PDA

View Full Version : How Did You Become A Hibby??

Biff Tannen
12-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Was wondering how you became a Hibs fan if you werent brought in to the world through a Hibs supporting family??

I'm a Hibs fan cause my old man made me one from the second i was born (Cheers Faither!:wink:) but i'm interested in other peoples storys, sure theres a few good ones!

Bayern Bru
12-05-2010, 11:18 PM
My great-uncle played for Hibs in the 1920s, and prior to that, as my family had emigrated from Ireland it was de rigeur to support Hibernians.

My first game was coincidentally Tommy Burns' last game as a player for Kilmarnock. (0-0). My dad had been attending Hibs games since he moved back up to Edinburgh from near Liverpool, and passed the torch on to me in 1994.

My dad's often said that if I'd decided to support Celtic or Hearts or any other inferior team :greengrin that he'd take me to see them. But being realistic, there was no way I was ever going to support anyone other than Hibs.

Kevvy1875
12-05-2010, 11:21 PM
It was a calling:thumbsup:

Just like when the Minister or the Priest heard God.......I heard Hibs:jamboak:

hibeemikey21
12-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Same, brainwashed by the old man. Apparently I had a (very brief) little wobble when I was a nipper and claimed I was a Rangers fan with John Brown being my favourite player (WTF!!??), but everyone has a few skeletons in their closet. Think it was a very short lived glory hunting phase as I had never experienced what glory was with Hibs! Didnt rate it, so came back to the good guys about a week later!!

Never regretted the decision.......................:rolleyes:

:greengrin

greenlex
12-05-2010, 11:36 PM
I got bit by one. Every full moon I get this urge to go to gorgie and cause havoc.

Fife-Hibee
12-05-2010, 11:42 PM
My uncle John used to drive the team and club buses during the sixties, would take me and my wee cous along with him to most of the games. I was hooked from day one. Cheers uncle John R.I.P.:notworthy:

monktonharp
12-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Same, brainwashed by the old man. Apparently I had a (very brief) little wobble when I was a nipper and claimed I was a Rangers fan with John Brown being my favourite player (WTF!!??), but everyone has a few skeletons in their closet. Think it was a very short lived glory hunting phase as I had never experienced what glory was with Hibs! Didnt rate it, so came back to the good guys about a week later!!

Never regretted the decision.......................:rolleyes:

:greengrin:agree:had the same skeleton in my cupboard,feel awrite now though:wink:

steviecarnie
13-05-2010, 12:05 AM
old man born and bred in leith, I was born in livingston and was shipped down to dunstable (just outside milton keynes) till i was 3ish, first trip to easter road was when the team brought the skol cup back to parade at the ground, was taken into the old main stand and i was still so small and light the seat flipped up and i got stuck.

First match i think was anderlecht but it coulda been before then. but im not sure.

OstKurve Hibs
13-05-2010, 01:29 AM
As soon as i was born i was a hibby, leith born and old man also leith born so no contest. I moved to auchterarder (ootside perth) when i was 11 and done the tour of my new school in a hibs shirt, was funny as f cos all the other bairns were lookin at me like i was some kind of alien! Gloryhuntin bassas!!! not the 1st game i went to but 1st i remember was a game at e.r n we beat partick thistle 5-1. When i was about 5 yr old i remember greetin cos my old man only had 1 ticket for the skol cup final n i walked him tae the bus he says he looked out the window i was standin bubblin, he still feels **** till this day:thumbsup:

James Connolly
13-05-2010, 03:34 AM
My grandad's stories about the Famous Five always had me engrossed; that and being born & bred 5 mins fron the stadium (Craigentinny).

eezyrider
13-05-2010, 05:34 AM
I grew up in Meadowfield/ Northfield so it was natural really. My dad took me to my first game in the late 60s. I'm sure we won 3 or 4-0.

EZ

bighairyfaeleith
13-05-2010, 05:54 AM
I was born:greengrin

delbert
13-05-2010, 07:15 AM
My Dad took me to my first game around 1967, a friendly against Gornik, we lost 2-1, Peter Cormack scored for Hibs, but the moment I came over the top of big terracing and looked down at the pitch with the floodlights on, I was hooked, that and the fact that my Dad was a diehard Hibby all his life and would had already spoken endlessly about the Famous Five etc. My son is now a season ticket holder, and I know he feels the same way about this club, truly, it's in the blood.

weonlywon6-2
13-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Was wondering how you became a Hibs fan if you werent brought in to the world through a Hibs supporting family??

I'm a Hibs fan cause my old man made me one from the second i was born (Cheers Faither!:wink:) but i'm interested in other peoples storys, sure theres a few good ones!

in 1978 my brother and a few of his pals were going to a hibs v dundee united game and wee brother was asked if he wanted to go and i did,thats how i became a hibby.
my dad is a lifelong jambo as is my oldest brother and my mothers side are all rangers.
dont regret one second,had some fantastic days following hibs

GGTTH:thumbsup:

creebo1875
13-05-2010, 07:39 AM
My old man couldnt care less about football but for some reason he liked Hibs, so i followed suit. There was a period though when he decided celtic were his team, and once again i followed but that was due to Henrik Larssons dread locks and soon as he left i jumped ship and swam back to the Hibees.

A period in my life if i could go back in time and change i would.

Booked4Being-Ugly
13-05-2010, 07:42 AM
I was taken by my dads mate to Glasgow to watch Celtic. I was blown away by the atmosphere but became less enthusiastic about Celtic when i got older. I couldn't be bothered with the traveling. I stopped going but missed the excitement of match day and was yearning to go and watch football again. I thought about going to watch another club and watching Hearts had crossed my mind as it was the closest geographically to where i stay, in Livingston.

My younger brother and his mates were going through to watch Hibs though and i started going along with them for something to do and never looked back after that!

I have no real ties what so ever to Leith or Edinburgh for that matter but i felt more at home watching Hibs as it seemed a more worthwhile cause and felt more like an extended family. I used to go and bump into neighbors, workmates etc that i never even knew were Hibbies!

On a final note - i was talking to my dad just last week about Pat Stanton coming to Livi for the book signing and asked him if he saw Pat playing. My dad said he never but he told me my late uncle John, whom i have a middle name after, would regularly drive up from England to watch the Hibs on the old East terrace! Something i was not aware of before!

:scarf:

Number69
13-05-2010, 07:44 AM
**** allto do wi my old man,he's a blue nose bassa.

8 years old at primary school in Perth I was a bit of a loan shark and someone borrowed 50p which was a fair bit o money to an 8 year old in 1990. Long story short i had to go chappin doors and the boy couldnt pay up but ha dthis "football" top Icould have as payment.WellI was a shrude businessman, 50p....or a football top worth alot more??

Oh yes Eck the Hibee was born!

Teo10
13-05-2010, 08:18 AM
I was born into a Hibs supporting family BUT.... That yam fud Gary MacKay tried to turn me into a Jambo. My mum was best friends with his ex-wife (Who passed away last week. R.I.P) and my brother was also at school with his youngest son Ryan. He brought me a Hearts Strip to wear once and apparently I just looked at it in complete confusion and refused to wear it:greengrin

My blood will allways be Green and White:notworthy:

I also have to say a big thanks to my brother who posts on here, Renato. For taking me to my first game and since then welll, started a rollercoaster of love!!

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Whole of my Mums (big) family were die hards, Dad wasn't interested in fitba :confused: i'm a born and bred Leither and stll live in gods country :agree: as are both my sons :agree:

SlickShoes
13-05-2010, 08:28 AM
My dad is a Hibby, his dad is a hibby, his dad was a hibby.

I went to my first game when i was that young i cant even remember, and i have had a season ticket ever since i was too big to be lifted over the barrier!

lyonhibs
13-05-2010, 08:31 AM
I didn't even know any other option existed until I was about 7 or 8.

Friends of the family - massive Hibs fans - took me along at the age of 4/5 and that was that. There was never any "choice" or "competition" for me - I supported Hibs by default - the notion of supporting anyone else was completely alien to me :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
13-05-2010, 08:38 AM
It goes like this...................first came to Edinburgh in 1990 and was taken to Tynie for game against Dunfermline (I think). I still had my Lpool season ticket at the time and couldn't believe what a dump of a ground tynie was compared to the English grounds I had been to (and that Hertz could be so ******). Anyway on another visit some weeks later I went to watch the mighty Hibernian and that was that. Moved permanently to Edinburgh in 92 and having given up the Lpool ST I became a Hibs ST holder and the rest is history. My son who is now 16 has followed in my footsteps with a passion for Liverpool FC and of course a ST at ER.

offshorehibby
13-05-2010, 08:45 AM
I suppose in the early 70's i just stumbled into it. The old man wasn't relay into football. All the kids i kicked about with were Hibees. I'd occasionally get taken along by somebody's dad and about 73/74 we'd jump on the bus from sunny Muirhouse and go ourselves.

And never looked back since. :agree:

iainm
13-05-2010, 08:57 AM
I am a Hibby because of my dad

However, he has recently confided in me (he's 83 now) that he was a Rangers supporter up until about the age of 12. Thankfully this changed one day when he was taken to visit relatives who lived in Restalrig. He saw Easter Road, was taken to a game and the rest as they say is history

Thank goodness for these relatives in Restalrig!! :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-05-2010, 09:12 AM
Hibs man 'cos of my old boy. My wee brother never had much choice either. We moved from Albert Street to Hutchison about 30 years ago, no long after that my wee brother came along.

I remember him coming home from Craiglockhart School one day and saying he wanted to be a Jambo as he was getting picked on at school for being just about the only Hibby there. My old boy asked him if he would rather get a doing in the house or at school (he might have only been joking!) anyway, that idea has never entered his head again since! :greengrin

Chuckie
13-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Hearts play in pink and I was always taught that pink was for poofs..

Hillsidehibby
13-05-2010, 09:17 AM
My dad is a jambo and thankfully couldn't be ersed to take me to the football when I was a kid.

Brought up in Abbeyhill so as soon as I was allowed to cross the main road on my own it was Hibs all the way. :greengrin

Leith Green
13-05-2010, 09:23 AM
My entire family are Leithers born and bred..
My entire family are Hibernian born and bred!

This will continue through the generations..

The_Sauz
13-05-2010, 09:48 AM
In the summer of 1964 (Just turned 5) my father & uncle took my big sister & I along to the PBS to watch Hearts & Hibs (at the time I had know idea who was who).
And all I can recall from that day was, it was Sunny and was amazed to see this big green carpet, and when both teams came out, both my father & uncle asked who I wanted to win, and all I said was "The Team in Green & White" only because the strip matched the color of the pitch and the hearts looked dull :agree:.
Just as well I said that, because unknown to me at the time, we were a Hibby family :thumbsup:
Looking back now, I would hate to think what would have happened to me if I said the hearts....probably been left behind and disowned :faf:

The only dark side I have is, I had a 4 week trial for Hearts before singing for Rangers as a schoolboy ( I guess I was not Hibs Class :boo hoo:) But don't worry I did not last long, as I broke my ankle in 2 places and was released (there must be a god :wink:)

gillythehibby
13-05-2010, 10:59 AM
MY old man is a hibby , my Grandad was Hibby and my great Grandad was a hibby when he came over fae the Ross Common in the famine. Guess The good lord was looking after us. :wink:

seanraff07
13-05-2010, 11:02 AM
I was a Hibby the minute i was born.

Although i can't remember it according to my dad my first Hibs game was at ER in a 3-0 win against Raith Rovers when i was 3 years old.:greengrin

cwilliamson85
13-05-2010, 11:07 AM
My Dad s a Jambo and took me to every game for one season and let me choose Hearts or Hibs. Without taking a breathe I shouted Hibs outside Tynecastle arms and the rest they say is history...

should say I was 6 at the time.

kenshrek
13-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I was born the year Leith Athletic went defunct. I was born at the foot of ER and my Dad & Grandad were Leith Athletic fans. So when I got a wee bit older the only Leith team left were Hibs. Started going to ER with my Big Brother and Cousins in 1960 when I was 6 and havn't looked back since. It was different then as there was no TV fitba or replica shirts and all the razzamataz that exists today. If you supported a club you had to go to the games.

Hibercelona
13-05-2010, 12:17 PM
The urge for a life of needles, peg selling & owning my very own caravan was just too much to resist.

since90plustwo
13-05-2010, 01:31 PM
whole family are rangers fans but i decided to go with the local team :wink:

J-C
13-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Born and bread in Leith ( colonies at the Links ), went to Hibs with all my mates when old enough to go on my own, before that used to go to ER with my dad's mates and get a lift over the turnstiles ( ah! those were the days ). :greengrin:thumbsup:

TRC
13-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Granddad used to take me when he was babysitting me so it stuck, Dad was a Dundee fan so lucky escape! being at a Hearts based school was always fun when we got beat of them or when it was scottish cup time, we'll have the last laugh though yams GGTTH:greengrin

Killiehibbie
13-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Brought up in Piershill it was never going to be anybody else. 8 goals in my first game and a cup paraded, I thought that was the norm.

An Leargaidh
13-05-2010, 03:49 PM
in 1978 my brother and a few of his pals were going to a hibs v dundee united game and wee brother was asked if he wanted to go and i did,thats how i became a hibby.
my dad is a lifelong jambo as is my oldest brother and my mothers side are all rangers.
dont regret one second,had some fantastic days following hibs

GGTTH:thumbsup:

In the same year, 1978, I was given the Pannini Football '78 sticker album. Up until then I had admired a few footballers for their obvious playing skills when watching matches on the telly. One of my favourites was Peter McCloy the goalie for Rangers but I never actually supported them thankfully :bitchy:

Anyway my sticker album slowly got filled up with stickers. I am sure I will be proved wrong but in my mind I remember the packets of stickers being something like 5p each for a packet of maybe 4 stickers? I remember being fascinated by the Hibs green and white kit and the Arsenal red and white kit... ...must have had a white sleeve thing going on :greengrin As Hibs were a Scottish team I decided that they were the team to support. My old man was just glad I didn't support Rangers, in fact he went as far as to say "I don't care who you support as long as it is not Rangers" :faf:

On my Mum's side of the family the Blaikies came from the east of the country so it has never seemed strange supporting Hibs even though I've always lived west of Falkirk. Anyway what do I care, my brother supports Ayr United :faf:

So since 1978 and thanks to Panini's sticker album I've been a Hibby :thumbsup: I will never regret that choice, ever :cheers:

erin-go-bragh87
13-05-2010, 03:51 PM
My entire family are Leithers born and bred..
My entire family are Hibernian born and bred!

This will continue through the generations..

Me too, summed up perfectly!!:thumbsup:

An Leargaidh
13-05-2010, 03:54 PM
The urge for a life of needles, peg selling & owning my very own caravan was just too much to resist.

Same here mate :thumbsup: Life on the open road is not one to be scorned! People will always need pegs :greengrin

magpie1892
13-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Moved into a flat just off Leith Walk with two Hibbys.

Newcastle were at The Dell one weekend and the guys asked me if I wanted to join them at ER.

Overall, reasonably pleased with the decision to go along. Least I have seen Hibs win stuff...

Calvin
13-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Decided I liked football, decided I would prefer to support my local team, decided green was better than maroon.

I was the first Hibee, then I went about converting my elders into massive Hibees too.

Sylar
13-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I wa never really "into" football when I was young - I enjoyed playing it, but the thought of supporting a team or watching it on TV just never enticed me.

My uncle, a staunch Rangers fan, took me to my first ever game of football which happened to be Rangers vs Falkirk at Ibrox, back in the late 90's, during the Laudrup, Gascoigne, Stuart McCall, McCoist era. I don't recall if I enjoyed the game or not (as I was still quite young), but I ended up going back a couple of times. There are pictures of me as a Rangers "fan", wearing a couple of their older kits etc, but I don't think I had the right mentality to follow the Old Firm. As I got older and realised what baggage went along with following them (I attended an away game vs. Dunfermline with my dad, who took me along as I wanted to go and listened to these mindless yobs screaming utter bile - even at a young age, I realised how deplorable that lot were). As a result, I moved away from football again and gave up supporting anyone.

Through primary school, 2 of my best mates were Hearts fans. I recall going to Tynecastle with them (and their faithers, who were big Jambos) to a game vs Dundee United - this was during the Colquhoun, Fulton, Robertson era, a couple of years before they beat Rangers in the Scottish Cup final. We spent most of the game screaming "Dykstra!", trying to distract the then United keeper. I had a great day in Edinburgh that day, but again, didn't feel any connection or want to support the "Gorgie Boys".

Then came my first proper "support" of a club. My dad was involved in the development of Almondvale Stadium. Through his various ties with people in the administrative side of the club, he was granted free season tickets for the first season, as a personal thank you for the work he had done. This was immediately after their move to West Lothian - I recall going along to their debut game as Livingston, playing East Stirlingshire in the 3rd division, in a game which was drawn 1-1. I immediately enjoyed the thought of supporting my local club, so my dad and I followed Livingston ALL over the country - home and away, to every stadium and ramshackle garden hut ranging from Stranraer to Inverness. Then, following a superb first division campaign, our venture into the SPL. For any fan of Livingston, this was definitely one of, if not THE best season to support the club. Third in the SPL, playing some sensational football (David Fernandez, Francisco Quino, David Xausa, Stuart Lovell etc) and romping to a convincing European place. I still recall (much to my fiance's dismay) a night in Glasgow on Wednesday 3rd December, where we drew 4-4 with Rangers...this was also our first night as a "couple", yet the football was the lasting impression for many a year! (as she's a Rangers fan, I still wind her up when she brings up the date in reference to our anniversary (oh aye, that was the night we scored 4 at Ibrox, with Rolando Zarate scoring a rifled free kick in the 93rd minute)). Then Europe. From the pokey wee holes such as Central Park and Gayfield to the glitz and glamour of, erm, Vaduz....nonetheless, to have followed the club all the way from division 3 to the UEFA Cup (as it then was) was a wonderful memory - imagine my then delight when we advanced PAST Vaduz into the second qualifying leg to face Sturm Graz, who had stolen a draw at Old Trafford the year before in the Champions League. After getting drubbed 6-2 in the improbably named Arnold Scwarzenager stadium, I witnessed (perhaps even to this day) my greatest game of football ever, with Livingston winning 4-3 at the Almondvale. As I'd gotten older, it became apparent that all was not as it seemed at Livingston, and the first administration came around. That cup final (sorry!) was perhaps my final good memory of following Livingston. The politics and the baggage off the field became unbearable, so again, I became a little disillusioned.

As I moved to Dundee for University, I got a season ticket for Tannadice whilst in my second year. £80 for a year's SPL football seemed like good value. I enjoyed seeing live football again, but wasn't attached to the Arabs. I knew too many ********s who supported them, so the association wasn't great :wink:

As part of a charity challenge in our Uni football team, our coach challenged our perceptions and challenged us to read Heartfelt. He THEN challenged us to see if we could do it - pick a team we didn't like or had no previous connection/affiliation and try supporting them. I decided that Hibs, despite being an Edinburgh club, only 20 miles from where I grew up, were a club I knew nothing about, so I opted to spend a season following them. My first ever game was after Christmas 4 years ago (I think?) with a comfortable win over Arbroath in the Scottish Cup! I've never looked back since, though I'd still be hard-pushed to "pick a side" if they ever come up against Livingston in a cup tie!

Greentinted
13-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Brought up in Balfour Street and attended Holy Cross primary where the proportion of Hibs fans to the combined number of fans of other teams was about 10:1 so the die was cast.
Mum is a nominal Hibby (she looks out for the score and even tries to engage in football talk with me of a saturday, bless her) although has very little interest in the game. Dad done one when I was about 2 so it fell to a Mr Mac, a kindly neighbour to take me to ER.
My first game was a 9-4 win against St Johnstone in 1976 and obviously in my childish imagination the team with the uniqely designed green and white strip would be scoring for fun every time they played so it was indeed, love at first sight.
I remember being lifted-over only to be confronted with a formidable steep incline and then being truly awestruck with the view from atop the (proper) East terrace. I was 7 years old and at last I had entered a the adult environs.
I was, both figuratively and literally on top of the world.
And while things have changed beyond recognition, I still get that same wee boys buzz every time I go to games.

At The Edge
13-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Family for me, old man was never really into football, grandparents is where it came from.
They lived on the corner of London rd where it starts just down from the Playhouse, just above the shop, Granddad saw all the Hibs greats and i guess thats how i got into it, many many stories of the FF, George Best etc etc, cousins are the same a well.
Cheers Grandad, those stories to a young boy has made my life into one long rollercoaster ride following Hibs and it shows no sign of slowing down.
:thumbsup:

sahib
13-05-2010, 06:48 PM

I'm still weighing up the options. A cup win and a league title would maybe swing it for me. If and when I go these days, it is out of respect for my departed father who only stopped going when his brother stopped buying him a season ticket.:wink:

nairn hibee
13-05-2010, 07:10 PM
they played nairn, co pre season 1972,i would have been 8 ,they were the 1rst lge side i had seen,every one else were old firm fans so i wanted to be different,and i think i liked the green with white sleeves think the game ended 1-1 with joe baker scoring but could be wrong

Barney McGrew
13-05-2010, 07:26 PM
It was a calling:thumbsup:

Just like when the Minister or the Priest heard God.......I heard Hibs:jamboak:

:agree:

You don't choose Hibs - Hibs choose you :wink:

Purehibee_MYB
13-05-2010, 07:35 PM
For me It's been in the family since my grandad decided to support Hibs..I'm not entirely sure why he decided this, but we've followed suit ever since. My first match was against St.Johnstone I think and I cant remember the full time score, but what I do remember is that we were 1-0 up before I was even up the stairs... I can't actually remember the full time score, but the next match after that that I can remember is us beating dunfermiline 5-1.

