PDA

View Full Version : Next Season we'll be on our own in third.

Hibbyradge
09-05-2010, 03:33 PM
At the very least.

Mon the Colin Nish. Mon the Yogi.

Mon the Hibs.

All together now, "This year I'm off to Sunny Spain..."

GIRFUY Yams.

:notworthy:

KWJ
09-05-2010, 04:25 PM
tee hee.

I hope we push Dundee Utd a bit further at least. They might be struggling without Webster and Levein for a full season too.

Hibbyradge
09-05-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm going to bet big on us without the old firm. Bigger than I did last August.

Bob Box Fish
09-05-2010, 06:06 PM
Is that third top or bottom though :devil:

Hibercelona
09-05-2010, 06:08 PM
It's far too difficult to call where Hibs are going to finish each season.

Could be 3rd... could be 10th or 11th. :dizzy:

But no 12th.... that will be reserved for our maroon pals. :greengrin

--------
09-05-2010, 06:11 PM
At the very least.

Mon the Hibs.

GIRFUY Yams.

My dear Radge-man, contain yourself.

You're in serious danger of being ineradicably branded a Happy Clapper. :wink:

greenlex
09-05-2010, 06:12 PM
All Motherwells decentian players will be away. Can Utd Hold onto their better players?
I reckon you could be right Dave. With a bit if luck at te right times you never k ow.

hfc rd
09-05-2010, 07:36 PM
We know that Motherwell are going to lose Jim O'Brien to Barnsley this summer. And hopefully they don't get Ruddy and Jutkiewictz again on loan next season. And with Any Webster returning to Rangers and with Garry Kenneth getting linked with clubs from England, then they might not have the solid defence that they have this season. And also can they hold onto their best players like Gomis, Conway and Goodwillie. If they lose their best players then we will have a chance of claiming third place. But we all know that we really need to strengthen the defence.

Danderhall Hibs
09-05-2010, 07:37 PM
All Motherwells decentian players will be away. Can Utd Hold onto their better players?
I reckon you could be right Dave. With a bit if luck at te right times you never k ow.

:agree: Webster's already away.

Hibercelona
09-05-2010, 07:38 PM
We know that Motherwell are going to lose Jim O'Brien to Barnsley this summer. And hopefully they don't get Ruddy and Jutkiewictz again on loan next season. And with Any Webster returning to Rangers and with Garry Kenneth getting linked with clubs from England, then they might not have the solid defence that they have this season. And also can they hold onto their best players like Gomis, Conway and Goodwillie. If they lose their best players then we will have a chance of claiming third place. But we all know that we really need to strengthen the defence.

The question is...

Can we hold on to Riordan, Stokes, Bamba & Miller etc..... all who are rumoured to be moving in the window.

PaulSmith
09-05-2010, 07:42 PM
The question is...

Can we hold on to Riordan, Stokes, Bamba & Miller etc..... all who are rumoured to be moving in the window.

That's up to the manager and the Board though, which is crucial as opposed to almost every other club in the SPL who are being forced to decrease their playing budget.

bingo70
09-05-2010, 07:45 PM
That's up to the manager and the Board though, which is crucial as opposed to almost every other club in the SPL who are being forced to decrease their playing budget.

Thats why IMO over the next few years we should be finishing 3rd a lot more regularly than we have been, also why it was a good time to build that stand now.

hfc rd
09-05-2010, 08:09 PM
The question is...

If we do decide to cash in on those players, then I think Hughes isn't going to sit back and do nothing about it. We will sign replacements and with us qualifying for Europe then we can attract decent players to the club.

Hibbyradge
10-05-2010, 07:14 AM
My dear Radge-man, contain yourself.

You're in serious danger of being ineradicably branded a Happy Clapper. :wink:

I've always been a Happy Clapper.

I was just an unhappy Happy Clapper for a few months. :wink:

With a magnificent new stand in place, a new wider pitch and new players, next season is going to be a blast!

Mon the Nishy. Mon the Yogi. Mon the Hibs. :thumbsup:

--------
10-05-2010, 08:36 AM
I've always been a Happy Clapper.

I was just an unhappy Happy Clapper for a few months. :wink:

With a magnificent new stand in place, a new wider pitch and new players, next season is going to be a blast!

Mon the Nishy. Mon the Yogi. Mon the Hibs. :thumbsup:

Well, clap, on, Radge-man.

