PDA

View Full Version : The Idiot's Guide To Hibs In Europe 2010/11

Dashing Bob S
10-05-2010, 12:01 AM
Help me, I'm confused and no wiser after reading all the threads and the strange wikipedia thingy.

1) Is it best for us if Dundee United or Ross County win?

2) If Dundee United win the cup, our dates in Europe are.......(fill in)

3) If Ross County win the cup, our dates in Europe are......(fill in)

4) If Dundee United win we will play teams like:

in the .........................round. If we win that tie we will be in the.............

5) If Ross County win we play teams like:

in the.........................round. If we win that tie we will be in the..............

Thank you!

MacBean
10-05-2010, 12:08 AM
Help me, I'm confused and no wiser after reading all the threads and the strange wikipedia thingy.

1) Is it best for us if Dundee United or Ross County win?
depends if you want an easy tie in the middle of nowhere - ross county.
if you want a tie against a better team in a nice city with lesser chance of progress D Utd

29th July and 5thAugust

15th July and 22nd July

4) & 5)

IF dundee Utd DONT win the Scottish Cup we will be up against:
Elfsborg (swe)
Molde(nor)
Stabaek (nor)
Cibalia (cro)
Inter Turku (fin)
Honka (fin)
Shamrock Robers (eir)
Sporitng Fingal (eir)
Suduva Marijampole (Lith)
Atyrau (KAZ!)
Bangor City (wal)
Cliftonville (NI)
Viking (Faroes)
Ventspils (Lat)
Maribor (slo)
Breidablik (ice)
Karpaty Lviv (Ukr)

as well as 3/4/5th placed teams from nations like Portugal Greece, Turkey, Czech, israel, Serbia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Poland, Austria, Belarus, Latvia, Georgia, Liechtenstein, Azerbaijan, Albania

AND

If Dundee utd DO win the Scottish cup we will be up against:

(half of the above)
and
Brugge (bel)
Red Star Belgrade (ser)
Hadjuk Split (cro)
Stuttgart (ger)
Sporting Lisbon (por)
Juventus (ita)
Napoli (ita)
Galatasaray (tur)
Besiktas (tur)
Aston villa (eng)
liverpool (eng)
Apoel (isr)
Dnipro (ukr)
AZ Alkmaar (Hol)
CSKA Moscow (rus)
OB (Den)
Beroe (bul)
Aalesunds (nor)

As well as 3rd/4/5/6/7th placed teams / cup winners from Romania, Switzerland, Poland, Israel, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, France

Thank you!

hopefully that should suffice!

NaeTechnoHibby
10-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Put simply, we want DU to win the cup :agree:

Otherwise most peeps, who take the school holidays, are goosed :agree:

Moreso, we would have had at least a month of pre-season training and close to the start of the season, which seems to suit us :agree:

I remember the Intertoto debacles in early seasons, so naw to the romantic notion of RC winning :boo hoo:

Sadly :bitchy:

erin-go-bragh87
10-05-2010, 12:17 AM
How good would a draw versus Juventus be!! Cheeky away trip to Turin would be amazing!!

CB_NO3
10-05-2010, 12:21 AM
How good would a draw versus Juventus be!! Cheeky away trip to Turin would be amazing!!
That would be class, dont fancy a trip to Galatasary though, atmosphere would be good though.

HibeeDaz6270
10-05-2010, 01:05 AM
I am desperate to watch Hibs abroad. If Dundee Utd win the cup the dates will clash with my holiday. I will be in turkey, so Galatasaray please :greengrin

Houchy
10-05-2010, 07:41 AM
That would be class, dont fancy a trip to Galatasary though, atmosphere would be good though.

Think we'd be OK there to be honest. It's just the English (which is understandable) that have major problems anywhere they go.

Craig_in_Prague
10-05-2010, 08:11 AM
30th birthday on 4th Aug...... a nice tie which won't cost too much to get to, would be great :pray:

.SeventyFive
10-05-2010, 08:15 AM
So essentially if Dundee United win the Scottish Cup, for us it will be as good as getting 3rd in the league in terms of what round we enter the Europa League.

Not bad at all.

--------
10-05-2010, 08:26 AM
So we want the Arabs to win the Cup.

Because that way we start later and have the chance of a reasonable pre-season before we play.

If County win, we play a fortnight earlier, with no guarantee of progressing, and our pre-season's mucked up.

Got it. Thanks, HFC.

Ritchie
10-05-2010, 08:30 AM
i wouldnt mind a tie against bangor city.... trip to wales would be teckle!

then should we beat them we can get a wee trip to a country a bit further afield! :wink:

Craig_in_Prague
10-05-2010, 08:32 AM
and how many rounds (assuming we play 27th July and 4th Aug), do we need to win to get into the group stage?

MacBean
10-05-2010, 09:29 AM
and how many rounds (assuming we play 27th July and 4th Aug), do we need to win to get into the group stage?

We would play the Third Qualifying Round (27/7 & 4/8) and then the "Play Off" round (19/8 & 26/8) (which is classed as the Europa League proper)

incidently. The draw for the 1st & 2nd Qual round is on 21st June and the draw for the 3rd Qual round is on 16th July

.SeventyFive
10-05-2010, 09:30 AM

Two (if Dundee United win the Scottish Cup).

We would start in the 3rd Qualifying Round (potentially playing the likes of Juventus, Liverpool, Stuttgart) and then the Playoff Round (Man City, Porto, Aston Villa) before the Group Stages.

MacBean
10-05-2010, 09:33 AM
for more details check here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League)

cockneymike
10-05-2010, 09:34 AM

Two - games on the dates you mention and then another a set of games (assuming we win through) on the 19th and 26th august, before the group stage which would begin on the 16th September, which would be played over 6 games finishing in December.

Full details are here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010%E2%80%9311_UEFA_Europa_League

If DU Utd win the cup we enter in the 3rd qualifying round
If RC win the cup we enter in the 2nd qualifying round

Craig_in_Prague
10-05-2010, 09:46 AM

We would play the Third Qualifying Round (27/7 & 4/8) and then the "Play Off" round (19/8 & 26/8) (which is classed as the Europa League proper)

incidently. The draw for the 1st & 2nd Qual round is on 21st June and the draw for the 3rd Qual round is on 16th July

So we'll know who we play less than 2 weeks before the 1st leg?

that's poo.

Frazerbob
10-05-2010, 09:49 AM
So we'll know who we play less than 2 weeks before the 1st leg?

that's poo.

Exactly, nae cheap flights! :grr:

Phil D. Rolls
10-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm saving my cash for the group stages.

green.and.white
10-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I would love to get a top team like Juventus, we would get beaten easily in both legs but what a great experience that would be! :thumbsup:
Although i would also like to get a lesser team and get through to the group stages (unlikely).
So as long as we don't get beaten by a diddy team i'm happy :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
10-05-2010, 10:00 AM
I would love to get a top team like Juventus, we would get beaten easily in both legs but what a great experience that would be! :thumbsup:
Although i would also like to get a lesser team and get through to the group stages (unlikely).
So as long as we don't get beaten by a diddy team i'm happy :greengrin

I'd much rather we got a team that we haven't played before.

As for getting beaten by diddy teams, I think we shipped 6 points to that pub team in West Edinburgh this season, so it's not likely to bother us if we get beaten by a Faroese select or something like that.

JimBHibees
10-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I'd much rather we got a team that we haven't played before.

As for getting beaten by diddy teams, I think we shipped 6 points to that pub team in West Edinburgh this season, so it's not likely to bother us if we get beaten by a Faroese select or something like that.

8 points thought I would get in before a Yam did. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
10-05-2010, 10:09 AM
8 points thought I would get in before a Yam did. :greengrin

Sorry, my guard was down. There's certainly no Yams on this thread. :bitchy:

Owain_1987
10-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Banger City :greengrin

ekhibee
10-05-2010, 10:31 AM
So basically, if DU win the cup, we will NOT be getting into the group stages of the Europa Cup, when you've got the likes of Liverpool, Villa, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon and Stuttgart in it as well. On the other hand, if RC win the cup, we've got a chance of playing Elfsborg again, and they horsed us an aw. Hmm....

MacBean
10-05-2010, 10:33 AM
So basically, if DU win the cup, we will NOT be getting into the group stages of the Europa Cup, when you've got the likes of Liverpool, Villa, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon and Stuttgart in it as well. On the other hand, if RC win the cup, we've got a chance of playing Elfsborg again, and they horsed us an aw. Hmm....

right,

either your confused, or you've just confused me.

if DU win the cup, we will be going into the tournament TWO rounds before the group stages. but in that round with the teams you mention above.

If RC win the cup we will be going into the round before that and face the likes of elfsborg et al.

MB62
10-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I'm saving my cash for the group stages.

How many qualifiers do we need to play to get to the group stages?

RoxburghHibs
10-05-2010, 10:55 AM

:faf:

Frazerbob
10-05-2010, 11:00 AM
IIRC the knock rounds are seeded. How does this work and is there any chance we could get seeded?

Sandy
10-05-2010, 11:04 AM

There speaks a man who can't be arsed reading the entire thread :greengrin

HiBremian
10-05-2010, 11:07 AM
There speaks a man who can't be arsed reading the entire thread :greengrin

:agree::top marks

Sergy Pie
10-05-2010, 11:10 AM
How many groups stages do we need to go through to get to the qualifying stages?

Does this number change if Ross County win the SC? Does this number change if Dundee United lose the SC?

bawheid
10-05-2010, 11:16 AM
When's the final? :thumbsup:

Frazerbob
10-05-2010, 11:16 AM
When's the final? :thumbsup:

Next May.......in Dublin! :thumbsup:

HibeeEmma
10-05-2010, 11:33 AM
Is there a better financial gain if Utd win the cup and we go into the later rounds?

hibeeleicester
10-05-2010, 11:34 AM
Realistically , im hoping for a game against the likes of napoli/brugge

A chance of winning, packed stadium rocking atmposphere!!

--------
10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
right,

either your confused, or you've just confused me.

if DU win the cup, we will be going into the tournament TWO rounds before the group stages. but in that round with the teams you mention above.

If RC win the cup we will be going into the round before that and face the likes of elfsborg et al.

And if we win our tie in the second qualifying round, we'll still have to play the big teams in the third qualifying round.

Whatever happens, we're going to have to be very good, or very lucky, to get into the group stage.

But stranger things have happened.... :devil:

--------
10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Is there a better financial gain if Utd win the cup and we go into the later rounds?

Don't think so. IIRC it's 90,000 Euros a round up till the groups. It's in the group stage that the prize money begins to really increase.

hulk
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
earlier post had champions league dates on it

27/28th July and 3rd / 4th August - the dates on the sites I have seen are 29th July and 5th August. The dates stated here are champions league dates (wishful thinking !)
13/14th July and 20th / 21st July - nope. its the 15th and 22nd July

micksoo
10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
IIRC the knock rounds are seeded. How does this work and is there any chance we could get seeded?

This site explains all, but it is based on a points system on the average of your country and your own performance in Europe over the last 5 years. You then receive a points total.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2010.html

You will find us at 183.

This next page shows you how the qualifying will work for each round. So there will be 70 teams in 3rd qulaifying round and the 35 highest ranked will be seeded and the 35 lowest ranked will not be. I think we have little chance of being seeded.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/seedel2010.html

Also note that the qualifying rounds are regional so we can only get teams from the following:

Belgium, Denmark, England, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Scotland, Sweden, and Wales.

I hope this helps!

HibeeEmma
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Don't think so. IIRC it's 90,000 Euros a round up till the groups. It's in the group stage that the prize money begins to really increase.

So we would be better financially if RC won and we went in earlier, earn ourselves an extra 90,000 Euros and replace pre-season with an experience of European football.

Down side: Risk being put out early on and only playing a rubbish team with little atmosphere.

Sir David Gray
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
This site explains all, but it is based on a points system on the average of your country and your own performance in Europe over the last 5 years. You then receive a points total.

You will find us at 183.

This next page shows you how the qualifying will work for each round. So there will be 70 teams in 3rd qulaifying round and the 35 highest ranked will be seeded and the 35 lowest ranked will not be. I think we have little chance of being seeded.

Also note that the qualifying rounds are regional so we can only get teams from the following:

Belgium, Denmark, England, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Scotland, Sweden, and Wales.

I hope this helps!

Is that a new thing brought in for next season?

Motherwell played teams from Albania and Romania and Aberdeen played a team from the Czech Republic in last year's qualification stage.

Hibrandenburg
10-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Exactly, nae cheap flights! :grr:

Unless you work for a major airline :wink:

hibee62
10-05-2010, 12:36 PM

You will find us at 183.

I hope this helps!

Bear in mind that a lot of teams come through to that stage from the previous round, hence are likely to be ranked below us. I think we may be seeded at this stage, no chance in the play off though.

greenlex
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Motherwell played teams from Albania and Romania and Aberdeen played a team from the Czech Republic in last year's qualification stage.

Don't think so. Motherwell also played a team from Wales first IIRC

MacBean
10-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Im pretty sure the regional games are only for the first round of qualifiers - could be wrong mind you!

MacBean
10-05-2010, 01:33 PM
earlier post had champions league dates on it

27/28th July and 3rd / 4th August - the dates on the sites I have seen are 29th July and 5th August. The dates stated here are champions league dates (wishful thinking !)
13/14th July and 20th / 21st July - nope. its the 15th and 22nd July

:doh:
oops!
Ma bad!

Keith_M
10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Stuttgart please!

:thumbsup:

HibbyAndy
10-05-2010, 02:12 PM
How many rounds do we have to negotiate before the group stages?

Future17
10-05-2010, 02:14 PM

Best financial situation is to play and win both rounds, but if we're only going to win one, it's likely to be more finanically beneficial to start in and win the Third Qualifying Round rather than start in and win the Second Qualifying Round before getting knocked out.

I hope this helps!

That's a hell of a region! I suppose it's only the far-Eastern European countries which are missing? (E.g, Ukraine, Kazakhstan, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia etc.)

I'm 99% certain this didn't happen last year.

--------
10-05-2010, 02:20 PM
So we would be better financially if RC won and we went in earlier, earn ourselves an extra 90,000 Euros and replace pre-season with an experience of European football.

Down side: Risk being put out early on and only playing a rubbish team with little atmosphere.

90,000 Euros isn't that much if playing in that round screws up the season later on. We seem to be well able to screw up the run-n without starting our season in early-to-middle July.

And while I may be wrong, I don't think we'll fill ER playing against the fourth-best team in Estonia or the losing finalists from the Belorussian League Cup.... :agree:

On the other hand, if we did a giant-killing act and went through from the second qualifying to the group stage, we'd have taken in a fair bit of dosh and then some.

micksoo
10-05-2010, 02:33 PM
How many rounds do we have to negotiate before the group stages?

2 if DU win cup 3 if RC win cup

micksoo
10-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Good point - it changed when the Europa League came in. I should learn how to read. Sorry:dizzy:

I misread the following sentence:

In the Europa League qualifying rounds the teams will be no longer be divided into regional groups (as used previously in the UEFA Cup).

HibbyAndy
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
2 if DU win cup 3 if RC win cup

:aok:

micksoo
10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Bear in mind that a lot of teams come through to that stage from the previous round, hence are likely to be ranked below us. I think we may be seeded at this stage, no chance in the play off though.

You might be right - I hope we are seeded so we get a better chance at at least 2 trips.

monktonharp
10-05-2010, 04:26 PM
So as long as we don't get beaten by a diddy team i'm happy :greengrinwe beat Juve last time we played them at ER,:greengrin if that happens next season,get booked up for Dublin,Landsdowne Road for the final:thumbsup:

Future17
10-05-2010, 04:38 PM
we beat Juve last time we played them at ER,:greengrin if that happens next season,get booked up for Dublin,Landsdowne Road for the final:thumbsup:

Obviously Juve are currently a cut above us in general terms, but they'll be going into Europe on the back of what is widely considered to be their worst ever season and it's likely that they will be under a new manager who faces a partial re-building process.

If we're going to dream of giant-killing - they're not as ridiculous a potential target as they first might seem.

Ritchie
10-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Obviously Juve are currently a cut above us in general terms, but they'll be going into Europe on the back of what is widely considered to be their worst ever season and it's likely that they will be under a new manager who faces a partial re-building process.

If we're going to dream of giant-killing - they're not as ridiculous a potential target as they first might seem.

There is only one word for your final statement!!! Ridiculous!!!!

Future17
10-05-2010, 04:51 PM
There is only one word for your final statement!!! Ridiculous!!!!

I expected better from you.....not sure why though! :greengrin

You've got to dream big anyway - how many Fulham fans expected to beat Shakhtar, Juventus, Hamburg etc. and get to the final this year?

crash
10-05-2010, 04:55 PM
we beat Juve last time we played them at ER,:greengrin if that happens next season,get booked up for Dublin,Landsdowne Road for the final:thumbsup:

:confused: No we didn't.

monktonharp
10-05-2010, 05:23 PM
:confused: No we didn't.think you are correct,Altafini scored two,came on as sub for aboot 20mins and we got pumped 4-2,my brain isnae quite what it used to be,after the op,the wife says they put the sim card back in the wrang way. where's Johnnyboy when you need him?:greengrin

Future17
10-05-2010, 07:15 PM
think you are correct,Altafini scored two,came on as sub for aboot 20mins and we got pumped 4-2,my brain isnae quite what it used to be,after the op,the wife says they put the sim card back in the wrang way. where's Johnnyboy when you need him?:greengrin

Definitely 2-4 in '74. :agree:

NAE NOOKIE
10-05-2010, 08:52 PM
If we dont start off at the 3rd round stage I have no chance of getting to an away tie unless Hibs manage to win through to the 3rd round.

Not a hope in hell of getting the time off work and even then it will only work out if we play the away leg second which would be in August.

Cant say I have a lot of faith in Hibs winning a tie so early in the year.

So nae disrespect to Ross County who under normal circumstances I would have wanted to win the SC but:

C'mon Dundee Utd.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

bubblesmorrison
10-05-2010, 09:20 PM
i hate the fairytails there a nightmare for scottish football runners up from the scottish should never get in. would much rather motherwell playing in europe than ross county.

MacBean
10-05-2010, 09:25 PM
i hate the fairytails there a nightmare for scottish football runners up from the scottish should never get in. would much rather motherwell playing in europe than ross county.

and that will be the case this year unless Ross county WIN the Scottish cup.