PDA

View Full Version : Amir Khan tonight

Zazu62
15-05-2010, 03:03 PM
What channel is the Amir Khan/Malignaggi fight on tonight?

Will be a cracker.

:top marks

Calvin
15-05-2010, 04:47 PM
ITV, 2:40 programme start.

Zazu62
15-05-2010, 05:29 PM
ITV, 2:40 programme start.

Cheers mate. Thought sky had his fights but obviously not.

Marabou Stork
15-05-2010, 06:37 PM
I can't see the fight being up to much at all. Malignaggi doesn't have anything like enough power to trouble Khan and I'm expecting Khan to blow him away within the first 6 rounds.

seanraff07
15-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Woohoo, would never pay to watch Khan fight so i'm glad it's being shown on ITV.:agree:

Pretty Boy
15-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I can't see the fight being up to much at all. Malignaggi doesn't have anything like enough power to trouble Khan and I'm expecting Khan to blow him away within the first 6 rounds.

Can't agree TBH.

Malignaggi may not have the power to trouble Khan but for all he looks like a pretty boy he is an absolute warrior. He has only been stopped once by Ricky Hatton and for all that it counts as a stoppgae there was no real threat of him being knocked out, his corner took the decision to pull him to save him the embarresment of losing 10 of 12 rounds on the cards. He had his jaw broken by Miguel Cotto in round 4 of their fight but still battled to hear the final bell. Cotto is a far bigger, harder puncher than Khan.

I think Khan will suit Malignaggis' style more than Hatton, this will be a battle of speed and skill as opposed to an opponent who is cutting of the ring and coming forward at every oppurtunity. I think khan will win and fairly comfortably but to suggest he will blast Malignaggis out ealryish is naive IMHO.

For what it's worth i think the best fight of the night will be at Upton park featuring a far more skillful, exciting boxer than any on show in New York in Kevin Mitchell. Michael katsidis isn't half bad either in a brawling, bruising kind of way.

brythehibby
15-05-2010, 09:00 PM
Never mind khan. Mitchell fight about to start. This'll be the fight of the night IMO. Should be a cracker.

Pretty Boy
15-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Didn't see that coming at all.

What Mitchell was thinking trying to go toe to toe with a bruiser like Katsidis after getting hurt i have no idea. Showed a complete lack of experience at world level as he was outboxing Katsidis when he moved and kept him at distance.

Sergey
15-05-2010, 09:16 PM

What Mitchell was thinking trying to go toe to toe with a bruiser like Katsidis after getting hurt i have no idea. Showed a complete lack of experience at world level as he was outboxing Katsidis when he moved and kept him at distance.

He was lucky not to be floored earlier in the round.

The best boxer won, for sure.

brythehibby
15-05-2010, 09:18 PM

Agreed. If he'd hung on and got his legs back he'd have been alright I think. As the commentator said too macho when he was hurt. Should have covered up right after and tried to go gung ho. Poor effort but katsidis looked very impressive for me.

Pretty Boy
15-05-2010, 09:18 PM

:agree: The best boxer on the night at any rate.

Great game plan to walk down Mitchell and smother his work quickly. Katsidis has always reminded me of a young Hatton and nothing he did tonight makes me think any differently.

Sergey
15-05-2010, 09:23 PM
:agree: The best boxer on the night at any rate.

Great game plan to walk down Mitchell and smother his work quickly. Katsidis has always reminded me of a young Hatton and nothing he did tonight makes me think any differently.

What I learned from tonight is that Mitchell doesn't have a chin.

Not a trait that bodes well for a successful career in the sport.

brythehibby
15-05-2010, 09:27 PM
What I learned from tonight is that Mitchell doesn't have a chin.

Not a trait that bodes well for a successful career in the sport.

A step up too far tonight. Mitchell did hurt him but he recovered well every time.

Toaods
15-05-2010, 09:42 PM

:agree: forget the commentators...Jimmy Tibbs summed it up in the corner when he said "don't get caught on the ropes.....please."

Jim Watt detected at the weigh in that Mitchell looked a bit edgey so I take it Mitchell knew he had maybe taken a step too far.

Katsidis seemed almost to be wishing for a fight with a good turn out to support him, wish he'd fight a biggie in Scotland....we'd fill an arena for some class.

Sergey
15-05-2010, 09:51 PM
:agree: forget the commentators...Jimmy Tibbs summed it up in the corner when he said "don't get caught on the ropes.....please."

Jim Watt detected at the weigh in that Mitchell looked a bit edgey so I take it Mitchell knew he had maybe taken a step too far.

Katsidis seemed almost to be wishing for a fight with a good turn out to support him, wish he'd fight a biggie in Scotland....we'd fill an arena for some class.

IMHO, these two boxers could fight half a dozen times and Katsidis would probably win every bout.

It'll be a tough journey for Mitchell to get another shot at a belt.

Zazu62
16-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Cant wait for this fight think khan will win. Easy.

brythehibby
16-05-2010, 01:58 AM

No sure. Not a big khan fan but think he should do it. Weigh in was a bit of a riot!

brythehibby
16-05-2010, 02:07 AM

No sure. Not a big khan fan but think he should do it. Weigh in was a bit of a riot!

anon1
16-05-2010, 04:14 AM
Listened to it. Sounded like Khan was a class above.

Don't know why I dislike Amir Khan. Though, the more he fights with recognised fighters, the more he'll win me round.

IWasThere2016
16-05-2010, 05:38 AM
Very mature performance from AK - and thoroughly deserved win (the ref stopped it the 11th. AK will be disappointed he didn't get a KO as he should have. AK must have been 8/9 points up after 10 rounds and TKO was good result :agree:

Always good to see a Yank tanked in the US :agree: and great to see so many fat Italian/Yanks sitting there - seeing their man getting pumped - with their pusses tripping them :faf:

seanraff07
17-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Well done Khan.

Although i'm not the biggest fan, loved it when he got floored in the 1st round a while back, think it put him in his place and has woke him up since.:agree:

Pretty Boy
17-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Another good performance and result for Khan. He looked pretty comfrotable in there with the exception of the 1st 2 or 3 rounds maybe when he seemed to have a bit of bother pinning Malignaggi down.

The test for Khan now is where he goes from here. He has made his American debut, impressively, but against a guy who was never going to have the power to hurt or trouble him. Now is the time to step up and get in the ring against a top light welterweight. Madaina, Alexander, Bradley, even Hatton has to be his next fight. If he's the real deal then he should beat any of those listed although there can be no doubt they are all a cut above anyone he has faced before. The only other realistic fight for Khan would be the winner of Juan Diaz and Juan Manuel Marquez.