PDA

View Full Version : Scott Thomson - GK Coach

Hibby Kay-Yay
09-05-2010, 01:39 PM
After the last few games where Yogi has been getting it tight for his choice in Goalkeeper(s) or what has been described as the "GK Academy", why has our GK Coach received little to no flak for the current state of our keepers?

I'm not trying to point the finger of blame here but what has been interesting is that when we had Marshall as GK coach, he was the target of all the abuse, not Mowbray/Collins/Mixu.

Yet when our current crop of keepers under perform the finger of blame points to Yogi?

Are people so blinded with their opinion of Yogi that they will blame him for everything?

Why are we not looking at Scott Thomson or asking the question of the role he plays?

It looks a bit contradictory when we currently blame the manager when previously we blamed the GK coach.

--------
09-05-2010, 01:48 PM
After the last few games where Yogi has been getting it tight for his choice in Goalkeeper(s) or what has been described as the "GK Academy", why has our GK Coach received little to no flak for the current state of our keepers?

I'm not trying to point the finger of blame here but what has been interesting is that when we had Marshall as GK coach, he was the target of all the abuse, not Mowbray/Collins/Mixu.

Yet when our current crop of keepers under perform the finger of blame points to Yogi?

Are people so blinded with their opinion of Yogi that they will blame him for everything?

Why are we not looking at Scott Thomson or asking the question of the role he plays?

It looks a bit contradictory when we currently blame the manager when previously we blamed the GK coach.

Can't quite see how Scott can be to blame for Brown and Stack being injured, or Yogi not trusting Maka.

There's not a keeper alive who could have excelled behind our defence on Wednesday evening.

Danderhall Hibs
09-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Can't quite see how Scott can be to blame for Brown and Stack being injured, or Yogi not trusting Maka.

There's not a keeper alive who could have excelled behind our defence on Wednesday evening.

He didn't have to excel though, if he'd done the basics we'd have won comfortably.

McD
09-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Think its more to do with signing multiple goalies when we had other more urgent needs in the team.

Viva_Palmeiras
09-05-2010, 03:52 PM
What % of confidence/psychology applies to GKs performance ?

And if it is the limiting factor on performance all other things equal (not a midget, flexible, good vision etc) surely having a crowd that have become nervous wrecks (with reason) over the seasons just adds to the pressure.

So how long will it take to transform the support from nervous wrecks to a little bit more confident? 6-6 didn't help...

Danderhall Hibs
09-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Think its more to do with signing multiple goalies when we had other more urgent needs in the team.

If he hadn't signed keepers who would have been playing on Wednesday night?

McD
09-05-2010, 04:18 PM
If he hadn't signed keepers who would have been playing on Wednesday night?

Not saying I agree with the thought process of putting the boot into Hughes regarding signing 3 keepers, just answering the initial question.

To answer your own question, I'd say its likely Maka wouldve played midweek, had Smith not been at the club. And bearing in mind the dogs abuse Smith has attracted since Wednesday, goodness knows what wouldve happened if Maka had conceded 6. As it happens, I was quite chuffed when we signed Smith, and was really chuffed that we got Mark Brown (whether Hughes is/was expecting to lose Stack as well as Maka is open for debate, as is the decision to sign 2 first team level keepers in January).

I also think Smith had a total 'mare on Wednesday, and that 'wells 5th goal was a foul on Smith, but Thomson should be being posed the same questions as Marshall regarding Smiths performance in the same way Marshall did with Zibi, Brown, Maka and MacNeil.

Danderhall Hibs
09-05-2010, 04:20 PM
To answer your own question, I'd say its likely Maka wouldve played

Exactly - that's why he signed goalies! :greengrin

I also think Smith had a total 'mare on Wednesday, and that 'wells 5th goal was a foul on Smith, but Thomson should be being posed the same questions as Marshall regarding Smiths performance in the same way Marshall did with Zibi, Brown, Maka and MacNeil.

:agree: Agreed.

McD
09-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Exactly - that's why he signed goalies! :greengrin

:agree: Agreed.

:greengrin

As I said, chuffed he signed them, despite Wednesdays nightmare, I think it made a huge statement of intent to the rest of the league signing 2 established and well known keepers.

lapsedhibee
09-05-2010, 04:38 PM

You raise the tricky question of whether a deceased keeper might have done better than Smithy on Wednesday. :hmmm: