PDA

View Full Version : NHC Richard Hammond's Engineering Connections

steviecarnie
16-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Series 2 - 1. Wembley Stadium
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sf9h2/Richard_Hammonds_Engineering_Connections_Series_2_ Wembley_Stadium/

showing all the different techniques and thinking that went into building it.

Hibs On Tour
17-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Should maybe have got a groundsman instead of an engineer to look at the pitch - its been awful since the place opened! :greengrin

hibs0666
17-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Series 2 - 1. Wembley Stadium
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00sf9h2/Richard_Hammonds_Engineering_Connections_Series_2_ Wembley_Stadium/

showing all the different techniques and thinking that went into building it.

Just a shame it's hosted by one of the Three Pricks. :wink:

Antifa Hibs
17-05-2010, 09:19 AM
After the state of our pitch last year, I trust Rod will be phoning Wembley requiring about the possibility of a hundred million pound retractable roof to allow sunlight in. :agree:

MacBean
17-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I believe that there is a Scotland flag buried deep under the pitch as there were a few Scots that headed up the digging/laying of a foundations?

steviecarnie
17-05-2010, 10:29 AM
i was surprised to find out the whole roof doesnt close, just the ends......the dearest stadium ever constructed and its incomplete :greengrin

ChrissyG1875
17-05-2010, 11:03 AM
It's no Easter Road.

hibbie02
17-05-2010, 11:19 AM
It pains me to say it, but it is a bloody good stadium and very well designed (apart from the pitch which is sheight). However if you suffer from vertigo, then avoid the less expensive seats (there are no cheap ones).

It is all a far cry from the old sloped terraces, when (watching John Robertson stroke that pen past Joe Corrigan in 1981) players could look like ants. :thumbsup:

Iain G
18-05-2010, 02:04 AM
As it was built by Aussies it will probably fall down in a few years anyway :greengrin

GhostofBolivar
18-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Should maybe have got a groundsman instead of an engineer to look at the pitch - its been awful since the place opened! :greengrin

That's got nowt to do with the way the ground was constructed. The problem with the pitch is that the stadium cost too much to build. The company that runs Wembley has to make payments on the loans taken out to pay for it. There's also a lot of expectation that they prove it was worth the expense. So there's incredible pressure on them to use the stadium on a regular basis.

This means that they'll let anyone use Wembley for anything they want as long as there's money to be made from it. Hence rock concerts, rugby league, American football, etc. They've even had motor racing there. What's more, they don't take the football calender into account when they schedule things, so the pitch never gets an opportunity to recover from all the wildly unsuitable events that are held on it.

It's a great stadium as long as you don't go there to watch football.

GhostofBolivar
18-05-2010, 06:26 AM
i was surprised to find out the whole roof doesnt close, just the ends......the dearest stadium ever constructed and its incomplete :greengrin

Wembley caost £757m.

The Dallas Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington cost £830m. The new Meadowlands stadium in New Jersey that opens this autumn is projected to cost £1.1bn according to Wikipedia.

Monts
18-05-2010, 06:44 AM
Wembley caost £757m.

The Dallas Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington cost £830m. The new Meadowlands stadium in New Jersey that opens this autumn is projected to cost £.1bn according to Wikipedia.
Is that billion American or British? Either way it doesn't make sense as 100million is less than the others, and there's no way it's going to cost 100,000million...

OstKurve Hibs
18-05-2010, 06:53 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/3667973564/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/3667973564/)

Does that mean these 2 will be the closest stadiums in the world n not tannadice n dens? Unless they r knockin the old one down.

Disc O'Dave
18-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Is that billion American or British? Either way it doesn't make sense as 100million is less than the others, and there's no way it's going to cost 100,000million...

Yes, but an American billion is 1,000 million, and a UK billion is 1,000,000 million.

Thus making it make more sense...

(Ah I see, you have picked up on the .1 in the number...I am an idiot....)

Gatecrasher
18-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Wembley caost £757m.

The Dallas Cowboys' new stadium in Arlington cost £830m. The new Meadowlands stadium in New Jersey that opens this autumn is projected to cost £.1bn according to Wikipedia.

Dallas Cowboys Stadium looks amazing :agree:

hibbie02
18-05-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/3667973564/ (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jag9889/3667973564/)

Does that mean these 2 will be the closest stadiums in the world n not tannadice n dens? Unless they r knockin the old one down.

They often do this in the US. They did it in Tampa when they built the new Stadium next to the old one (which was none too shabby). It meant that the natives don't get too confused by having to move their tailgate party site. They can keep the car park for the new Stadium.

Hibs On Tour
18-05-2010, 03:10 PM
That's got nowt to do with the way the ground was constructed. The problem with the pitch is that the stadium cost too much to build. The company that runs Wembley has to make payments on the loans taken out to pay for it. There's also a lot of expectation that they prove it was worth the expense. So there's incredible pressure on them to use the stadium on a regular basis.

This means that they'll let anyone use Wembley for anything they want as long as there's money to be made from it. Hence rock concerts, rugby league, American football, etc. They've even had motor racing there. What's more, they don't take the football calender into account when they schedule things, so the pitch never gets an opportunity to recover from all the wildly unsuitable events that are held on it.

It's a great stadium as long as you don't go there to watch football.

Well doh! But they would have known that they would have to do all that *before* it went up so they should have been able to factor that into whatever plans were in place for the playing surface and implement accordingly.

John Terry, for all his other faults, was right on the money with his criticism of it. If its supposed to be English football's showcase stadium, then the playing surface has to be right. Otherwise its just an expensive white elephant.

.Sean.
18-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Yes, but an American billion is 1,000 million, and a UK billion is 1,000,000 million.

Thus making it make more sense...

(Ah I see, you have picked up on the .1 in the number...I am an idiot....)
Never knew that. Very confusing.

GhostofBolivar
18-05-2010, 06:57 PM

British.

Monts
19-05-2010, 03:55 AM
British.

One hundred thousand million quid???

GhostofBolivar
19-05-2010, 05:23 AM
One hundred thousand million quid???

No. £1,000,000,000.

Sorry for the confusion. I was half-asleep and stupid.