PDA

View Full Version : World Cup 2010 - South Africa

CallumLaidlaw
16-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Less than 4 weeks to go till the big show starts, and I have to say, I am getting quite excited about it.

Who is everyone following? I would like to see the African teams do well. Think Ghana, Nigeria or Ivory Coast could supply a decent run for the home continent.

I hope big Sol gets in the 11 for IC. Would be great to have a Hibee starting games in the tournament.

What are the standout fixtures for everyone in the groups?

for me -
South Africa v Mexico - mainly cos its the opening game
Argentina v Nigeria
England v USA
Brazil v Portugal
Ivory Coast v Brazil/Portugal
France v Mexico
Ghana v Germany
Cameroon v Holland

who do you think the standout players will be?
Xavi & Iniesta from Spain
Messi
Kaka
maybe Rooney
Ronaldo
Eto'o
Drogba

I done some predictions the other day and came up with the following semi finals

England v Brazil :grr:
Argentina v Italy

I was playing it pretty safe tho. I think Mexico will have a good run, as well as at least 1 african team, and Spain will be there or there about.

Bring it on!!!!

Iain G
16-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Following the kiwi's, at least my adopted country made it to the finals, and even when they get humped it will still mean i have someone to follow with genuine interest, and it can only be good for the profile of football in this country, hopefull means less bloody rugby coverage too :wink:

If they get a point it will be a massive result!! :agree:

Bayern Bru
16-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Probably going to follow Portugal - due to ancestry. I'm sure there's closer ancestry (in fact I know there is) in England but I'll turn a blind eye to that I think. :wink:

Hope France get gubbed in the group stages as I'm still hurting about that handball :boo hoo:

Hypocritical as it may sound, I'll probably watch all the England games, and keep an eye out for the IC (love Bamba, hate Drogba:greengrin) and the latter knockout games... As for tasty ties, I think you've predicted it very well Mr Laidlaw.

Wotherspiniesta
16-05-2010, 11:07 AM
If the ACON was anything to go by then all the African teams will struggle. People always seem to think they will do well when the World Cup starts but I cant remember the last African team to reach the semis/final :confused:

Have a sneeky feeling that Germany or Holland will win it.

bingo70
16-05-2010, 11:13 AM
If the ACON was anything to go by then all the African teams will struggle. People always seem to think they will do well when the World Cup starts but I cant remember the last African team to reach the semis/final :confused:

Have a sneeky feeling that Germany or Holland will win it.

Completely agree, lots of people saying african teams will do well but with it being winter over there during the world cup it'll be european style conditions, plus they're just not that good, the african nations cup was an absolutely rotten standard and not one of the teams had a decent keeper, something you need to do well at the W.C

Fancy the germans as well

Chuckie
16-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Completely agree, lots of people saying african teams will do well but with it being winter over there during the world cup it'll be european style conditions, plus they're just not that good, the african nations cup was an absolutely rotten standard and not one of the teams had a decent keeper, something you need to do well at the W.C

Fancy the germans as well

All of them ?

bingo70
16-05-2010, 11:20 AM
[/B]

All of them ?

:agree:

It's a very sexy nation, i'm sure you'll agree.

Chuckie
16-05-2010, 11:34 AM
:agree:

It's a very sexy nation, i'm sure you'll agree.

Yea.

Rudi Voeller was a dish.

:dummytit:

CallumLaidlaw
16-05-2010, 12:14 PM
Is the altitude not gonna give the Africans a bit of an advantage tho?

I agree about the African teams struggling for goalies.

Have Nigeria and Cameroon not had decent runs in the past?

EDIT - not exactly "decent runs" after all. Nigeria got to the last 16 twice, and Cameroon got to the quarter finals in 1990. Senegal also reached the quarters, in 2002

I cant really see past Brazil or Spain to win it to be honest, if they peak at the right time.

bingo70
16-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Is the altitude not gonna give the Africans a bit of an advantage tho?

I agree about the African teams struggling for goalies.

Have Nigeria and Cameroon not had decent runs in the past?

I cant really see past Brazil or Spain to win it to be honest, if they peak at the right time.

Think the furthest an african team has got was the quarter finals when Nigeria got there in USA '94.

No idea about altitude TBH.

YouTube - mwepu ilunga mundial 1974(fiebre maldini) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1L5nLwNqQE&NR=1)[/URL]

My favourite African contribution to the world cup :greengrin

Storar
16-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Hope South Africa win it but unfortunately there's no chance of any African nation coming close. Maybe one or two might get to the quarters or something but the likes of Spain, Brazil, Italy etc are just far too strong:boo hoo:

Cameron1875
16-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Think the furthest an african team has got was the quarter finals when Nigeria got there in USA '94.

YouTube - mwepu ilunga mundial 1974(fiebre maldini) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1L5nLwNqQE&NR=1)[/URL]

:faf: Did that boy really not know the rules. Its the fact he's shocked about it aswell :greengrin

steviecarnie
16-05-2010, 06:23 PM
I done some predictions the other day and came up with the following semi finals
England v Brazil :grr:
Argentina v Italy

not a chance, some ridiculous squads being picked by all managers.

Greentinted
16-05-2010, 06:34 PM

Cameroon narrowly beaten by Bobby Robson's England, quarter final Italia '90.

Hainan Hibs
16-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Although I got a bit of a dislike for The Netherlands after their billy big time attitudes before the game against Scotland, I'm heading there for a year in September so I better get behind my soon to be homeland.

erin go bragh
16-05-2010, 06:54 PM
have to say i will be shouting for every team that plays ingerland:agree:
think spain will win it:wink:
would love to see ivory coast getting to the latter stages

zelda
16-05-2010, 07:06 PM
C'mon Holland.
Got a wee soft spot for the Dutch.

Hibby Cam
16-05-2010, 07:22 PM
im gonna be over there for the start of the knockout stages and the final.................... anybody know of any pubs that might show the games........

hibeedonald
16-05-2010, 07:24 PM
CMONNN PARAGUAYY!!!!:thumbsup:

seanraff07
16-05-2010, 09:22 PM
not a chance, some ridiculous squads being picked by all managers.

Some of the choices Maradona has made with Argentina's squad are just laughable.

FifeSpireite
16-05-2010, 10:43 PM
As an exiled Englishman who supports Hibs up here I'm actually going out. I've got tickets for the England v Slovenia in Port Elizabeth and I've taken a punt on us getting through as I've got a ticket for the 2nd round match as well. I've also a ticket for Brazil in round 2 in Joburg if they win the group. Hopefully get another couple of games when Im out there.

Brazil to win it Fabiano to top score. As for England I think we'll get through the group and after that, god only knows but semis at best. The nearer it gets the more pessimistic I become. I'm not a Sun reader type.

Ed De Gramo
16-05-2010, 10:49 PM
'mon the Elephants :thumbsup::thumbsup:

CallumLaidlaw
17-05-2010, 08:28 PM
The suns guide to the world cup does not try to hide its biased at all. about 12 pages dedicated to England while the rest get 2, 4 or 6 max.
Also, as possible last 16 opponents for england, they have chosen Serbia or Australia, so they cant even bear to put the Germans past the first round :bitchy: