PDA

View Full Version : The World Cup and the 'Vuvuzela'

Winston Ingram
16-05-2010, 10:56 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela

For those who don't know, the Vuvuzela is those brutally irritating horns that are blown by South African fans at football matches. They were very irritating during the Confederations Cup and I'd imagine they'll be out in force this year

There is talk of them being banned for the World Cup and I really hope they are :pray:

bingo70
16-05-2010, 11:04 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuvuzela)

For those who don't know, the Vuvuzela is those brutally irritating horns that are blown by South African fans at football matches. They were very irritating during the Confederations Cup and I'd imagine they'll be out in force this year

There is talk of them being banned for the World Cup and I really hope they are :pray:

:agree:

Had to give up watching the confederations cup last year because of them.

Remember someone scored and there was absolutely no difference in the volume from the crowd, as much as i can't wait for the world cup i wish it wasn't being held in S.A

ekhibee
16-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Are they as annoying as the ones Gretna used to use, as well as that ****ing drummer,he did my heid in big time.

jakedance
16-05-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm sure FIFA came out and said there was no chance of a ban because they're part of Africa's fitba culture or something.

Hibercelona
16-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Noise at a football game.... shock horror. :rolleyes:

"Hey, mind keeping the noise down! I'm trying to concentrate on the game!" :grr: :greengrin

bingo70
16-05-2010, 11:53 AM

"Hey, mind keeping the noise down! I'm trying to concentrate on the game!" :grr: :greengrin

see if your still saying that at the end of the tournament :greengrin

did you watch any of the confederations cup last year?

Winston Ingram
16-05-2010, 12:01 PM

You've obviously never heard them

Simpson
16-05-2010, 12:27 PM
It's the Livi drummers all over again :grr: :greengrin

Hope these horns are banned though

hibee_boy
16-05-2010, 01:03 PM
they wont ban them. just hope that other fans dont cotton on to it. having said that i was blowing my horn non stop at the scottish cup final yesterday...that not an inuendo btw.

--------
16-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Are they as annoying as the ones Gretna used to use, as well as that ****ing drummer,he did my heid in big time.

Much, MUCH worse.

Like bingo, I gave up watching the Confederations Cup last year - the noise was utterly appalling - just went on and on and on and on....

Those things are awful.

Ed De Gramo
16-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Whilst they are nippy....I somehow managed to block them out.

--------
16-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Whilst they are nippy....I somehow managed to block them out.

You still have baked beans in your ears, Gramo? :wink:

Maybe the TV companies will be able to make sure that the background noise level is low enough for us to hear the commentators without being driven mad by the horns? I hope so.

It's so stupid and mindless and pointless.... :grr:

Cool_Hand_Luke
16-05-2010, 02:26 PM
If you want to recreate that authentic world cup atmosphere in your own living room...you can get them here Vuvuzela (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VUVUZELA-BOOGIE-BLAST-/320532219668?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aa1358714)

I might get one and take it along to Easter Road next season :duck:

mglancy23
16-05-2010, 02:29 PM

for those that missed out on listening to one

http://www.spitorswallow.co.za/blowme.php

--------
16-05-2010, 02:30 PM
If you want to recreate that authentic world cup atmosphere in your own living room...you can get them here Vuvuzela (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VUVUZELA-BOOGIE-BLAST-/320532219668?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aa1358714)

I might get one and take it along to Easter Road next season :duck:

You'll be walking funny, then. :wink:

I don't mind noise, and I don't really mind horns or drums.

What I can't fathom is what on earth the point is of that constant, monotonous, unvarying, ear-splitting, mind-numbing, moronic drone....

Cool_Hand_Luke
16-05-2010, 02:32 PM
You'll be walking funny, then. :wink:

I don't mind noise, and I don't really mind horns or drums.

What I can't fathom is what on earth the point is of that constant, monotonous, unvarying, ear-splitting, mind-numbing, moronic drone....

