PDA

View Full Version : Real ales/bottled beers

Pete
14-05-2010, 10:30 PM
I don't know if this is just a by-product of "old age" but I'm starting to get into the drinks that a more discerning type of eye would only cast their gaze upon.

It's not about the session at the weekend but the one or two beers after work. It's when you sit down after all the stresses have gone and you want one quality drink. One you can really taste, you can think about the flavours but more importantly, just enjoy the taste without concerning yourself with getting drunk. The alcohol is merely a side issue.

My eyes have been fully opened to all the breweries out there as a result. There are so many wee Scottish ones out there it will surprise many but the beer they produce is so unrecognised by the general population it's almost criminal.

Here are some of my favourites:

Punk IPA by brewdog...strong IPA and love the marketing.

William Wallace 80 shilling by traditional Scottish.

"Good times" ale....I forget the brewery. This simply flies of the shelves. A light, summery ale.

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

ginger_rice
15-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Peter have a look at the Scottish real Ale shop, it's part of the Lade Inn just outside Callendar well worth a visit, or on-line for mail order.

Leicester Fan
15-05-2010, 07:04 PM
There are a few I like Timothy Taylors Landlord bitter, Old Speckled Hen, Spitfire and Bishops Finger.

All nice beers but I can't help feeling they'd sell better if they didn't have such daft names.

Pretty Boy
15-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Deuchars IPA, Hobgoblin, Belhaven 80 shilling and Circlemaster are my current favourites.

Curmudgeon
15-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Have a look at this. 496 reviews of quality bottled beers,

HERE (http://www.beerated.co.uk)

Mikey
15-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Orkney Dark Island

Black Gold

Both are fantastic.

Andy Bee
16-05-2010, 02:11 AM
Speckled Hen or anything from Broughton Breweries :agree:

Hillsidehibby
16-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Innes And Gunn. Brewed in Edinburgh. Lovely.

jabis
16-05-2010, 09:07 AM

my favourite too !

Scouse Hibee
16-05-2010, 09:49 AM
One after work or a session, it makes no difference it's a Pint of Guinness every time for me. Prefer the extra cold but either will do.

The_Horde
16-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Speckled Hen or anything from Broughton Breweries :agree:

:agree:

Belhaven 80 is quite nice bottled too.

Gus
16-05-2010, 05:32 PM
Deuchars IPA, Hobgoblin, Belhaven 80 shilling and Circlemaster are my current favourites.

:agree: - my fave, brewed in my home town witney, get it on tap there:greengrin

Twa Cairpets
16-05-2010, 06:36 PM
7 Giraffes from William Bros. in Alloa, and Ossian from Belhaven are both fine beers.

I'm glad its not just me. Having been a loyal Stella man for years, I hardly ever have lager these days.

LancashireHibby
17-05-2010, 07:35 PM
More and more pubs in Leigh are getting cask ales, and they seem to be becoming more and more popular. Always like a Thwaites' Lancaster Bomber, while I love Speckled Hen (doesn't half have a kick though!). Get some good ones from local breweries though all over the place, Ossett Brewery is a good 'un in Yorkshire - had a crackin' pint of Pale Gold in Halifax yesterday.

nonshinyfinish
17-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I can't believe the love that Old Speckled Hen is getting on here, I think it's rancid.

As for my favourites, Deuchars IPA will always be my first cask love, but I'll give special mentions to the Isle of Skye brewery's Skyelight and Red Cuillin, Cambridge brewery's Atom Splitter, Timothy Taylor's Landlord, and the mighty Augustiner, if that's allowed.

All of which reminds me, the CAMRA Cambridge Beer Festival starts next week. :hyper:

lyonhibs
17-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I can't believe the love that Old Speckled Hen is getting on here, I think it's rancid.

As for my favourites, Deuchars IPA will always be my first cask love, but I'll give special mentions to the Isle of Skye brewery's Skyelight and Red Cuillin, Cambridge brewery's Atom Splitter, Timothy Taylor's Landlord, and the mighty Augustiner, if that's allowed.

All of which reminds me, the CAMRA Cambridge Beer Festival starts next week. :hyper:

That's the name of a beer that sounds like a regrettable choice of tipple in terms of alchohol %age!!!??

Would agree with the rest though - I like to sample more or less any and every ale I come across, at least once.

The Cumberland Bar and Doctors are two of the best places I've found for real ales in Edinbugh - anyone else have any other favourite haunts in central Edinburgh?

Pete
17-05-2010, 09:01 PM

I've never tried it but I've looked at the bottle and it says "Canning Street, Edinburgh".

There's nothing but offices in Canning street:confused:

LancashireHibby
17-05-2010, 09:02 PM
The Cumberland Bar and Doctors are two of the best places I've found for real ales in Edinbugh - anyone else have any other favourite haunts in central Edinburgh?
Stumbled across Mather's after the Irvine Meadow game and they had a great range :agree:

overdrive
17-05-2010, 10:09 PM
That's the name of a beer that sounds like a regrettable choice of tipple in terms of alchohol %age!!!??

Would agree with the rest though - I like to sample more or less any and every ale I come across, at least once.

Cloisters and Holyrood 9A are worth a shot.

GlesgaeHibby
18-05-2010, 12:32 PM

Sheeps Heid at Duddingston. Not that central but great wee pub with cask ales changed regularly.

For me I love: Bitter and Twisted, Orkney Dark Island, Innis and Gunn.

EskbankHibby
18-05-2010, 12:43 PM
7 Giraffes from William Bros. in Alloa, and Ossian from Belhaven are both fine beers.

I'm glad its not just me. Having been a loyal Stella man for years, I hardly ever have lager these days.

Need to have a pint of this if only for the pleasure of asking for it, "pint of 7 Giraffes please and a Babycham for the jambo".

ginger_rice
19-05-2010, 04:29 PM
I've never tried it but I've looked at the bottle and it says "Canning Street, Edinburgh".

There's nothing but offices in Canning street:confused:

IIRC it's brewed in the Caledonian brewery for Innes and Gunn. Have you tried any of their new range of wood finished beers?

gringojoe
19-05-2010, 05:13 PM
A bottle of Old Jock, 6.7abv, goes down a treat on a cold day doesn't half give you a glow.

Pete
19-05-2010, 07:59 PM
IIRC it's brewed in the Caledonian brewery for Innes and Gunn. Have you tried any of their new range of wood finished beers?

I haven't but they sound nice. I think tesco are doing a deal on them just now...two 750ml bottles for a fiver so there's no excuse.

Pete
19-05-2010, 08:01 PM
A bottle of Old Jock, 6.7abv, goes down a treat on a cold day doesn't half give you a glow.

Oddly enough I'm nearing the end of a bottle of that right now and I see what you mean.

It's quite nice on a warm day as well...lovely, strong stuff.