Prawn Sandwich
14-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Told they won't have their contracts renewed according to BBC Radio Scotland

JimBHibees
14-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Cant really argue with that.

the_ginger_hibee
14-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Unless we are bringing in GOC I would have liked to have seen us keep Benji.

CallumLaidlaw
14-05-2010, 11:18 AM
Only what we were expecting but all the best to all 3 of them. Hope they all go on to good things

IWasThere2016
14-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Cant really argue with that.

:agree:

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Benji's tears must have been real then.:devil:

scoopyboy
14-05-2010, 11:24 AM
No word on Darren McCormack?

Spike Mandela
14-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Think these guys were resigned to that news a long time ago.

Spike Mandela
14-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Unless we are bringing in GOC I would have liked to have seen us keep Benji.

While GOC would be a great player surely using freed up cash for defenders and midfielders over 5 feet would make more sense.:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2010, 11:28 AM

I'm sure i read a post that he was offered another years contract? I dont know if it was true or not?

seanraff07
14-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Don't think his contract expires till 2012.

Stevie Reid
14-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Feel a bit sorry for Cregg as I admired his attitude to the contract he was offered last year, but there's undoubtedly better out there.

Maka will always be a cult hero but I'd be lying if I said I was sad to see him go. I wish him every success in his career though.

Reluctant to let Benji go as he's a potential match winner but I'll happily look on the brighside and believe that Yogi muct have better on his radar. Will forever be a legend for the CIS and THAT goal and celebration against Hertz.

Good luck to all three :agree:

scoopyboy
14-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Don't think his contract expires till 2012.

I'm not so sure.

hibsbollah
14-05-2010, 11:32 AM
I like all three and will be sad to see them go, Benji in particular.
Best of luck:thumbsup:

seanraff07
14-05-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm not so sure.

Did he not signed a five year deal in 2007 though? Maybe i'm just spouting pish but i thought that was the case.

Leith Green
14-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Didnt he sign a 5 year deal in 2007? Pretty sure he signed a 5 yr deal when he walked away from bosman agreement he had with Celtic, under John Collins..

The Sundance Kid
14-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Did he not signed a five year deal in 2007 though? Maybe i'm just spouting pish but i thought that was the case.

Definately contracted until 2012

the_ginger_hibee
14-05-2010, 11:35 AM
While GOC would be a great player surely using freed up cash for defenders and midfielders over 5 feet would make more sense.:greengrin

Undoubtedly so, just a bit emotional seeing Benji go. :boo hoo:

Heart over head and all that :greengrin

TornadoHibby
14-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I like all three and will be sad to see them go, Benji in particular.
Best of luck:thumbsup:

I wasn't too sure about Cregg although when he came into the team late on in the season he certainly added some "bite" to the midfield and some decent effort and endeavour too! :agree:

The other two are both people and players that I felt were much better than they were talked about or "respected" on here and I'm sure they will go on to have decent careers elsewhere! :agree:

Good luck to all three if this news is indeed factual! :wink: :cool2:

Pretty Boy
14-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Good move by the club. 3 squad players shipped out freeing up space and wages for potential new recruits. No complaints about any of the 3 released.

Good luck to all of them in the future.

Danny_Hibee
14-05-2010, 11:49 AM

His deal was shortened until the end of this season after his most recent "incident" with the police so if he's going to still be here next season he will need to be offered a new deal

maturehibby
14-05-2010, 11:51 AM
Says it all in the heading - was a real good goalie and a lot better than Stack - other two I will defer on until they are given a proper chance unlike big Maka who was villified and ridiculed by the press and made as few "Howlers" as Artur at Darkheid who is a teflon man to them

Keith_M
14-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Not surprised about Maka or Benji, both never seemed to be in Yogi's plans, but admit to being surprised about Cregg. Not that I have a strong opinion on his ability one way or the other but just that he was a Yogi signing.

PercyHibs
14-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm not so sure.

Pretty sure it's up. Hope he gets another yr.

Si_17
14-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Pretty sure it's up. Hope he gets another yr.

Why? He's gash and a thug to boot.

Disappointed to see Maka and Benji going though.

Cammy
14-05-2010, 11:59 AM
His deal was shortened until the end of this season after his most recent "incident" with the police so if he's going to still be here next season he will need to be offered a new deal

I heard the same. 3 serious breaches of club discipline allowed them to basically tear up his contract and offer him a short term deal until the end of the season (on reduced terms) to prove himself.

Wilson
14-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Not surprised about Maka or Benji, both never seemed to be in Yogi's plans, but admit to being surprised about Cregg. Not that I have a strong opinion on his ability one way or the other but just that he was a Yogi signing.

Weren't people surprised at his signing because he wasn't exactly a Yogi first pick at Falkirk? I think it was just a case of a known (to Yogi) player being available as a squad player at the right time. He wont take Hibs where we want to go so it is time to move on.

Benji is good on his day but his day doesn't come round often enough as far as I am concerned. His wages will be spent better - I trust Yogi in that regard.

Maka is fourth choice keeper for me. No surprise.

I wish them all the best of luck though.

Jim44
14-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I'm sorry to see Benji go, especially if there's a chance that Stokes and Riordan could leave as well.

Andy74
14-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Can't argue with those 3 at all.

Much as I'd like Benji if we can use the wage and space to help bring in either O'Connor or Kyle then great.

Ronaldo9
14-05-2010, 12:10 PM

He did but after the drink drive charge he had this terminated and made to sign a new contract til 30/5/10

Apparently offered a new 6 month but holding out for a full season

Ronaldo9
14-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Why? He's gash and a thug to boot.

Disappointed to see Maka and Benji going though.

So are those two gash!

NORTHERNHIBBY
14-05-2010, 12:13 PM
There are more reasons to let these players go than there are to keep them I think. There departure does not weaken our squad at all IMO, but the wages they free up could be spent on two defenders that would bolster our squad.

3pm
14-05-2010, 12:31 PM
I am a big fan of Benji but he isn't reliable enough. The same goes for Cregg. Maka? Well, fae the sublime to the ridiculous at times and didn't inspire enough confidence so it is in his best interests - as well as ours - to leave.

Going back to Benji, there isn't enough room for the both him and Nish in my opinion - from a consistency point of view, neither are great. We can't carry 2 like that if we never know what we are going to get.

The money should be used to bring in 1 player who we know is going to perform and commands more of a salary. Maybe two if reports of Maka are right!

TornadoHibby
14-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Newspapers/media got Maka the sack

Says it all in the heading - was a real good goalie and a lot better than Stack - other two I will defer on until they are given a proper chance unlike big Maka who was villified and ridiculed by the press and made as few "Howlers" as Artur at Darkheid who is a teflon man to them

:top marks

Nuff said! :wink:

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Weren't people surprised at his signing because he wasn't exactly a Yogi first pick at Falkirk? I think it was just a case of a known (to Yogi) player being available as a squad player at the right time. He wont take Hibs where we want to go so it is time to move on.

Benji is good on his day but his day doesn't come round often enough as far as I am concerned. His wages will be spent better - I trust Yogi in that regard.

Maka is fourth choice keeper for me. No surprise.

I wish them all the best of luck though.

Spot on. Instead of Chisholm or Keenan, who were never good enough, especially if we wanted Europe, we had Cregg. Benji Has flattered to deceive for most of his time at easter road, and Maka well enough has been said about him. We want better, we need better, over to you Yogi.

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2010, 12:44 PM

I disagree, the manager got rid of him. If Yogi thought he was any good, he'd have been between the sticks, and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

SlickShoes
14-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks Benji! YouTube - Benji CIS Cup Goals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srbFnPqB33E)

And for that goal against hearts!

micksoo
14-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Sad to see Benji go - on his day a good player but attitude let him down at times. Will never forget his cup final goals.

All three will get new clubs no problem!

Good luck to them all!

--------
14-05-2010, 01:20 PM

:agree: If this is true, I'm disappointed but not surprised about Maka, disappointed and slightly surprised about Benji, and not really fussed about Cregg.

Danderhall Hibs
14-05-2010, 01:29 PM
I disagree, the manager got rid of him. If Yogi thought he was any good, he'd have been between the sticks, and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous.

:agree: To claim the newspapers got him the sack is incredible! As likeable as he appears to be he wasn’t good enough – we’ll see where he goes next.

BTW when Boruc made a mistake he was front page news.

PeterboroHibee
14-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Im not that suprised they are getting released as he never used them, but there are alot worse players at the club who would have rather seen going.

Imo Maka is a better keeper than both Stack and Smith, and would rather have Cregg than the likes of Stevenson who is just awful.

Leithenhibby
14-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Fair Do's, but like many I have good memories of Maka & Benji in the famous green & white...:thumbsup:

Good luck guys wherever you end up..:notworthy:

.Sean.
14-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm sad to see Benji leave. Will forever be remembered for his showing in the Final and THAT goal against Hearts. He deserved a decent run in the team, especially when the side were on such a slide.

I think we all knew Maka was off. Again, i'll miss him. I genuinely feel he will go on to carve a career as a very good goalie. Shame how it turned out for the big man.

Never really got to see much of Cregg, did we? I felt he was a good enough player to have in the squad. I'd not have been dissapointed if he was offered another year to prove himself. The boy never got a chance.

Anyway, the three of them will leave with my best wishes. Maka will remain a bit of a cult hero for his character. I don't think we'll ever forget Benji. Thanks for the memories, Benji :boo hoo:

''BENJI BENJI, BENJI BENJI'' :singing:

Andy74
14-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Im not that suprised they are getting released as he never used them, but there are alot worse players at the club who would have rather seen going.

Imo Maka is a better keeper than both Stack and Smith, and would rather have Cregg than the likes of Stevenson who is just awful.

I'm sure more will follow. It's easier with the ones out of contract.

Maka is not better than Stack or Smith and that's why he is gone.

Stevenson will still be in contract and unless we can get someone to take him then he's here for now.

hibsbollah
14-05-2010, 02:38 PM
Has this been confirmed by any other sources yet?

down the slope
14-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Lets see where they all end up, i would think the belgian div 2 for Maka.
Our div 1 for Cregg and god knows for Benji who on his day could turn a game on it's head for you but on the other hand would not put any effort in for the cause which in todays footballing world is not good enough.

Leithenhibby
14-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Has this been confirmed by any other sources yet?

It was the headline sports news on BBC radio around 12 today..:cool2:

hibsbollah
14-05-2010, 02:47 PM
It was the headline sports news on BBC radio around 12 today..:cool2:

Yep, its just the BBC have been wrong before (Chick Young; Scott Brown to Rangers:greengrin). Its not on the BBC website yet either...

green.and.white
14-05-2010, 02:49 PM
There seems to be a danger that Nish, Stokes and Riordan may leave the club, so getting rid of Benji is a bit early is it not? Could we have not at least seen what other strikers we have at the end of the summer?
That said, maybe Hughes has new strikers in mind.

PeterboroHibee
14-05-2010, 02:52 PM

Stevenson will still be in contract and unless we can get someone to take him then he's here for now.

As Ive said, its my opinion, and I feel Maka is better than both of them.

Yeah thats a fair enough though, guess hes going to have to find replacements before offloading those with contracts.

Andy74
14-05-2010, 02:53 PM
There seems to be a danger that Nish, Stokes and Riordan may leave the club, so getting rid of Benji is a bit early is it not? Could we have not at least seen what other strikers we have at the end of the summer?
That said, maybe Hughes knows this and has new strikers in mind.

There's no danger we'll lose all of them and if we did then we'd get others in.

And yes, Hughes will be the one that knows what's happening!!

OtterHibee
14-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Yep, its just the BBC have been wrong before (Chick Young; Scott Brown to Rangers:greengrin). Its not on the BBC website yet either...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8683061.stm

PaulSmith
14-05-2010, 02:56 PM
That said, maybe Hughes knows this and has new strikers in mind.

I fear that we might sell bamba, Murray, riordan, stokes, nish, zemamma and replace them with inferior players to ensure that we finish bottom of the league

jacomo
14-05-2010, 03:01 PM

Hughes hung him out to dry as well, rather than helping a man who was clearly short on self-confidence.

As for Benji, not convinced his attitude is much worse than Stokes - it's just that one of them is a certain pick, and the other isnae.

Cregg's a trier but perhaps too similar to what we already have.

Wish all three well in their future careers - but genuinely feel that we'll regret the day we let Maka slip through our fingers (as well as the times he let the ball slip through his etc etc :wink: )

Sandy
14-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I fear that we might sell bamba, Murray, riordan, stokes, nish, zemamma and replace them with inferior players to ensure that we finish bottom of the league

That will be because we gave him a new deal in January then :rolleyes: I doubt very much that more than two of those you mentioned will be away in the summer.

Bishop Hibee
14-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Maka - good riddance. I'll be amazed if he ever plays regularly for a club bigger than Hibs.

Cregg - an honest pro who gives 100% but we already have Rankin and McBride who would play ahead of him. Good luck in the future.

Benji - I thought he would be a real star for us but he hasn't fulfilled his potential. A great, but unfulfilled talent who'll never be forgotten by me and 30 thousand others for his performance in the 2007 League Cup Final. All the best Benji.

Cropley10
14-05-2010, 03:41 PM

Have you EVER disagreed with anything Hibs have done?

You must have your eyes glued shut if you think Stack or Smith are better than Maka. Maka's 24, he will go on to bigger and better things...

offshorehibby
14-05-2010, 03:55 PM

As for Benji, not convinced his attitude is much worse than Stokes - it's just that one of them is a certain pick, and the other isnae.
:wink: )

Also one of them scores 20 goals and one don't

hibsdaft
14-05-2010, 04:01 PM
best of luck to all three.

mjhibby
14-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Best of luck to all three.Benji will forever be remembered for the cup final and his goal against hertz.His finishing in the final was just brillient and to be part of the team that won the trophy hopefully will be a great memory for him.He has a great talent but if he applied himself more he could be some player.fond memories of all three including maka who people forget had some very good games for hibs and pulled of some great saves.Much maligned but could surprise us in the future me thinks.:thumbsup:

mjhibby
14-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Whose left to leave.Bamba i think will go and im afraid stevenson as well.I doubt deek will be away but if he did go would leave it free for gary o to return on loan.Surely we will get a new rb,ch and two midfielders in as well.I dont think hart will leave preston but would think the players yogi is after will be lower championship or premier reserve level.I doubt anything will happen until mid june but i would think yogi will want all new signings in by first week in juyl at the earliest.Depending on the cup final the players will probably need to be ready for the europa game on the 29th which unless we are very lucky will be against a pretty good team.Let the speculation(loads of it no doubt ) begin.hate the close season as golf takes over the sports pages.:thumbsup:

Pete70
14-05-2010, 04:33 PM
That said, maybe Hughes has new strikers in mind.

Look at it this way. Maybe Yogi knows they're staying which is why he let Benji go

18/03/07
14-05-2010, 04:49 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20...262950_2052770 (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100514/squad-update_2262950_2052770)

Mikey
14-05-2010, 04:51 PM
McCormack and Gow away too.

Gow has a year left on his contract at Plymouth so that's just a formality. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him back :wink:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100514/player-update_2262950_2052770

CMac1988
14-05-2010, 04:54 PM

Gow has a year left on his contract at Plymouth so that's just a formality. I wouldn't be too surprised to see him back :wink:

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100514/player-update_2262950_2052770 (http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100514/player-update_2262950_2052770)

Question is though, would you like too see him back?

Diclonius
14-05-2010, 05:01 PM
The clearout begins. :hmmm:

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I'd have thought benji, maka and gow were on decent money, i'd hope we could now use that money to bring in better. We are covered between the sticks, so that should help in strengthening the positions we all know need it.:thumbsup:

Hainan Hibs
14-05-2010, 05:14 PM
Won't be disappointed by the departures if better players are brought in for the positions needed with the money freed up.

NOLA
14-05-2010, 05:19 PM
Sad to see Benji go, bit too tempramental though, once Maka matures he will be a top goalie, pity it wont be at Hibs! while Darren has managed to f*** his career in the top flite.

Chuckie
14-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Benji.

Never will you be forgotten.

Love from the Hibs family.

Hibee til you die.

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

YouTube - Hibernian CIS Cup Winners 2007 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIUWBWChqS0)

Winston Ingram
14-05-2010, 05:25 PM
gutted about about Benji:boo hoo:

PeterboroHibee
14-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Hopefully with 5 players released, considering our squad is fairly small, Yogi has already got some deals either signed or in progress.

Aldo
14-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Nucleus of the side still there though. We need some defenders and a couple of MF's...Stewart still a free?????:devil:

If he is there Hughes has to try and tempt him back IMHO.

col02
14-05-2010, 05:41 PM
Potential cut in the wage budget this season coming for the manager or a chance to freshen up the squad with players being out of contract and easy to move on? Fwiw I hope a few younger guys can kick on and make themselves regulars in the squad and with the money freed up in wages we will see 2 or 3 experienced first team regulars signed up. Ideally a right back, central defender and a central midfielder would see a nice balance to the squad I feel.

Baldy Foghorn
14-05-2010, 05:51 PM

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20100514/player-update_2262950_2052770

I hope not, did not bring much to the party when he was here IMO

Barney McGrew
No great surprises TBH.

Five keepers on the books was always too many, and with Welsh and Taggart ready to take a step up then Cregg becomes surplus too, even if we don't sign a replacement.

Benji and McCormack going would suggest there's deals in the offing for another striker and at least one right sided defender. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Gow back next season either.

I'm sure there will be others moved on in the summer.

Baldy Foghorn
Nucleus of the side still there though. We need some defenders and a couple of MF's...Stewart still a free?????:devil:

If he is there Hughes has to try and tempt him back IMHO.

Ginger Mikey is away to Turkey thankfully.........

lapsedhibee
14-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Nucleus of the side still there though. We need some defenders and a couple of MF's...Stewart still a free?

They say good things come in frees, so if we were lucky enough to get Stewart and O'Connor back, should we not go the whole hog and try to tempt Showunmi as well?

Baldy Foghorn
14-05-2010, 05:59 PM
They say good things come in frees, so if we were lucky enough to get Stewart and O'Connor back, should we not go the whole hog and try to tempt Showunmi as well?

Its a different Showumni, and IIRC the one we had was not that great

lapsedhibee
14-05-2010, 06:05 PM
Its a different Showumni, and IIRC the one we had was not that great

:confused: Nothing wrong with his goal against QoS. Don't see why he wouldn't be better now, too, with the further SPL experience he's had with Falkirk.

Cameron1875
14-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Good decisions by yogi. If we let say stevenson go then with 6 leaving we maybe need another defender, dominating midfielder, back up forward, a better goalie (as tbh the 3 we have are rank) so at least 4 players.

TornadoHibby
14-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I'd have thought benji, maka and gow were on decent money, i'd hope we could now use that money to bring in better. We are covered between the sticks, so that should help in strengthening the positions we all know need it.:thumbsup:

Who by? :dunno: :hmmm: :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
14-05-2010, 06:22 PM
Who by? :dunno: :hmmm: :cool2:

Stack and Brown.

scoopyboy
14-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Question for the Maka fans.

If he's as good as you guys reckon and he is going on to bigger and better than Hibs how come no club signed him up under freedom of contract and offered him a pre contract in January?

PS I think I know the answer.

silverhibee
14-05-2010, 06:35 PM
I hope not, did not bring much to the party when he was here IMO

Yogi rate's Gow as a good footballer, i think he will be back here for the start of the season.

erin go bragh
14-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Can't argue with those 3 at all.

Much as I'd like Benji if we can use the wage and space to help bring in either O'Connor or Kyle then great.
dont get all the fuss about kyle but gary o ,yes please:agree:

scoopyboy
14-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Yogi rate's Gow as a good footballer, i think he will be back here for the start of the season.

me too

jacomo
14-05-2010, 07:25 PM

If he's as good as you guys reckon and he is going on to bigger and better than Hibs how come no club signed him up under freedom of contract and offered him a pre contract in January?

I accept Maka is far from the finished article, but he's got potential.

He has suffered from the media stereotype about Hibs' keepers, and seems to lack self-belief.

There will be lots of players with more experience and profile than him without a contract sorted out for next season yet.

big-mo
14-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Here are a couple of facts about Benji that may be of use in Hibs trivia quizzes.

In the four years Benji was with the club, he only played 15 full games, in all the rest he appeared, he was either subbed of came on as a sub.

Hibs never lost in any games in which he scored

Speedway
14-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Five gone, five to go?

The departure of Stevenson, Currie, Bamba and Hogg would not surprise me. I wonder if Byrne will get another season?

I think Welsh and Booth will come through next.

HenryMonk
14-05-2010, 07:37 PM
me too

nice to see you posting on other players apart from daz mc! took you a while to get info this morn eh, so not scopy-bi are you!

chob

RoYO!
14-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Actually really pleased to see macormack gone :bye:

thought his attitude was dreadful and not enough potential

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Five gone, five to go?

The departure of Stevenson, Currie, Bamba and Hogg would not surprise me. I wonder if Byrne will get another season?

I think Welsh and Booth will come through next.

Is he not supposed to be a terrific prospect?

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 07:39 PM
nice to see you posting on other players apart from daz mc! took you a while to get info this morn eh, so not scopy-bi are you!

chob

..................................?

col02
14-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Is he not supposed to be a terrific prospect?

Is it not Callum Booth who is meant to be a good prospect at left back?

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 07:40 PM

I agree 100%.

The only thing worse than his attitude was his positioning. A complete holocaust of a defender at times.

I'd try and defend him and say he's only young and learning the game but if he's acting like a complete fud off the park then he's not really seizing the opportunity to better himself.

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Is it not Callum Booth who is meant to be a good prospect at left back?

Definitely him yeah and I'm sure Welch in midfield is ****-hot too. I'm convinced a few folk had said Currie was a great prospect in midfield as well though.

I could be wrong (I usually am).

PeterboroHibee
14-05-2010, 07:43 PM

Agree, trouble seemed to follow him around as well.

Might have done better at CB as tbf he never really got much of a chance there, but just became less and less convinced by him. Think we could do much better, and hopefully does allow some of the other young players to get a chance.

Diclonius
14-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Definitely him yeah and I'm sure Welch in midfield is ****-hot too. I'm convinced a few folk had said Currie was a great prospect in midfield as well though.

I could be wrong (I usually am).

Isn't Currie a left back?

RoYO!
14-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I agree 100%.

The only thing worse than his attitude was his positioning. A complete holocaust of a defender at times.

I'd try and defend him and say he's only young and learning the game but if he's acting like a complete fud off the park then he's not really seizing the opportunity to better himself.

It really is a weird one when you get young players who don't put the effort in and act in a professional manner on and off the field.

He's blown it. And if he had kept the head down and worked he could have been playing spl football for the next few seasons or more.

Long suffering
14-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Anyone know if stevenson is getting released? its a bit of a joke if he stays and cregg (who i feel sorry for) IS released

scoopyboy

chob

Not true. If you look at my posts.

If you looked at my first post I was asking if there was any news regarding Daz, I was expecting to hear something.

Then when people were saying he was signed until 2012 I asked are you sure, knowing full well he wasn't.

I didn't know the outcome until it was posted on here but I can assure you I knew it was on the cards.

I feel a bit sorry for him, I think if he got more games at centre half he might have shown more and that might have just been enough to save him.

matty_f

Nope, he's a midfielder. Good one at that. AFAIK, his contract was up to this season, but I could be wrong. Welsh is a terrific player, he's got another year, as has Kurtis IIRC.

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 07:47 PM

http://kellebelle.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/confused.jpg

HenryMonk
14-05-2010, 07:47 PM
..................................?

exactly...........fill in the blank scop-bi........are yo.........hi........?

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Anyone know if stevenson is getting released? its a bit of a joke if he stays and cregg (who i feel sorry for) IS released

Stevenson's still under contract so we'd have to negotiate a mutually agreed pay-off to terminate his contract.

scoopyboy
14-05-2010, 07:48 PM
I think Lee might have got a 6 month or 1 year extension. Picked up a bad injury and wasn't able to push on as much as we would have liked.

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 07:50 PM
exactly...........fill in the blank scop-bi........are yo.........hi........?

http://www.layoutlocator.com/graphics/dldimg/53a753179a5640aa782263d6831b37d9_yoda-beer.JPG

Gala Foxes
14-05-2010, 08:20 PM
McCormack - common sense prevails - he had the chance, he blew it, on and off the park, and off the park, and off the park again.

An Leargaidh
14-05-2010, 08:51 PM

:agree: totally agree mate :aok: This season just past the midfield looked like they might start singing "Follow The Yellow Brick Road" at any moment :greengrin

Luna_Asylum
14-05-2010, 09:00 PM
McCormack - common sense prevails - he had the chance, he blew it, on and off the park, and off the park, and off the park again.

i never saw him off the park but on it he was near enough identical to DVZ except worse - never a footballer

Sir David Gray
14-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm almost certain that the people saying that McCormack was signed until 2012 are correct.

I remember hearing that he had signed a five year deal with Hibs after rejecting Celtic and I was sure this happened in 2007.

I know the BBC website isn't the ultimate source for all information but this was written a few months ago at the time of his arrest for driving offences and seems to back up what I have said above.

"The defender, who has played once for Scotland Under-21s, signed a five-year contract with Hibs in 2007 despite an approach from Celtic and made his first-team debut that September against Kilmarnock."

Here. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/8504361.stm)

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm almost certain that the people saying that McCormack was signed until 2012 are correct.

I remember hearing that he had signed a five year deal with Hibs after rejecting Celtic and I was sure this happened in 2007.

I know the BBC website isn't the ultimate source for all information but this was written a few months ago at the time of his arrest for driving offences and seems to back up what I have said above.

"The defender, who has played once for Scotland Under-21s, signed a five-year contract with Hibs in 2007 despite an approach from Celtic and made his first-team debut that September against Kilmarnock."

Was mentioned earlier in the thread that Hibs "tore" the contract up and replaced it with a shorter contract to the end of this season for him to prove himself.

Do keep up :wink:

Sir David Gray
14-05-2010, 09:22 PM
Was mentioned earlier in the thread that Hibs "tore" the contract up and replaced it with a shorter contract to the end of this season for him to prove himself.

Do keep up :wink:

Did it have "FACT" at the end of the post? If not, I'm still going with the BBC. :wink:

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 09:24 PM
Did it have "FACT" at the end of the post? If not, I'm still going with the BBC. :wink:

I like your thinking. Faceless wonders on Hibs.net or Chick Young....there's only one winner :greengrin

hibee4life1983
14-05-2010, 09:35 PM

Are u being honest? Big maka was great to laugh at and the away fans always loved him, he was murder! During half time against the huns at greyskull (the 1-1 game) when warming up, he stood in the center of the goals with his hands in his pockets, yes, u arnt imagining what u just read, for the whole warm up he tried to save shots with his hands in his pockets, it was like watching a schoolboy who would rather be playing the ps3 than getting his hands cold during warm up?

And you think he was good???

Specsavers, calling.

NAE NOOKIE
14-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Lewis Stevenson has never really improved from the player who first broke into the first team. And thats a shame.

Its a pity that there are a few players around ER who have twice his ability and a tenth of his attitude. Good luck if you do go Lewis.

McCormack ... Not good enough to be a first team player.
Gow ..... Always injured, so who knows what he can do.
Cregg .... Tries hard ... good luck to him if he moves on.

Benji .... What a waste of talent. The way he lumbers after the ball makes Deeks look like Alan Wells. If he had ever managed to get his finger oot his A hole he would have been far too good for us. :bitchy:

Anyway ... His two goals in the League Cup final mean he will always be a Hibs hero to me. So good luck to him.

Jonnyboy
14-05-2010, 10:07 PM
:agree: totally agree mate :aok: This season just past the midfield looked like they might start singing "Follow The Yellow Brick Road" at any moment :greengrin

Like your sig Micky :thumbsup:

What's the background to you choosing Phil?

eastmainsmsh
14-05-2010, 10:41 PM
i have a feeling daryll duffy could be at us next season

Purehibee_MYB
14-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm really sad to see Benji go... He didn't always perform, but he always gave 100% on the pitch, and it was clear to see he had talent...we will never forget the League cup final... Maka was someone I never had anything against, always wanted to improve, but with all the keepers we have it was always going to be him or Smith... would have liked Maka to stay over Smith IMO... but McCormack and Cregg, as much as they tried, they were destined for the door

HibbyAndy
14-05-2010, 11:19 PM
i have a feeling daryll duffy could be at us next season

Lets hope your feelings wrong then.

KWJ
15-05-2010, 03:42 AM
I'm not understanding the surprise of some with Stevenson still being here.

Most importantly he's still under contract and secondly he's still a fairly young laddie with a decent big of experience who can fill in for us in a variety of positions. Most importantly left back where we're a bit weak especially should Booth not be ready for the step up.

Yes, I'm still a Stevenson fan!

Oh and all the best to Maka & Benji, really hope they do something with their careers. Thanks for the efforts Creggy and Gow. And see ya Daz x

BEEJ
15-05-2010, 10:05 AM

What you say is true - his contract was ending in 2012. But it was interesting that at the beginning of this week the EEN listed McCormack's contract as one of the ones that was ending this summer.

The first batch of players to leave usually comprises those who are on loan and those whose contracts are not being renewed. The others to leave will require some form of contract negotiation which takes time.

So I suspect that what we're reading on here about a contract revision for Daz is true.

PeterboroHibee
15-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm not understanding the surprise of some with Stevenson still being here.

Most importantly he's still under contract and secondly he's still a fairly young laddie with a decent big of experience who can fill in for us in a variety of positions. Most importantly left back where we're a bit weak especially should Booth not be ready for the step up.

Yes, I'm still a Stevenson fan!

Oh and all the best to Maka & Benji, really hope they do something with their careers. Thanks for the efforts Creggy and Gow. And see ya Daz x

I just dont think Stevenson has it, seems to have gone backwards in terms of the progress he was making, its a difficult one. At the moment wouldnt even keep him as back up.

Wouldnt mind seeing him going out on loan for a season though, actually getting a full season which he isnt going to get at Hibs, and see if he can find some form again. Like you say hes still young but dont know if he would be happy with that sort of thing.

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-05-2010, 02:23 PM
If Gow is going back to plymouth as his loan deal is up, that is hardly a player away is it? No doubt he will be emptied by plymouth as their green army will be marching in division one next season. Gow will be back in the SPL, either with us or with Hearts.

Long suffering
15-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Stevenson's still under contract so we'd have to negotiate a mutually agreed pay-off to terminate his contract.

orite unlikely then, does he have one year left?

J-C
15-05-2010, 06:25 PM
If Gow is going back to plymouth as his loan deal is up, that is hardly a player away is it? No doubt he will be emptied by plymouth as their green army will be marching in division one next season. Gow will be back in the SPL, either with us or with Hearts.

True, he'll probably have his contract with them either terminated and free or we'll get him at a snip, good player who only needs a decent pre season under his belt.

OtterHibee
15-05-2010, 06:28 PM
orite unlikely then, does he have one year left?

Yes. He's contracted until June 2011.

Toaods
15-05-2010, 06:38 PM

perhaps some did and you don't...:wink:

Hibs On Tour
15-05-2010, 11:55 PM
:agree: To claim the newspapers got him the sack is incredible! As likeable as he appears to be he wasn’t good enough – we’ll see where he goes next.

BTW when Boruc made a mistake he was front page news.

100% :top marks

That absolute howler at Aberdeen just sealed it in stone for me, although I for one was never one of those in Maka's camp. Way way too unrealiable for me and if that particular game had been Zibi instead we'd *all* be saying he should never get near a Hibs shirt again. Its different because is Maka? Why?

Might very well be a 'good guy' along with any/all of the rest. No odds, we're not employing them to be 'good guys' we're employing them to be 'good footballers' - different things entirely.

Hibs On Tour
15-05-2010, 11:58 PM

Hughes hung him out to dry as well, rather than helping a man who was clearly short on self-confidence.

Cregg's a trier but perhaps too similar to what we already have.

Wish all three well in their future careers - but genuinely feel that we'll regret the day we let Maka slip through our fingers (as well as the times he let the ball slip through his etc etc :wink: )

Maybe cos Stokes delivers when he gets his game and Benji hasn't on most occasions? To try to compare our top scorer with someone who perhaps turned it on 1 in 5 is laughable IMHO...

Hibs On Tour
16-05-2010, 12:04 AM
Here are a couple of facts about Benji that may be of use in Hibs trivia quizzes.

In the four years Benji was with the club, he only played 15 full games, in all the rest he appeared, he was either subbed of came on as a sub.

Hibs never lost in any games in which he scored

And if that was one of that lot across the road, we'd rightly be calling him a wage thief and things like that. End of is that if he was reliable enough, good enough and produced enough he would have been playing more. He wasn't. Wage now freed up for better and more reliable. Good. Move on.

blackpoolhibs
16-05-2010, 09:04 AM
Maybe cos Stokes delivers when he gets his game and Benji hasn't on most occasions? To try to compare our top scorer with someone who perhaps turned it on 1 in 5 is laughable IMHO...

And if that was one of that lot across the road, we'd rightly be calling him a wage thief and things like that. End of is that if he was reliable enough, good enough and produced enough he would have been playing more. He wasn't. Wage now freed up for better and more reliable. Good. Move on.

Spot on. We need to be bringing in better players, if we are to kick on and win a European place consistantly. The 1st 11 players we have, when all fit are good enough to do that. Its when we delve into the reserve players, we do come up short.

We dont have strength in depth, and although we do need to strengthen the team, we also need to strengthen the bench.

we are hibs
16-05-2010, 09:12 AM
darren mcormack released as well acorrding to sky sports news
(http://http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11792_6154821,00.html)

Baldy
16-05-2010, 09:15 AM
darren mcormack released as well acorrding to sky sports news
(http://http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11792_6154821,00.html)

wow, you on the ball

3pm
16-05-2010, 09:17 AM
wow, you on the ball

Better update the thread title! Ha!

Bayern Bru
16-05-2010, 09:25 AM
I think the fact that most posters' reactions to Benji leaving have been 'remember his performance in the CIS final?' tells a story. He's not really reached the same level since then, which is a pity for whatever reason but we can't be too sentimental. Better that he leaves and we are able to bring in a striker with a superior goal ratio and/or bring through a youngster like Byrne than hold onto him and not really benefit from his place in the squad.

Not surprised about McCormack going; I think he made one big error too many, and the last couple of times I saw him I wasn't convinced. Not that surprised or upset about Cregg either. The fact that he couldn't hold down a regular starting berth suggests that there was something lacking in his game, or that he was too similar to our first choice midfielders. I think Stevenson's versatility could be one reason why he'll be kept on - plus the fact that I don't think he's as bad as people tend to make out; yes he's had his bad games and his good games but he seems to have unfairly adopted a scapegoat position amongst some of the support.

Gow I'm unsure of. I never really saw enough of him to gauge his ability, aside from that goal against...Montrose, I think? I'm not too fussed either way if he comes back or not. I don't think he adds that much to what we've got, and so far I don't see him as the kind of player you'd bring on with 20 minutes left in the hope he could win you the match.

Maka is a tough one. It's a head vs heart situation I think. We all loved the big lad's character and nature but the crux of the matter is, if you make basic errors in goals, you'll get crucified for it and at this level you need to be a good keeper, and you need to be able to pick yourself up after a mistake and put it behind you, rather than dwell on it and let it affect the rest of your performance. There's clearly some ability within Maka, it's whether or not he's got the mentality to allow it to come through whilst simultaneously increasing his confidence.

That said, a big thanks to all of them for what they've contributed to our club.

ekhibee
16-05-2010, 11:21 AM
I think the fact that most posters' reactions to Benji leaving have been 'remember his performance in the CIS final?' tells a story. He's not really reached the same level since then, which is a pity for whatever reason but we can't be too sentimental. Better that he leaves and we are able to bring in a striker with a superior goal ratio and/or bring through a youngster like Byrne than hold onto him and not really benefit from his place in the squad.

Not surprised about McCormack going; I think he made one big error too many, and the last couple of times I saw him I wasn't convinced. Not that surprised or upset about Cregg either. The fact that he couldn't hold down a regular starting berth suggests that there was something lacking in his game, or that he was too similar to our first choice midfielders. I think Stevenson's versatility could be one reason why he'll be kept on - plus the fact that I don't think he's as bad as people tend to make out; yes he's had his bad games and his good games but he seems to have unfairly adopted a scapegoat position amongst some of the support.

Gow I'm unsure of. I never really saw enough of him to gauge his ability, aside from that goal against...Montrose, I think? I'm not too fussed either way if he comes back or not. I don't think he adds that much to what we've got, and so far I don't see him as the kind of player you'd bring on with 20 minutes left in the hope he could win you the match.

Maka is a tough one. It's a head vs heart situation I think. We all loved the big lad's character and nature but the crux of the matter is, if you make basic errors in goals, you'll get crucified for it and at this level you need to be a good keeper, and you need to be able to pick yourself up after a mistake and put it behind you, rather than dwell on it and let it affect the rest of your performance. There's clearly some ability within Maka, it's whether or not he's got the mentality to allow it to come through whilst simultaneously increasing his confidence.

That said, a big thanks to all of them for what they've contributed to our club.
Totaly agree with all your comments here, apart from Stevenson who IMO has had plenty of chances to prove his worth. On the subject of potential leavers, I wonder what price the club would sell Hogg for? £2 million? I'd definitely take that.

bingo70
16-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Totaly agree with all your comments here, apart from Stevenson who IMO has had plenty of chances to prove his worth. On the subject of potential leavers, I wonder what price the club would sell Hogg for? £2 million? I'd definitely take that.

:confused:

Are you joking?

If we were to be offered £150-£200k i'd be delighted with that.

I'm_cabbaged
16-05-2010, 11:29 AM

:faf:

Take that number and divide by 100.

ekhibee
16-05-2010, 11:41 AM
:faf:

Take that number and divide by 100.
I totally agree, but I'd still take 2 million if somebody was daft enough to pay it. He is club captain an aw that.

Sammy7nil
16-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I would Defo have kept Maka and Emptied Stack or Smith

If Maka could concentrate for 95 mins there is a Keeper in their. Young guy who in 2 - 3 years could be the Dogs BollXXXs

The other keeper are what they are with no potential

Cropley10
16-05-2010, 01:59 PM

Aye like Smith did against Hearts and Well?

Maka will go on to good things...

TornadoHibby
16-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Aye like Smith did against Hearts and Well?

Maka will go on to good things...

Villified on here and by some at games for things that you see in the EPL week in week out without a public outcry ensuing thereafter followed by a policy of never forgetting any "particular" bad incident but forgetting ALL good ones!! :cool2:

I'm disappointed in one way that Maka has moved on as I felt that he had the potential to become a top keeper for Hibs and maybe just needed a bit of confidence building coaching (to go with the technical coaching) which it appears he never got at ER. However, I'm pleased in another in that I hope that he gets the support he needs to realise his potential at his next club and shows everyone what he is actually capable of on a week in week out basis! :agree:

bingo70
16-05-2010, 02:16 PM

If Maka could concentrate for 95 mins there is a Keeper in their. Young guy who in 2 - 3 years could be the Dogs BollXXXs

Maka is the only one out of contract so it makes sense to free him, have Brown as first choice next season with Stack as back up, Smith 3rd choice then when Smiths contract expires next season we get shot of him then.

Andy74
16-05-2010, 03:35 PM
The same things have been said about maka for three years now. He showed no signs of cutting out the basic errors so the right decision has been made. Some top notch revisionism of his displays going on here though! He has been emptied for his form over three years and quite right too.

Bobo
16-05-2010, 03:40 PM
The writing was on the wall for Maka after this (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6960748.stm) ... For his size and physique he really was a fairy.

IMO Maka never really offered much and sadly lacked even the basics skills required for a keeper. He should have been released before now.

Benji was an undoubted talent when he was in the mood but his petulance and moods coupled with personal problems prevented him from fulfilling his real potential. His downfall for me was reading his own press after the cup final and believing he was better than he really was.

Cregg is well known by Yogi so the fact he was only initially given a 1 year deal would maybe indicate that Yogi only ever saw him as a stop-gap signing? He started fairly well but after losing his starting place he never really threatened to get it back.

McCormack was a promising youngster but there is only so long that you can retain that tag. He's been found wanting a few times this season but admittedly our defence collectively is pretty poor so couldn't really instill the laddie with confidence. He may go on to become a better player but our defensive problems need addressed now and not two seasons down the road. His off-field antics put paid to him having the opportunity to progress any further.

Gow has hardly kicked a ball for us so it's difficult to assess him on the little time he's played. Whether Yogi brings him back as a free agent remains to be seen but there may be better options that present themselves during the closed season?

I can't say I disagree with any of these players being released, there's maybe one or two others who could also go but I don't really see the club paying off contracted players unless it has a direct impact on bringing a new signing to the club.

It's going to be interesting to see how Yogi's transfer dealings unfold between now and August.

hibee4life1983
16-05-2010, 05:00 PM
This arguing over maka is nonsense, hes a bad goalkeeper who couldnt catch a tortoise, decent shot stopper but bread and butter keeping is catching and holding on to the ball, not that stack or smith are that much better, but they are, simple.

I for one am glad i wont get to see him playing again for the mighty hibs, nowhere near good enough.

Andy74
16-05-2010, 07:02 PM
What basic errors are you referring to? Staying on his line? Charging out of his box three times a la Stack? Letting in eleven goals in two games a la Smith? Getting us knocked out of the cup at Dingwall a la Smith? With his lamentably pathetic non jump and flap at their winner? Is this the same Maka that had four shut outs in a row before he got dumped for Daisy and Marigold who then played their part in the worst run of defeats since records began? Amazing thought process!

Yep they've all had a few mistakes now. Just one of them has been doing it non stop for 3 yrs now though.

TornadoHibby
16-05-2010, 07:14 PM
those mistakes you're talking about don't reflect in the stats. Are you one of the group who thinks that when Maka fumbles a ball and nothing comes of it that it's a howler? And when Pinkie or Perkie fumble a ball and nothing comes of it ..It's not even worthy of comment?

Waste of your time mate! :cool2:

Many of us have been there as we share your view of Maka and trying to put your reasonable and accurate views over is about as successful with those that "don't agree" as p*ssing against the wind! :agree:

PISTOL1875
16-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I accept Maka is far from the finished article, but he's got potential.

He has suffered from the media stereotype about Hibs' keepers, and seems to lack self-belief.

There will be lots of players with more experience and profile than him without a contract sorted out for next season yet.

He suffered from having a laid back attitude and whenever the going got to tough from him , he feined injury and bottled it....

PISTOL1875
16-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Exactly.. Too much of a laid back attitude....

Hibs On Tour
16-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Maka. No comment needed.

YouTube - Terrible kick Ma-Kalamba!! [ MUST SEE THIS!!] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJagu72hVE&feature=related)

ENDOF.

Andy74
16-05-2010, 08:50 PM
those mistakes you're talking about don't reflect in the stats. Are you one of the group who thinks that when Maka fumbles a ball and nothing comes of it that it's a howler? And when Pinkie or Perkie fumble a ball and nothing comes of it ..It's not even worthy of comment?

I'm not in any sort of group. Maka wasn't good enough and proved that over three years. Stats are useless when it comes to maka. He's good for a week or two then messes up again. Funny how he has more people defending him now than when he was playing. Do you think we've all forgotten and can be foooled with stats? I backed him for ages and when I give up on a hibs player that says enough. I still reckon alan o'brien and konte had something to offer.

TornadoHibby
16-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I'm not in any sort of group. Maka wasn't good enough and proved that over three years. Stats are useless when it comes to maka. He's good for a week or two then messes up again. Funny how he has more people defending him now than when he was playing. Do you think we've all forgotten and can be foooled with stats? I backed him for ages and when I give up on a hibs player that says enough. I still reckon alan o'brien and konte had something to offer.

Bollocks and you know that! :wink:

You most certainly did not IIRC! :cool2:

:faf: :faf: No you don't! :faf::faf:

easterhib
16-05-2010, 10:06 PM
Exactly right..Shocking decision by Yogi.I've yet to see these basic errors Maka made every time he played. In fact I wish I had the ability or technology to compile a video of the saves and catches from crosses or corners Maka made in his time here. IMO if we had stuck with him we would have ended up 3rd and been in the cup final!
i agree..maka best out of four! But do we have a gk coach?.

snooky
16-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Maka. No comment needed.

YouTube - Terrible kick Ma-Kalamba!! [ MUST SEE THIS!!] (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDJagu72hVE&feature=related)[/URL]

ENDOF.

Aye, for me, that was the final nail in his pine box.
You can't defend the indefensable.

Andy74
17-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Bollocks and you know that! :wink:

You most certainly did not IIRC! :cool2:

:faf: :faf: No you don't! :faf::faf:

Yep I was one that was backing Mak probbaly up until the game he came on as a sub and made 2 or 3 stupid decisions in one half and then followed it up with the Rangers game.

I thought there was agreat keeper in there but this season again has just proved to me that there's an awful lot of work left in there to get that great keeper out.

I think most of it is in the mind with him and that's the hardest bit to sort, his personality would ned to change completely.

Okay, konte might be pushing it but I almost never give up on any Hibs player.

jacomo
17-05-2010, 08:40 AM

I never said that Benji is better than Stokes. If it has to be a choice between the two, then it's clear that only one of them has taken his opportunity at Hibs.

I am dismayed at this thread though, with posters gleefully laying into Maka and Benji. IMO, both players have talent and ability, and it's a sad day to see them go.

If Hibs are going to get where we want them to (wherever that is), I believe we need two types of players - talented individuals who's careers have stalled and need a fresh start, and good youngsters. On our budget, the rest will be journeymen and average pros.

If these players have no future at the club, fine. I've expressed my view, but I'm not going to hold it against the manager.

But Yogi will need to work hard this summer to bring in more players of the quality of Stokes and Miller, and hope that he can get the attitude of the entire squad right for the whole season next time.

Danderhall Hibs
17-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Is this the same Maka that had four shut outs in a row before he got dumped for Daisy and Marigold who then played their part in the worst run of defeats since records began? Amazing thought process!

Were "daisy" or "marigold" in goals during our unbeaten run at the start of the season?

Hibs On Tour
17-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I never said that Benji is better than Stokes. If it has to be a choice between the two, then it's clear that only one of them has taken his opportunity at Hibs.

I am dismayed at this thread though, with posters gleefully laying into Maka and Benji. IMO, both players have talent and ability, and it's a sad day to see them go.

If Hibs are going to get where we want them to (wherever that is), I believe we need two types of players - talented individuals who's careers have stalled and need a fresh start, and good youngsters. On our budget, the rest will be journeymen and average pros.

If these players have no future at the club, fine. I've expressed my view, but I'm not going to hold it against the manager.

But Yogi will need to work hard this summer to bring in more players of the quality of Stokes and Miller, and hope that he can get the attitude of the entire squad right for the whole season next time.

Don't think it so much people gleefully laying into them, more just accepting that they're not likely to make the step up at Hibs. They've both had way more than enough time to do so and haven't so why the wringing of hands and crying about them being freed? End result is down to them, not us. If they'd produced the goods we'd all be clamouring for them to stay after all.

Agree 100% with the rest.