, under 4 different managers?

I think it's a case of him having the wrong attitude in games too often, cause their is no doubt he has the ability, he just seems to pick and choose when he's up for putting in a shift during games.

seanraff07
18-05-2010, 04:50 PM

Me too, i thought he'd blown it when he had about 3 chances to shoot before he calmly slotted it into an open net.:greengrin

Craig_in_Prague
18-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Benji looks like the type of lad that his heid is full of mince.
Has all the ability in the world and it was fantastic in 2007 final what he produced, and then pre-season under Collins he was looking the biz.
Perhaps too much off the field issues for a young man to deal with.

He's at his best in and around the box, unfortunately for him we've just had decent strikers around,
thinking back to the 5-1 win against St Mirren under Collins around xmas time one year, him and Zouma were frightening...

I suppose there was just glimpses of his ability - but thanks Benji for the memories and all the best to you in your future both on and off the field.

I am glad I seen you back in the jersey this season, sadly it's the last.

'aw the best

Chuckie
18-05-2010, 05:47 PM
IIRC If it wasnt for Caldwell holding him back he was heading right up to the tramps to give it a big GIRFU.

Orra best Benji,Liked the guy, Had mare talent in his wee pinkie than Nade Glen Wittenveen,Clum put together, For circumstances we dont know it never came to fruition..Good luck Benji :aok:

It was Zibi.

Only thing he caught all that season.

:grr:

HibbyAndy
18-05-2010, 05:50 PM
It was Zibi.

Only thing he caught all that season.

:grr:

Your correct N :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Feed McGraw
18-05-2010, 07:43 PM
All the best Benji and thanks. Especially for THOSE goals.

Riordans Boots
18-05-2010, 11:39 PM
Good Luck and aww the best Benji.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Benjelloun-makes-Greuther-Furth-next.6303015.jp

zlatan
19-05-2010, 01:04 AM

The wee trip on the defender at the halfway line to get a clear run for the square ball was exceptional :thumbsup:

There was a game under Collins where we beat St Mirren 5-1 at Easter Road and both him and Zemmama were just unplayable that day, the link up between the two was a joy to watch and something we seen all to rarely which is the biggest tragedy out of his time at Hibs.

Leaves with nothing but love, kisses, hugs and best wishes from me.

NaeTechnoHibby
19-05-2010, 01:26 AM

We can't afford that.

When he was on form, he was a very good player for us. Although we have to ask why he's only played such a small amount of games?

All the best Benji and thanks. Especially for THOSE goals.

I agree with these quotes.

Thanks Benji for those two goals and guid luck

johnrebus
19-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Benji has signed for some German Second Division side - according to the Metro.

:rolleyes:

khib70
19-05-2010, 08:29 AM
Benji has signed for some German Second Division side - according to the Metro.

:rolleyes:
Yup, Greuther Furth, who come from Bavaria, near Nuremberg. I've actually seen them play 1860 at the Allianz last year. They play in Celtc hoops. Benji will definitely improve that team, although Konte probably would as well.

Good luck to Benji though. He's a talented guy and some of the abuse on this thread is way OTT

zelda
19-05-2010, 10:27 AM
heard a little rumour from 2 boys in my football teams dad's (1 hibee 1 jambo) that benji ismovin to the yams-what a star signin to add to their wonderful range of striking talents wonder how the yams will cope with a as they would call him a "hibee reject" :wink:

seanraff07
19-05-2010, 10:32 AM
heard a little rumour from 2 boys in my football teams dad's (1 hibee 1 jambo) that benji ismovin to the yams-what a star signin to add to their wonderful range of striking talents wonder how the yams will cope with a as they would call him a "hibee reject" :wink:

I think he's signed for Greuther Furth though.:rolleyes:

Riordans Boots
19-05-2010, 11:54 AM

Has signed a 2 year deal here - http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Benjelloun-makes-Greuther-Furth-next.6303015.jp

The Yams can dream on :bye:

heretoday
19-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Good luck Benji. I'll not forget that double at Hampden. How the commentators raved about you that day!

Sir David Gray
19-05-2010, 03:37 PM
So he's moved to a side that's probably similar in size to the likes of St Mirren.

I would say that's probably about right, to be honest, given that he's not done much in the past couple of years.

I still wish him all the best, though and I would think that if he proves himself at this club, he might earn a move to a club at a higher level.

essexhibee
19-05-2010, 05:51 PM
The wee trip on the defender at the halfway line to get a clear run for the square ball was exceptional :thumbsup:

There was a game under Collins where we beat St Mirren 5-1 at Easter Road and both him and Zemmama were just unplayable that day, the link up between the two was a joy to watch and something we seen all to rarely which is the biggest tragedy out of his time at Hibs.

Leaves with nothing but love, kisses, hugs and best wishes from me.

Brilliantly said.

H18sry
20-05-2010, 10:04 AM
I think he's signed for Greuther Furth though.:rolleyes:

Nowt on there web-site yet, still hope for the yam-fuds :wink: http://www.greuther-fuerth.de/v3/aktuelles/newsflash.php

Sandy
20-05-2010, 11:49 AM

So he only scored for us in 4 games, news to me that :confused::dunno:

Riordans Boots
20-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Nowt on there web-site yet, still hope for the yam-fuds :wink: http://www.greuther-fuerth.de/v3/aktuelles/newsflash.php

I know it's not always up to date - but it says here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdessalam_Benjelloun

And I read it somewhere else but can't remember where :grr:

seanraff07
20-05-2010, 03:58 PM

I know it's not always up to date - but it says here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdessalam_Benjelloun

And I read it somewhere else but can't remember where :grr:

I read it in the Sun and the EEN yesterday and if it's on his Wiki too, maybe they just have a gash website.:confused: