PDA

View Full Version : Juventus, Liverpool...

hibee92
15-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Brugge, Stuttgart, Napoli, Aston Villa, Sporting Lisbon, Besiktas, Galatasaray, Dnipro, Alkmaar, CSKA...

BEWARE:thumbsup::wink:

SRHibs
15-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Hogg will have Torres in his back pocket.:faf:

Westie1875
15-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Brugge, Stuttgart, Napoli, Aston Villa, Sporting Lisbon, Besiktas, Galatasaray, Dnipro, Alkmaar, CSKA...

+ a whole heap of teams that manage to get through from the earlier round.

Don't suppose we'll be seeded will we? :greengrin

Barney McGrew
15-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Hogg will have Torres in his back pocket.:faf:

Only if he takes his Panini sticker collection onto the pitch with him :greengrin

iwasthere1972
15-05-2010, 03:52 PM

Napoli please. They know who we are. If they don't get them to ask Dino Zoff. :wink:

offshorehibby
15-05-2010, 04:05 PM
While it would be great to get quality side i'd prefer some team we would have a chance of beating and get a step closer to the Europa league.

seanraff07
15-05-2010, 04:07 PM
While it would be great to get quality side i'd prefer some team we would have a chance of beating and get a step closer to the Europa league.

Knowing us though if we get drawn with some diddy team we'll end up getting beat.

GreenCastle
15-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Would prefer a smaller team so we could get closer to the group stages.

Would also like to play a big side when the whole stadium is complete - could you imagine the atmosphere if it was a night game....:thumbsup:

--------
15-05-2010, 04:09 PM

The only seeding about us will be the grass on the new pitch, I'm afraid.

With our luck we'll end up playing in Plovdiv or Cluj. :rolleyes:

Alfred E Newman
15-05-2010, 04:10 PM

Would also like to play a big side when the whole stadium is complete - could you imagine the atmosphere if it was a night game....:thumbsup:

Is there a smaller team than us?:greengrin

Sir David Gray
15-05-2010, 04:10 PM

It will be a night game, all the games are on a Thursday.

seanraff07
15-05-2010, 04:12 PM
I take it the East stand won't be ready yet for the 3rd round?

Hainan Hibs
15-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Hopefully we avoid the teams that will be half way through their season or we will be friar tucked.

Ed De Gramo
15-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Throw in.....

Montpellier, Steaua Bucharest, Getafe and the winner of the Cypriot cup final* (either Apollon Limmasol or APOEL FC).....

*too much time on my hands :greengrin

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2010, 04:30 PM
With 70 teams (including 40 from 2nd quals which most will be unseeded...) it looks like we'll be seeded.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2010, 04:56 PM
With 70 teams (including 40 from 2nd quals which most will be unseeded...) it looks like we'll be seeded.

:agree: I take back what I said earlier.

Aberdeen started in the 3rd qualifying stage last season and they were seeded in that round.

hibee92
15-05-2010, 05:00 PM
so we won't get any of the "big" teams?

Hibercelona
15-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Perhaps its time we seriously consider signing some world cup stars.

Nade, Templeton & Obua come to mind...

Hibby70
15-05-2010, 05:06 PM
We and Motherwell would be seeded before Dundee Utd which is quite funny.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
15-05-2010, 05:08 PM
The only seeding about us will be the grass on the new pitch, I'm afraid.

With our luck we'll end up playing in Plovdiv or Cluj. :rolleyes:

I don't know Plovdiv, but Cluj-Napoca is a really nice city. The stadium is tidy too.

Calvin
15-05-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't know Plovdiv, but Cluj-Napoca is a really nice city. The stadium is tidy too.

I know Plovdiv. It's crap, but we have a house not far from there so it would suit me.

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2010, 05:14 PM
I know Plovdiv. It's crap, but we have a house not far from there so it would suit me.

And me, cheers for the offer Calv.

--------
15-05-2010, 05:21 PM

Ah well - bring on Cluj. :thumbsup:

zlatan
15-05-2010, 05:23 PM
:agree: I take back what I said earlier.

Aberdeen started in the 3rd qualifying stage last season and they were seeded in that round.

Who did they get?

blackpoolhibs
15-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Realistically, i dont expect us to get very far. If we could get in the league stages, it would be fantastic. But at least we are there, and not talking about who we get in the first round of the league cup. I could get used to this.:thumbsup:

Hibernian Verse
15-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Sigma Olumuc. And got beat 8-1 on agg.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Who did they get?

Sigma Olomouc of the Czech Republic.

Their seeding didn't help them though as they lost 8-1 on aggregate, including a 5-1 loss at Pittodrie.

--------
15-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Realistically, i dont expect us to get very far. If we could get in the league stages, it would be fantastic. But at least we are there, and not talking about who we get in the first round of the league cup. I could get used to this.:thumbsup:

Me too.

IIRC, there the Qualifying Round we play in, then the First Round proper, then the group stage where four teams play off home and away against one another?

Nah - too much to hope for.....

But still.... :rolleyes:

scoopyboy
15-05-2010, 05:38 PM
We have a coefficient of 6.158 as have Motherwell. Dundee Utd have 5.158.

That might just be enough to get us seeded in the third round.

As long as we have a higher coefficient than 35 teams then we will be seeded.

We are one of 30 teams that come in at the 3rd round together with 40 winners from the 2nd round.

GreenCastle
15-05-2010, 05:39 PM
We and Motherwell would be seeded before Dundee Utd which is quite funny.

How does that work ? :confused: EDIT - Just seen above

I think like most on here I don't expect much from this Europe run - but it's still something different to look forward and underdogs suits us better.

jgl07
15-05-2010, 05:43 PM

Hibs are likely to be seeded in the Third Qualifying round.

If Hibs go through to the Playoff round there is no chance of seeding.

jgl07
15-05-2010, 05:46 PM
How does that work ? :confused:

I think like most on here I don't expect much from this Europe run - but it's still something different to look forward and underdogs suits us better.
That's because Dundee United have not appeared iin Europe for a few years whereas Hibs and Motherwell have.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2010.html

GreenCastle
15-05-2010, 05:47 PM
It will be a night game, all the games are on a Thursday.

:thumbsup:

Barney McGrew
15-05-2010, 07:29 PM
The fifth and sixth placed teams from La Liga will be in there too.

Currently Getafe and Mallorca :greengrin

heidtheba
15-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I was talking about this with a fellow Hibee the other day - whats that godawfully named Welsh team (think they papped Aberdeen out of the cup recently)? Its not Cardiff Photocopiers Allstars but it isn't that far off and its really annoying the hell out of me that I can't remember...:grr:

Diclonius
15-05-2010, 07:51 PM
So, let me get this straight - we're not wee enough to play the big teams? :confused:

Barney McGrew
15-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I was talking about this with a fellow Hibee the other day - whats that godawfully named Welsh team (think they papped Aberdeen out of the cup recently)? Its not Cardiff Photocopiers Allstars but it isn't that far off and its really annoying the hell out of me that I can't remember...:grr:

Total Network Solutions?

Sir David Gray
15-05-2010, 07:56 PM

The only Welsh team that Aberdeen has played is Barry Town but that was quite a while ago.

IberianHibernian
15-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Currently Getafe and Mallorca :greengrinGetafe match has just finished and they`re definitely 6th and in Europa League ( not sure in which round ) . 5th will be Mallorca or Sevilla ( will be decided later today ) . Apparently 7th placed Villarreal will make Europe if Sevilla finish 5th and win cup ( final v Atletico Madrid next Wednesday ) . Atletico seem to go into groups as holders anyway . Very complicated system - if Villarreal don`t get in , someone from other country must I suppose .

Sir David Gray
15-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Getafe match has just finished and they`re definitely 6th and in Europa League ( not sure in which round ) . 5th will be Mallorca or Sevilla ( will be decided later today ) . Apparently 7th placed Villarreal will make Europe if Sevilla finish 5th and win cup ( final v Atletico Madrid next Wednesday ) . Atletico seem to go into groups as holders anyway . Very complicated system - if Villarreal don`t get in , someone from other country must I suppose .

Getafe will start in the same round as us according to wikipedia.

jonty
15-05-2010, 08:15 PM

Which round does Wikipedia have Hearts playing in? :confused: :greengrin

Personally I'm opting for an away tie (second leg) to Maritimo as I'll be there on holiday anyway :greengrin

Sir David Gray
15-05-2010, 08:53 PM
Which round does Wikipedia have Hearts playing in? :confused: :greengrin

I think really big teams like Hearts go straight into the Champions League group stages.

I'm sure it's only diddy, wee teams that play in the Europa League.

We're forever in their shadow, you know.

1875godsgift
15-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I think really big teams like Hearts go straight into the Champions League group stages.

No your mistaken there, Hertz won it next year, again.

Pete
15-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Big teams like Hearts should really be playing in the world cup.

Sir David Gray
15-05-2010, 09:34 PM
Big teams like Hearts should really be playing in the world cup.

You know, you're right.

Is there still time to petition Sepp Blatter to get him to include Hearts in next month's competition?

Jamesie
15-05-2010, 09:45 PM
That's because Dundee United have not appeared iin Europe for a few years whereas Hibs and Motherwell have.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2010.html

Interesting link that. In terms of the complete-bugger-to-get-to stakes, a few teams stand out:

FC Tobol Kostanay -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostanay - very far north of Kazakhstan, near the Russian border. If you thought we got attention as tourists in Dnipro, think again! Probably about the furthest east we could go - this place is just about on the same longitude as Kabul!

Ulisses Yerevan / Banants Yerevan -
I think myself and frazerbob have been to one of their grounds to watch Armenia v Serbia, while dressed in kilts and pretending to be there to pay tribute to Iain Porterfield, formerly the Armenia boss (long story!)

Garabag Agdam -
As far as adventures go, this would be the best out of the lot and the one I'd really like to go to if I had the time. Agdam sits in the disputed Nargorno-Karabakh region and I can only presume Garabag play their games elswhere, as after the civil war in the early 1990s the place is a ghost town: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agdam

Exciting times for the Hibees!

Bishop Hibee
15-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Interesting link that. In terms of the complete-bugger-to-get-to stakes, a few teams stand out:

FC Tobol Kostanay -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kostanay - very far north of Kazakhstan, near the Russian border. If you thought we got attention as tourists in Dnipro, think again! Probably about the furthest east we could go - this place is just about on the same longitude as Kabul!

Ulisses Yerevan / Banants Yerevan -
I think myself and frazerbob have been to one of their grounds to watch Armenia v Serbia, while dressed in kilts and pretending to be there to pay tribute to Iain Porterfield, formerly the Armenia boss (long story!)

Garabag Agdam -
As far as adventures go, this would be the best out of the lot and the one I'd really like to go to if I had the time. Agdam sits in the disputed Nargorno-Karabakh region and I can only presume Garabag play their games elswhere, as after the civil war in the early 1990s the place is a ghost town: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agdam

Exciting times for the Hibees!

Could be interesting explaining the expense/importance of any of these trips to my wife :boo hoo:

Anywhere within reasonable distance of a low budget airline destination please UEFA :agree:

IberianHibernian
15-05-2010, 11:06 PM

Currently Getafe and Mallorca :greengrinNow confirmed that Mallorca are 5th and Getafe 6th . Villarreal finished 7th but apparently are not in Europe . Atletico ( already in Europa League groups as holders ) play Sevilla ( now in CL qualifier as 4th in Spanish league ) in Spanish Cup final on Wednesday . Maybe we can get Mallorca or Getafe - getting Spanish or Italian teams in July/early August could give us a chance since their league starts even later than SPL .

KeithTheHibby
16-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Playing Liverpool at Easter Road is the stuff of dreams.....

Kojock
16-05-2010, 04:51 PM

Been there and seen that, Hibs 1 Liverpool 0 (John Brownlie missed a penalty) poured down with rain all night.:agree:

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Been there and seen that, Hibs 1 Liverpool 0 (John Brownlie missed a penalty) poured down with rain all night.:agree:

:agree: Rather have a glamour tie.

iwasthere1972
16-05-2010, 05:20 PM

If it happens will it be safe enough for me to wear my Hubs cap or should I leave it at home?

Maybe just the scarf then. :greengrin

mim
16-05-2010, 05:46 PM

A penalty miss that cost us dear. :grr:

When Micky Edwards scored an early away goal in the second leg, Liverpool needed 3. If Brownlie had scored the penalty in the last minute of the first leg, Liverpool would have needed 4.

In the event, with Turnbull having inexplicably left Pat Stanton on the bench, Toshack scored the three goals Liverpool needed and Hibs went out. :boo hoo:

Liverpool went on to win the UEFA Cup.

Kojock
16-05-2010, 05:53 PM
A penalty miss that cost us dear. :grr:

When Micky Edwards scored an early away goal in the second leg, Liverpool needed 3. If Brownlie had scored the penalty in the last minute of the first leg, Liverpool would have needed 4.

In the event, with Turnbull having inexplicably left Pat Stanton on the bench, Toshack scored the three goals Liverpool needed and Hibs went out. :boo hoo:

Liverpool went on to win the UEFA Cup.

Remember it well, Europe was a formality, Leeds Utd, Juventus, Liverpool, Rosenbourg etc I thought we would be in Europe every year then.

Keep the faith the good times times are just around the corner.

The futures bright the futures green & white.....GGTTH

jgl07
16-05-2010, 06:02 PM
It will depend who wins the Copa del Rey. Getafe could end up in the Play Off Round or the Third Round (with Hibs). Nordsjælland of Norway could appear in either round depending on the above result.

It all depends if Athletico Madrid win the Copa del Rey against Sevilla as they are already seeded through to the group stages as holder of the EUROPA cup.

It would suit Hibs if Getafe go to the play off round as Nordsjælland have a lower coefficient.