PDA

View Full Version : Colin Nish

jonny
10-05-2010, 11:59 AM
I was speaking with a mate at work (fellow Hibby) after yesterdays glorious triumph and we got onto Colin Nish.

When at Killie he seemed to get his fair share of goals but since coming to Hibs (until the last week) hasn't really done it.

I reckon he's been getting played too deep. At Killie he was always knocking in tap-ins and getting scrappy goals from inside the box. For most of this season, when being played he's been deployed as a battering ram somewhere between the edge of the box and the half way line with loads of high balls getting knocked up to him so he can lay them off or flick them on.

I noticed the last 2 games we have somewhat changed our tactics, that being to get the ball down the flanks and cut it back into the strikers rather than lumping it forward towards the box. He seems to read the game quite well and manages to get into good positions in the box.
Given the chances he's had around the penalty spot / 6 yard box he's done quite well. It's almost as if Hughes has finally managed to figure out a plan that might actually work. When big Nishy has been getting amongst the goals his chin is up and he generally plays well.
Maybe not so much the "Colin Pish" we once thought. I hope he gets a chance next season and am pretty confident that if he does he'll better his 12 goals of this season.

Thoughts?

bighairyfaeleith
10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I was speaking with a mate at work (fellow Hibby) after yesterdays glorious triumph and we got onto Colin Nish.

When at Killie he seemed to get his fair share of goals but since coming to Hibs (until the last week) hasn't really done it.

I reckon he's been getting played too deep. At Killie he was always knocking in tap-ins and getting scrappy goals from inside the box. For most of this season, when being played he's been deployed as a battering ram somewhere between the edge of the box and the half way line with loads of high balls getting knocked up to him so he can lay them off or flick them on.

I noticed the last 2 games we have somewhat changed our tactics, that being to get the ball down the flanks and cut it back into the strikers rather than lumping it forward towards the box. He seems to read the game quite well and manages to get into good positions in the box.
Given the chances he's had around the penalty spot / 6 yard box he's done quite well. It's almost as if Hughes has finally managed to figure out a plan that might actually work. When big Nishy has been getting amongst the goals his chin is up and he generally plays well.
Maybe not so much the "Colin Pish" we once thought. I hope he gets a chance next season and am pretty confident that if he does he'll better his 12 goals of this season.

Thoughts?

No training the day colin?

Cod Boy
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM
should be in next scotland squad

john18722
10-05-2010, 12:08 PM
I agree with the OP. Against Motherwell and Utd we played Stokes and Nish right up top with Riordan and Wotherspoon as out and out wingers and it worked. When Stokes went off Riordan went upfront with Nish and Gow (as crap as he is) went wide left. I definitely think Nish is a better player being played right up top. It also means his sometimes suspect first touch is not as much of a problem.

bighairyfaeleith
10-05-2010, 12:09 PM
should be in next scotland squad

:faf::top marks

PeterboroHibee
10-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Ive always liked him, he does have games where he is terrible but then so does every player. Gets a hard time from a lot of fans, both Hibs and non-Hibs supporters, a lot of it quite unneccessary.

Hes not a world beater by any means, but he does a job, he scores goals and his link up play can be class at times; Ive seen him do little flicks and tricks that Ronaldo would be proud of (he did some weird turn/flick last season that was unbelievable, totally skinned the player), just isnt very consistant with that sort of stuff.

Archie70
10-05-2010, 12:20 PM
Agree with OP. We might have seen a different Nish had we had someone capable of hitting the bye lines and getting cut backs. His fitness is such that he's not capable winning the knock ons and getting in and around the 6 yard box but for him to score 5 in 2 with a simple change of tactics / position says that he's maybe capable of rattling in a few more than he has. Bring back Ivan he'll sort it out!

Phil MaGlass
10-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Nish is off tae sign for Aberdeen.

JimBHibees
10-05-2010, 12:32 PM

How do you know this?

woodythehibee
10-05-2010, 12:34 PM
he has played a lot deeper this season that's for sure. And I think he has played that role well, at times he hasn't been used as an "out and out" striker which is gonna effect his goalscoring record.

Sprouleflyer
10-05-2010, 12:44 PM
If he was played deeper, how come he was still offside 10 times each game?

EasterRoad4Ever
10-05-2010, 01:17 PM
5 goals in two games is purely a reaction to his stupid comments about Hibs fans - re-doubling his efforts. It shows what any player can do if motivated.

cleanyman
10-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Finds form at the end of the season...... If he played the way he has played the last 2 games for a full season he would score around 90 goals a season:greengrin

steve75
10-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Yup, All season we've been playing 4-2-3-1/4-4-1-1. last two games it's been a blatent 4-4-2. He is clearly better when asked not to play football and just get in the box and score. Though he has been helped by poor defending and dodgy keeping.

And the reason he still gets caught offside '10 times a game' when playing deep is he tends to stay roughly in the same poisition on the pitch. So when We're defending he's inline with their defence, when attacking he'll be closer to their Midfield. simples.

also that 'is that you *said player's name*' response to any praise towards a player is getting pretty old.

The Sea-gull
10-05-2010, 01:39 PM

I'm sure McGhee was prattling on about Hibs a good few months ago, around October/November time talking about the quality players we had.

Went on to say he'd have liked to have signed Stokes and Miller but wouldn't have had the budget. Said he'd have liked to sign Riordan but couldn't afford him, tried to sign Bamba for Motherwell but was beaten by Hibs and won't get him now.

Then went on and said that maybe one or two fringe players might be available as Yogi was keen on a couple of his players (think Foster and Consindine were mentioned) and he had stated that Nish and Rankin may interest him as neither were featuring in the first 11 at that point.

Dunno where all that stands now though but McGhee was a fud back then and still is now.

hibee92
10-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm sure McGhee was prattling on about Hibs a good few months ago, around October/November time talking about the quality players we had.

Went on to say he'd have liked to have signed Stokes and Miller but wouldn't have had the budget. Said he'd have liked to sign Riordan but couldn't afford him, tried to sign Bamba for Motherwell but was beaten by Hibs and won't get him now.

Then went on and said that maybe one or two fringe players might be available as Yogi was keen on a couple of his players (think Foster and Consindine were mentioned) and he had stated that Nish and Rankin may interest him as neither were featuring in the first 11 at that point.

Dunno where all that stands now though but McGhee was a fud back then and still is now.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say to Mr McGhee... tough titties :bye:

sleeping giant
10-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Hughes seems to like Nish . I like Nish and i hope he doesnt leave in the summer.
Saying that , ANY player is replaceable should someone better become available.

Mon the Nishy :thumbsup:

MB62
10-05-2010, 02:39 PM
I always felt Nish was unfairly criticised on far too many occasions, he seemd to be the new fall guy. He has now scored 12 goals this season and the Yams would bite yer hand off for somebody that could do that. He has also had a good few assists during the season and I think everybody bar Yogi, again, knew he was being played out of his best position.

Allant1981
10-05-2010, 02:43 PM
sorry but id still get rid, yip he had had two good games but maybe if he tried this hard in the games where he missed easy one on ones etc then we would have finished 3rd

NORTHERNHIBBY
10-05-2010, 03:19 PM
His last two games are what we need to see week in and week out from Nish. A target man, holding the ball up. All that happens when he falls a bit deeper, is that it becomes obvious he can't pass the ball very well. His passing at Well was dire and not much better at Tannadeechay. But when he does what it says on the tin, it makes you wonder why we are even looking at Kevin Kyle.