PDA

View Full Version : Steven Caldwell

Holmesdale Hibs
12-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Has been released by Burnley. Anyone else think he could do a job for us?

I think he's good enough to make our first team and is someone the younger players could learn from.

Wages would likely be a problem although I know Burnley were alot less generous than other Premiership clubs.

Allant1981
12-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Has been released by Burnley. Anyone else think he could do a job for us?

I think he's good enough to make our first team and is someone the younger players could learn from.

Wages would likely be a problem although I know Burnley were alot less generous than other Premiership clubs.

i reckon he was prob "only" getting about 5k per week which i think hibs could afford. I'd take him at ER

M11BMO
12-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Take him in a heartbeat at ER.

I'd imagine it'll be one of these: "He'll probably end up at a Championship club who can offer higher wages... :blah:"

seanraff07
12-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I think Hibs would be willing to pay around £4-5k and i think Caldwell would be willing to accept they wages. Especially as it would probably guarantee him first-team football.

H18SScottW
12-05-2010, 12:27 PM
:no way: Too like his brother for me :brickwall

Poor judgement/decision-making. Saw Burnley play pre-season at Morecambe In Fletchers debut and SC went chasing stuff he should've left well alone and at other times seemed oblivious to what was going on round about him. Didn't see much in their Premiership matches to alter my opinion.

Kalvanus (sp?) the ex-Dundee Utd full back played that pre-season game too and he was far more of a player IMHO.

PeterboroHibee
12-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Bit out of his depth in the Premiership but think he would be a great signing for an SPL club.

Dont know if he would be interested in that sort of move though.

Judas Iscariot
12-05-2010, 12:29 PM
I think Hibs would be willing to pay around £4-5k and i think Caldwell would be willing to accept they wages. Especially as it would probably guarantee him first-team football.

Based on?

seanraff07
12-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Based on?

His experience would be a big factor to his game, more than any other player in our team, arguably Miller.

seanraff07
12-05-2010, 12:31 PM
:no way: Too like his brother for me :brickwall

Poor judgement/decision-making. Saw Burnley play pre-season at Morecambe In Fletchers debut and SC went chasing stuff he should've left well alone and at other times seemed oblivious to what was going on round about him. Didn't see much in their Premiership matches to alter my opinion.

Kalvanus (sp?) the ex-Dundee Utd full back played that pre-season game too and he was far more of a player IMHO.

Yep Kalvenes was a decent player at Burnley although i haven't seen him playing for Burnley much recently, is he injured or just out of favour?

Andy74
12-05-2010, 12:35 PM
He'd undoubtedly be a good signing but there's next to no chance he'd be interested.

M8UDB
12-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I hate both the Caldwell brothers for some reason but i think he could do a job at Hibs and maybe i would start to like him a bit better. Cant see him joining us tho.

Judas Iscariot
12-05-2010, 12:49 PM
His experience would be a big factor to his game, more than any other player in our team, arguably Miller.

What do you base your wage figure on?

Allant1981
12-05-2010, 12:52 PM

im pretty certain that caldwell is only on about 5-6k per week so i reckon he would be looking for at least that

seanraff07
12-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Well i'm asuming players like Miller and Stokes will already be earning wages around this each week otherwise i don't think they would have came. Also did Fletcher not get a wage rise to something like £7k a week a couple of years ago?

Dashing Bob S
12-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Wages would indeed be a problem if I had anything to with it. I'd resent paying a farthing to another walking disaster.

basehibby
12-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Given that his more highly rated brother Gary was christened "Captain Calamity" by the fans when he was at ER (and with some justification - even if he was good for us overall) I would doubt if it would be money well spent. I would hope players more suited to our needs can be found elsewhere at more reasonable cost - like this guy Keogh at Carlise for example?!?

brog
12-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Nicky Weaver also released! Now he's someone I would take!

Allant1981
12-05-2010, 02:41 PM

He didnt last very long, would have prob been better off staying with utd until the summer

PeterboroHibee
12-05-2010, 03:00 PM
He didnt last very long, would have prob been better off staying with utd until the summer

He was only a 6 month deal because they had Pernis coming in. Dont think realistically a non-OF SPL could afford him, supposedly took a big wage cut to be at United just to put himself in the shop window.

DH1875
12-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Yip cause that's just what we need. Another bloody keeper.

hibsfan7
12-05-2010, 07:41 PM
no thanks we had enough with his brother

eastmainsmsh
12-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Rather have doumbe back :thumbsup:

seanraff07
12-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Rather have doumbe back :thumbsup:

I may be wrong but is he at MK Dons now?

Hillsidehibby
12-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Pointless thread. I see Ronaldhino is not going to the world cup. Does anyone think he could do a job for us?

H18SScottW
12-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Pointless? It's practically close season, get used to it :greengrin

Maybe Ronaldhino would apply Nicky Weaver's 'shop window' approach and strut his stuff for us for a while ... just until Zemmama got fit again mind you :cool2:

NOLA
12-05-2010, 10:09 PM
wages! a championship club will snap him up.

RoYO!
12-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Would really hope that there will be at least a couple of signings that really make us sit up and take notice, similar to that of miller and stokes.

I remember thinking that we prob wouldn't be able to get stokes even on a loan. So who knows, I wouldn't write anything off

KWJ
13-05-2010, 03:28 AM
Well i'm asuming players like Miller and Stokes will already be earning wages around this each week otherwise i don't think they would have came. Also did Fletcher not get a wage rise to something like £7k a week a couple of years ago?

highly.unlikely.

brog
13-05-2010, 08:45 AM
Yip cause that's just what we need. Another bloody keeper.

We do need a ( proper ) keeper urgently, or have you been hibernating for the last 10 years? :wink:.

brog
13-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Anyone who thinks Steven Caldwell is only on £5-6k a week is I suggest guessing & hoping. I have no inside knowledge of SC but I do know 2 very average Championship players, who escaped relegation on last day, & their wages are into 5 figures. I would estimate SC as being on at least £15k a week. The only way he would come to ER would be to put himself in shop window but as West Brom are already in for him I doubt that will happen.

Holmesdale Hibs
13-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Pointless thread. I see Ronaldhino is not going to the world cup. Does anyone think he could do a job for us?

If this is a pointless thread then you've just given a good example of a pointless post.

We signed Miller and Stokes last season who both came from a better team than Burnley and are arguably ‘higher calibre’ players, particularly in Miller’s case. SC has also just been released and is available on a free transfer so I don't see how its unrealistic. He's hardly Ronaldinho.

I think he's the kind of player we need - an experienced defender who has played a good level and is generally fit most weeks.

H18sry
17-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Off to Wigan apparently http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1278935/Released-defender-Steven-Caldwell-ready-swap-Burnley-Wigan.html

blackpoolhibs
17-05-2010, 10:14 AM
Anyone who thinks Steven Caldwell is only on £5-6k a week is I suggest guessing & hoping. I have no inside knowledge of SC but I do know 2 very average Championship players, who escaped relegation on last day, & their wages are into 5 figures. I would estimate SC as being on at least £15k a week. The only way he would come to ER would be to put himself in shop window but as West Brom are already in for him I doubt that will happen.

I wouldn't think so. Charlie Adams is on £7k a week at blackpool. The top wage earner. When Burnley were in the championship, their top men would be on the same sort of wages. I dont think they were doubled for their season in the top flight. In fact i don't think Fletcher is on that much, and he's their record signing?

Cocaine&Caviar
17-05-2010, 10:43 AM
A Wigan defence consisting of two Caldwell's and a Bramble? Oh dear.

brog
17-05-2010, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't think so. Charlie Adams is on £7k a week at blackpool. The top wage earner. When Burnley were in the championship, their top men would be on the same sort of wages. I dont think they were doubled for their season in the top flight. In fact i don't think Fletcher is on that much, and he's their record signing?

I don't doubt you re Adams but if Blackpool get promoted I'm sure their wages will rise substantially. The reason I used £15k figure for Burnley was I remember an article after they got promoted which was talking about employing a £15k salary cap. I don't know if it happened but I would expect most of their 1st team regulars to be in that ballpark. Burnley's wage bill in last Championship season was £13.4 million, about 2 to 3 times Hibs bill so fits with your thinking re an average salary of £7-£10k pw. at that time. However I'll be surprised if this year's bill doesn't top £20 million.
Anyway, whether £7k or £15k it's far too rich for us & he's off to join his £35k pw :confused: brother at Wigan!

--------
17-05-2010, 05:57 PM

All they need now's a Zibby in goals. :agree:

HibeeMG
17-05-2010, 06:28 PM

If that deal goes through then I'm definitely going to put a wee bet on them going down!

soupy
17-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Hes pash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LancashireHibby
17-05-2010, 07:19 PM
All they need now's a Zibby in goals. :agree:
They conceded enough goals at Spurs and Chelsea with Kirkland and Pollitt in goal, and that's not to mention the clown who had the ironic cheer treatment when he actually managed to catch the ball against Hull...how bad do you want them to be?!

Big Frank
17-05-2010, 07:29 PM
Given that his more highly rated brother Gary was christened "Captain Calamity" by the fans when he was at ER (and with some justification - even if he was good for us overall) I would doubt if it would be money well spent. I would hope players more suited to our needs can be found elsewhere at more reasonable cost - like this guy Keogh at Carlise for example?!?

Talking of calamity, I was utterly amazed that he was suspended twice from the january window to the end of the season at wigan. What a disgrace these english refs are:grr::grr: Don't they know he very rarely got booked whilst playing for Celtc:confused:

It must be an anti scottish thangy, coz barry fud ferguson was also suspended this season whilst playing for Birmingham. Shurely shome mishtake, as he was very, very rarely booked whilst at Rankgers.

These english refs must have a different philosophy when it comes to players who have played for the old firm:confused::confused:

:yawn:

Anyhoo, back on topic... would rather NOT see a caldwell at Hibernian......

seanraff07
18-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Talking of calamity, I was utterly amazed that he was suspended twice from the january window to the end of the season at wigan. What a disgrace these english refs are:grr::grr: Don't they know he very rarely got booked whilst playing for Celtc:confused:

It must be an anti scottish thangy, coz barry fud ferguson was also suspended this season whilst playing for Birmingham. Shurely shome mishtake, as he was very, very rarely booked whilst at Rankgers.

These english refs must have a different philosophy when it comes to players who have played for the old firm:confused::confused:

It's just cause these players got away with everything whilst with the OF but get a shock once their treated the same as every other player in the league is.

--------
18-05-2010, 09:23 AM
They conceded enough goals at Spurs and Chelsea with Kirkland and Pollitt in goal, and that's not to mention the clown who had the ironic cheer treatment when he actually managed to catch the ball against Hull...how bad do you want them to be?!

Well, they COULD sign Alan O'Brien - he'd give them a bit of pace up front....

jacomo
18-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Wages would indeed be a problem if I had anything to with it. I'd resent paying a farthing to another walking disaster.

:agree:

Just don't think S Caldwell is much good, and can't see him busting a gut for Hibs.

Sandy
18-05-2010, 10:19 AM

It's just cause these players got away with everything whilst with the OF but get a shock once their treated the same as every other player in the league is.

:tumble: