PDA

View Full Version : If we get 4th ?

hibby67
07-05-2010, 08:30 PM
IF on sunday results go our way and we finish 4th will it be considered a good season even after all that has happend in the last 3 months :tin hat:

NorthNorfolkHFC
07-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Nope, i am not concerned where we end up now. It where we go from here.

Under Yogi's management i am a bit fearful after the past few months.

seanraff07
07-05-2010, 08:33 PM
IF on sunday results go our way and we finish 4th will it be considered a good season even after all that has happend in the last 3 months :tin hat:

Yep, getting into Europe for the first time in 5 years has to be considered a success IMO.:agree:

Silversand
07-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Makes you wonder how poor a season the Yams have had. :wink:

greenlex
07-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Good? Possibly. Acceptable? Absolutely.

seanraff07
07-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Makes you wonder how poor a season the Yams have had. :wink:

I've still seen some of them say their season has been an improvement, despite finishing 3 places lower than last season.:faf:

hibsbollah
07-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Yes, if we scrape into the Europa league the season has to be considered a success.

But there's plenty of 'what might have beens' as well . There were times before Christmas that I thought splitting the OF was a real possibility.

djs69
07-05-2010, 08:42 PM
It shows the quality or lack of it in the SPL....we can still get 4th place even though we have been on such a horrendous run...it doesnt say much for the teams below us.

What I would say, is based on the last few years it is an improvement on league position. We have better quality players in Riordan, Miller and Stokes...and couple of younger players on the fringes. Yogi does need time...the last few months have been hard to take...but he needs another season to prove the doubters.

greenlex
07-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Yes, if we scrape into the Europa league the season has to be considered a success.

But there's plenty of 'what might have beens' as well . There were times before Christmas that I thought splitting the OF was a real possibility.

This splitting the old firm nalarky is the biggest problem Yogi has. Even although he said time and time again it wasn't possible. Fans like yourself believed it was. Some fans expectations sent through the roof around Christmas when we were up there challenging and the team not realising those expectations has given way to huge disappointment. That disappointment (and some performances gibes fair) hasnow manifested in the vitriol Hughes is being subject too IMO. He does not help his case with his interviews where he struggles to get his methods and points across.

hibsbollah
07-05-2010, 08:58 PM
This splitting the old firm nalarky is the biggest problem Yogi has. Even although he said time and time again it wasn't possible. Fans like yourself believed it was. Some fans expectations sent through the roof around Christmas when we were up there challenging and the team not realising those expectations has given way to huge disappointment. That disappointment (and some performances gibes fair) hasnow manifested in the vitriol Hughes is being subject too IMO. He does not help his case with his interviews where he struggles to get his methods and points across.

Yes, I believed it was possible and I still do. In December we beat Motherwell 2-0 and it could have been 6-0. Best performance i'd seen in literally years and we were two points behind the leaders celtic, who looked poor as did Rangers.

Ive seen plenty of Hibs collapses in past seasons but this season looked different to me and lots of other Hibs fans. Its easy to forget it was only 5 months ago.

monktonharp
07-05-2010, 09:11 PM
This splitting the old firm nalarky is the biggest problem Yogi has. Even although he said time and time again it wasn't possible. Fans like yourself believed it was. Some fans expectations sent through the roof around Christmas when we were up there challenging and the team not realising those expectations has given way to huge disappointment. That disappointment (and some performances gibes fair) hasnow manifested in the vitriol Hughes is being subject too IMO. He does not help his case with his interviews where he struggles to get his methods and points across.to suggest that our expectations,at that point ,were too high is silly. we expect,having been at that point,then.....that we should be in Europe,NOW:grr:

iwasthere1972
07-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Difficult one to answer. Wouldn't say it will have been a good season but certainly a satisfactory one considering how close the *Yams came to leapfrogging us in the table. It's been a season of highs but too many lows but I for one would be put that aside and be thankful for 4th spot should we manage to grab it.

I suppose how successful the season has been will be measured by the number of season tickets we manage to sell for next season. Obviously we need to make some new signings and issue P45's to others to improve the team in time for the new season ahead.

With a new stand already in progress and a new pitch to look forward to we will be, outside of the Old Firm, the envy of all clubs in Scotland. Hopefully Yogi can put together a team to match our "new" stadium.

*Still mathematically possible but highly unlikely. :wink:

Yours

Happy Clapper.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Barman Stanton
07-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Yes 4th place would be considered a success but it doesnt hide the concerns at the way this season has turned out. If Yogi cant sort out this incredible slump then I really worry what kind of season we will have. Still, a wee trip to Europe would be nice :agree:

monktonharp
07-05-2010, 09:33 PM
I am still raging about not finishing off a first division club at the holy ground,to get us to Hampden:grr: so no,what ever happens on Sunday,no success,and downright dissapointment. Ross County finished second in their league,about 12 points behind btw.:grr:

Phil D. Rolls
07-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I think if Yogi suceeds, it will be accident rather than design. He's the Eddie "Eagle" Edwards of football management.

Let's end this experiment before someone gets hurt.

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-05-2010, 10:09 PM
Hibs expectations at the start of the season are either to win a Cup or/and qualify for Europe, so obviously finishing 4th and qualifying for Europe is a success. :agree:

noseyhibby
07-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Nope. 4th for me is a disappointment...more so because we were in a envious, strong position of having more points, games in hand and an unchallenged goal difference than our rivals.Only Hibs could make clinching 4th spot as some sort of great effort and event. No. We blew this season to smithereens with 4 months of abysmal performances and results. I for one would not be grateful. Getting 3rd and to the Scottish cup semi-finals was the least I expected.
I'm not one for going on previous history. We should be clinching 3rd every season with the infrastructure we have at ER.

Jonnyboy
07-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Hibs expectations at the start of the season are either to win a Cup or/and qualify for Europe, so obviously finishing 4th and qualifying for Europe is a success. :agree:

Exactly P :agree:

I have to confess it confuses the hell out of me that some Hibs fans would rather we didn't get into Europe incase we are embarrassed by our showing! We might as well add we shouldn't enter the Scottish Cup incase a Ross County await us there or we shouldn't play in the SPL incase we lose a four goal lead in a match.

This is Hibs, it's what we do :wink:

Crab apple
07-05-2010, 10:28 PM
The only positive for me is that we finish above the Yams and will do next season even with Yogi in charge. The Yams are **** and will be weaker next season. Given Yogi's recent comments about only needing to get 1 or 2 players in I have real worries about any further progress next season given how he has generally failed to get the best out of the current squad.

brydekirk
07-05-2010, 10:30 PM
im sure everyone would have taken 4th and europe at the start of the season. some of us got a bit carried away. at least the last few months have shown us what we have and what we need to progress.:thumbsup:

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Exactly P :agree:

I have to confess it confuses the hell out of me that some Hibs fans would rather we didn't get into Europe incase we are embarrassed by our showing! We might as well add we shouldn't enter the Scottish Cup incase a Ross County await us there or we shouldn't play in the SPL incase we lose a four goal lead in a match.

This is Hibs, it's what we do :wink:

You've been around the block longer than most John :wink:, but like the rest of us have only ever seen Hibs win the League Cup and qualify for Europe. You haven't seen us win the League (I think :greengrin) and certainly haven't seen us win the Scottish Cup. :hilarious

Let's be honest, the best we are really likely to see is another League Cup success and a European qualification spot, whether some like to admit it or not, that is probably our limit.

We all hoped a few months back we would romp to 3rd place and maybe, just maybe, it would be OUR year for something special, but in the back of our minds we all knew it would probably turn out the way it has. It's the Hibs way. If we wanted to support a team that wins every week we'd be Huns or Celtc fans. We all WANT better, but know we cannot expect it.

Jonnyboy
07-05-2010, 10:43 PM
You've been around the block longer than most John :wink:, but like the rest of us have only ever seen Hibs win the League Cup and qualify for Europe. You haven't seen us win the League (I think :greengrin) and certainly haven't seen us win the Scottish Cup. :hilarious

Let's be honest, the best we are really likely to see is another League Cup success and a European qualification spot, whether some like to admit it or not, that is probably our limit.

We all hoped a few months back we would romp to 3rd place and maybe, just maybe, it would be OUR year for something special, but in the back of our minds we all knew it would probably turn out the way it has. It's the Hibs way. If we wanted to support a team that wins every week we'd be Huns or Celtc fans. We all WANT better, but know we cannot expect it.

:top marks

monktonharp
07-05-2010, 11:20 PM

We all hoped a few months back we would romp to 3rd place and maybe, just maybe, it would be OUR year for something special, but in the back of our minds we all knew it would probably turn out the way it has. It's the Hibs way. If we wanted to support a team that wins every week we'd be Huns or Celtc fans. We all WANT better, but know we cannot expect it.not acceptable,not funny,and no need to patronise fellow Hibbies.we are quite entitled to expect more from our manager/team/club.

MSK
07-05-2010, 11:24 PM
not acceptable,not funny,and no need to patronise fellow Hibbies.we are quite entitled to expect more from our manager/team/club.Wullie .ffs ..nae need for that mate ..read it again ..:tsk tsk:

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-05-2010, 11:40 PM
not acceptable,not funny,and no need to patronise fellow Hibbies.we are quite entitled to expect more from our manager/team/club.

Who's been funny and patronising like. :confused:

You tell me WHY we should EXPECT to achieve more given what Hibs have done over the past 135 years? :confused:

What I expect is realistic given what the club has achieved since 1875. We have won the league 4 times in 130 years and have won the Scottish Cup twice in the same time.

If we win the odd League Cup and qualify for Europe that is what we can expect to do. Sorry dude, but get into the real world.

CallumLaidlaw
08-05-2010, 12:07 AM
At the start of the season, yogi would have probably been given a target of a cup quarter final and 5th place as a minimum (IMO), and then build on it in season 2. He has delivered that. The underachievement since February doesn't actually matter since he has still delivered on his targets. Next month he will be given a new set of targets.
I'm still not sure about yogi, but at the end of the day, the facts are, there IS progress since last season

AFKA5814_Hibs
08-05-2010, 12:15 AM
At the start of the season, yogi would have probably been given a target of a cup quarter final and 5th place as a minimum (IMO), and then build on it in season 2. He has delivered that. The underachievement since February doesn't actually matter since he has still delivered on his targets. Next month he will be given a new set of targets.
I'm still not sure about yogi, but at the end of the day, the facts are, there IS progress since last season

It's all to do with reverse pyschology Callum. If Hibs season had started off with only two wins in the first 17 games but had ended up the way our season started, we'd all think it was a good season, just cause it's ended badly we think it's been a bad season.

If we had been given 4th at the start of the season, most fans would have been happy with that, it's only regarded as a disappointment cause of the good start of the season we had.

Hibby 2005
08-05-2010, 05:34 AM
We're just ahead of 6th place at the moment with a slim chance of scrapping 4th and have not won in a long time going into the final game of the season.

If we'd started the season badly and ended strongly I would be a lot happier for the reasons I've stated before, that we would be showing steady progress going into the next season. As it happens, our confidence is shot and we're a soft a touch for any team we come up against.

Yogi was unable to build on the good start we had and incapable of making the right decisions when things started to go badly. We had a glorious chance, if we'd used the January tranfer window properly, to get at the OF but blew it and went out of the Scottish Cup in a year when Lady Luck shone on us like never before.

So, if we get 4th, given where we were at one stage this season, and looking at the way Dundee Utd. comfortably went on to take 3rd, I don't think anyone can think it's been a success. Yogi may think it's progress to finish with a couple more points than last season when the then Manager, Mixu, was sacked with far less resources offered to him.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 07:59 AM
We're just ahead of 6th place at the moment with a slim chance of scrapping 4th and have not won in a long time going into the final game of the season.

If we'd started the season badly and ended strongly I would be a lot happier for the reasons I've stated before, that we would be showing steady progress going into the next season. As it happens, our confidence is shot and we're a soft a touch for any team we come up against.

Yogi was unable to build on the good start we had and incapable of making the right decisions when things started to go badly. We had a glorious chance, if we'd used the January tranfer window properly, to get at the OF but blew it and went out of the Scottish Cup in a year when Lady Luck shone on us like never before.

So, if we get 4th, given where we were at one stage this season, and looking at the way Dundee Utd. comfortably went on to take 3rd, I don't think anyone can think it's been a success. Yogi may think it's progress to finish with a couple more points than last season when the then Manager, Mixu, was sacked with far less resources offered to him.
Aye, because i'm fed up finishing 4th, and qualifying for europe. If we cant do it by finishing the season well, i dont want it.:bitchy:

NORTHERNHIBBY
08-05-2010, 08:18 AM
I am sure that things are a lot easier to call when you can look at them in terms of black and white. Fourth or even fifth against sixth, and more points is improvement. Two forward players getting near 40 goals between them is improvement. If we had come up on the inside and done this but shown inconsistency that would have been much the same as last season and maybe not unexpected. This needs to be tempered against the fact that we through away potentially our best finish in a generation and that can't be ignored.
Still backing Mr Hughes though.

IWasThere2016
08-05-2010, 08:27 AM

Well said.

I didn't read one post above about the quality of the football - which is quite frankly dross.

We've had few exceptions too - less than a handful of games.

If it doesn't improve the fans won't show and Yogi will go. He MUST improve the football and get more into ER. IMHO he won't achieve this - and he has through the season alienated some fans also.

He'll be our manager for the start of the season but I don't have confidence in him lasting.

As for this season I am disappointed with it - regardless of the outcome tomorrow - as like I say the quality of the football is not good enough.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Well said.

I didn't read one post above about the quality of the football - which is quite frankly dross.

We've had few exceptions too - less than a handful of games.

If it doesn't improve the fans won't show and Yogi will go. He MUST improve the football and get more into ER. IMHO he won't achieve this - and he has through the season alienated some fans also.

He'll be our manager for the start of the season but I don't have confidence in him lasting.

As for this season I am disappointed with it - regardless of the outcome tomorrow - as like I say the quality of the football is not good enough.

There's a surprise.

BEEJ
08-05-2010, 10:01 AM
Do you mean 'for eternity'? Are we to presume that mid-table finishes and one trophy / success every sixteen years or so is to be Hibs lot for evermore?

It's the Hibs way. If we wanted to support a team that wins every week we'd be Huns or Celtc fans. We all WANT better, but know we cannot expect it.
There is just such a vast gulf between 'winning every week' and the reality of two wins in 17 matches; between winning the Scottish Cup and getting stuffed by a First Division side in the QF instead; between seeing off our nearest rivals comfortably in the four SPL fixtures and capitualting to them in the manner we have done in the last two fixtures.

I don't think you understand what the average Hibs supporter 'expects'. You certainly don't speak for my expectations.

At the start of the season, yogi would have probably been given a target of a cup quarter final and 5th place as a minimum (IMO), and then build on it in season 2. He has delivered that.

The underachievement since February doesn't actually matter since he has still delivered on his targets.
It does if you consider that the above targets were all but achieved by February. Maybe one important factor in our recent dismal run has been complacency.

Jim44
08-05-2010, 11:03 AM

I disagree. I don't think anyone foresaw the total capitulation of a team which appeared to be capable of holding it's own with every team in the league.

The way things have gone, maybe we'd settle for a team that wins just some weeks. More than the odd win does make regular defeats a bit more palatable.

I think this season has once and for all exposed us as the soft touch we are and the team that every other team must fancy their chances against. If he's around next season, it's surely one of Hughes's priorities to rid us of this, unfortunately, well earned stigma.

IWasThere2016
08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
There's a surprise.

So, you think the quality of the football has been good enough?

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 01:49 PM
So, you think the quality of the football has been good enough?

I do, how the hell would you know?

we are hibs
08-05-2010, 01:51 PM
:agree:i think it would have been a good season

3pm
08-05-2010, 01:59 PM

I don't. And I would know! :o)

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 02:06 PM
I don't. And I would know! :o)

Fair enough, at least you have been to witness the games, not getting your information from the media. What teams have been playing well this season?

3pm
08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Fair enough, at least you have been to witness the games, not getting your information from the media. What teams have been playing well this season?

Very few. United probably but still not that outstanding. St Johnstone have done well. I am more concerned about Hibs to be fair - just because everyone else is poor doesn't mean that we have to be pish does it? On the face of it, you make valid points re progress but the bigger picture (in terms of the team), there are big areas of concern. No?

IWasThere2016
08-05-2010, 02:21 PM

:faf: and :yawn: respectively!

--------
08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
IFon sunday results go our way and we finish 4th will it be considered a good season even after all that has happend in the last 3 months :tin hat:

Yes. I'd say so. Not as good as it promised at one point, but better than last. Improved League position and a place in the Europa qualifying? Yes.

It'll then be a question of how we go about preparing for next season.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Very few. United probably but still not that outstanding. St Johnstone have done well. I am more concerned about Hibs to be fair - just because everyone else is poor doesn't mean that we have to be pish does it? On the face of it, you make valid points re progress but the bigger picture (in terms of the team), there are big areas of concern. No?

Yes there are concerns, although they have to be balanced with what we will have achieved, and as much as it pains some,:bitchy: we have improved. More of the same please.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 02:30 PM
:faf: and :yawn: respectively!

You have been to a handfull of games, you make up comments on whats gone wrong at games you have not been to, or even read about or seen highlights on. The lying man.

Feed McGraw
08-05-2010, 02:43 PM
I am still raging about not finishing off a first division club at the holy ground,to get us to Hampden:grr: so no,what ever happens on Sunday,no success,and downright dissapointment. Ross County finished second in their league,about 12 points behind btw.:grr:

I feel the same as you. BTW Ross County were actually 5th in their league - 17 pts behind the winners.

Keith_M
08-05-2010, 03:02 PM
If 'improvement' is getting great results that put Hibs in the position where 3rd looked a certainty but finally scraped 5th by the skin of their teeth, in addition to being unable to beat a 1st division side over 2 games, then this season is an improvement.

Surely it's fair for Hibs fans to worry about which team we're going to see next season, the one that did so well for roughly the first half of this season or the team that capitulated during the last 17/18 games?

:dunno:

Jamie
08-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Just shows you how good we were in the 1st part of the season when we were winning everything, didn't see anyone calling for yogi's heed then :duck:

hibsbollah
08-05-2010, 03:05 PM
If 'improvement' is getting great results that put Hibs in the position where 3rd looked a certainty but finally scraped 5th by the skin of their teeth, in addition to being unable to beat a 1st division side over 2 games, then this season is an improvement.

:dunno:

:agree: Judging whether the season was a success based on whether it was an 'improvement' on Mixu's laughable reign is setting the bar far too low.

Ed De Gramo
08-05-2010, 03:12 PM
If we get 4th then its been a great season :agree:

Whilst its been a Jekyll and Hyde style of season, everyone connected at Hibs should be proud of getting the club back onto the European scene.

As stated before, if you want to see a team win all the time...move West and you too can read papers and cheer for a nano second when your team scores.

Glory Glory

IWasThere2016
08-05-2010, 04:09 PM
You have been to a handfull of games, you make up comments on whats gone wrong at games you have not been to, or even read about or seen highlights on. The lying man.

:faf: Did you no see the apology/correction?

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
:faf: Did you no see the apology/correction?

Disnae matter, you have been found out. You are prepared to lie to make your point have more validity. I cant believe another word you type.

hibsitis
08-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Aye, because i'm fed up finishing 4th, and qualifying for europe. If we cant do it by finishing the season well, i dont want it.:bitchy:

Two key things that distinguish good managers from bad is the ability to do much with little and to produce consistent performances.

Yogi has had a pretty decent budget and has been able to make signings the fans have been generally happy with.

How do we therefore explain the appalling run of results we've seen in the last few months? This partly needs to be seen in the context of the first half of the season when we benefitted from the poor quality of other teams. Hearts and Motherwell have sorted out their management problems and we have seen the pressure we have been put under as a result. It also throws a spotlight on other games we were lucky to win, Killie at home (dodgy penalty) and Celtic away spring to mind.

Going out of the cup to RC over 2 games despite having being ahead three times, losing 5 and 4 goals to SJ and HA, going out of the League cup to SJ at home, failing to hold a 4 goal lead this week are strong indicators that consistency (and quality) is not something Yogi has been able to instill. Nor has he been able to react constructively to the situation he has found himself in.

In short, we were lucky to be in our earlier position. Other teams have figured us out and Yogi hasn't been able to respond in kind. It's no use pointing to European qualification because, if we achieve it, that will only have been done based on the scenario above in a poor league. As Hibs fans we have no right to great expectations but we do have a right to expect better given the relative resources we have.

The Yogi apologists need to concentrate on the recent past and the really, really awful results and explain what it is about that that gives him the right to expect to continue as manager. It broke and he hasn't been able to fix it.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Two key things that distinguish good managers from bad is the ability to do much with little and to produce consistent performances.

Yogi has had a pretty decent budget and has been able to make signings the fans have been generally happy with.

How do we therefore explain the appalling run of results we've seen in the last few months? This partly needs to be seen in the context of the first half of the season when we benefitted from the poor quality of other teams. Hearts and Motherwell have sorted out their management problems and we have seen the pressure we have been put under as a result. It also throws a spotlight on other games we were lucky to win, Killie at home (dodgy penalty) and Celtic away spring to mind.

Going out of the cup to RC over 2 games despite having being ahead three times, losing 5 and 4 goals to SJ and HA, going out of the League cup to SJ at home, failing to hold a 4 goal lead this week are strong indicators that consistency (and quality) is not something Yogi has been able to instill. Nor has he been able to react constructively to the situation he has found himself in.

In short, we were lucky to be in our earlier position. Other teams have figured us out and Yogi hasn't been able to respond in kind. It's no use pointing to European qualification because, if we achieve it, that will only have been done based on the scenario above in a poor league. As Hibs fans we have no right to great expectations but we do have a right to expect better given the relative resources we have.

The Yogi apologists need to concentrate on the recent past and the really, really awful results and explain what it is about that that gives him the right to expect to continue as manager. It broke and he hasn't been able to fix it.
As usual, we were lucky when we won, but Yogi's fault when we lost.
Or perhaps we had Zemamma and McBride out long term, Bamba away and suspended, and Hogg and Miller lose their early season form. Wotherspoon too. Then those we brought in were so weak, we couldnt cope.

Andy74
08-05-2010, 06:47 PM

Yep.

I've seen plenty reasons for the slump and none of them indicate anything that can't be fixed for a new season.

hibsitis
08-05-2010, 07:08 PM
As usual, we were lucky when we won, but Yogi's fault when we lost.
Or perhaps we had Zemamma and McBride out long term, Bamba away and suspended, and Hogg and Miller lose their early season form. Wotherspoon too. Then those we brought in were so weak, we couldnt cope.

Sorry, BH but this just doesn't wash. Every team has to cope with absence and good managers adapt. Zemamma is a loss, at least for the one half he turns up, but a quick count shows both Bamba and McBride available for about 13 out of the 20 league games we have played this year. You might also note that they played in the loss to RC, the cup loss to SJ and the gubbing by Hamilton.

Also, who is responsible for either pre-empting lapses in 'form' and, if they do occur helping correct them asap?

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Sorry, BH but this just doesn't wash. Every team has to cope with absence and good managers adapt. Zemamma is a loss, at least for the one half he turns up, but a quick count shows both Bamba and McBride available for about 13 out of the 20 league games we have played this year. You might also note that they played in the loss to RC, the cup loss to SJ and the gubbing by Hamilton.

Also, who is responsible for either pre-empting lapses in 'form' and, if they do occur helping correct them asap?

Celtic lost to Ross County, with better players than we have? These players also played in the 5-1 win against hamilton, the 3-0 win against St Johnstone too. When we were 3rd, we had everyone playing well, and fit.

In february, we lost Zemamma and McBride, 2 players who were very influential to how we played. Wotherspoon had run himself into the ground, and Miller lost form along with Bamba. We had nobody to replace these players. Stevenson was tried, and failed, cregg was the same. Thicot and hogg have been hit and miss. Then we have had our keeper throw games as if he's in with John Higgins.

Hughes needs to get rid of a few, and then get better. I saw enough early in the season to give him the time.

IWasThere2016
08-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Yep.

I've seen plenty reasons for the slump and none of them indicate anything that can't be fixed for a new season.

Is that insider info on Yogi's summer departure? :greengrin

It'll take that to change our formation from the off and during the game. To get Riordan moved from being stuck oot wide. Stop the midfield getting regularly over-run, get the possession % up, sort the defence, improve the football, give credible post match comments etc..

monktonharp
08-05-2010, 08:32 PM
Who's been funny and patronising like. :confused:

You tell me WHY we should EXPECT to achieve more given what Hibs have done over the past 135 years? :confused:

What I expect is realistic given what the club has achieved since 1875. We have won the league 4 times in 130 years and have won the Scottish Cup twice in the same time.

If we win the odd League Cup and qualify for Europe that is what we can expect to do. Sorry dude, but get into the real world.I like to think that I am in the real world of Hibernian fans,who over the last 40 years at least,have seen their club playing great football at times,been at SCfinals at times and got no luck whatsoever,been at a dozen semi-finals,and been scunnered at lots of them,saw some fantastic European nights at ER,etc. what a f/ckin' hard neck I have,eh. to have the temerity to expect HFC to put up a fight to get to Hampden against much lower opposition at home,and even expect to reach EUROPE,when it was almost in the bag months ago, and to further suggest that Hibernian fc,a club with an incredibly loyal support when considering the vast dissapointments incurred over the years, is just me pipedreaming I suppose,so you must be correct,and I apologise.:yawn:

sesoim
08-05-2010, 11:24 PM
On paper, 4th place would be a success. But there's obviously more to football than stats. The team has been totally disorganised, anybody with a brain can see that, but Hughes comes across as way too thick to do anything about it. I still don't understand how a guy like Petrie could interview Hughes and think he was the man for the job.

We'll have the 3rd best player budget next season due to Hearts slashing their's, so Hughes (if he is still in charge) can't trot out the same stupid excuses next season if the bad run continues.

Removed
08-05-2010, 11:35 PM
On paper, 4th place would be a success. But there's obviously more to football than stats. The team has been totally disorganised, anybody with a brain can see that, but Hughes comes across as way too thick to do anything about it. I still don't understand how a guy like Petrie could interview Hughes and think he was the man for the job.

We'll have the 3rd best player budget next season due to Hearts slashing their's, so Hughes (if he is still in charge) can't trot out the same stupid excuses next season if the bad run continues.

John Hughes might be a lot of things but imo he is not thick and I can see 100% why Petrie would think he was the man for the job.

I don't know if your comment about player budget is true? Surely a budget will include fees paid plus wages and bonuses. I'd hazard a guess that the yams will still be paying silly money for a few of their players and will still be spending more than us. Do you have any figures that back up your claim?

BroxburnHibee
09-05-2010, 07:42 AM
It's all to do with reverse pyschology Callum. If Hibs season had started off with only two wins in the first 17 games but had ended up the way our season started, we'd all think it was a good season, just cause it's ended badly we think it's been a bad season.

If we had been given 4th at the start of the season, most fans would have been happy with that, it's only regarded as a disappointment cause of the good start of the season we had.

If our season had started that way, nobody not even BH :wink: would have given Yogi until the end of the season.

He would have been sacked and quite rightly so.

Andy74
09-05-2010, 08:11 AM
If our season had started that way, nobody not even BH :wink: would have given Yogi until the end of the season.

He would have been sacked and quite rightly so.

No he wouldn't have.

I'm also not getting why people think a season would start this way.

Why would our key players all have been injured or missing for long spells?

Why would our young players becso burned out?

Why would the players who haven't played full seasons recently be losing form as a result?

Why would the pitches be so poor?

I don't see anything about our current issues that would translate to how we might start a season particularly the next one when we have a chance to bring players in that we need.

3pm
09-05-2010, 08:35 AM
No he wouldn't have.

I'm also not getting why people think a season would start this way.

Why would our key players all have been injured or missing for long spells?

Why would our young players becso burned out?

Why would the players who haven't played full seasons recently be losing form as a result?

Why would the pitches be so poor?

I don't see anything about our current issues that would translate to how we might start a season particularly the next one when we have a chance to bring players in that we need.

Who are these key players? Zemmama? Quality on his day but too inconsistent, when he has a stinker he'd be as well sitting next to me. McBride? Surpassed expectations but a key player? If he is a key player that is indicative of how low the bar has fallen.