PDA

View Full Version : Why the split should be canned

cwilliamson85
09-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Not for the first season the team finishing the top of he bottom half of the split could end with more points that the bottom team of the top half.

What a joke!

:faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf::faf:

Chuckie
09-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Not for the first season the team finishing the top of he bottom half of the split could end with more points that the bottom team of the top half.

What a joke!

Oh my sides...

500miles
09-05-2010, 08:23 AM
That's not really the issue, they are playing against poorer opposition.

The split should be canned, and replaced by an 18 team league where teams play each other twice a year instead of having to play the same teams over and over again.

Brooster
09-05-2010, 08:28 AM

The split should be canned, and replaced by an 18 team league where teams play each other twice a year instead of having to play the same teams over and over again.

And how many boring/meaningless games would that produce from about February onwards?

johnrebus
09-05-2010, 08:29 AM

What a joke!

After the split the SPL is - in effect - two separate leagues.

:cool2:

MyJo
09-05-2010, 08:38 AM

as has already been pointed out that would mean only 2 old firm games a season which will certainly not be allowed to happen.

The best format I can come up with to resolve this is a 16 team league playing each other twice (30 games) then splitting the league into 4 mini leagues based on league position (1st to 4th, 5th to 8th, 9th to 12th and 13th to 16th) and playing another round of games within the mini leagues (6 games)

gives a 36 game season with every team playing the same amount of games and (assuming the old firm finish in the top 4 every season) 4 old firm games to keep the SFA and tv companies happy.

I also think it would be good to spice things up a bit and wipe all the points from teams when they go into mini leagues so all 4 team in the top mini league have an even chance to win the title and qualify for the champions league.....the same goes for the bottom 4 to make both title and relegation battles really exciting :agree:

TariqE
09-05-2010, 10:07 AM

What a joke!

Has this ever not happened?

The split means this scenario is more likely than not- the top team in the bottom six is likely to have won more games in the post-split fixtures than the team bottom of the top six.

StevieC
09-05-2010, 10:18 AM

I would expect this to happen pretty much every season.

:dunno:

I think that a bigger league and only playing teams home and away once is the way forward.

And how many boring/meaningless games would that produce from about February onwards?

You mean like they have in the Premiership, and most of the top leagues throughout Europe?

:rolleyes:

Hibee87
09-05-2010, 10:23 AM
as has already been pointed out that would mean only 2 old firm games a season which will certainly not be allowed to happen.

The best format I can come up with to resolve this is a 16 team league playing each other twice (30 games) then splitting the league into 4 mini leagues based on league position (1st to 4th, 5th to 8th, 9th to 12th and 13th to 16th) and playing another round of games within the mini leagues (6 games)

gives a 36 game season with every team playing the same amount of games and (assuming the old firm finish in the top 4 every season) 4 old firm games to keep the SFA and tv companies happy.

I also think it would be good to spice things up a bit and wipe all the points from teams when they go into mini leagues so all 4 team in the top mini league have an even chance to win the title and qualify for the champions league.....the same goes for the bottom 4 to make both title and relegation battles really exciting :agree:

why give the bigot bro's what they want? it angers me when the best scenario for scottish football to make it better is a 18 team league yet i keep hearing the o/f wont agree to it cause they want 4 games each, it taks us back to the old argument of if they want to play each other all the time let them an dthe rest of us fluck off and set up our own league im fed up,and im sure the majority of scottish football fans are, of the o/f always dictating and getting there own way.

bingo70
09-05-2010, 10:25 AM
I would expect this to happen pretty much every season.

:dunno:

I think that a bigger league and only playing teams home and away once is the way forward.

You mean like they have in the Premiership, and most of the top leagues throughout Europe?

:rolleyes:

We're not a big country or a big league though, the premiership can afford to do it as they've got enough big clubs to cope with it so i don't think we should be trying to copy them, i'm not sure what other countries do but i'd like us to have a look at similiar sized nations and try and see if we can copy them.

I think there is something to work with with regards to the split, in such an uncompetitive league at least we're trying to do something to keep an interest for the other teams all season, look at hearts for example, if it wasn't for the split theyre season would have been over in february :greengrin

bingo70
09-05-2010, 10:27 AM
why give the bigot bro's what they want? it angers me when the best scenario for scottish football to make it better is a 18 team league yet i keep hearing the o/f wont agree to it cause they want 4 games each, it taks us back to the old argument of if they want to play each other all the time let them an dthe rest of us fluck off and set up our own league im fed up,and im sure the majority of scottish football fans are, of the o/f always dictating and getting there own way.

It's not actually them thats causing the bother i think, it's clubs like kilmarnock that rely on multiple visits from the old firm that won't vote for an 18 team league.

snooky
09-05-2010, 10:32 AM

:agree: A big opportunity missed a few years ago when the "provincial" clubs had the OF biting their fingernails off. Alas, the 5th columnists in our bloc put paid to us setting up a new league that would be fair to ALL teams.

I'm annoyed to this day that it didn't happen. :grr:

JE89
09-05-2010, 11:12 AM

I don't understand why so many people want this. Season ticket sales would plummet as we would play Rangers, Celtic and Hearts once a season at Easter Road. The rest would be filled up with games against dross. No thanks

bingo70
09-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't understand why so many people want this. Season ticket sales would plummet as we would play Rangers, Celtic and Hearts once a season at Easter Road. The rest would be filled up with games against dross. No thanks

I know what you mean, i don't think it's as simple as making it an 18 team league either, however i think these big games you mentioned are being devalued by the fact they are happening so often.

Not sure what the answer is though :dunno:

NAE NOOKIE
09-05-2010, 12:19 PM
The fact that the split means the team in 7th may have more points than the team in 6th or even 5th doesnt really matter too much. As somebody else said here its in effect two leagues.

16 teams is the way to go, with an 8 x 8 split

--------
09-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I know what you mean, i don't think it's as simple as making it an 18 team league either, however i think these big games you mentioned are being devalued by the fact they are happening so often.

Not sure what the answer is though :dunno:

The product needs to be improved throughout the SPL.

That means better players on view at all the stadiums; closer and more competitive games; a closer and more competitive league; more financial investment in the smaller clubs; better 'packaging' of the games - presentation, media coverage, reporting, that is....

Until football in Scotland is seen as a 'good day out' with the fans treated as valued customers rather than hooligans to be policed and controlled to the point of oppression, we'll get nowhere.

Cropley10
09-05-2010, 12:31 PM

What a joke!

So Hearts have finished 7th then?:confused: