PDA

View Full Version : Coaches to blame for 12 goal farce

hibs0666
09-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Ian Bell article in the Sunday Herald (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/hibernian/coaches-to-blame-for-12-goal-farce-1.1026242)

Very good article. In summary:

- that game was an embarrassment
- coaches to blame for such poor quality.

Beefster
09-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Ian Bell's wrong. It wasn't anything to do with Hughes, his training that leaves them looking unfit, the system that makes them look like they haven't got a clue what to do, the subs or anything else that could be linked back to Hughes.

bingo70
09-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Ian Bell's wrong. It wasn't anything to do with Hughes, his training that leaves them looking unfit, the system that makes them look like they haven't got a clue what to do, the subs or anything else that could be linked back to Hughes.

They must have had some sort of a clue to score six goals though :wink:

Hibernian Verse
09-05-2010, 11:29 AM
They must have had some sort of a clue to score six goals though :wink:

I disagree. We'd have never have scored any of those goals if it wasn't for shocking defending. IIRC all 6 were low balls into the box, any other team would've just cleared them.

Allant1981
09-05-2010, 11:30 AM
in all honesty can you really blame anyone but the players for each team conceding 6 goals. Its always east to blame the manager but when you are 6 goals up you should be controlling the game, not playing as though you are the team getting humped. There is only so much a guy standing on the side of a football pitch can do. Encourage your players yes but you should be able to trust your players to defend a 4 goal lead

Allant1981
09-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I disagree. We'd have never have scored any of those goals if it wasn't for shocking defending. IIRC all 6 were low balls into the box, any other team would've just cleared them.

how do you come to that? have you not seen any other team in scotland score from a low cross

Hibernian Verse
09-05-2010, 11:32 AM
how do you come to that? have you not seen any other team in scotland score from a low cross

No, I should have maybe said clear them after being undone by them twice in the first 20 mins. You'd have thought they'd be ready for the next four.

bingo70
09-05-2010, 11:35 AM

Thats probably the most negative thing i've ever read on here :greengrin

we score 6 goals in a game away from home but they don't count because they were low crosses :hilarious

Allant1981
09-05-2010, 11:36 AM
No, I should have maybe said clear them after being undone by them twice in the first 20 mins. You'd have thought they'd be ready for the next four.

aye probably but id look at it as good attacking play from hibs rather than bad defending! hibs on the other hand were terrible at defending and it wasnt good attacking play from well!!!!

Hibernian Verse
09-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Thats probably the most negative thing i've ever read on here :greengrin

we score 6 goals in a game away from home but they don't count because they were low crosses :hilarious

I don't see where I said they don't count, I just said that a better team, as just pointed out on Goals on Sunday, would've most likely cleared at least 3 of them. Then again, if you look the goals we lost you could say that all 6 were avoidable in one way or another. I've completely lost track - if we qualify today I'll stop being negative.

bingo70
09-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't see where I said they don't count, I just said that a better team, as just pointed out on Goals on Sunday, would've most likely cleared at least 3 of them. Then again, if you look the goals we lost you could say that all 6 were avoidable in one way or another. I've completely lost track - if we qualify today I'll stop being negative.

Almost every goal ever scored is avoidable with proper defending.

i know you didn't say they didn't count, i meant by your refusal to give some sort of credit to the manager they didn't count, if that makes sense

i wasn't meaning to sound like a dick with that comment about being negative, just thought it was funny :greengrin

Hibernian Verse
09-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Almost every goal ever scored is avoidable with proper defending.

i know you didn't say they didn't count, i meant by your refusal to give some sort of credit to the manager they didn't count, if that makes sense

i wasn't meaning to sound like a dick with that comment about being negative, just thought it was funny :greengrin

It's natural to look at the negatives and find someone to blame and try to sort them out, positives often are forgotten especially when we lose 6 goals due to awful goalkeeping.

bingo70
09-05-2010, 11:48 AM
It's natural to look at the negatives and find someone to blame and try to sort them out, positives often are forgotten especially when we lose 6 goals due to awful goalkeeping.

so was it the goalkeeping or the tactics?

Hibernian Verse
09-05-2010, 11:51 AM
so was it the goalkeeping or the tactics?

Definately goalkeeping.

Although if you read back on my posts I haven't slated Hughes in this thread for his tactics OR coaching...I was having a go at Motherwell's defending :greengrin

--------
09-05-2010, 12:11 PM
Ian Bell article in the Sunday Herald (http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/hibernian/coaches-to-blame-for-12-goal-farce-1.1026242)

Very good article. In summary:

- that game was an embarrassment
- coaches to blame for such poor quality.

:agree: The quality of defending was on a par with the quality of the pitch they were playing on. Hibs forwards - Miller, Riordan, Nish and Stokes, that is - were playing some nice passing moves in the first hour, but that ended when Miller ran out of steam and Riordan was hooked. Motherwell's response (Granpaw's masterplan) was mostly to start hoofing high balls down the park at our altitudinally-challenged centre-backs. The subtlety of this tactic completely bamboozled our manager and players, and we lost four and could have lost more.

I don't know whether the root problem is a lack of good coaching, or an unwillingness on the part of Scottish footballers to receive good coaching.

The only decent coaches around Fir Park on Wednesday evening were the buses Hibs and their fans turned up in.

Danderhall Hibs
09-05-2010, 12:19 PM

I've always said Craig Brown was clueless.

Greenblood70
09-05-2010, 12:31 PM
:agree: The quality of defending was on a par with the quality of the pitch they were playing on. Hibs forwards - Miller, Riordan, Nish and Stokes, that is - were playing some nice passing moves in the first hour, but that ended when Miller ran out of steam and Riordan was hooked. Motherwell's response (Granpaw's masterplan) was mostly to start hoofing high balls down the park at our altitudinally-challenged centre-backs. The subtlety of this tactic completely bamboozled our manager and players, and we lost four and could have lost more.

I don't know whether the root problem is a lack of good coaching, or an unwillingness on the part of Scottish footballers to receive good coaching.

The only decent coaches around Fir Park on Wednesday evening were the buses Hibs and their fans turned up in.

:top marks:agree:

Either way Scottish football is currently a laughing stock.

Woody1985
09-05-2010, 03:38 PM

This confuses me.

The squad are constantly criticised for being out on the piss and not having the correct lifestyle, yet when they're unfit it is because of the training sessions put in place by the club.

How come Rankin and some others always look really fit, their training mustn't go too badly.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
09-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Thats absolute bulls~~t mate.

Look at Arsenal, they score most of their goals from low crosses - must just be crap defending.

I have no problem with people criticising Hughes, but the people who do it with stupid points like yours only show that you cant see past your own bias.

Just like the folk who go on about the players not being fit - do these keyboard fitness coaches really think they know better than Rice (who played under Clough), Hughes, Gareth Evans and our fitness coaches, one of whom is a sports science uni lecturer?

Absolute clowns imo

Iggy Pope
09-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Now is yer chance - fill yer boots greety-face :greengrin

lapsedhibee
09-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Just like the folk who go on about the players not being fit - do these keyboard fitness coaches really think they know better than Rice (who played under Clough), Hughes, Gareth Evans and our fitness coaches, one of whom is a sports science uni lecturer?

Absolute clowns imo

Does it not look to you as if the team (as a whole) is less fit under Hughes/Rice than it was under Collins/Craig?