One regret is that I have never had a season ticket at Hibs, because I moved to the Isle of Man when I was 6, however I am hopefully coming back to Edinburgh University in September, and I season ticket is definitely a factor of me coming back.... That is devotion! :notworthy:

ArabHibee
13-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I wa never really "into" football when I was young - I enjoyed playing it, but the thought of supporting a team or watching it on TV just never enticed me......

As I moved to Dundee for University, I got a season ticket for Tannadice whilst in my second year. £80 for a year's SPL football seemed like good value. I enjoyed seeing live football again, but wasn't attached to the Arabs. I knew too many ********s who supported them, so the association wasn't great :wink:

:grr: Oi! What are you trying to infer? :grr:

thebakerboy
13-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Think I've said most of this before on here but my old man settled in Edinburgh after the war , he was from Invernesshire and mum came from Gretna so no great football history. Some workmates persuaded him to go along to football on Saturdays 1 week PBS other week ER (as people did then) but as this was in the late 40's and the Famous Five were supreme the die was cast. So was taken along on regular visits from 1951 , so I was there in a league winning season, but when I was about 11 Joe Baker came along and I became a diehard and have loved every minute of it .:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Libby Hibby
13-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Grandad moved up from Carlisle to work on the Railways. He lived in a house in Joppa with his aunt. Back in the days when he went to footbal it was quite common to watch Hibs one week, Hearts the next...

One game watching the Hearts, the heavens opened, he got soaked
Wating for the Bus back to town, he got soaked
Waiting for the bus back to Portobello, he got soaked
Walking back from Portobello to Joppa, he got soaked

From that day, he vowed never to go back to Tyncastle and only support Hibs...Thank Goodness he lived in the East rather than the West...He then passed his Hibsness on to my dad and him on to me, my mum and Sister

GGTTH :thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
13-05-2010, 08:15 PM
My old man brought me up a Hibby..........never forgiven the ****!! :grr:

Ryan69
13-05-2010, 08:25 PM
My Great Great grandfather was one of the founders,my family before my dad were from Ireland.....so Hibs was obvious!
Had a little second thought at the age of 7,and decided I was going to support Rangers,but as soon as my old man found out he threatened to put me in the bin and that was that!

Proud tobe a Hibs fan,and will be until I die! :notworthy:

Ireallywasthere
13-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Dad took me to my fist game which was that glorious Hearts Kilmarnock league decider. He was a Hibby but his brothers were jambo's. Then took me to Easter Road and I grew up watching the Tornado's - absolutely no choice after that !!!!

Black Kyle
13-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I was taken to ER one week by my uncle and Tynie the next my old man. Then Hibs played Hearts at Tynie in the Scottish Cup around 1971 beating them 2-1 iirc, and that as they say was that.

IWasThere2016
13-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Pat Stanton :not worth Poetry in motion :agree:

SteveHFC
13-05-2010, 08:55 PM
From the first minute i was born my dad made me a hibs fan.:thumbsup:Thanks Dad

hibee4life1983
13-05-2010, 09:02 PM
My dad really, plus the hulk like green blood coursing through my veins after growing up in wester hailes with all the one eyed tynie trumpets u could ever have nightmares about! Cant remember my first game, i was three! My good friend and .netter NUMBER 10 went to a few games together when we wer old enough(8/9), i remember after 93' (rangers cup final inparticular) season my dad decided he had had enough (some people do learn.lol) so i had to find new hibs m8s to go to easter road. Stu, pictured, is as hibs daft as me and weve had STs since 97/98. . . . . , . . , . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . There in lies the meat and gravy of the story, we were hooked even though The yams win the s.c and we got relegated that season, still proud and wouldnt change a thing for all the world.
GG.

Big_D
13-05-2010, 09:28 PM
I moved up to Glenrothes in 1972 and started hanging about with 2 brothers (one Hibs , One Hearts) I started going to ER with the Hibby brother until he left to work in South Africa and i never heard from him again.
A year or so back a guy started work in the factory i'm in and there was something familiar about him , turns out its the younger brother . I of course asked after his big bro and tells me he was now back in Scotland (Glasgow) and was a season ticket holder........

...............At bloody IBROX.
It fair ruined my day i tell you :grr:

Alex Trager
13-05-2010, 09:47 PM
about five years ago i was a hun,-before that (8 yrs ago) i was a hibee- then slowly grew up and off football, but can remembr my last game really as a hun at E.R. when hibs wanted rangers to win so they got a place and hearts never, so i was happy -secretly- whatever the result, but i grew ou of football and can only remember one very cold night walking over the bridge-don't know why i was going-and i'm sure it was to watch a game in the terracing and can distinctly remember the four nil aberdeen gam at e.r. and the day i more or less became a hibee when jones'y headered in a beauty aginst hearts and when the final whislte blew i was jumping up on the metal fence closest to the away fans screaming my lungs out and 'getting it right up them' i then attended most games in the terracing that year and then got a season ticket....

and then deek(<<<<<<) came back and i wondered what all the fuss was about and couldn't care cos he was 'ok and a bit of a knob' and then the passion he had fell on me like a ton of bricks and then that night came(although i was allready sworn by hibs)....

the night i'd have paid someone to take my ticket in the roseburn end...
i went into the roseburn pub and had a great intro to the night then we got to half time, nil-nil, then he was on the break and he fell in the box, he stepped up and slipped it past him and he ran past all of them and kissed his badge and then my LOVE for Derek Riordan was born

sleeping giant
13-05-2010, 09:48 PM
I blame my Dad :grr:

Sitting listening to his drunken stories about running for his life through daffodils to escape the hun after a game at ibrox:greengrin

El Gubbz
13-05-2010, 09:59 PM
about five years ago i was a hun,-before that (8 yrs ago) i was a hibee- then slowly grew up and off football, but can remembr my last game really as a hun at E.R. when hibs wanted rangers to win so they got a place and hearts never, so i was happy -secretly- whatever the result, but i grew ou of football and can only remember one very cold night walking over the bridge-don't know why i was going-and i'm sure it was to watch a game in the terracing and can distinctly remember the four nil aberdeen gam at e.r. and the day i more or less became a hibee when jones'y headered in a beauty aginst hearts and when the final whislte blew i was jumping up on the metal fence closest to the away fans screaming my lungs out and 'getting it right up them' i then attended most games in the terracing that year and then got a season ticket....

and then deek(<<<<<<) came back and i wondered what all the fuss was about and couldn't care cos he was 'ok and a bit of a knob' and then the passion he had fell on me like a ton of bricks and then that night came(although i was allready sworn by hibs)....

the night i'd have paid someone to take my ticket in the roseburn end...
i went into the roseburn pub and had a great intro to the night then we got to half time, nil-nil, then he was on the break and he fell in the box, he stepped up and slipped it past him and he ran past all of them and kissed his badge and then my LOVE for Derek Riordan was born

Deeks s**t...:offski::greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
13-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Born in Edinburgh and lived for the most part in Leith until I was 9 and moved to the Borders then. From 7 years old until May 1975 I was a Celtic fan ( it started when they won the European cup )

From the minute the final whistle blew in the 1975 cup final ( Celtic 3 Airdrie 1 ) I just knew I had no business supporting a team I had nothing really to do with and that I was from Edinburgh ( and proud of it ) so I should be supporting an Edinburgh team.

I went to Leith Links primary and had vague memories of being a Hibs supporter before the Celtic thing started, so Hibs it was.

My pals dad took me and him to my first game which may have been in 1975 But the first game I remember going to was in 1976 Hibs 1 Dundee Utd 2. Hamish McAlpine the Utd keeper scored a penalty.

Like a lot of folk I was awe struck getting to the top of the old terracing and seeing the pitch laid out miles below me, what a great sight it was.

I have never looked back and have loved every minute the odd relegation and semi and cup final disasters not withstanding.

My dad died when I was 9 and as far as I know wasnt into football, in fact I have no family connection with Hibs.

But I have 3 nephews 1 neice and a neice or nephew on the way and if I have my way at least one of them will be made to suffer like I have.

:greengrin

In fact I have already taken one of my nephews to ER. But his dad isnt into football so its going to be hard going

Alex Trager
13-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Deeks s**t...:offski::greengrin
thats a lie infact i'm going to get a Wnks thoughts on this mr reily...

1two
13-05-2010, 10:09 PM
thats a lie infact i'm going to get a Wnks thoughts on this mr reily...
....... Wtf?

Biff Tannen
13-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Some quality posts! Hibees Till I Die:notworthy:

Ed De Gramo
13-05-2010, 10:12 PM
My Grandad supported Hibs, my dad supports Hibs and I support Hibs :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Alex Trager
13-05-2010, 10:22 PM
....... Wtf?
private joke

DH1875
13-05-2010, 10:31 PM
Me, I'm just lucky I suppose. Lived in Blackpool as a kid from the ages of 5 till 14. Old mah was a steward at their games so followed them. We moved up to glasgow and it was looking like a choice between the ugly sisters. Mums side are all tims and dads are all huns. Then I had the strangist bit of luck. Bloke at my dads work had a couple of spare tickets for a game against the Yams and asked if we wanted to go. We went along and I fell in love. The atmosphere was amazing and I remember thinking to myself I want a piece of this. The next season I got my first season ticket and that was me of and running. (A bargin £30 from what I can remember). Had to pay for it myself cause the fud of a dad wouldn't. He said to me he would get me one for the huns and I told him to ****** off. 18 years later I'M still a hibby, 4 years later he f***ed off. He's now a junkie ******, Im now married, have two great kids (although they seem to think they support celtic) and my own buisness.

And before anyone asks we got humped 2-1 with that wee fat ****** robbo scoring both their goals from what I can remember.

Hibhibhooray
13-05-2010, 10:32 PM
My Mum & Dad were first aiders at Easter Road and on occasion I got to stand pitch side and watch the Hibs and never looked back:greengrin.

Mon the Hibs

down the slope
13-05-2010, 10:46 PM
It was no contest in my case as both sides of my family were died in the wool Hibbies, i know my mums family on her fathers side were from Ireland and i remember tales of my Grandfather taking his old grandfather up to ER so this must have been in the 1890's.-does this make me some sort of Hibernian royalty ?. I remember my old man coming home from ER in the days of the famous five when life seemed to be in black and white but tales of the football seemed to brighten up the weekend with the stories of goals scored so it was no contest i suppose that i was introduced to the Hibernian family and all that it entails. I am old enough to remember the last days of the famous five and the emergence of the Baker boy and on to the Turnbull team and Blackpool Hibs talks of progress ! i will say no more

El Gubbz
14-05-2010, 12:22 AM
My Grandad supported Hibs, my dad supports Hibs and I support Hibs :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ditto:thumbsup:

HH81
14-05-2010, 06:59 AM

Grandad - He was born in Edinburgh but moved down here in the 60's I think.

He was always talking about the famous 5 and how great they were. Took me to the Skol Cup final 91.

I used to go watch Halifax every week as well as supporting hibs however since he died my passion has swiched more to watch Hibs. I can't really get into going to the shay anymore.

HH81
14-05-2010, 07:00 AM

What about your son :greengrin

thefamousfive
14-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Great grandad and his 8 kids came off the boat from Shetland to Leith where then another 2 came and my grandad was born. The old man was never really into football but my grandad made sure I saw the light from a very young age. Also won a spot the ball competition in 1983 where there was 4 signed Hearts balls and 1 Hibs and remember running a boy over to get it. Quality. Still have it.

M11BMO
14-05-2010, 10:03 AM
My Dad wasn't massively into football but nevertheless was a Hertz fan. When he and my Mum divorced I moved upto Mountcastle where my Mum's side of the family were Hibs fans... it was from there I was taken to my first game with my Uncle, Grandad and Cousins (Pre-season friendly against Coventry) and have never looked back since.

:flag:

Bristolhibby
14-05-2010, 11:46 AM
My Granddad was from Leith, and so was a Hibby. My Dad and uncles grew up in The Inch all supporting Hibs.

Dad took me to my first game when I was 7 or 8. Been hooked ever since. I have lived down in England since I was 9, and get to a game every time I come back up to Edinburgh to visit the family.

My son was born in 2008 and although it is a bit of a trek to get up the road I still plan on his first football match being at Easter Road.

Incidentally his name is Hamish Ian Bryce - HIB.

J

surreyhibbie
14-05-2010, 06:58 PM
None of my family were interested in football, but the lad downstairs was a big Hibby and took me to games as I was a wee bit younger than him.

Thanks Pete! :notworthy:

My missus and my two boys were educated from the start!

Diclonius
14-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Born in Longstone and moved to Chapelhall within a year, then to Broughty Ferry and finally wound up in Carnoustie when I was four.

Had zero interest in football for almost my entire childhood - in fact I hated it. Saw no point in a bunch of men kicking a ball around a pitch, and as a result I'm hopeless at the game itself, and probably will be my whole life. My Dad was from Cumbernauld and a Celtic fan so naturally I was raised to sympathise with - even consider myself a 'fan' of - the club.

I reluctantly attended a football game when I was 13 with my Dad and his mates near the end of the 04/05 season - Dundee Utd vs Dunfermline I think it was - which the home team lost 0-1. Against every predetermined will in my body I found the game - the atmosphere in particular - incredible, and decided I was gunna take a bigger interest in football from then on.

I'm a thinker by nature so decided not to support a team that always wins - thus casting off my affilation with Celtic. I was born in Edinburgh and considered home ties very important - and upon asking my Dad about Edinburgh teams, went with the first answer he gave me - Hearts. :jamboak:

Luckily, after doing some research of my own, and finding Hearts were top of the league and deciding I didn't want to be seen as a fairweather fan, I went with the other Edinburgh club - Hibs, a love affair which has continued for the five years since.

I attended two games in my first season as a Hibby - THAT semi final and the 1-2 defeat at home to Rangers. In my second season I went to a couple more, and started to get more and more into it. Got a half season ticket at the start of 07-08 and have never looked back - now I try and go to as many games as my money can buy me.

I now despise the Old Firm in equal measure, and have even converted my father to Easter Road.

One thing that really gets to me is that if I had found out how near Longstone was to Tynecastle in the early days, I probably would have ended up sticking with the Jambos. I'm glad I made the right decision though, as on closer inspection Hibs as a whole is a far more righteous and less pretentious club, that has a solid foundation and an eye on the future.

Plus, the way a certain section of Hearts supporters pride themselves on being 'mini-Huns' - especially some of their fans rampant anti-Catholicism, as I am a Catholic - gets to me, and I would have found being a Jambo excruciating. Thankfully I now hate them as much as any Hibs fan should.

'Mon the Hibs. :notworthy:

Pedantic_Hibee
14-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Me, I'm just lucky I suppose. Lived in Blackpool as a kid from the ages of 5 till 14. Old mah was a steward at their games so followed them. We moved up to glasgow and it was looking like a choice between the ugly sisters. Mums side are all tims and dads are all huns. Then I had the strangist bit of luck. Bloke at my dads work had a couple of spare tickets for a game against the Yams and asked if we wanted to go. We went along and I fell in love. The atmosphere was amazing and I remember thinking to myself I want a piece of this. The next season I got my first season ticket and that was me of and running. (A bargin £30 from what I can remember). Had to pay for it myself cause the fud of a dad wouldn't. He said to me he would get me one for the huns and I told him to ****** off. 18 years later I'M still a hibby, 4 years later he f***ed off. He's now a junkie ******, Im now married, have two great kids (although they seem to think they support celtic) and my own buisness.

And before anyone asks we got humped 2-1 with that wee fat ****** robbo scoring both their goals from what I can remember.

My favourite post in this thread. :top marks

DH1875
14-05-2010, 08:22 PM
My favourite post in this thread. :top marks

Well I thank you very much:thumbsup:.

Fish
14-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Dad's family are all Jambo's through and through. In order to indoctorate my brother and myself the old geezer took us to an Edinburgh derby in 1978 at Tynecastle. Can't remember the score but I have been the blck sheep of the family every since.

NAE NOOKIE
14-05-2010, 09:18 PM
The great thing about this thread is to see the number of folk who managed to ignore Old Firm pressure from relatives & family to support the Hibees, or even better, folk like me who were seduced by the dark side but managed to break free into the light.

There IS hope !!!

:thumbsup:

PatHead
14-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Come from a family of 7 sons (1 died in infancy) and they all support Dundee Utd courtesy of my Dundee born grandad. Always have been an awkward b&st+rd and supported Hibs for as long as I can remember. Probably because of Turnbulls Tornadoes and my friends being Hibees. Strange thing is my Grandmas side were involved in setting up Hibs and her Uncle Mike was Hibs first captain. Seemingly the Scottish Cup was kept on his windowstill in the Grassmarket the night we won it for the first time.

By the way brothers are off to Hampden tomorrow. Just wish iy was me!

hibsfan7
15-05-2010, 05:52 AM
my dad was a rangers fan and i followed suit
2 of my brothers 4 were hibs fans

they sat me down one day a bribed me with a packet of sweeties
they promised to take me to see hibs which they never did
so that is how i became a hibby?

i was only 8 at the time

murraymckirdy
24-05-2010, 01:46 PM

couldny have said it better myself:top marks
exactly the same for me:thumbsup:

BullbreedHFC
24-05-2010, 05:24 PM
my dad and all his family were hibbys, my mums were jambos :bitchy: was taken to Easter Rd as a bairn :agree: loved it (it was the early 70s) great times :greengrin

magnificent_seven
24-05-2010, 05:35 PM
My stepdad's uncle was a member of the famous five and he started taking me to the games when I was about 3, much to the dismay of my Celtic supporting dad!
He tried his hardest to convert me to a Celtic fan growing up but it just never happened! :thumbsup:

hibbie02
24-05-2010, 06:15 PM
I became a Hibbie in spite of my family (Yams to a man and woman). They moved to Windsor Street when I was 3 and I was brought up hearing the roar from ER when Hibs scored. How could I not support my local team, when I could hear the Tornadoes score from my bedroom. Couldnae wait to get along there to see the team in the Green!!!

Billy McKirdy
24-05-2010, 06:57 PM
My Dad was a lifelong Hibby, He played cards with Ned & Willie Ormond regularly in the 50s and knew them quite well, I remember him introducing me to Ormond & John Fraser when I was about 7.
On the night I was born in the Eastern General hospital my old man was 2 miles away at Easter Road watching Hibs beat Valencia 2-0 in the Fairs Cup.:faf:
My first Hibs game? A reserve fixture against Aberdeen at Easter Road in the old main stand, I remermber my Dad telling me that Pat Stanton was playing.
The first game I remember going to myself was the 3-2 UEFA cup evening match against Norkopping in 1978, I remember getting a help up the wall on a handily placed plank by a friendly policeman :greengrin,
there was never any danger I was going to support any other team, even from my back window at Piershill you could hear the roar of the crowd on matchdays.
Im Hibees till I die :notworthy::notworthy::thumbsup:

Billy McKirdy
24-05-2010, 07:02 PM
couldny have said it better myself:top marks
exactly the same for me:thumbsup:

no really Hibs related murray but you got the same surname as me :thumbsup:
theres not that many of us aboot ye know, in these parts anyway :greengrin

JohnnyHibby
24-05-2010, 08:52 PM
My dad was a Jambo and was there when they won the Scottish Cup in the 50's.....

Anyway he immigrated to Canada and then returned a few years later with my mother (his wife) and me.

He started taking my mum and I when I was old enough to games...1 week Tynecastle and 1 week Easter Road.....This was the time of Stanton, Blackley, Gordon, Orouke et all and he decided the football was much better at Easter Road and we became season ticket holders and forgot the Hearts.

I am now a father of 2 boys and they are Hibby's, told them they had no choice but to be Hibby's......

Best decision my Dad made.........

heidtheba
24-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Wasn't interested in football at all at school. Played footie in the playground and collected stickers only cos everyone else did (didn't understand what a 'cap' was until I was 19 - and I mean the football version...). Cheered on Kenny Dalglish in the World Cup when I was in p7 in 86...didn't realise until I became interested in football that KD didn't play in that Cup!
Mate at Moray House took me to see Hibs v Rangers in January 93 and I loved it. Did think that it was 'sporting' to clap the Rangers goals as well as ours...well, the first one before a few 'football match etiquette' rules were made VERY clear. We lost 3-4 but I was hooked. Got my first season ticket in 94/95 and another in 95/96 didn't attend much after 2001 due to commitments and a rugby supporting Kiwi wife but I'm trying to drag her to a game or two this year.
Parents aren't into football - dad even calls it 'soccer' but his family support Rangers and my mums dad liked Hearts...
scary huh!

we are hibs
24-05-2010, 09:00 PM
dunno after we won the cup agianst dunfermline i suposse been to three cup finals since then celtic-2001
livi - 2003
killie - 07 heaven