PDA

View Full Version : anyone remember dougie cromb in 1992

jockodile
13-05-2010, 10:49 AM
getting on each of the fan buses outside er just about to depart for anderlecht? back in the day air prices were out of the range of most fans. i seem to recall it was 90 to go by bus, 350 by plane.

wonder if rod petrie appreciates how much that meant at the time even if poor dougie was roundly slagged by 'refreshed' fans enroute for a euro adventure.

was it really 18 rs ago...yikes

linlithgowhibbie
13-05-2010, 10:52 AM
I knew Dougie quite well in those days and was invited in for tea/coffee several times, a real gent.
Didn't get on our bus tho' we left fi Linlithgow:thumbsup:

Spike Mandela
13-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Also seen him with other board members and Anderlecht officials being, ahem, 'shown round' the red light district in Brussels.:devil:

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-05-2010, 11:16 AM
getting on each of the fan buses outside er just about to depart for anderlecht? back in the day air prices were out of the range of most fans. i seem to recall it was 90 to go by bus, 350 by plane.

wonder if rod petrie appreciates how much that meant at the time even if poor dougie was roundly slagged by 'refreshed' fans enroute for a euro adventure.

was it really 18 rs ago...yikesYou should have tried Sphere Travel, return flights & Brussels Hilton digs for about £190! :thumbsup:

Jay
13-05-2010, 11:31 AM

My dad knew him fairly well and always speaks highly of him. :agree:

sauzee1966
13-05-2010, 11:37 AM
This man was a real gent and knew him very well. His wife was Dutch and also a really nice person.
He always had Hibs at heart and used to own a company called Innes & Cromb

My dad knew him fairly well and always speaks highly of him. :agree:

Jay
13-05-2010, 11:42 AM
This man was a real gent and knew him very well. His wife was Dutch and also a really nice person.
He always had Hibs at heart and used to own a company called Innes & Cromb

His daughter runs the company now, my brother works for them.

sauzee1966
13-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Is it still owned by the Cromb Family?? import Export if i remember right.

His daughter runs the company now, my brother works for them.

bawheid
13-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I wrote to Dougie Cromb when I was about 13 expressing concern at the proposed move to Straiton. He wrote a personal letter back (i.e. non-generic) outlining all the issues for the club although stating his desire to remain at Easter Road.

Think he got a bit too close to Alex Miller in the end, but always thought he was a top bloke.

Jay
13-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Is it still owned by the Cromb Family?? import Export if i remember right.

Yeah he does the scottish souveniers and T shirt printing, I'm sure there is more to it than that but thats all I know.

FranckSuzy
13-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I serve him his lottery tickets nearly every Saturday. Very pleasant man. He must be down on his luck as he puts about £60 on at a time :devil:

Removed
13-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I wrote to Dougie Cromb when I was about 13 expressing concern at the proposed move to Straiton. He wrote a personal letter back (i.e. non-generic) outlining all the issues for the club although stating his desire to remain at Easter Road.

Think he got a bit too close to Alex Miller in the end, but always thought he was a top bloke.

:agree:

I wrote to him complaining about something back then too and he wrote a presonal letter back inviting me into his office for a face to face chat and a cuppa :cool2:

I serve him his lottery tickets nearly every Saturday. Very pleasant man. He must be down on his luck as he puts about £60 on at a time :devil:

I see him most weeks coming in and out of my street. I think he has some business connection who lives near me. Any yes times must be hard, the jag is away and he drives a wee mazda I think or something like that. Still got the DC number plate though.

Jonnyboy
13-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Dougie was and still is a true gent but his unstinting support for Alex Miller caused him to be a bit unpopular when Lexo was in about year 8, 9 and 10 of his reign. In conversation with Dougie one day he turned to me and said "You know I don't think it's fair that you call Alex by that awful name" to which I replied "Which one" and he said "Lexo" - I nearly burst out laughing and said "You know what Dougie, that's mild compared to a lot of the names he could be called." He took it all in good part and was never one to bear a grudge.

His daughter, Nicky I think, has the H18S FC reg on her car

Frazerbob
13-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Dougie was and still is a true gent but his unstinting support for Alex Miller caused him to be a bit unpopular when Lexo was in about year 8, 9 and 10 of his reign. In conversation with Dougie one day he turned to me and said "You know I don't think it's fair that you call Alex by that awful name" to which I replied "Which one" and he said "Lexo" - I nearly burst out laughing and said "You know what Dougie, that's mild compared to a lot of the names he could be called." He took it all in good part and was never one to bear a grudge.

His daughter, Nicky I think, has the H18S FC reg on her car

I always remember an interview with DC during the Hands Off Hibs campaign when he stated that if they won and he was to become chairman, the first thing he would do would be remove the current managemnet team. Of course that never happened. Sure I still have the interview on VHS in the attic.

And to answer the OP, yes I remember DC coming on the buses outside ER to wish us all a safe journey to Belgium AND TO BEHAVE!

bawheid
13-05-2010, 01:35 PM

I wrote to him complaining about something back then too and he wrote a presonal letter back inviting me into his office for a face to face chat and a cuppa :cool2:

I was 13, it would have been wholly inappropriate to be invited into his office. You would have been what, 40 at the time? :duck: :greengrin

Removed
13-05-2010, 01:47 PM
I was 13, it would have been wholly inappropriate to be invited into his office. You would have been what, 40 at the time? :duck: :greengrin

:grr: 31 if you've been listening to Fairnie but he spouts a loady pish :agree:

I went with my dad but I think I was over the age of consent :greengrin just :wink:

If Only
13-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Before Mr. Cromb took over Hibs Duff and Gray where in charge. They had presumably arranged a tour in Ireland but when Mr Cromb took over he found out that only one game had been confirmed, he reluctantly cancelled the tour as it was to late to organise other opposition. I had booked up flights and travel for myself, my son, my girlfriend at the time and my mate. We decided to still go to Ireland but I wrote a letter to E.R. complaining about the late cancellation. The day after we came back from Ireland I recieved a phone call from Mr.Cromb with an apology, not only that but he asked me what part of the ground I sat in and offered to gve me 3 season tickets as compensation. I can see that happening with Petrie......not. Mr. Cromb a true gent.

ronaldo7
13-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I too have been in Dougie's office:cool2: Very informal in those days.

He invited us for a chat when we were thinking of moving seats within the stadium. A more personable chap you couldn't meet.

I was staying in Manchester at the time of the Anderlecht game and flew from there.

Stayed in Bruges and got the train down to Brussels on the day of the game.

Superb support in "The grand Place", and at the match.

GGTTH

Leith Green
13-05-2010, 03:18 PM
My memory of him is when he wrote an open letter to season ticket holders in the famous five stand branding a section of them morons for reacting to old firm an Hertz fans in the corporate area..

Probably not the wisest thing to call your own season ticket holders, there were quite a few irate fans on the back of this and im pretty sure there was an apology after it

southfieldhibby
13-05-2010, 03:19 PM

He never got on The IEC outside Le Nip Royale, he would have been eaten!What a bus journey that was :greengrin

Pretty Boy
13-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Before Mr. Cromb took over Hibs Duff and Gray where in charge. They had presumably arranged a tour in Ireland but when Mr Cromb took over he found out that only one game had been confirmed, he reluctantly cancelled the tour as it was to late to organise other opposition. I had booked up flights and travel for myself, my son, my girlfriend at the time and my mate. We decided to still go to Ireland but I wrote a letter to E.R. complaining about the late cancellation. The day after we came back from Ireland I recieved a phone call from Mr.Cromb with an apology, not only that but he asked me what part of the ground I sat in and offered to gve me 3 season tickets as compensation. I can see that happening with Petrie......not. Mr. Cromb a true gent.

Not quite the same thing but when we reached the 2001 Scottih Cup final a mix up at the ticket office meant i didn't get the neccessary application forms, that were issued with all semi final tickets, to go into the ballot for final tickets. I wrote a letter of complaint to the club and received a call from Rod Petrie himself the afternoon they received my letter saying that if i gave him my details he would personally fill out my application forms and ensure i was entered into the ballot. A few weeks later my tickets arrived. For all the bad press he gets that particular incident reflected very well on him IMO.

Jamesie
13-05-2010, 06:34 PM
I remember having a chat with Dougie (it may have been in the club shop but my mind may be playing tricks on me; was he still in charge with the new north and south stands in place) about Kevin Harper's allegations of racism against Gary MacKay.

Dougie was disappointed that Kevin had gone straight to the press, as if he had come to him Dougie would have instead taken the allegations to the highest level at the SFA.

I was at the Anderlecht home game but far too young to buy tickets etc at the time, however I have heard a story that tickets couldn't be sold by the club on matchday - so to get round that rule Dougie sold them from a shop on Easter Road instead?!

Nakedmanoncrack
13-05-2010, 07:04 PM

I also wrote to him outlining my concerns over what would have been a disastrous move to Straton. Being a bit older than you, about 21 at the time, I got the invite to discuss the issues in his office. Meeting must have lasted about an hour, still have the letter from him on display in my memorabilia cabinet. I don't think there is any doubt we were proved right, surely there can be nobody who would prefer to be going to watch Hibs at Straiton next season rather than our newly completed home.

Removed
13-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I also wrote to him outlining my concerns over what would have been a disastrous move to Straton. Being a bit older than you, about 21 at the time, I got the invite to discuss the issues in his office. Meeting must have lasted about an hour, still have the letter from him on display in my memorabilia cabinet. I don't think there is any doubt we were proved right, surely there can be nobody who would prefer to be going to watch Hibs at Straiton next season rather than our newly completed home.

Would have been handy for Costco though :cool2:

Nakedmanoncrack
13-05-2010, 07:08 PM
I was at the Anderlecht home game but far too young to buy tickets etc at the time, however I have heard a story that tickets couldn't be sold by the club on matchday - so to get round that rule Dougie sold them from a shop on Easter Road instead?!

Don't know about that but the ticket office at that time used to be on Easter Road, where a Polish shop is now just past Sunnyside. Tickets also used to be sold from a shop further up Easter Rd.

Auckland Hibs
13-05-2010, 07:58 PM
He never got on The IEC outside Le Nip Royale, he would have been eaten!What a bus journey that was :greengrin

He would have been allowed on if he had brought a carry out!

nil7
13-05-2010, 09:12 PM
He jumped on our bus to be met with a "one Barry Norman, there's only one....." He did have a passing resemblance.

I also got invited into his office once as I was paying my last instalment of the £100 the club asked supporters to help by donating to the club. Other than my name on some board in the bottom of the Famous Five I never knew what happened to that money.

monktonharp
13-05-2010, 09:22 PM
My memory of him is when he wrote an open letter to season ticket holders in the famous five stand branding a section of them morons for reacting to old firm an Hertz fans in the corporate area..

Probably not the wisest thing to call your own season ticket holders, there were quite a few irate fans on the back of this and im pretty sure there was an apology after it:agree:my mate and I were offered a meeting with him,on that issue. we took up the offer,never changed his mind on kicking the "corporstes" out at the time though:grr: but he was an absolate gent,and a Hibby through and through.also joined in the "fun" in a cafe' in Brussels withe Hibs fans too, left after the first drink,cos he was up early:thumbsup:

BroxburnHibee
13-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Probably not the wisest thing to call your own season ticket holders, there were quite a few irate fans on the back of this and im pretty sure there was an apology after it

Aye I can mind getting that letter as well.

It happened after Hibs fans went berserk when a few idiot jambos in the corporate started giving us the v-signs when they scored. We sat above them at the time.

All manner of stuff got chucked at them :greengrin

I went in for the tea and chat as well after sending him a pretty strongly worded reply :wink: He was (and I imagine still is) a good guy to be honest and you could tell how passionate a hibby he was.

Carheenlea
13-05-2010, 09:51 PM
He jumped on our bus to be met with a "one Barry Norman, there's only one....." He did have a passing resemblance.

Think your getting mixed up with Dennis Norden?

Can remember going to an early Club 86 meeting in the old stand one night and Dougie Cromb had the place thick with smoke as he ploughed through a considerable amount of cigarettes during the meeting in these pre health conscious legislation days :smokin

Bishop Hibee
13-05-2010, 09:57 PM
I well remember him getting on our bus and asking people to behave. It was one of the most outrageous trips I've ever been on :greengrin

Mucho bevvy on the bus, guys shoplifting in Wigan services for presents for the family, the service station closing and the police arriving just as we left. Mayhem at Dover and on the ferry, karaoke from the bus convener on the bus mic, stealing the driver's sweets and him refusing to drive the bus until he got them back :faf: and the list of "escapades" could go on.

To top it all, my mate missed the bus back but knowing Tommy Graham who ran/runs(?) Sphere Travel, he got onto the flight home with the team. The Evening News tried to do a "Hibs Help Young Fan" story complete with picture but my mate refused as he was on the sick from work for the trip! They did run it but he remained nameless.

Roll on Europe 2010 :greengrin

hibee4life1983
13-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Absolute legend.True story,
During high school long after he had stoped being chairman, second year which wouldve been 97, belive it or not he was taking an adult learning course in IT, at, wait for it. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Wester hailes education center (whec). being one of a very small veriety miniortiy of hibbys i was amazed to see him roaming through the main entrance at break, i promptly stopped him and asked to shake his hand, he was happy to, asked my name then chatted away with me for a good five minutes or so about hibs, long enough for me to be late for my next class, when asked were i was i replied i just had a few words with the ex hibs chairman to which all the hertz and glory hunters took great pride in laughing so hard it haunts me to this day i got ripped senseless for the whole day, so bad.

I was to have the last laugh though, the next day at registration class i was told to go to see the head,
Pantsing it, trying hard to remember anything id got away with recently i went to Mr Goodalls office, to my utter amazement he usherd me in to tell me Mr Crombe had told him what an inteligent lad i was and that he had popped back in that morning with a parcel for me,

I got handed a heavy envelope,
Inside was a small bag with 5 scotland pin badges and a hand written letter, the letter read: dear leon
It was a pleasure meeting and trading thoughts on the hibs with you, heres a few scotland badges that are normally only given to players, give them out to your hibs pals. Yours, douglas crombe.

Oh how i gloated, and did anyone get a badge? None of the bams that laughed did!!
I did give a few out to hibs m8s, still got two!!

hibee4life1983
13-05-2010, 10:13 PM
******, i cant spell. Cromb, i meant, how wrong was he eh?? Lol

FranckSuzy
13-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Absolute legend.True story,
During high school long after he had stoped being chairman, second year which wouldve been 97, belive it or not he was taking an adult learning course in IT, at, wait for it. . . . . . . . . . . . . . Wester hailes education center (whec). being one of a very small veriety miniortiy of hibbys i was amazed to see him roaming through the main entrance at break, i promptly stopped him and asked to shake his hand, he was happy to, asked my name then chatted away with me for a good five minutes or so about hibs, long enough for me to be late for my next class, when asked were i was i replied i just had a few words with the ex hibs chairman to which all the hertz and glory hunters took great pride in laughing so hard it haunts me to this day i got ripped senseless for the whole day, so bad.

I was to have the last laugh though, the next day at registration class i was told to go to see the head,
Pantsing it, trying hard to remember anything id got away with recently i went to Mr Goodalls office, to my utter amazement he usherd me in to tell me Mr Crombe had told him what an inteligent lad i was and that he had popped back in that morning with a parcel for me,

I got handed a heavy envelope,
Inside was a small bag with 5 scotland pin badges and a hand written letter, the letter read: dear leon
It was a pleasure meeting and trading thoughts on the hibs with you, heres a few scotland badges that are normally only given to players, give them out to your hibs pals. Yours, douglas crombe.

Oh how i gloated, and did anyone get a badge? None of the bams that laughed did!!
I did give a few out to hibs m8s, still got two!!

That's a great story :top marks

jgl07
14-05-2010, 12:33 AM
Aye I recall Dougie Cromb.

Hibs were drawn away to Albion Rovers in the SFL Cup.

There weren't many tickets available, so what does Dougie do? He hands over the entire allocation to the supporters club or what he termed 'real fans'.

In effect he handed all the tickets to people who travel to away matches on buses. Forget season ticket holders, forget those who follow the team home and away. Give all the tickets to people who run buses.

Dougie certainly lost the plot then.

Earlier when Hibs were drawn away to Stenhousemuir in the SFA Cup, season ticket holders were balloted for the allocation an the rest were accommodated via a beam back to Murrayfield Ice Rink. That was a much better arrrangement.

Thanks for nothing Dougie.

sauzee1966
14-05-2010, 08:27 AM
I first met the man as i worked in the Spanish Restaurant at the Queensway hotel on Queensferry road. He was there every saturday night as were most of the Hibs Board at the time. If players signed they used to stay there.

The man was a total gent. He always gave a good tip and at Christmas he used to come in personally and give all the staff envelopes ( not Bungs) as a thank you for looking after them all.

When my father died he asked the owner (Pepe Hernanz) where the funeral was and sent a Wreath from the club. I dont think he was chairman at that time but seemed to have a pull within the club and was also a great friend of Kenny Waugh and Tom Hart.
I thought it was a really nice genture and from a man that obviously had some cash but was one of the fans.
He has green Blood and should be remembered for always putting hibs first. He was also instrumental in getting Farmer on board!

Oh and i remember Kenny Waugh bladdered every saturday night!!!:thumbsup:

There weren't many tickets available, so what does Dougie do? He hands over the entire allocation to the supporters club or what he termed 'real fans'.

In effect he handed all the tickets to people who travel to away matches on buses. Forget season ticket holders, forget those who follow the team home and away. Give all the tickets to people who run buses.

Earlier when Hibs were drawn away to Stenhousemuir in the SFA Cup, season ticket holders were balloted for the allocation an the rest were accommodated via a beam back to Murrayfield Ice Rink. That was a much better arrrangement.

Aubenas
14-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Two sides to every story.
That Albion Rovers cup game: me and the other two baldy casuals hadn't missed a cup game for years. We couldn't get tickets for the game at Cliftonhill, so we wrote to him and explained we had something like 120 years of supporting the club between us, never missed a cup match and were really gutted at missing the tie. By return 3 comp tickets and good wishes.
Lovely reaction I thought.:agree:

dangermouse
14-05-2010, 10:45 AM

I remember that. It was bloody freezing inside (as you'd expect). Stenny had beaten the Dons in the previous round. IIRC the Proclaimers were in the crowd that day and picked out by the TV cameras. Think we won 2 - 0

Aubenas
14-05-2010, 11:08 AM
IIRC the Proclaimers were in the crowd that day and picked out by the TV cameras

I was standing next to them.
Cue all my mates to say: Who were those speccy twins you were standing with at Ochilview?:faf:

Mary Hinge
14-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I too have been in Dougie's office:cool2: Very informal in those days.

He invited us for a chat when we were thinking of moving seats within the stadium. A more personable chap you couldn't meet.

I was staying in Manchester at the time of the Anderlecht game and flew from there.

Stayed in Bruges and got the train down to Brussels on the day of the game.

Superb support in "The grand Place", and at the match.

GGTTH

I remember it well :agree: I think :drunk:

Pretty Boy
14-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I remember that. It was bloody freezing inside (as you'd expect). Stenny had beaten the Dons in the previous round. IIRC the Proclaimers were in the crowd that day and picked out by the TV cameras. Think we won 2 - 0

4-0. I was one of the lucky ones who got a ticket to the game.

dangermouse
14-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Intellectual interlude on my part

Baldy Foghorn
14-05-2010, 05:57 PM

4-0 it was.

A cracking day out, in the Stenhousemuir supporter's club, pre and post match, and made to feel very welcome.....

fatbloke
14-05-2010, 07:34 PM
Dougie Cromb's name brings back many memories.

Club 86 - Messrs McLean, Penman, Janetta, Brennan, Thom,
Lothian's Travel Bus aka Keith Houchen No1. Only making 1 kick off time in 2 seasons - Anderlecht.

Man is a true gent, a more pleasant man you would be hard pushed to meet.

BTW Brian Penman where are you these days? Jail? abroad?

Conrad Gray
14-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Am I right in thinking that Mr Cromb went to Raith Rovers after Hibs?? Also, does he ever attend at ER now? - I seem to remember something about him not wanting to return.

Jonnyboy
14-05-2010, 07:38 PM

Me too :greengrin:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
14-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Dougie Cromb's name brings back many memories.

Club 86 - Messrs McLean, Penman, Janetta, Brennan, Thom,
Lothian's Travel Bus aka Keith Houchen No1. Only making 1 kick off time in 2 seasons - Anderlecht.

Man is a true gent, a more pleasant man you would be hard pushed to meet.

BTW Brian Penman where are you these days? Jail? abroad?

I see him at most away games

Am I right in thinking that Mr Cromb went to Raith Rovers after Hibs?? Also, does he ever attend at ER now? - I seem to remember something about him not wanting to return.

Aye the Raith thing was weird. IIRC they looked like going to the wall and DC stepped in to try and help save them but was viewed with suspicion as he was obviously a well known Hibs man. I think he bailed quite quickly or maybe was encouraged to go? :dunno:

Hibernia Na Eir
14-05-2010, 07:43 PM

i was on one of those buses and remember the night well. Started off in the Hibs Club then onto the coaches outside the old West Stand. Ive still got the A4 bit paper from Hibs asking us to behave (in a long winded kind of way!) But it wasnt long after Hysel, so i can understand why they did this.

Buses were fun back then, but i couldnt go back to travelling like that again! There was a guy sick on our coach on way down to Dover, and we hadnt even left Edinburgh!

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I remember him taking a fiver off me for a bottle of Famous 5 white wine after we beat the pars, chateau cinq de whatever, its still in the house, when we win the SC Im thinking it wont taste too good!