PDA

View Full Version : Gus McPherson Sacked

Hibs90
11-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Must say I am a bit surprised! You heard it here first :wink:

Edit: http://www.saintmirren.tv/articles/20100511/club-statement_2233570_2049513

H18sry
11-05-2010, 12:56 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/8675280.stm

M11BMO
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I didn't see that one coming...:confused:

Part/Time Supporter
11-05-2010, 12:58 PM
Differences between him and the board over budgets. MacPherson thought they should have got more money to spend after the ground move, which improved their finances quite a bit. Their board didn't.

Westie1875
11-05-2010, 01:00 PM
Shocked at that, St Mirren for the drop next season?

rainman
11-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Differences between him and the board over budgets. MacPherson thought they should have got more money to spend after the ground move, which improved their finances quite a bit. Their board didn't.

So was he sacked or did he quit? Canny open the bbc link.

Looks like the classic case of the board not realising what they have. First division club punching above their weight.

He'll find another club no problem.

Toaods
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Shocked at that, St Mirren for the drop next season?

hope so, the guy has done a great job on a pitiful budget.

Rivers Cuomo
11-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Shocker.

Dont see how anyone could really take them much further than he did.

Allant1981
11-05-2010, 01:03 PM

Looks like the classic case of the board not realising what they have. First division club punching above their weight.

"The board feel that the relationship had run its course and that the club requires a change of direction."

sounds like he was sacked

Steve20
11-05-2010, 01:04 PM

Kilmarnock maybe, if Calderwood doesn't stay.

Bunter
11-05-2010, 01:05 PM
Couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving. A petulant, whining excuse of a thug.
Despised him ever since a reserve game at ER when one of his players was getting continually skinned by Jamie McCluskey. McPherson's response was to tell his player to, "******ing break his leg then. That'll stop him." Absolute disgrace to hear that coming from a coach to young players.

scoopyboy
11-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Kilmarnock maybe, if Calderwood doesn't stay.

Exactly my thoughts.

Part/Time Supporter
11-05-2010, 01:09 PM

Probably sacked, he's been moaning about it for over a year and they've most likely got fed up of it.

Sir David Gray
11-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Pretty shocked by that news, really didn't expect to hear that.

If Calderwood leaves Kilmarnock (which is looking likely) then I think he'll end up at Rugby Park, which is obviously one of his former clubs.

H18sry
11-05-2010, 01:15 PM

Boss MacPherson leaves St Mirren

MacPherson steered the Buddies to a 10th place finish in the SPL
Gus MacPherson is parting ways with St Mirren after almost seven years as manager with the Paisley club.

The Buddies avoided relegation to finish this season in 10th place in the Scottish Premier League.

A club statement read: "We would like to thank Mr MacPherson for all his work and the improvement in the club's league standing since his arrival.

"The board feel that the relationship had run its course and that the club requires a change of direction."

blackpoolhibs
11-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Maybe because he couldnae beat a sheite Hibs team?:devil:

Jonnyboy
11-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Boss MacPherson leaves St Mirren

MacPherson steered the Buddies to a 10th place finish in the SPL
Gus MacPherson is parting ways with St Mirren after almost seven years as manager with the Paisley club.

The Buddies avoided relegation to finish this season in 10th place in the Scottish Premier League.

A club statement read: "We would like to thank Mr MacPherson for all his work and the improvement in the club's league standing since his arrival.

Sacked or it would have read Gus :agree:

Bayern Bru
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
So that's just Hibs, Hamilton, Rangers and St Johnstone who still have the same manager they started the season with.

Must be a first surely, for 2/3 of SPL clubs to sack/part company with their manager in one season (including GM in that even though the season's technically over).

PeeKay
11-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Maybe because he couldnae beat a sheite Hibs team?:devil:

Maybe so, but they certainly hammered a substantial nail into Tony Mowbray's coffin :greengrin

seanraff07
11-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I also think he'll go to Killie if Calderwood leaves.

Pretty decent manager i'd say, sure we've been linked with him previously?

PeterboroHibee
11-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Strange decision, I know they were sucked into the relegation battle a bit but cant really see them replacing him with someone better.

blackpoolhibs
11-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Strange decision, I know they were sucked into the relegation battle a bit but cant really see them replacing him with someone better.

I have never understood that argument. There is always someone better out there. Its the chaimans job to go out and find them. Its like saying there's nobody better than Riordan, or Nish. :wink:

Allant1981
11-05-2010, 02:41 PM
I have never understood that argument. There is always someone better out there. Its the chaimans job to go out and find them. Its like saying there's nobody better than Riordan, or Nish. :wink:

yip there is always someone better but its whether you can afford that someone better. cant see st mirren splashing the cash on a decent manager

Hibbie_Cameron
11-05-2010, 02:45 PM

I agree with you. After 7 years of scraping past relegation, maybe the St Mirren chairman wants to see where a new manager would take them. Surely a team like St Mirren should be aiming higher than 11th every season

Part/Time Supporter
11-05-2010, 02:55 PM
I agree with you. After 7 years of scraping past relegation, maybe the St Mirren chairman wants to see where a new manager would take them. Surely a team like St Mirren should be aiming higher than 11th every season

Except that St. Mirren were near the bottom of the First Division when he took the job...

greenlex
11-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving. A petulant, whining excuse of a thug.
Despised him ever since a reserve game at ER when one of his players was getting continually skinned by Jamie McCluskey. McPherson's response was to tell his player to, "******ing break his leg then. That'll stop him." Absolute disgrace to hear that coming from a coach to young players.

Maybe he should get a coaching role at ER to instill a bit if steel into our players.

Hibbie_Cameron
11-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Except that St. Mirren were near the bottom of the First Division when he took the job...

Of course he done a good job but surely after a few years of staying up by the skin of their teeth they should be looking to finish higher up. Its almost like they settle for finishing 11th every season, whilst Hamilton and St Johnstone have come up to first stay up then progress up the table

SlickShoes
11-05-2010, 03:14 PM
Even before the cup final the fans were all over phone ins wanting him sacked, i think its been coming for some time and getting to the CIS final just delayed this until the end of the season.

erskine-hibby
11-05-2010, 04:59 PM

Hmmmm:greengrin

Scorrie
11-05-2010, 06:12 PM

Zola? :dunno:

vanNISHtelroy
11-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Gus coming back to RP? As long as he doesn't bring Millen with him!

.Sean.
11-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Mixu to St Mirren perhaps...? :hmmm:

Barney McGrew
11-05-2010, 06:32 PM
As long as he doesn't bring Millen with him!

Looking at your goals against column, he could probably still do a job for you :greengrin

In fact looking at our goals against, he could probably still do a job for us too :boo hoo:

Jonnyboy
11-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Gus coming back to RP? As long as he doesn't bring Millen with him!

Heard you the first time :wink: :greengrin

vanNISHtelroy
11-05-2010, 07:06 PM
Dunno why it reposted, I clicked refresh and it reposted too!

Jonnyboy
11-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Dunno why it reposted, I clicked refresh and it reposted too!

:greengrin

Brando7
11-05-2010, 07:12 PM
didn't see that coming

johnrebus
11-05-2010, 08:14 PM
One of my mates writes match reports for a Sunday newspaper. He says that McPherson is by far the nastiest and most obnoxious manager in Scotland, never mind the SPL.

:cool2:

Ed De Gramo
11-05-2010, 09:21 PM
One of my mates writes match reports for a Sunday newspaper. He says that McPherson is by far the nastiest and most obnoxious manager in Scotland, never mind the SPL.

:cool2:

Has he not saw Pressley?

eastmainsmsh
11-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Derek Adams to take over :wink:

heretoday
11-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I think he'll end up at Motherwell.

Toaods
11-05-2010, 11:28 PM
He's a shoe-in for the Killie job hence the reason Tango Man still awaits the word.

meantime he's done the hnourable thing with his long term chairman, who has taken the huff and tried to get first drop on the dismissal front to save face.

Ray_
12-05-2010, 12:07 AM

They done exactly the same with Alex Ferguson :faf:

Joe Baker II
12-05-2010, 09:01 AM
They done exactly the same with Alex Ferguson :faf:

Slight difference was that Ferguson was attracting crowds in excess of 15,000 to Love Street which was almost entirely attributable to him, stating the obvious maybe but McPherson progress on this was hardly in the same league and they could only get 5,000 for a Celtic game recently.

He always struck me as a Williamson clone so no sympathy.

hstn747
12-05-2010, 09:46 AM
The board are looking to sell up and allow someone new to take over.The board were also unwilling to put more money into the team as they didn't want to lower the value of the assets. My, Saints supporting, flatmate reacons that the group looking to buy wanted Gus out as part of the deal.

He is hoping Brown doesn't get offered a permanant deal at Motherwell & they can lure him to St Mirren.