PDA

View Full Version : John Rankin.

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Never been my favorite player, but along with Nish, they have both been very good, Rankin superb in the last 3 or 4 games. Well done to them, and the team for securing Europe in the managers 1st season.:top marks:thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
10-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Yip, No ma cuppa T but well done Ranks :thumbsup::thumbsup:

And well done Yogi in what has to go down as a very successfull 1st season:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

HibbyKeith
10-05-2010, 05:08 PM
never been my favorite player either but without question he was my motm yesterday,

his involvement for the 2nd goal was top notch.

:top marks

Frazerbob
10-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Rankin is one of my favourite players. If every player in the squad is available he wouldn't be in the 1st eleven but, as we've seen this season, guys like him will always play a big part over the campaign. He may not have the ability of Deek or Stokes or Miller but his attitude and application is second to none. By all accounts he looks after himself and deserves all he gets out the game. I just wish he would stop shooting whenever he gets a sniff at goal (although he had a couple of cracking shots in recent weeks).

The abuse he gets from the stands (and on here) is a disgrace IMO.

MacBean
10-05-2010, 05:10 PM
said a similar thing on another thread,

may not be the best football in the world and gets too much abuse, but cannot fault his work rate and ethic. :top marks

hibee_girl
10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Rankin is one of my favourite players. If every player in the squad is available he wouldn't be in the 1st eleven but, as we've seen this season, guys like him will always play a big part over the campaign. He may not have the ability of Deek or Stokes or Miller but his attitude and application is second to none. By all accounts he looks after himself and deserves all he gets out the game. I just wish he would stop shooting whenever he gets a sniff at goal (although he had a couple of cracking shots in recent weeks).

:top marks

Aubenas
10-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Rankin is professional, focused, takes care of himself, appreciates playing for the club, always gives 100%, is a decent player, and never hides.

Now if the whole squad were like that.............:agree:

1two
10-05-2010, 05:40 PM
and on top of that he is one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet

lyonhibs
10-05-2010, 06:00 PM

:agree: :agree:

Unless we get an absolute suger daddy coming in, squad players like Rankin will always be absolutely vital as injuries/suspensions/loss of form start to hit the 1st 11 players.

That said, over the past few weeks, on form alone, I'd have had Rankin in my starting 11. If some of his dedication on and off the field could rub off on some of his more talented counterparts, we'd have had 4th wrapped up long before the last day!!

Riordans Boots
10-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Never been my favorite player, but along with Nish, they have both been very good, Rankin superb in the last 3 or 4 games. Well done to them, and the team for securing Europe in the managers 1st season.:top marks:thumbsup:

:top marks :thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
10-05-2010, 06:24 PM

:agree:

I can't help but feel that whoever has the jersey, we as fans should be giving them our backing, 100%. :bitchy: Instead of giving them verbal abuse..:cool2:

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2010, 06:25 PM
:agree:

I can't help but feel that whoever has the jersey, we as fans should be giving them our backing, 100%. :bitchy: Instead of giving them verbal abuse..:cool2:

Its a novel idea, one i'm pretty sure will never catch on.:boo hoo:

Jonnyboy
10-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Rankin is professional, focused, takes care of himself, appreciates playing for the club, always gives 100%, is a decent player, and never hides.

Now if the whole squad were like that.............:agree:

Indeed.

The fact that football fans are fickle is never better demonstrated than noticing the abuse Rankin gets on here whilst some players who, shall we say, do not exactly live their lives in the way the ideal professional sportsman would, are lauded as the best thing since sliced bread :agree:

Every team needs its workers and Rankin is one of ours

Leithenhibby
10-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Its a novel idea, one i'm pretty sure will never catch on.:boo hoo:

Unfortunately you are probably right :boo hoo: Just listening to some of the comments / abuse, coming from the stands on sunday was enough to make you think..:bitchy:

It can't be easy hearing that p!sh all the time if your a player....:rolleyes:

iwasthere1972
10-05-2010, 07:11 PM
I've always liked Nish and Rankin. :cool2:

Must be seeing something in them that others don't.

Leithenhibby
10-05-2010, 07:20 PM

For me Nish is too soft, he goes down far to easily for a man his size. That said, he works as hard as the next player.

God Petrie
10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
He's OK but still not good enough. He should be a fringe player at best.

.Sean.
10-05-2010, 07:26 PM
He's OK but still not good enough. He should be a fringe player at best.
:yawn:

He's been brilliant for us of late. Give it a rest, eh?

Iggy Pope
10-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Indeed.

The fact that football fans are fickle is never better demonstrated than noticing the abuse Rankin gets on here whilst some players who, shall we say, do not exactly live their lives in the way the ideal professional sportsman would, are lauded as the best thing since sliced bread :agree:

Every team needs its workers and Rankin is one of ours

I've been fortunate enough to have attended the last couple of Club Player of the Year dinners and it seems that he is one of the key men in the Dressing Room.
Every side needs at least one of them too.

matty_f
10-05-2010, 07:49 PM

:agree: Rankin has been a stand out in the Hibs side in about the last 5 games, IMHO.

I like Rankin, I think he's one of the weaker members of the squad ability-wise, but you cannot fault his work-rate, commitment, and effort. If players won awards for giving their all, Rankin would be up there every year.

I think Yogi's improved him as a player. Rankin has definitely finished the season a much better footballer than the footballer he was a the start. I remember watching an interview with Yogi on HTV, and he was saying that he recognised that Rankin wasn't the best player we've got, but because Rankin had the desire and the commitment to better himself, then Yogi could coach the skill/technical side of the game.

Up til the last 5 games or so, I don't think I'd seen Rankin win the 'personal battles' in midfield with anyone he has been up against, but I think he's won the last few hands down.

:top marks for Rankin.

Cropley10
10-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Not a fan tbh. But he's won me over in the past few games. Certainly no-one works harder or prepares better at Hibs.

God Petrie
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
:yawn:

He's been brilliant for us of late. Give it a rest, eh?

He has been decent recently but I'd prefer to judge him over 2 years as opposed to 4 weeks.

Sprouleflyer
10-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Not a fan tbh. But he's won me over in the past few games. Certainly no-one works harder or prepares better at Hibs.

I'm not fan of Rankin either, always felt a squad player at best.

That said he has been one of our better players in the last few games, however does tend to run out of steam after 60 mins mainly due to the fact that he has covered every blade of grass in that 60 mins.

Needs some coaching on how to pace himself.

brydekirk
10-05-2010, 08:19 PM
The two most slagged outfield players this season, dragged the team into europe yesterday. true hibbies, but not hibs class. :bye:

Ed De Gramo
10-05-2010, 09:56 PM
The two most slagged outfield players this season, dragged the team into europe yesterday. true hibbies, but not hibs class. :bye:

A proper Hibee script :agree::agree:

Dunbar Hibee
10-05-2010, 10:02 PM

Same here mate:agree: Particulary Rankin

rainman
11-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Yogi has had pelters all season for sticking by these guys.

As he said, this is the "character" you want in your squad.

Neither look the best when we're pinging the ball about winning games with ease, but when the going got tough, these two stepped up.

Removed
11-05-2010, 08:09 AM
:agree: Rankin has been a stand out in the Hibs side in about the last 5 games, IMHO.

I like Rankin, I think he's one of the weaker members of the squad ability-wise, but you cannot fault his work-rate, commitment, and effort. If players won awards for giving their all, Rankin would be up there every year.

I think Yogi's improved him as a player. Rankin has definitely finished the season a much better footballer than the footballer he was a the start. I remember watching an interview with Yogi on HTV, and he was saying that he recognised that Rankin wasn't the best player we've got, but because Rankin had the desire and the commitment to better himself, then Yogi could coach the skill/technical side of the game.

Up til the last 5 games or so, I don't think I'd seen Rankin win the 'personal battles' in midfield with anyone he has been up against, but I think he's won the last few hands down.

:top marks for Rankin.

:agree: Matty. I gave Rankin pelters on here the other week and am glad that has made me eat my words lately.

and well said BH for the OP :thumbsup:

brog
11-05-2010, 08:56 AM
I'm not fan of Rankin either, always felt a squad player at best.

That said he has been one of our better players in the last few games, however does tend to run out of steam after 60 mins mainly due to the fact that he has covered every blade of grass in that 60 mins.

Needs some coaching on how to pace himself.

:confused: Rankin is probably the fittest player at the club. A perfect example was the winning goal at Darkheid. Rankin wins the ball outside our box, passes it forward then sprints 60 yards to collect the ball & play Galbraith in. that was in the 90th minute.
Rankin may not be the most talented but he gives 100% every week for 90 minutes.

Antifa Hibs
11-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Been saying that for a while.

He may not be the best player, pinging Beckham like pases an scoring for fun, but when he plays he puts in a full 90 minute shift, very rarely blames other players and does the dirty work and gets on with it. Very similar to Darren Fletcher, who only 2-3 years ago was getting some serious stick from the United faithfull, now according to Wayne Rooney he is one of the 1st names on the teamsheet.

Fitba fans are generally think as ....... though :agree:

Captain Trips
11-05-2010, 09:11 AM
No Doubt that John has played better than most over the last few matches, and in his time at Hibs he has done that before, for me its just not near often enough, the last few weeks are the exception rather than the rule.

Going forward IMO we need to find better players, trying and giving your best is part of what you need but its not everything, over the course of his time at ER I think not as good as I had hoped.

Dr Jimmy
11-05-2010, 09:14 AM
I actually think that we can use Rankin in the holding midfield role that we crave. He is not afraid to get stuck in and has tremendous stamina, the problem I think he has is he wants to get into the box to try and score, he also gets caught out of position by chasing lost causes into the corners when he should just win the ball give it to Miller, Wotherspoon etc and stay in the middle of the park. If he was to do this we would get much better protection for the defence and also allow Miller to get forward more......dare I say it, the Matty Jack role..:greengrin

Expecting Rain
11-05-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry but in order for Hibs to improve, we have to get rid of Hogg,Rankin and Nish.

Franck is God
11-05-2010, 11:43 AM
Nish, Rankin and Hogg have all come in for a lot of criticism this year from many sections of the support, most of it completely unjustified.

They all have good and bad attributes to their game but attitude and determination can never be questioned. I will be happy for all three of them to be at the club next year and play their part in hopefully another year of improvement.

Any team needs a mixture of players, its up to the manager to get the balance right but you can't do it without guys like these. There is such a double standard from most football fans, always found it amazing how one player can be unlucky yet another sh*te when they have just done the exact same thing.

blackpoolhibs
11-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Sorry but in order for Hibs to improve, we have to get rid of Hogg,Rankin and Nish.

I'd say they all need replacing, but i'd keep Nish and Rankin for the squad.