PDA

View Full Version : Where’s your ambition boys and girls?

Jack
12-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Just about everybody is saying the SPL is ***** and crap and :blah: :blah: :blah:

But when 99% of the transfers to Hibs are being talked about its players from this league that are being discussed; or ex-Hibs players; or players that have gone down south [recently] and failed!

Get yur heids oot yur bums :greengrin

If we want better football at ER we’ll have to look further, a bit like what John Collins did but with a bit Euro in Yogi’s pocket.

Players who, like our own homebred stars, are the products, albeit not the best ones obviously, of the top clubs in Europe – like Ajax and yon French one Thicot was at.

Forget Arfield, Hart and all the other players that make our league *****e

Scottish teams get pumped on a regular basis in the Europa and the CL every season – these Eurofiles can play – lets getting them playing for us! Lets not kid ourselves that their style of football couldn’t compete against SPL teams.

Lets go Euro! :agree:

Yogi, get your passport out! :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
12-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Just about everybody is saying the SPL is ***** and crap and :blah: :blah: :blah:

But when 99% of the transfers to Hibs are being talked about its players from this league that are being discussed; or ex-Hibs players; or players that have gone down south [recently] and failed!

If we want better football at ER we’ll have to look further, a bit like what John Collins did but with a bit Euro in Yogi’s pocket.

Players who, like our own homebred stars, are the products, albeit not the best ones obviously, of the top clubs in Europe – like Ajax and yon French one Thicot was at.

Scottish teams get pumped on a regular basis in the Europa and the CL every season – these Eurofiles can play – lets getting them playing for us! Lets not kid ourselves that their style of football couldn’t compete against SPL teams.

I think we'd struggle to sign anyone from Ajax. Look at where the best products of their production line end up: Liverpool, Milan, Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona.

I agree that there could be mileage in spending a bit of cash on the continent, but the current rate for the Euro wouldn't do us any favours.

DirtyDeeds
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
I think we'd struggle to sign anyone from Ajax. Look at where the best products of their production line end up: Liverpool, Milan, Madrid, Bayern Munich, Barcelona.

I agree that there could be mileage in spending a bit of cash on the continent, but the current rate for the Euro wouldn't do us any favours.

I dont think the OP was suggesting we try to sign up the cream from these clubs, but their youth cast offs are more than sufficient to be able to technically survive in our league. With regards to matching technique with physicality, how about we cast our eye to our friends up at Tannadice....

Dusan Pernis - Man Utd
Francisco Sandaza - Valencia
Danny Cadamarteri - Everton
Prince Buaben - Ajax
Morgaro Gomis - Montpellier/Chelsea
Mihael Kovacevic - Dinamo Zagreb
Andis Shala - Hannover 96

The clubs listed are the youth systems these players came through. Apart from Shala and perhaps Sandaza, theyd all get into our first team quite comfortably i think. If its good enough for United to go down this round, and theyve actually shown the ability to spot talent, why cant we??? Lets not forget, they just finished above us in the league quite comfortably and are probably about to lift their 2nd Scottish Cup in 15 years.

Time to think outside the box, guys from abroad can run as much as Rankin and tackle as hard as Cregg but still dont look like theyre holding a grenade when the balls at their feet. Its worked with Sheils and Murphy in th past.

God Petrie
12-05-2010, 05:46 PM
Hibs have had many players who have previously played at top european clubs so I'm not sure what the point here is.

Just off the top of my head we have had Sheils, Galbraith, Stokes and Miller who have all played at top EPL clubs.

Hibbyradge
12-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Bar all non Scottish players from signing for teams in the SPL for 5 years. That would help Scottish football in the long term.

DirtyDeeds
12-05-2010, 05:53 PM
Im saying we arent utilising this opportunity enough. Those 4 may all have their own qualities but they either lack great technique or have poor attitudes towards living the lifestyle. I think we can get guys like Buaben and Gomis, give the opportunity to prove themselves again, theyd have much more hunger than the guys we've been picking up from other Scottish clubs. Hunger and desire is what we truly lacked since Jan/Reb in my opinion. Cregg and Rankin had the hunger but didnt bring enough quality. We can surely find this by casting our net a bit wider.

NAE NOOKIE
12-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Damn it man. How dare you suggest that Johnny foreigner is better than our stout lads.

Name me one damned Frenchie who has ever done a job for us.

Blast yer eyes :grr:

:greengrin

seanraff07
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Hibs have had many players who have previously played at top european clubs so I'm not sure what the point here is.

Just off the top of my head we have had Sheils, Galbraith, Stokes and Miller who have all played at top EPL clubs.

Mikey Stewart.:faf:

Diclonius
12-05-2010, 05:58 PM
I dont think the OP was suggesting we try to sign up the cream from these clubs, but their youth cast offs are more than sufficient to be able to technically survive in our league. With regards to matching technique with physicality, how about we cast our eye to our friends up at Tannadice....

Dusan Pernis - Man Utd
Francisco Sandaza - Valencia
Danny Cadamarteri - Everton
Prince Buaben - Ajax
Morgaro Gomis - Montpellier/Chelsea
Mihael Kovacevic - Dinamo Zagreb
Andis Shala - Hannover 96

The clubs listed are the youth systems these players came through. Apart from Shala and perhaps Sandaza, theyd all get into our first team quite comfortably i think. If its good enough for United to go down this round, and theyve actually shown the ability to spot talent, why cant we??? Lets not forget, they just finished above us in the league quite comfortably and are probably about to lift their 2nd Scottish Cup in 15 years.

Time to think outside the box, guys from abroad can run as much as Rankin and tackle as hard as Cregg but still dont look like theyre holding a grenade when the balls at their feet. Its worked with Sheils and Murphy in th past.

Ours are much the same.

Graham Stack - Arsenal
Patrick Cregg - Arsenal
John Rankin - Man Utd
Kevin McBride - Celtic
Anthony Stokes - Arsenal
Danny Galbraith - Man Utd
David Wotherspoon - Celtic
Sol Bamba - PSG
Mark Brown - Rangers
Yves Ma-Kalambay - PSV/Chelsea

Your youth team rarely shows where you're gonna end up, it's what you do as a professional IMO.

Broken Gnome
12-05-2010, 06:16 PM
On the contrary, I think we dismiss most potential signings far too easily. There's every chance those touted from Carlisle or Leyton Orient would turn into great signings.

Case in point - if we were linked with Charlie Adam during his time at Rangers, many would've thought 'no chance, he's a gash hun *******'. Then during the first leg of the play-off, I could've sworn I heard Ian darke say Charlie Adam was 'too good for the Championship'.

Put any half decent player in the right surroundings and he'll more that do a job.

Jonnyboy
12-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Bar all non Scottish players from signing for teams in the SPL for 5 years. That would help Scottish football in the long term.

Not sure I'd go that far D but I'm with you to a great degree on this one. Restrict SPL clubs to a maximum of four foreign born players each and that means the majority in each side will be Scottish. Now I'm pretty sure folk will argue that there aren't enough decent Scottish players around but to them I'd say, ask yourself this ............ why develop your own talent at youth level and then fill your team with foreigners? The only way our game will improve and enhance the standard in Scotland is to coach our most talented youngsters.

The abolition of the reserve league was criminal IMO. Very few players can jump straight from U19 to full team status but once they've passed the age restriction for playing at 19's how do they continue to develop as players? Sure we can loan a few out but the majority will be kicking their heels - players like Kurtis Byrne for example.

Never intended for this to become a rant - sorry :greengrin

The_Sauz
12-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Damn it man. How dare you suggest that Johnny foreigner is better than our stout lads.

Name me one damned Frenchie who has ever done a job for us.

Blast yer eyes :grr:

:greengrin

Boozy
Freddie A

Oh and old git called Franck
:fishin:

NAE NOOKIE
12-05-2010, 09:53 PM
Boozy
Freddie A

Oh and old git called Franck
:fishin:

The trouble with being sarcastic is that its bloomin well wasted when you have to explain that you are being sarcastic

:bitchy:

heidtheba
12-05-2010, 09:58 PM
On the contrary, I think we dismiss most potential signings far too easily. There's every chance those touted from Carlisle or Leyton Orient would turn into great signings.

Case in point - if we were linked with Charlie Adam during his time at Rangers, many would've thought 'no chance, he's a gash hun *******'. Then during the first leg of the play-off, I could've sworn I heard Ian darke say Charlie Adam was 'too good for the Championship'.

Put any half decent player in the right surroundings and he'll more that do a job.

...or those from Crewe Alexandra. In my Hibs dream squad, including backroom staff, I'd have Dario Gradi as youth development grand fromage

Jack
13-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I think one or two are missing the gist of my post.

I’m not suggesting we ignore our own starlets from East Mains, or suggesting we dump all the Scots [or GB players].

I think bringing in talent from the continent would stimulate our football - blending in with, rather than taking over. The two sides (if you want to call them that) complimenting each other, learning from each other.

Look at the exciting players in the SPL. How many of them were home bred? Look how many clubs have a Zemmama that provides the closest they have to anything resembling a skillful player in their ranks. Look how poised the footballer known as Thicot is compared with most of the other SPL hoofball hatchet defenders.

I honestly think the Largs effect has had a huge detrimental effect on Scottish football as its produced a conveyor belt of sameness in our coaches and consequently down to our players.

We’ve become stagnant, bland, with our almost incestuous systems of coaching and ‘tactics’ to the point where everything cancels out everything else.

We need new blood or the gene pool with shrink even further.

Another fanciful thought :greengrin, which I briefly mentioned on an other subject on the Bounce the other day, was what Deportivo La Corunna did a few years back.

They brought in 4 or 5 South Americans as a group. Put them in the equivalent of a Deportivo La Corunna Village with their families and even their extended families. They quickly settled down and boy did they help in making Deportivo La Corunna a name throughout Europe. I doubt anyone here would have known about Deportivo La Corunna had they remained the pretty crappy second division club they were when I first saw them – no they really were sh… . :faf:

Deportivo La Corunna aren't/weren’t that much bigger than we are but went on a multi season run in the Champions and Europa Leagues that included beating some heavyweights like Man Utd. home and away.

How good would that be? :thumbsup:

The South Americans legacy lasted longer than their original stay but TBH is somewhat fading now, infact although now an established Primera Division they were pretty mince this season.

Ritchie
13-05-2010, 12:17 PM
The trouble with being sarcastic is that its bloomin well wasted when you have to explain that you are being sarcastic

:bitchy:

:tee hee:

KWJ
13-05-2010, 01:29 PM
I don't think the quality of football in the SPL is as bad as we think and I'm with Craig Levein that we need to start talking up our own game and start believing in it ourselves for that to start happening. First thing required would be getting rid of the split. While I've grown to agree that it does add to the competitiveness of the league and the excitement it is still an abomonation. It's embarrassing and a cringe to try and explain to foriegners and it simply looks ridiculous.

More and more Scottish players are succeeding down south so we must be doing something right. There are more Scottish players playing in our top flight than 10-15 years ago, including the Old Firm. Excluding this season the OF have been doing pretty well in Europe of late.

Get rid of the split, add a few more teams, get behind our teams, give us a league to be proud off.