It could still make a noise that way :greengrin

Wull
16-05-2010, 02:57 PM
thats the African way I'm affraid, the louder !!!! ??????????

and to make matters worse the bloody supermarkets are giving them away:grr:

Gatecrasher
16-05-2010, 03:01 PM
if they are as annoying as being made out to be ill no bother watching i hate things like drummers, the pompey cow bell guy and vuvuzella load of pish bring back the SPL :agree:

Storar
16-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Just bought mine today:thumbsup:

No chance of them being banned and absolutely no reason for them to be banned. Football's a completely different thing here in Africa. In Britain we sing songs, In Africa they blow Vuvuzelas. Don't see the problem at all.

They are also surprisingly difficult to use:wink:

Nuitdelune
16-05-2010, 06:16 PM
By the end of the Confederations Cup, I came to quite like them though hated them to begin with. Far better than drums I say--used to be the lower the league the louder the drum and would only find them when the late Setanta showed the Blue Square--which i miss. Now they are everywhere and very annoying. Never let there be one at ER please.

hibsdaft
16-05-2010, 08:02 PM
won't be quite like the Confederations Cup i'd of thought as most crowds will be non-South Africans at the WC.

either way i think we just have to accept it as something different at a World Cup in a new country.

steviecarnie
16-05-2010, 08:12 PM
won't be quite like the Confederations Cup i'd of thought as most crowds will be non-South Africans at the WC.

either way i think we just have to accept it as something different at a World Cup in a new country.

im under the impression 40% of wc crowds are made up of locals, esp for group games.

Supraninja
16-05-2010, 08:13 PM

No chance of them being banned and absolutely no reason for them to be banned. Football's a completely different thing here in Africa. In Britain we sing songs, In Africa they blow Vuvuzelas. Don't see the problem at all.

Precisely. It's a world cup being held in Africa, I'm led to believe that in Africa they blow these horns at football matches, so why Europeanise it? Defeats the point of having the world cup in different countries if you ban the things that make each country's football experience different.

bingo70
16-05-2010, 08:14 PM
im under the impression 40% of wc crowds are made up of locals, esp for group games.

Good stuff, at the confederations cup it was about 100% locals and they were a pain in the erse! :greengrin

Pheona
16-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Not a chance - they are being sold absolutely everywhere and being promoted by all and sundry....oh and there is now 3 in Edinburgh..... sorry 'bout that :greengrin

Pheona
16-05-2010, 09:07 PM

Kak - they're very easy its all in the techinque. Which one did you buy?

MWHIBBIES
16-05-2010, 09:12 PM
http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/05/16/1928061/world-cup-2010-bryan-robson-warns-managers-of-trumpet (http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2890/world-cup-2010/2010/05/16/1928061/world-cup-2010-bryan-robson-warns-managers-of-trumpet)

Robson seems to read hibs.net.

Phil MaGlass
17-05-2010, 08:33 AM
F,n things are driving me nutsd over here and the WC husnae even started, kids all over the place are using them, drives you completely bonkers, sooner they are banned the better.

CallumLaidlaw
17-05-2010, 08:55 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8685750.stm

M11BMO
17-05-2010, 10:38 AM
In a word - Annoying:grr:.

Pheona
17-05-2010, 10:44 AM
In a word - Annoying:grr:.

Ha ha .... don't annoy me at all. :greengrin

hibsdaft
17-05-2010, 10:51 AM

do you mean in terms of ticket allocation? a lot of these will surely get sold on for big bucks i'd of thought.

cad
17-05-2010, 10:21 PM

I suppose it would be when its been rammed up yer chorus for annoying the punter next .:wink:

ballengeich
17-05-2010, 11:07 PM
Like bingo, I gave up watching the Confederations Cup last year - the noise was utterly appalling - just went on and on and on and on....

Those things are awful.

Could you and Bingo not have clicked the mute button and kept watching? It's a technique I've developed in order to watch England games with some kind of objectivity.

Pete
17-05-2010, 11:22 PM
They've been selling these things in sainsbury's for months and they cost about £3!

Why don't we save them up for the first derby at tynie next season?
imagine even a couple of hundred of them blowing away...they wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

There's a trick here....and after the world cup that sound will be associated with football for years!

--------
18-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Could you and Bingo not have clicked the mute button and kept watching? It's a technique I've developed in order to watch England games with some kind of objectivity.

Aye, but then you can't hear the commentators....

:hmmm: Motson.

:hmmm: Tyldesley.

:hmmm: David Pleat.

:hmmm: Townsend.

Excellent idea. I'll try it. :devil:

Ally
18-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Don't be too hard on yourself, your service can't be that bad. :greengrin

Joe Baker II
18-05-2010, 09:48 AM

Precisely, some of the posts remind me of the idiotic Hibs fans in 2003 who disgracefully lobbied club to get Livingston drummer banned from ER.

heretoday
18-05-2010, 10:10 AM
European matches on the continent back in the 60/70s were accompanied by a cacophany of horns throughout the game.

You got used to it - that and the ball with black spots and Gerd Muller and Johann Cruyff scoring hat tricks!

Frazerbob
18-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Apparently after the Conferderations Cup some of the major sponsors asked FIFA to ban them due to the number of folk who stopped watching. Obviously these companies pay big bucks due to the huge numbers watching on TV and if the viewing figures fall, FIFA will not be able to command such high advertising fees.

Pheona
18-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Was reading in SA that they have sold around 4.5 million of them so far, somehow can't see them being banned anytime soon.

down-the-slope
18-05-2010, 11:42 AM
They did my t*ts in so much in Confederations cup I was on of those who stopped watching, much more unbearable than constant drummers / chanters or anything else.
Turning the volume of is OK where you know the teams / players but not when you don't

Unless there is a commentary from a sound booth to swap to instead of TV commentary(often watch TV with radio commentary - much better) then i will not watch very much....shame

Wonder how police would take to meter long horns at matches here.....given flag pole sizes are limited etc....

Phil MaGlass
18-05-2010, 12:05 PM

Is that because youre deaf?

Pheona
18-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Is that because youre deaf?

Pardon?
:greengrin

craig1875
18-05-2010, 01:17 PM

Me neither, can't see what all the fuss is about. :confused:

Steve20
18-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Precisely, some of the posts remind me of the idiotic Hibs fans in 2003 who disgracefully lobbied club to get Livingston drummer banned from ER.

The Livingston drummer was a pain. Was glad when he got his drum banned from ER.

ekhibee
18-05-2010, 02:18 PM
The Livingston drummer was a pain. Was glad when he got his drum banned from ER.
Yep, totally agree. On several occasions he was apparently told to tone it down and just banged it even louder (if that were possible).

NaeTechnoHibby
19-05-2010, 01:19 AM
What a bunch of crabimoniters:agree:

Have none of you watched any African "life" programes?

Their music features at lot of horns, moreso because that what is the unedible part of their kill, so they used them for other purposes :agree:

Get used to them, and press the mute button :agree:

BTW, Storar, I hope you are going to give us updates. like Kenny Millar did in Seoul, with your own "charismatic vision" :thumbsup:

BTW go to the Holland match (just forget they're dressed in orange) :greengrin

Pheona
19-05-2010, 10:24 AM
What a bunch of crabimoniters:agree:

Have none of you watched any African "life" programes?

Their music features at lot of horns, moreso because that what is the unedible part of their kill, so they used them for other purposes :agree:

Get used to them, and press the mute button :agree:

BTW, Storar, I hope you are going to give us updates. like Kenny Millar did in Seoul, with your own "charismatic vision" :thumbsup:

BTW go to the Holland match (just forget they're dressed in orange) :greengrin

Don't think he will be able to prise the ticket out of my Sister-in-Law's hand. She is going to that one, but I think she is willing to relinquish custody of her Spain ticket.

If he does give us updates, at least that means there is an outside chance I will actually hear from him now and again :rolleyes: :greengrin

sixtwo
19-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I stopped watching the confederations cup because of them.

Most annoying and pointless crowd activity since hearts scarf twirling shennanigans!

jgl07
20-05-2010, 01:01 PM
I stopped watching the confederations cup because of them.

Most annoying and pointless crowd activity since hearts scarf twirling shennanigans!
Agreed.

I don't like the sound of a swarm of killer bees drowning out evrying else.

You will not catch me blowing into a vulva thingy at a football match.