A wee bird told me that before the Wigan game Carlo Ancelotti went into the Chelsea dressing-room with our last two match-reports, took Drogba aside, and told him, "See, Didier - Big Nish has scored 5 in the last two games, against formidable opposition. You too can do this thing. Go out and get me a hat-trick!"

And Didier did.

erskine-hibby
10-05-2010, 09:22 AM
At the very least.

Mon the Hibs.

GIRFUY Yams.

Nothing like setting youself up for a fall.:wink:

Hope you are correct:greengrin

IWasThere2016
10-05-2010, 09:59 AM
A wee bird told me that before the Wigan game Carlo Ancelotti went into the Chelsea dressing-room with our last two match-reports, took Drogba aside, and told him, "See, Didier - Big Nish has scored 5 in the last two games, against formidable opposition. You too can do this thing. Go out and get me a hat-trick!"

And Didier did.

True story. If DD didnae get his hat-trick Chelski were considering a swoop for Big Single Fish :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
10-05-2010, 10:29 AM
So, we win three games in three months, and we are on track to be best of the rest next season?

Andy74
10-05-2010, 10:40 AM
So, we win three games in three months, and we are on track to be best of the rest next season?

Yes.

The team is still short of certain tpyes of players in some positions but even so we were well clear of the rest for 2/3 of the season.

We then got hit heavily by injuries, Bamba missing for a few weeks and other bits and pieces. Oue performance during that period is not really a guide as to how we will perform next season once the squad is fresh and fit again.

If anything the fact we can come through that and still be in 4th shows the potential once we sort out the depth of the squad a bit. There's every reason to suggest that we can more easily sustain the results we had earlier in the season for a longer period.

Guys like Miller and Stokes will also have had a full season behind them for the first time in a few years.

I'm still amazed so many supporters can look at the last few weeks and honestly think that's the way a fully fit Hibs team would perform.

There's been a lot to take from this season and its of great comfort to me that this was achieved with a squad which Hughes will also still believe is miles away from where we all want it to be.

--------
10-05-2010, 10:53 AM
True story. If DD didnae get his hat-trick Chelski were considering a swoop for Big Single Fish :agree:

I believe that Ancelotti's considering a move for the big guy.

"I can confidently say that Big Colin represents the sort of threat that no English or European defender has ever encountered before. He is a new kind of striker - revolutionary and absolutely unique. He is one of a kind."

Money's no problem, but Yogi's looking for an exchange deal for a right-back and a centre-half. :agree:

Phil D. Rolls
10-05-2010, 10:57 AM
There's been a lot to take from this season and its of great comfort to me that this was achieved with a squad which Hughes will also still believe is miles away from where we all want it to be.

We'll know soon enough whether Yogi is the man for the job. For me, he's put a massive question mark next to his name with what's been going on the last few months.

Andy74
10-05-2010, 11:24 AM
We'll know soon enough whether Yogi is the man for the job. For me, he's put a massive question mark next to his name with what's been going on the last few months.

So what's been going on do you think that has been down to Hughes?

As far as I'm aware he didn't injure Zemmama, McBride and Stack, didn't send Bamba away to the African Nations voluntarily and didn't drive a tractor over the pitch.

He also didn't take experience away from Hanlon and Wotherspoon.

Despite the fact he seems to be tactically inpet by all accounts I've yet to see a single post over the last 3 months telling me anyhting that could have been done that much fifferently with the players we had and the level of fitness or otherwise that they were carrying.

I'm not sure how many posters on here have taken a first division side, got them promoted, kept then in the SPL for 5 yrs or so, got them to two league cup semis, a Scottish cup final and into Europe then taken over an SPL team who had been sixth for a couple of years, had them in third place for two thirds of the season and ended up fourth and in Europe.

If there are any please let them be known and I'll listen to them about what Hughes should be doing.

--------
10-05-2010, 11:27 AM

I'm content with the final result this season as far as the league goes. The Cups we should have done better.

The questions I still have are:

Will Yogi use the close season to fill the gaps in the squad we all know are there in defence and midfield? Or will he sign another three goalies and a couple more strikers?
Will we see a bit more tactical awareness from him in team selection and use of substitutes?
There are rumours of issues among the players that he needs to sort out. If the rumours are true, the issues need to be resolved; if untrue, they need to be laid to rest. (I don't think anyone is comfortable with the current rumours that his most-favoured striker is a boozer with a gambling problem, for example.)
Fitness needs to be addressed. We have a top-class training facility. I would like to see more concrete evidence of that fact in the team's performance. Certain players seem to me to be much less than fully match-fit, and I'm not referring to those who've just come back from injury. Others seem to be using East Mains to good effect.

A lot of this relates to squad discipline and the cultivation of a proper professional attitude among the players. I'm not convinced that that's happening right now.

That said, we DID have a fair number of injuries around the middle of the season which along with Bamba's absence in Angola and the usual late-season suspensions did give us problems. Losing Stack, Bamba, Zouma and McBride all at one time as we did would have caused problems for any SPL team, Miller was out too, and Hogg has had back problems for a while - we didn't have our troubles to seek.

But again - why do we have so many players suffering stubborn, niggling injuries when we have these facilities available?

But 2 places higher in the league, a positive GD, a place in the Europa qualifying... Back him or sack him? Back him. :agree:

Bad Martini
10-05-2010, 11:32 AM
So what's been going on do you think that has been down to Hughes?

As far as I'm aware he didn't injure Zemmama, McBride and Stack, didn't send Bamba away to the African Nations voluntarily and didn't drive a tractor over the pitch.

He also didn't take experience away from Hanlon and Wotherspoon.

Despite the fact he seems to be tactically inpet by all accounts I've yet to see a single post over the last 3 months telling me anyhting that could have been done that much fifferently with the players we had and the level of fitness or otherwise that they were carrying.

I'm not sure how many posters on here have taken a first division side, got them promoted, kept then in the SPL for 5 yrs or so, got them to two league cup semis, a Scottish cup final and into Europe then taken over an SPL team who had been sixth for a couple of years, had them in third place for two thirds of the season and ended up fourth and in Europe.

If there are any please let them be known and I'll listen to them about what Hughes should be doing.

Some of what you say is actually quite valid.

The point is where we COULD have been....whether or not Yogi got us there, meant it, or where luck had a part to play or not is BESIDE the point - we were sitting far more easily in the league, the Scottish Cup, the Motherwell game and many other occassions where we have either:
1) Taken the hard way...
2) Thrown it away..........

The point here is, we could have done things the easy way. We could have taken wins where we scraped a draw. We could have tied up Europe much sooner. We SHOULD have had the bottle to beat Ross County...........its fair to say what he done was good (if he's to be accountable for all our success - I read on here the players are to blame when it all goes wrong, the manager is to be praised when it all goes right - canny have it both ways and the reality is, its often a bit of both)......

Im delighted we are where we are. Lets just think how much easier it could have been, our best chance on the Scottish Cup run in years and where we could have been had we had the balls to finish the job..................we have lacked guile for a long time and I grant ye that started with Mixu...the point is, Yogi hasn't sorted the inability for Hibs to kill of a game/team and THAT has been the difference in lots of games this season.

However, we're in Europe and we COULD progress if everyone, including Yogi, LEARNS from the mistakes of this season.:agree:

Scooter
10-05-2010, 11:32 AM
its all well Utd and well losing players but what about us. if we lose Stokes, Deek and Bamba.

thats 39 goals (i think) and our cork at the back

cwilliamson85
10-05-2010, 11:34 AM
If rangers dont get a buyer who is to say we wont finish above them?

Andy74
10-05-2010, 12:04 PM
its all well Utd and well losing players but what about us. if we lose Stokes, Deek and Bamba.

thats 39 goals (i think) and our cork at the back

If we lose all them we have about £5m to spend.

erskine-hibby
10-05-2010, 12:07 PM
If we lose all them we have about £5m to spend.

Not on players though.
Historically only a very small percentage of transfer money goes into buying replacements.

Jack
10-05-2010, 12:49 PM

Comparing the last 10 years to this year …

We were 4th in the league – only 2 times have we done better.

We won 15 games – only 3 times have we won more.

We lost 14 games – only 3 times have we lost fewer.

We scored 58 goals – only 2 times have we scored more.

We conceded 55 – only 4 times have we conceded fewer.

We won 54 points – our 4th highest total in the last 10 years.

You have to say overall its been a successful league campaign, particularly when you consider Yogi did his best to lodge in 95% of our thick skulls at the beginning of the season it would be a long road to success.

We’re going to loose a few players over the summer as always but I’m reasonably confident those who will come in will make a better team and we can improve as a club.

This is progress.

Andy74
10-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Not on players though.
Historically only a very small percentage of transfer money goes into buying replacements.

Aye and historically we are p1sh but it hasn't stopped you expecting something different has it?

There's no way are losing Bamba, Riordan AND Stokes but if we do we will see a significant amount at the very least in decent wages, replacing these players and adding further to the squad.

erskine-hibby
10-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Aye and historically we are p1sh but it hasn't stopped you expecting something different has it?
There's no way are losing Bamba, Riordan AND Stokes but if we do we will see a significant amount at the very least in decent wages, replacing these players and adding further to the squad.

Totally irrelavent.

You stated we would have £5m to spend, I just pointed out if that were the case that we won't. As usual you all defensive if anything that upsets your rosy view of anything Hibs:rolleyes:

Andy74
10-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Totally irrelavent.

You stated we would have £5m to spend, I just pointed out if that were the case that we won't. As usual you all defensive if anything that upsets your rosy view of anything Hibs:rolleyes:

We would have £5m to spend if they were all sold for the fees I'd expect.

Them possibly going was mentioned as being a problem. It would only be a big problem if they went and we had nothing to replace them with.

The fees they would bring in, as we are in good financial shpe, would be able to be spent by us as we see fit, that is not the case for other teams.

We may spend some of it on further developing the academy, we could pay some transfer fees and we could gently increase the budget.

We got players like Bamba, Riordan, Stokes and Miller on our existing budget. Add another £5m to the club and that would only mean even more leeway to bring in more quality players.

BEEJ
10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
We would have £5m to spend if they were all sold for the fees I'd expect.

Them possibly going was mentioned as being a problem. It would only be a big problem if they went and we had nothing to replace them with.

The fees they would bring in, as we are in good financial shpe, would be able to be spent by us as we see fit, that is not the case for other teams.

We may spend some of it on further developing the academy, we could pay some transfer fees and we could gently increase the budget.

There is the cost of the East Stand to pay off (no, RP doesn't have £4m sitting in a jam jar somewhere) plus some residual debt.

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2010, 05:21 PM
There is the cost of the East Stand to pay off (no, RP doesn't have £4m sitting in a jam jar somewhere) plus some residual debt.

Is that true? I thought we had the money for the stand?:confused:

Jack
10-05-2010, 05:25 PM

It might not be sitting in a jam jar but the funding is in place now – without any dipping into current or anticipated transfer fees.

Ed De Gramo
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
At the very least.

Mon the Hibs.

GIRFUY Yams.

Sorry to pish on your parade and all that....

But isn't there another thread on here where we're mocking the yams for saying that exact thing?

Hibbyradge
10-05-2010, 06:51 PM

But isn't there another thread on here where we're mocking the yams for saying that exact thing?

And so there should be.

They have no chance of being third.

We, on the other hand, will strengthen.

Ed De Gramo
10-05-2010, 06:51 PM
And so there should be.

They have no chance of being third.

We, on the other hand, will strengthen.

They said exactly that last season as well....

blackpoolhibs
10-05-2010, 06:58 PM

Hook line and sinker. :faf:

BEEJ
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM

Is that true? I thought we had the money for the stand?:confused:
Could you show me where the money sits in the 2009 accounts?

The 08/09 accounts show Cash of £2.95m and Debtors of £1.85m. Included in there somewhere is the money received pre 31 July 2009 for 09/10 season ticket sales. Even modest estimates would put that figure at £3m.

Those advance sales have to be released over the 09/10 season to pay for operational spend which the rest of the income stream on its own would be unable to fund.

So it's not easy to see immediately from the latest set of published accounts where £4m is sitting to pay for the East Stand. There could well be £1m or so in there; but the balance has still to be found.

It might not be sitting in a jam jar but the funding is in place now – without any dipping into current or anticipated transfer fees.
That phrase actually means that facilities are in place to provide the means to pay for the construction - that could include a loan facility, should one be required. Should the club have to borrow, debt obviously goes up.

What I think will happen instead is that one or two player sales this summer will pay off the balance of the East Stand (unless a recent lottery winner has volunteered to stump up the readies instead :greengrin)

Just a reminder of a quote from RP back on 14 Sepember 2008 - key phrase highlighted:

Turning to the issue of a new East Stand, Rod Petrie said “The Board continues to explore the cost and viability of a new East Stand. The Club’s current cash resources are insufficient to pay for the sort of new stand everyone would want. The Board intends to ring fence a substantial portion of its cash resources to contribute to an appropriate new East Stand when the time is right.

I realise that there have been more recent quotes (ie 2009) on this from Scott Lindsey. But unless there is a source of third-party funding as yet unrevealed to the masses, I believe these quotes have been misinterpreted.