PDA

View Full Version : Barry Glendinning on Hibs' Europa League Race

hibsbollah
07-05-2010, 06:43 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/audio/2010/may/06/football-weekly-extra-tottenham-triumph (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/audio/2010/may/06/football-weekly-extra-tottenham-triumph)

"Since both teams are competing for the right to be thrashed 6-0 by some Albanian outfit it doesnt really matter"

:faf: or :grr: I can't decide.

seanraff07
07-05-2010, 06:53 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/audio/2010/may/06/football-weekly-extra-tottenham-triumph (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/audio/2010/may/06/football-weekly-extra-tottenham-triumph)

"Since both teams are competing for the right to be thrashed 6-0 by some Albanian outfit it doesnt really matter"

I can't see anything about the Europe League place in that link.:confused:

hibsbollah
07-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I can't see anything about the Europe League place in that link.:confused:

You have to launch the audio, about 20 mins in.

Jonnyboy
07-05-2010, 06:57 PM

What a choob.

Glendinning I mean, not you hibsbollah :greengrin

seanraff07
07-05-2010, 07:02 PM
You have to launch the audio, about 20 mins in.

Ok cheers.

hibsbollah
07-05-2010, 07:17 PM
What a choob.

Glendinning I mean, not you hibsbollah :greengrin

Its Ok, I am a choob:greengrin
If we actually did draw Dinamo Tirana or whoever I think we'd win:greengrin

Jonnyboy
07-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Its Ok, I am a choob:greengrin
If we actually did draw Dinamo Tirana or whoever I think we'd win:greengrin

Get that choob Glendinning on the 'phone and tell him we've played Albanian opposition before.

Hibs 7 FC Besa 1
Cup Winners Cup 2nd Round - 1st leg
25 October 1972
O'Rourke (3), Duncan (2), Cropley, Brownlie

2nd leg
FC Besa 1 Hibs 1
8 November 1972
Gordon

Them were the days right enough :greengrin

CiscoKid
07-05-2010, 07:37 PM
The Guardian Football Weekly is a really good podcast, I usually download it and listen to it on my way to work.

Heard Glendinnings comment but Scottish football teams performances in Europe has been that bad recently.

TornadoHibby
07-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Get that choob Glendinning on the 'phone and tell him we've played Albanian opposition before.

Hibs 7 FC Besa 1
25 October 1972

2nd leg
FC Besa 1 Hibs 1
8 November 1972
Gordon

Aye but that was a Hibs team that could score goals and then close the game out for a win unlike the current lot virtually since Xmas! :grr:

Perspective
07-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Agreed, the Football Weekly podcast is a great listing and Glendenning is excellent on it.

He's perfectly entitled to have a go at us. The recent record, Aberdeen aside, is pathetic.

bighairyfaeleith
07-05-2010, 07:55 PM
not listened to it, but I don't think I want us to qualify as it will just be more embarrassment before the season has even begun!!

iwasthere1972
07-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Aye but that was a Hibs team that could score goals and then close the game out for a win unlike the current lot virtually since Xmas! :grr:

Thank our lucky stars the present team weren't playing for Hibs on 1st January 1973. We would no doubt be forever talking about the 14 goals scored on that memorable day and Eddie Turnbull's interview blaming O'Rourke and co. for the 7 goals conceded.

Gala Foxes
07-05-2010, 09:30 PM
ian murray exempt the rest from fir park are not worthy of lacing the boots of 1-1-73

Phil D. Rolls
07-05-2010, 09:40 PM

Hibs 7 FC Besa 1
25 October 1972

2nd leg
FC Besa 1 Hibs 1
8 November 1972
Gordon

How did Turnbull keep his job after such a disastrous second leg?

ps was that not the tie where Arthur Duncan (who else??) found himself being chased round the hotel by a chef with a meat cleaver?

Jonnyboy
07-05-2010, 09:43 PM
How did Turnbull keep his job after such a disastrous second leg?

ps was that not the tie where Arthur Duncan (who else??) found himself being chased round the hotel by a chef with a meat cleaver?

:faf: Chef would have needed to be on jet ski's to catch Arthur :wink:

Pat Stanton once told me that playing in Albania was quite bizarre. The hotel was pretty basic although the best in the city, the locals were clearly very poor and yet they cheered Hibs during the game! Apparently when the team bus left the hotel to go to the stadium, around thirty minutes away the players saw only one other car on the road!

PeterboroHibee
07-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I regularly listen to Football Weekly, good podcast and tbh I dont think anyone can really disagree with him; these days all Scottish clubs tend to get pumped in Europe.

snooky
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM

Hibs 7 FC Besa 1
25 October 1972

2nd leg
FC Besa 1 Hibs 1
8 November 1972
Gordon

Just dug out the prog from the Besa game at ER
After a quick browse, here's some titbits.....

1) Team - the usual Tornado suspects, Herriot > Duncan
2) Ref: R Nthus (Norway)
3) Birth of Jimmy O'Rourke's son Jamie mentioned
4) Announcement that we have signed Jim McArthur from Cowdenbeath
5) Ronnie Allen (manager of Sporting Lisbon) has written to Ned wishing him well in the next round and asks for the name of the supplier of the ball used at ER. His players say it's the best ball they've played with. Their centre Yazalde is currently 2nd top scorer in Portuguese league (top is Eusebio)
6) Adverts for the "Americana" on Fountainbridge and "Bandparts" at the top of the Walk.

Ah, happy days ....................... :partyhibb

KWJ
08-05-2010, 04:30 AM
ian murray exempt the rest from fir park are not worthy of lacing the boots of 1-1-73

While I've obviously only heard the stories and seen the videos I really don't think Ian Murray is exempt. He'd be getting the dubbin out like the rest of them.

KWJ
08-05-2010, 06:45 AM
just listened to it. i'm more annoyed about them not actually knowing that we can both qualify for the europa league with the cup final.

hibsbollah
08-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Checking this years Europa league 1st round entrants;

Israel, Sweden, Slovakia, Poland, Slovenia, Hungary, Croatia, Norway all have teams in it, as well as 'proper' minnows like the Luxembourg and Faroe Islands teams. Even the first round might not be as easy as Dinaburg a few years back.

Wellfan1984
08-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Why you worried about the First Qualification Round? No Scottish Club can enter at that round. Even if you were in the First you would be seeded

Also last time a Scottish Club played an Albanian Club, the Scottish Team won 8-2 on aggregate - granted they lost the first leg 1-0, but still turned it around in the second on a neutral venue... :wink:

monktonharp
08-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Why you worried about the First Qualification Round? No Scottish Club can enter at that round. Even if you were in the First you would be seeded

Also last time a Scottish Club played an Albanian Club, the Scottish Team won 8-2 on aggregate - granted they lost the first leg 1-0, but still turned it around in the second on a neutral venue... :wink:thanks for the info. you M'well fans are more experienced re-Europe,than most on here:wink:

shagpile
08-05-2010, 10:01 PM

Exempt? Murray couldn't lace Shades' boots.:bitchy:

NOLA
09-05-2010, 12:41 AM
If we qualify for Europe, then our season will start very early on, which gives the players less time to recharge the duracells!

Sandy
09-05-2010, 06:48 AM
If we qualify for Europe, then our season will start very early on, which gives the players less time to recharge the duracells!

So what your saying is you dinnae want us to qualify for Europe then :confused::crazy: