PDA

View Full Version : Who will be next season's David Wotherspoon?

sunshine1875
12-05-2010, 03:19 PM
This season David Wotherspoon was promoted from the u-19s and became an exciting fixture in the first team.

Who from the current youngsters can we expect to see more of next season featuring in the first team? This can also include the others from last seasons u19s who were promoted, but rarely seen, if at all, in the first team.

HibbyKeith
12-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Scott Taggart & Callum booth will both have a decent chance of getting first team football next season,

would like to see more of Sean Welsh next season though.

Andy74
12-05-2010, 03:27 PM
This season David Wotherspoon was promoted from the u-19s and became an exciting fixture in the first team.

Who from the current youngsters can we expect to see more of next season featuring in the first team? This can also include the others from last seasons u19s who were promoted, but rarely seen, if at all, in the first team.

I think we should concentrate on getting the current ones, Wotherspoon and Hanlon up to the required level for a full season.

I can't see Byrne making an impression with our front men and I'm not sure the others kicking around from that team are good enough.

Booth might come into contention as left back cover?

RIP
12-05-2010, 03:33 PM
I'd like to see Sean and Callum on the bench and tried out where we are winning comfortably

Oh.wait........

CallumLaidlaw
12-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Sean Welsh is the one that was being raved about until he had injury problems. Lets hope he can come in more next season. I expect Hanlon to be a regular starter next season. Him beside Bamba would be perfect, but hopefully if sol goes, then we can bring in an equally dominant player

Lofarl
12-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I'd like to see a bit more of galbraith and taggart this season. Plus I'd like to see Spoony improve his game. He look like he can be a great player given time and support.

.Sean.
12-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Boothy, as it would hopefully mean comps for away games!! :greengrin

PC Stamp
12-05-2010, 04:16 PM

After spending a good part of the season on loan at Arbroath to toughen him up, I don't think Boothy will be far away from the first team next season.
Ticks all the boxes for what Yogi is looking for in a full back. Defensively aware, tall, pacy and likes to get forward whenever possible. :thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
12-05-2010, 06:24 PM
After spending a good part of the season on loan at Arbroath to toughen him up, I don't think Boothy will be far away from the first team next season.
Ticks all the boxes for what Yogi is looking for in a full back. Defensively aware, tall, pacy and likes to get forward whenever possible. :thumbsup:

He'll do for me :agree:

Means Murray could play the holding midfielder role too

IWasThere2016
12-05-2010, 06:31 PM

You missed - good touch, can pass and composed. I should be the boy's agent :greengrin

DirtyDeeds
12-05-2010, 06:33 PM
He'll do for me :agree:

Means Murray could play the holding midfielder role too

Im not convinced by everyones fascination with Murray in midfield. I think he's looking less and less mobile with each game, born torn apart by Templeton and O'Brien lately. Genuinely think the game would pass him by there with the pace the game goes at now. He has every other attribute you could want in a Hibs player, unfortunately i dont think his knees are playing ball with him anymore.

bingo70
12-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Im not convinced by everyones fascination with Murray in midfield. I think he's looking less and less mobile with each game, born torn apart by Templeton and O'Brien lately. Genuinely think the game would pass him by there with the pace the game goes at now. He has every other attribute you could want in a Hibs player, unfortunately i dont think his knees are playing ball with him anymore.

:agree:

Completely agree, can't remember who it was against but the last time Murray played in midfield he had an absolute nightmare.

I'd rather we signed a midfielder to play in midfield and keep Murray to play at left back, i know he got torn apart recently, i think that could be to do with him playing too many games this season, hopefully the young lad Booth will start to force his way into the team next season to relieve some of the pressure on Murray.

BEEJ
12-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Sean Welsh is the one that was being raved about until he had injury problems. Lets hope he can come in more next season. I expect Hanlon to be a regular starter next season. Him beside Bamba would be perfect, but hopefully if sol goes, then we can bring in an equally dominant player
And we can't forget Ewan Moyes who returns to the first-team squad next season after 25 games+ this season with Livingston and then Arbroath.

In fact, are Booth and Moyes not playing for Arbroath tonight in the play-offs?

Barney McGrew
12-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I'd agree with the names already mentioned - Booth is a stick on to play first team next year, with both Taggart and Welsh not far behind if they continue to develop as they're expected to.

IMO, Welsh would have been involved already if he hadn't had his injury.

HibeeMcGinn1
12-05-2010, 07:15 PM

:devil: :faf::faf:

And we can't forget Ewan Moyes who returns to the first-team squad next season after 25 games+ this season with Livingston and then Arbroath.

they are aye, got moyes at centre half and boothy left mid (shows hes attacking aswell)

brydekirk
12-05-2010, 07:18 PM

IF we had a RB you would not have seen much of DW either .

KingFranck
12-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Saw enough of Callum Booth for U19s to know he's going to be the next David Murphy and future Scotland full back

Franck is God
12-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Booth and Moyes at the back for me could get a chance although with Hanlon likely to be first choice along side Hogg when Bamba goes I can't see Yogi using two 20 year olds as our centre half pairing unless he has no other choice.

liked what I saw of Welsh for the under 19s, think he has really suffered with the lack of a reserve league this season, midfielders need to play competitive games every week to stay sharp and push for a first team place.

Haven't seen Taggart play before so not in a position to comment about his chances.

Could be an interesting summer for Byrne and Galbraith, if they both work hard and impress pre-season it could give Yogi a selection head-ache for the beginning of the new league season.

magnificent_seven
12-05-2010, 10:24 PM
IF we had a RB you would not have seen much of DW either .

Nonsense. One of the best midfielders we have going forward. He would have been accomodated, even if we had a steady first choice Right Back.

BEEJ
12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Of the six U-19s promoted to the first team squad this time last season no-one has yet mentioned on this thread either Currie or Flynn.

The EEN the other day listed Lee Currie as a member of the squad who's contract expires this season. That would make his situation different from the other five U-19s in the group who, I understood were given two year contracts. Anyone confirm this or have the EEN got it wrong again? :dunno:

And was Flynn out on loan somewhere for the last few months of the season? If so, where was he and how did he fare in terms of appearances?

Mibbes Aye
12-05-2010, 11:00 PM

TBH I think we shouldn't expect any newly-promoted player to perform like Wotherspoon has. Great if they do, it's a bonus. Every so often, special players come along who just manage that transition seamlessly, or with minimal or only moderate difficulty.

Most don't however. Many never make it and disappear out of the game but for those who do, it's usually a gradual progression, a game of patience.

Many good points made on this thread already. Hanlon in particular is a good example - probably regarded as the pick of his peer group and promoted earlier accordingly. IIRC Mixu blooded him towards the end of 07-08 and he played well. He didn't feature much the following season and I think it showed when he was picked but he has had more match time under Hughes. He's potentially a very decent player but it's not an instant step-up.

Having said all that, if we don't go for an LB in the summer then it's easy to see Booth getting a taste of the action. I don't think anyone who has seen him can fail to be excited by what a prospect he is for us.

Hibs On Tour
13-05-2010, 08:54 AM
I think we should concentrate on getting the current ones, Wotherspoon and Hanlon up to the required level for a full season.

I can't see Byrne making an impression with our front men and I'm not sure the others kicking around from that team are good enough.

Booth might come into contention as left back cover?

I'd like to see Byrne getting some bench time and coming on when we're 'comfy' [if there ever is such a scenario!] to get some experience at the top level. Loans are OK to a degree to build up strength and experience but somewhere down the line he needs to go in at 1st team level...

Leith Green
13-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Of the six U-19s promoted to the first team squad this time last season no-one has yet mentioned on this thread either Currie or Flynn.

The EEN the other day listed Lee Currie as a member of the squad who's contract expires this season. That would make his situation different from the other five U-19s in the group who, I understood were given two year contracts. Anyone confirm this or have the EEN got it wrong again? :dunno:

And was Flynn out on loan somewhere for the last few months of the season? If so, where was he and how did he fare in terms of appearances?

Lee was given a years extension a month or two back.
His new deal runs out next summer, I'd imagine next season are big years foe welsh, currie, byrne to make the breakthrough.

Sergi12
13-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Lee was given a years extension a month or two back.
His new deal runs out next summer, I'd imagine next season are big years foe welsh, currie, byrne to make the breakthrough.

Do you know something Lee doesn't ????

Leith Green
13-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Do you know something Lee doesn't ????

He has signed a year extension mate.

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I would like to see David Wotherspoon being next season's David Wotherspoon. Not being flippant, but what I want to see is him getting a full season [injuries and suspension aside], in his proper and most effective position in the team. No more wasting him at right back. Wee Lewis has more or less had his career at Hibs ruined by being played at the back and I don't want to see that happen to another or our promising midfielders.

Stoney Hibee
13-05-2010, 11:50 AM

I popped down to the game last night - the game was pretty grim to say the least. Booth was at left back and Moyes in the middle of defence.

I may have been a bit biased but the only quality on the field was Booth, whenever he got the ball he was always looking to go forward with it and caused Forfar some problems in the first half especially.

Moyes did nothing wrong but did stand out either. I was not too convinced of him when he had possesion either.

BEEJ
13-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I popped down to the game last night - the game was pretty grim to say the least. Booth was at left back and Moyes in the middle of defence.

I may have been a bit biased but the only quality on the field was Booth, whenever he got the ball he was always looking to go forward with it and caused Forfar some problems in the first half especially.

Moyes did nothing wrong but did stand out either. I was not too convinced of him when he had possesion either.
Thanks for the update. :thumbsup:

The big final / second leg on Sunday then?