PDA

View Full Version : Question Has anyone been to the Dominican Republic on holiday?

hibsboy90
14-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Myself and 3 friends are looking to book a summer holiday at the last minute. We were contemplating Ibiza, Magaluf, Zante etc, but flights + accomodation (self catering) would be about £350. Spending money on top would be £350 easy as well.

We then spotted plenty of all inclusive deals to the Dominican Republic with Thomas Cook, between £500-700 for a week, alcoholic beverages included.

Has anyone been to the Dominican Republic, Ponte Playa in particular?

Any advice / experiences to give?

Little Miss Perfect
14-05-2010, 10:43 PM
Never been myself but know plenty people who have. I don't think you can wander far from your hotel so you would be stuck there watching the normally crappy entertainment (which maybe all the free drink would make seem better lol) Also it's a long flight for just 1 week IMO.

Sure happyhibbie was there not so long ago he might be able to give you a better idea.

MSK
15-05-2010, 12:21 AM
Myself and 3 friends are looking to book a summer holiday at the last minute. We were contemplating Ibiza, Magaluf, Zante etc, but flights + accomodation (self catering) would be about £350. Spending money on top would be £350 easy as well.

We then spotted plenty of all inclusive deals to the Dominican Republic with Thomas Cook, between £500-700 for a week, alcoholic beverages included.

Has anyone been to the Dominican Republic, Ponte Playa in particular?

Any advice / experiences to give?Not been to Ponte Playa, we stayed in the Occidental resort in Puerto Plata..all i can say is that it was fantastic, it had everything...beautiful beaches, superb range of food & drink ..tropical weather, spotless accommodation & very friendly locals.

I wasnt too sure about the place at first as i had heard bad reports about tourists being mugged etc, you are warned when you get there about straying off the beaten track (so to speak) but really its all about common sense.

Were def going back ..im a Turkey man but once i got a taste of the Caribbean i knew i wanted to go back....as LMP says the flights are pretty long just for a week ..that doesnt matter ..the caribbean is so laid back your week will feel like a fortnight ...:thumbsup:

hibsboy90
15-05-2010, 02:12 AM
Just a quick reply now before a longer one in the morning.

Did you need malaria tablets, or any other vaccines etc for a visit to the DR?

Thanks

MSK
15-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Just a quick reply now before a longer one in the morning.

Did you need malaria tablets, or any other vaccines etc for a visit to the DR?

ThanksYes, went to Boots in Princes Street & got malaria tabs & a vaccine, pretty costly though so beware ..there was 3 of us mind..2 adults & my youngest Daughter..

Sylar
15-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Was there, staying in the Bahia Principe resort 2 years ago now.

Hotel was lovely, weather was stunning, food was cracking and all inclusive makes life VERY easy.

It is advisable to not go out the hotel, unless you're on an organised excusion though.

The poverty problem is evident the second you step out of the airport.

hibsboy90
15-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info so far.

Had a quick look on the foreign office website, and it says that Typhoid, Tetanus, Diptheria and Hepatitus A are essentil for it. Tetanus and Diptheria are fully immune as we got them at school.

The question is the other two, it looks like it will cost about £80pp to get it done in a travel clininc in Aberdeen. However some of the boys said they got all their jags free on the NHS a few years back when they went to India.

Do the NHS provide these things at a much cheaper price or free in some areas?

To throw another spanner in the works, some places online say malaria tablets are essential, but some places say it's not necessary if not in rural areas.

Any more advice guys?

EDIT: Found this (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1071.aspx?CategoryID=67&SubCategoryID=152) on the NHS website.

Your GP, or practice nurse, may only be able to provide some travel vaccinations for free. These can vary across practices, but they usually include:

typhoid,
hepatitis A,
meningitis C, and
tetanus, diphtheria, and polio (which are combined in one vaccine).

MSK
15-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

Had a quick look on the foreign office website, and it says that Typhoid, Tetanus, Diptheria and Hepatitus A are essentil for it. Tetanus and Diptheria are fully immune as we got them at school.

The question is the other two, it looks like it will cost about £80pp to get it done in a travel clininc in Aberdeen. However some of the boys said they got all their jags free on the NHS a few years back when they went to India.

Do the NHS provide these things at a much cheaper price or free in some areas?

To throw another spanner in the works, some places online say malaria tablets are essential, but some places say it's not necessary if not in rural areas.

Any more advice guys?

EDIT: Found this (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1071.aspx?CategoryID=67&SubCategoryID=152) on the NHS website.Get an appointment from your GP as soon as you can, this way you will cut down the costs....the Hepatitis A vaccination is what your GP would recommend, that along with anti-malaria tabs....i know folk who have been before & said they didnt bother taking anything...that is entirely up to you mate, we just didnt fancy taking any risks....in fact we paid a lot of money for Malerone (anti-malaria tabs) & only used them a couple of days ...

hibsboy90
15-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Get an appointment from your GP as soon as you can, this way you will cut down the costs....the Hepatitis A vaccination is what your GP would recommend, that along with anti-malaria tabs....i know folk who have been before & said they didnt bother taking anything...that is entirely up to you mate, we just didnt fancy taking any risks....in fact we paid a lot of money for Malerone (anti-malaria tabs) & only used them a couple of days ...

Cheers, will attempt to get an appointment with the GP this week.

I've taken malerone before when in Malawi, will probs go for a cheaper one this time if the tablets aren't quite so 'essential'.

ginger_rice
15-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Not been there on holiday but went there in the Navy...one word of advice don't drink the 151 Rum it's rocket fuel!

MSK
15-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Not been there on holiday but went there in the Navy...one word of advice don't drink the 151 Rum it's rocket fuel!It may be rocket fuel but it sure hits the spot, i was drinking that on a Dominican night & was fleeing after a few glasses ...the local Brugal rum was pretty lethal too iirc...:greengrin