PDA

View Full Version : Leicester City Legend Bobby Smith

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I am missing Tannadice to drive to Leicester from Galashiels to support the Foxes in the Play Offs on Sunday against Cardiff. A 500 mile round trip but worth it.

I will wear my Hibs top at The Walkers in respect of much missed legend Bobby Smith

Please add a note of support for Bobby Smith - LCFC & HIBERNIAN LEGEND & Nice genuine all round good guy!!!!!!!!

sauzee
07-05-2010, 09:00 PM
I am missing Tannadice to drive to Leicester from Galashiels to support the Foxes in the Play Offs on Sunday against Cardiff. A 500 mile round trip but worth it.

I will wear my Hibs top at The Walkers in respect of much missed legend Bobby Smith

Please add a note of support for Bobby Smith - LCFC & HIBERNIAN LEGEND & Nice genuine all round good guy!!!!!!!!

good hibby and proper gent :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 09:02 PM
good hibby and proper gent :thumbsup::thumbsup:

cheers mate - he is a legend in Leicester, all the guys rave about him

Phil D. Rolls
07-05-2010, 09:04 PM
I never met Bobby, but a friend who used to train with Hibs in the 70s used to rave about what an inspiration he was to the youngsters. He would always take the time to explain things to them.

In fact everyone I know who met him only had good things to say.

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 09:07 PM
I never met Bobby, but a friend who used to train with Hibs in the 70s used to rave about what an inspiration he was to the youngsters. He would always take the time to explain things to them.

I was fortunate enough to meet him once at Filbert Street, once in The Granary (boozer at Queensferry Street) with fellow ex City player Paul Ramsey and once at Airdrie-Hibs at Broadwood - a gentleman and genuine guy

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 09:27 PM
for the youngsters on hibs.net that think who was Bobby Smith ? - he was the Ian Murray / Pat McGinlay / Mathias Jack of the 70's and 80's - honest, committed and a true Hi-bee who would walk through walls for the Club, unlike some of the imposters we have seen in recent years/months/days - at Fir Park

Bayern Bru
07-05-2010, 09:30 PM
for the youngsters on hibs.net that think who was Bobby Smith ? - he was the Ian Murray / Pat McGinlay / Mathias Jack of the 70's and 80's - honest, committed and a true Hi-bee who would walk through walls for the Club, unlike some of the imposters we have seen in recent years/months/days - at Fir Park

Well said. He was a good friend of my uncle, who used to rave about what a good guy Bobby was, and I think everyone who supports Hibs will be aware of his influence on the younger players and the fact that he was just an all round good guy.

Good luck in the playoff too.

Jonnyboy
07-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Bobby had three spells at Hibs (one on a loan basis) and was universally liked by the Hibs support as a good all round player who rarely let you down. Was a Hibby too and could often be seen at ER right up to his untimely death.

Gala, good on you

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Well said. He was a good friend of my uncle, who used to rave about what a good guy Bobby was, and I think everyone who supports Hibs will be aware of his influence on the younger players and the fact that he was just an all round good guy.

Good luck in the playoff too.

cheers mate - gala hibs flag will be in the main stand at leicester

Bostonhibby
07-05-2010, 09:38 PM

Just had a wee rush of memories there GF. Although Bobby moved back into a deeper role latterly particularly at full back if I remember rightly, I can just see him being exactly what wasn't there on Wednesday night. Top all round player and when I lived in Leicester I did get a bit of satisfaction seeing that he went on to do as well there as he did with us. Enjoy your day.

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 09:41 PM
oh for a stanton, jack, sauzee, schaedler, George Stewart, mcginlay, wright, Bobby Smith, , kano, mickey weir, brownlie, blackley just now to supplement Ian Murray in our spineless team

Phil D. Rolls
07-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Who could forget that 30 yard screamer against a West Edinburgh Bowling Club's Select circa 1976?

hibeeleicester
07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
Why no wait until the summer?

Bostonhibby
07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
oh for a stanton, jack, sauzee, schaedler, George Stewart, mcginlay, wright, Bobby Smith, , kano, mickey weir, brownlie, blackley just now to supplement Ian Murray in our spineless team

Or in the current situation one John MacNamee :wink:

Jonnyboy
07-05-2010, 09:44 PM
Or in the current situation one John MacNamee :wink:

Now that would stiffen up our defence :greengrin

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Now that would stiffen up our defence :greengrin

Schaedler alone would have terminated an average Motherwell side - he is worth 11 Liam Millers

Bostonhibby
07-05-2010, 09:52 PM
casting back through my dodgy memory I think Bobby maybe got as far as being captain of the promoted Leicester City team that included Gary Lineker, Steve Lynex, and Maybe Alan Smith to name a few. Jock Wallace was manager (?) Bobby was that type of inspirational player on the pitch.

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 09:56 PM
casting back through my dodgy memory I think Bobby maybe got as far as being captain of the promoted Leicester City team that included Gary Lineker, Steve Lynex, and Maybe Alan Smith to name a few. Jock Wallace was manager (?) Bobby was that type of inspirational player on the pitch.

correct Boston Hibby - Bobby was captain when Alan Smith joined City from non league Alvechurch as an ex carpet fitter and played alongside 17 year old Lineker.

My 80's highlights are The Jam / Two Tone / LCFC storming the old 2nd Division / Dexys / Edinburgh West HSC / Schaed's coming back to E R / and Colin Harris & Mickey Weir beating the Huns at Ibrox in 82

Bostonhibby
07-05-2010, 10:00 PM
correct Boston Hibby - Bobby was captain when Alan Smith joined City from non league Alvechurch as an ex carpet fitter and played alongside 17 year old Lineker.

My 80's highlights are The Jam / Two Tone / LCFC storming the old 2nd Division / Dexys / Edinburgh West HSC / Schaed's coming back to E R / and Colin Harris & Mickey Weir beating the Huns at Ibrox in 82

:greengrin only part of that i couldn't instantly recall was Colin Harris - and I was at the game!

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 10:02 PM
:greengrin only part of that i couldn't instantly recall was Colin Harris - and I was at the game!

I also recall the bricks through the Edinburgh West Eastern Scottish bus window - but it was worth it

hibeeleicester
07-05-2010, 10:02 PM
Hope leicester get into the prem so i can watch some good teams next year. Place never sells out aswell.

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Hope leicester get into the prem so i can watch some good teams next year. Place never sells out aswell.

not sure we are ready for the Premiership yet but who cares - When You're Smiling , the whole world smiles with you !!!!

hibeeleicester
07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
not sure we are ready for the Premiership yet but who cares - When You're Smiling , the whole world smiles with you !!!!

No, i think we have been riding our luck a little, Nigel Pearson though! :top marks

Where you sitting on sunday mate?

danderchook
07-05-2010, 10:07 PM
cheers mate - gala hibs flag will be in the main stand at leicester

Had the great pleasure to be Bobbys guest of honour at the Walkers Stadium in May 2004 when he was inducted into the hall of fame, me and my mate were treated to a fabulous day by a fabulous wee guy who is sorely missed.
That was the last time Leicester were in the Premier so good luck Gala and great wee touch wi the Hibs gear.

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 10:08 PM
favourite Bobby Smith goals -

screamer versus the Huns at Easter Road - mid 70's

2/2/1980 - pen versus Newcastle at Filbert Street , LCFC 1 Mags 0

26/4/80 - LCFC 2- Charlton Athletic 1 , Leicester promoted, Alan Young (fae Kirkcaldy 1st goal) Bobby Smith 2nd at The Kop end at Filbert Street

HAPPY DAYS

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 10:11 PM
No, i think we have been riding our luck a little, Nigel Pearson though! :top marks

Where you sitting on sunday mate?

West Stand - down tomorrow night if you are kicking about the town for a beer

Greenblood
07-05-2010, 10:13 PM
I remember meeting Bobby, at a wedding, when I was about 9 and in highland dress. He was a friend of the groom, who had been an S-form with Hibs. Bobby was there with a group of other Hibs players and they made a real fuss of me.

Bobby was one of my favourite Hibs players and I remember being gutted when he left to go to Leicester. I recently read that he made his Leicester first team debut on the same day as the young Gary Lineker and lead them, as captain, to promotion to the, then top flight, English Division One.

I was too young at that time to appreciate how good he was and really saddened to learn he had died so young.

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Had the great pleasure to be Bobbys guest of honour at the Walkers Stadium in May 2004 when he was inducted into the hall of fame, me and my mate were treated to a fabulous day by a fabulous wee guy who is sorely missed.
That was the last time Leicester were in the Premier so good luck Gala and great wee touch wi the Hibs gear.

glad you experienced first hand how respected he is in Leicester - loads of players pass through football teams , very few have a lasting impact, only the genuine guys, this definitely applies to Bobby's stint in Leicester

hibeeleicester
07-05-2010, 10:17 PM
West Stand - down tomorrow night if you are kicking about the town for a beer

its my birthday tomorrow so im going to be in town :thumbsup: Not planning on going home to sleep, straight the walkers :thumbsup:

ill wear my hibs top! Look out for me, we are in K4 :thumbsup:

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 10:31 PM
My Leicester City Legends -

Bobby Smith
David Gibson
Both Ex Hibs

Frank Worthington
Keith Weller
Alan Young
Muzzy
Sav
He's here he's there he's every f-ing where Stevie Walsh
Claridge
Bruno Heskey
Iwan The Weshman
Taggart
Mark Wallington
Tony Cottee
Stevie Whitworth

hibeeleicester
07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
My Leicester City Legends -

Bobby Smith
David Gibson
Both Ex Hibs

Frank Worthington
Keith Weller
Alan Young
Muzzy
Sav
He's here he's there he's every f-ing where Stevie Walsh
Claridge
Bruno Heskey
Iwan The Weshman
Taggart
Mark Wallington
Tony Cottee
Stevie Whitworth

Gerry Taggart:agree:

The Harp
07-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Nice to see Bobby is held in such affection by fans of both clubs.
Can remember Bobby's permed hair in his Hibs days wasn't particularly appreciated by a certain Mr Turnbull. :rolleyes:
All the best to Leicester for tomorrow.

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 10:52 PM
Can remember Bobby's permed hair in his Hibs days wasn't particularly appreciated by a certain Mr Turnbull. :rolleyes:

cheers Mate - the fact that Burke & Rae will be playing for Cardiff will give all the more reason for Leicester to get right intae them

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 10:56 PM

Steve Lynex !! - I remember a City - Villa game in 1982 when Vila won the European Cup. Bobby playing for City, Des Bremner playing for Villa. Villa winning 4-2 at Filbert Street and Dezzy (ex Hibs) scoring for Villa (a rare goal) and Steve Lynex getting 2 for City

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Remember Bobby during his last spell at Hibs. Good luck to Leicester on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Gerry Taggart:agree:

Gerry Gerry Gerry Gerry - legendary performance at filbert St in UEFA Cup against the Slavs in 2001

dawn
07-05-2010, 11:05 PM

:thumbsup: Bobby Smith (http://flickr.com/photos/8920734@N02/2992247091)

CFC
08-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Used to live in Leicester in the halcyon O'Neill days and seen Frank Sinclair and Matt Elliott up Mosquito Coast, enjoy your day out Gala

TornadoHibby
08-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Bobby was only a youngster himself in the 70's! :wink: :cool2:

Truly a lovely guy and great company socially too! :agree: