PDA

View Full Version : World Cup - Mars Bars renamed

Removed
09-05-2010, 10:04 PM
MARS bars are being renamed Believe to rally England fans for the World Cup.

Bosses hope it will inspire England to emulate Bobby Moore's 1966 World Cup winwith England. The chocolate bar will change later this month for the second time since it was made in 1920 and will revert to Mars after the tournament ends in July.

Andrea Taylor, of Mars, said: "As the nation's favourite chocolate bar, Mars is in an ideal position to fuel positivity for the World Cup."

The Believe range will also be sold in Scotland, Wales and Ireland , though with a more general philosophical message - as they failed to make the finals.

England Football Supporters Federation boss Malcolm Clarke said:
"A Mars bar is still a Mars bar, whatever it's called. I guess some will see it as jumping on the bandwagon."

Rivals Nestle will also put images of England 's 1966 victory on Kit Kats and Yorkies.

Experts expect similar stunts from hundreds of other companies. Marketing magazine Brand Republic said: "It's the biggest sports marketing opportunity of the decade - companies don't want to be left behind".

This is the Tartan Army's response:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8397/marsbarz.jpg

zlatan
09-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Thank christ I'm gonna be in Europe for the half of the World Cup England will be in.

Diclonius
09-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Thus starts the quad-annual boycott of Mars bars. :agree:

surreyhibbie
09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Never buy Mars bars anyway, not a big fan

They better keep away from Snickers though! :grr:

Ryan91
09-05-2010, 10:09 PM
I work at Sports Direct at the St. James centre, and there are deals on a whole load of England for the world cup t-shirts etc. I wonder if they'd ever consider doing the ABE T-shirts, they'd sell like wild fire probably.

marinello59
09-05-2010, 10:11 PM
They better keep away from Snickers though! :grr:

They are Marathon bars.............not Snickers.:grr:

:greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
09-05-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm starting to see more and more England flags and banners around Hampshire as each day goes by.

There's every chance I'll get my face caved in during the month of June. The World Cup hasn't even started and I'm bristling already.

I almost got lynched in a furniture store last week after telling the salesmen I wanted my new sofa delivered before 11th June so I could "sit back in comfort and watch England get pumped".

surreyhibbie
09-05-2010, 10:16 PM
They are Marathon bars.............not Snickers.:grr:

True, John, forgot myself for a minute there...:greengrin

Still my fav, whatever they are called...

ballengeich
09-05-2010, 10:49 PM
During the World Cup go into lots of shops, pick up a pile of goods and just before handing over the cash ask for a Mars Bar. When you are offered a Believe as a substitute tell the shopkeeper that if there are no Mars Bars on sale you won't take anything else either.

hibsboy90
10-05-2010, 12:14 AM
During the World Cup go into lots of shops, pick up a pile of goods and just before handing over the cash ask for a Mars Bar. When you are offered a Believe as a substitute tell the shopkeeper that if there are no Mars Bars on sale you won't take anything else either.
Thats called being an arse. It wouldn't be the shopkeepers fault that mars have changed their name.

monktonharp
10-05-2010, 01:16 AM
Thats called being an arse. It wouldn't be the shopkeepers fault that mars have changed their name.oh? Awrite,have tou got any offical "we support England bars " please? YES. ok . ram them up your ARSEBAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil D. Rolls
10-05-2010, 09:57 AM
MARS bars are being renamed Believe to rally England fans for the World Cup.

Bosses hope it will inspire England to emulate Bobby Moore's 1966 World Cup winwith England. The chocolate bar will change later this month for the second time since it was made in 1920 and will revert to Mars after the tournament ends in July.

Andrea Taylor, of Mars, said: "As the nation's favourite chocolate bar, Mars is in an ideal position to fuel positivity for the World Cup."

The Believe range will also be sold in Scotland, Wales and Ireland , though with a more general philosophical message - as they failed to make the finals.

England Football Supporters Federation boss Malcolm Clarke said:
"A Mars bar is still a Mars bar, whatever it's called. I guess some will see it as jumping on the bandwagon."

Rivals Nestle will also put images of England 's 1966 victory on Kit Kats and Yorkies.

Experts expect similar stunts from hundreds of other companies. Marketing magazine Brand Republic said: "It's the biggest sports marketing opportunity of the decade - companies don't want to be left behind".

This is the Tartan Army's response:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8397/marsbarz.jpg

Wasn't even funny at the last world cup. Let them get on with it, slagging them off doesn't mean we qualified.

Jay
10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Wasn't even funny at the last world cup. Let them get on with it, slagging them off doesn't mean we qualified.

Hows it slagging them off? Its just saying we wont be supporting them.

I think its funny and I know my 14 year old would spend a months pocket money on them as he hasn't bought a Mars Bar for over a month when he realised they were running the campaign.

hibsboy90
10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
oh? Awrite,have tou got any offical "we support England bars " please? YES. ok . ram them up your ARSEBAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A wee bit OTT there monktonharp. I was referring to the fact that a customer would deliberately waste the time of a shopkeeper just because they only had mars bars with 'believe' written on them.

Would it not be easier to just continue shopping and not buy the 'believe' bar. Hence the 'arse' comment.

M11BMO
10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
As long as Galaxy remains as it is then I'm safe...:dizzy:

lapsedhibee
10-05-2010, 10:14 AM
I almost got lynched in a furniture store last week after telling the salesmen I wanted my new sofa delivered before 11th June so I could "sit back in comfort and watch England get pumped".:greengrin

Sylar
10-05-2010, 10:15 AM
It's fine - after we horse them in game 1, no amount of re-branded chocolate will "inspire" them :thumbsup:

hibsboy90
10-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Irrelevant anyway. They are not having their name changed this year. Just the packets colours. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2010/7632128/Mars-bar-to-change-colours-to-mark-World-Cup.html

Bad Martini
10-05-2010, 11:11 AM
What is this diddy competition in world football you all speak off? :confused:

Problem solved. :greengrin :cool2:

Gus
10-05-2010, 11:19 AM
It's fine - after we horse them in game 1, no amount of re-branded chocolate will "inspire" them :thumbsup:

:faf:
stop it

Bad Martini
10-05-2010, 11:22 AM
:faf:
stop it

Here, Gus....just to say a warm, heart felt and most sincere........

ABE :greengrin:cool2::rules::na na::saltireflag:Awright!:

ENDOF :thumbsup:

Hibercelona
10-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Is it not quite sad how football and other sports allow chocolate and fast food companies to sponsor them?

All it's doing is encouraging young children to stuff their faces with crap.

They should be promoting healthy living... not this rubbish!

Dinkydoo
10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
ABE :greengrin

Never really understood this one, Mars Bars are one of the most unhealthiest snacks around yet they frequently hold wee competitions giving away free footballs...etc

and now are using England being in the world cup to market thier product. :confused:

Other brands are now set to do the same....why don't we just put a ban in place that stops all companies from making money from a sporting event if their product contains X amount of fat?

Bad Martini
10-05-2010, 11:35 AM
Is it not quite sad how football and other sports allow chocolate and fast food companies to sponsor them?

I think Hibs should be sponsored by the Man from Del Monte....he's cool as ****, and makes some braw pineapple slices :greengrin

Bad Martini
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
ABE :greengrin

Never really understood this one, Mars Bars are one of the most unhealthiest snacks around yet they frequently hold wee competitions giving away free footballs...etc

and now are using England being in the world cup to market thier product. :confused:

Other brands are now set to do the same....why don't we just put a ban in place that stops all companies from making money from a sporting event if their product contains X amount of fat?

What aboot White & McKay? Tennents? McEwans?

They all make products that, whilst totally unhealthy, sponsor and pay for a lot of Scottish Football be it now, or in the past.

Bevvy sells well, pays for fitba = win/win.

Ye canny blame the manufacturers for whae buys thier pish....

All that said, Mars can still ram their bars up their erses :greengrin :grr:

Judas Iscariot
10-05-2010, 11:39 AM
We'd be exactly the same if our national set up was worth anything of note..

I hope they win it :agree:

Hibercelona
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM

:bitchy:

Dinkydoo
What aboot White & McKay? Tennents? McEwans?

They all make products that, whilst totally unhealthy, sponsor and pay for a lot of Scottish Football be it now, or in the past.

Bevvy sells well, pays for fitba = win/win.

Ye canny blame the manufacturers for whae buys thier pish....

All that said, Mars can still ram their bars up their erses :greengrin :grr:

Aye fair enough - forgot about that.

It's me and Wee_Hibee against the world then eh :faf:

Gus
Here, Gus....just to say a warm, heart felt and most sincere........

ABE :greengrin:cool2::rules::na na::saltireflag:Awright!:

ENDOF :thumbsup:

IF America do beat England, then it is only because they are a bigger country & have a bigger population

I will be more than happy to watch the England games with my fellow Hibs fans

:wink::devil:

Gus
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Good lad

(i'll square you up tonight)

Bad Martini
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM

Really? England winning the World Cup would be just like Hearts winning the Scottish Cup then - did you enjoy that? Our neighbours, parading the cup, banging on about it for years on end, banging on about OUR inability to win it?

It's the same thing with England and the World Cup....most of us (who are not insane haters of all things English) simply cannot be arsed with the whole "lets support our rivals" crap.

They ARE streets ahead of us footballing wise, but in terms of geography and ripping-the-pishability of our neighbours, they're just doon the road/at work/all over - same difference. We've all got mates who are English and such like - just like Yams - how much fun is it having yer mate rip ye when their team wins something???

Only the most hardened lunatic despises everything about England and the country, the people etc. That, is to be abhored...nae need and stupid behaviour.

BUT, their national fitba team, their chances of winning - too right. I hope they gubbed, just like, I wouldn't want the yams to win the Scottish Cup.

Same thing....

ABE :thumbsup::thumbsup:

livi hibbee 187
10-05-2010, 11:45 AM
this world cup thingy cant be a big cup or th **** from across the road would be it surly just a thought eh :blah:

Bad Martini
10-05-2010, 11:49 AM
IF America do beat England, then it is only because they are a bigger country & have a bigger population

I will be more than happy to watch the England games with my fellow Hibs fans

:wink::devil:

If you lot get beaten of the Americans, you can look forward to warm, heart-felt and totally proportionaite pelters on here, offline and indeed everywhere ye go cause "that's fair" ... :devil:

If you beat them, I'm phoning the White Hoose and advising auld Obama that youse have weapons of mass destruction, hiding right under Wembley and suggesting, when naebody's looking and abodys gone hame for the night, he nicks over wi the boys and sorts oot the new Wembley, leaving nothing but a smouldering pile of ash (and the Stars & Stripes stuck where yer centre spot used to be) with a wee note saying "be back in 10 years if/when ye build another one")

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

If Only
10-05-2010, 11:49 AM

Aye should be sponsored by something healthy like alcohol.!!!!

Gus
10-05-2010, 11:52 AM

If you lot get beaten of the Americans, you can look forward to warm, heart-felt and totally proportionaite pelters on here, offline and indeed everywhere ye go cause "that's fair" ... :devil:

If you beat them, I'm phoning the White Hoose and advising auld Obama that youse have weapons of mass destruction, hiding right under Wembley and suggesting, when naebody's looking and abodys gone hame for the night, he nicks over wi the boys and sorts oot the new Wembley, leaving nothing but a smouldering pile of ash (and the Stars & Stripes stuck where yer centre spot used to be) with a wee note saying "be back in 10 years if/when ye build another one")

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

The pitch cannae be any worst than it is:wink:

Of course I will be in line for some pelters, but until we DO get beat I will enjoy the moment

ArabHibee
10-05-2010, 11:55 AM

Of course I will be in line for some pelters, but until we DO get beat I will enjoy the moment

Hopefully that moment will be very short-lived. :greengrin

Sandy
10-05-2010, 11:56 AM

You must be on the wind up :bye:, **** that ABE.

Bad Martini
10-05-2010, 11:57 AM

Ach...pitch is crap/baw too roond/the first team players' ego is bigger than Hearts debt - its aw the same :greengrin

Just make sure you line up somebody to pin the blame on for the semi-final penalty fracas :devil:

Fair play to you mate. I do hope youse get horsed but thats nowt against ye....enjoy the fitba (though as I said before, what is this diddy "cup" you speak off? It's much like that year that has been erased between 65 and 67).

:devil:

Hibercelona
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Aye should be sponsored by something healthy like alcohol.!!!!

It wasn't just a pop at England, it's a pop towards all teams and sports.

I think the sponsorship of alcohol is also wrong.

Judas Iscariot
10-05-2010, 12:06 PM
Really? England winning the World Cup would be just like Hearts winning the Scottish Cup then - did you enjoy that? Our neighbours, parading the cup, banging on about it for years on end, banging on about OUR inability to win it?

It's the same thing with England and the World Cup....most of us (who are not insane haters of all things English) simply cannot be arsed with the whole "lets support our rivals" crap.

They ARE streets ahead of us footballing wise, but in terms of geography and ripping-the-pishability of our neighbours, they're just doon the road/at work/all over - same difference. We've all got mates who are English and such like - just like Yams - how much fun is it having yer mate rip ye when their team wins something???

Only the most hardened lunatic despises everything about England and the country, the people etc. That, is to be abhored...nae need and stupid behaviour.

BUT, their national fitba team, their chances of winning - too right. I hope they gubbed, just like, I wouldn't want the yams to win the Scottish Cup.

Same thing....

ABE :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Difference being I care very much so about Hibs where as I couldn't give 2 flying ****s about the Scottish National First Team as the GFA have ruined any interest I've had with there westcoast bias..

Plus, I don't know many English folk so the only ***** I'd get is from the TV and Papers, in that case, I'll turn over or not by the papers in question..

Woody1985
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I work at Sports Direct at the St. James centre, and there are deals on a whole load of England for the world cup t-shirts etc. I wonder if they'd ever consider doing the ABE T-shirts, they'd sell like wild fire probably.

Can you sell wild fire? :faf:

Sylar
10-05-2010, 12:23 PM

That WOULD be beneficial if it weren't the 6th or 7th most popular sport in the country :wink:

Bigger population, perhaps, but I'd be willing to bet that more people in the UK play soccer than in the US.

IF we beat you, it'll be because we're continuing our current run of good form - we've looked decent since our run in the Confederations and I'm not scared of anyone, especially not England :wink:

jakki
10-05-2010, 07:51 PM
FWIW my hubby has taken his holidays for the first fortnight of the WC.I told him he was balmy as he should have taken off the 2nd fortnight for the QFs, SFs and the final itself.He replied that he want to cheer England getting beat.

Yesterday we were shopping in ASDA and he shoved a Scottish tee shirt and shorts( not the official ones but mucho cheaper) into the trolley and he announced that he would be wearing them at every England game.

For someone who has never been to a Scotland game, that's dedication for hating all the hype around the England team.

.Sean.
10-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Mars Bars are ***** anyway.