PDA

View Full Version : Smith to start on Sunday

Bob Box Fish
07-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Our master tactician has said in today's EEN Smith will start on Sunday.

IMO should never have started against Motherwell.

K.Marx
07-05-2010, 12:09 PM
:bitchy:

Diclonius
07-05-2010, 12:12 PM
For ****'s sake, how ****ing stubborn is this man?!

Toaods
07-05-2010, 12:17 PM
then quite simply, he isn't picking the best 11 available.

H18sry
07-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Smith has something to play for/prove Makalamity doesn't as he is away at the end of next week. :wink:

M11BMO
07-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Surely his confidence will be planted to the bottom of the water of Leith!?

:brickwall:grr::timebomb:

bod
07-05-2010, 12:24 PM
were any of the goals his fault ?

Frazerbob
07-05-2010, 12:25 PM

:faf:

dunfyhibby
07-05-2010, 12:26 PM
then quite simply, he isn't picking the best 11 available.

Who is the best then??

K.Marx
07-05-2010, 12:28 PM

I can only hope you've been on an early summer vacation to Mars and are yet to see the highlights.

H18sry
07-05-2010, 12:28 PM

aye just the 4 but he did save a penalty:wink:

bod
07-05-2010, 12:29 PM
:faf:

it was a serious question as i watched the man city/spuds game

HibbyAndy
07-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Just a pity we have a very good goalkeeper in Mark Brown that is currently out injured,Pretty sure He will start the season as no 1.

Id Have Maka ahead of Smith for Sunday also.

HibbyAndy
07-05-2010, 12:30 PM
it was a serious question as i watched the man city/spuds game

What planet you been living on :greengrin

Theres been like 478798797589758758759875079587590 threads :hilarious

truehibernian
07-05-2010, 12:31 PM
By bringing in a ridiculous "goalkeeping pool" though, he is now damned if he does damned if he doesn't. Put Smith in again, he has a howler again, the critics will bash away. Put Maka in, first game (arguably another bloody cliched cup final) for how many ??? Maka has a howler.....again, the critics and fans will bash away. Three keepers is all you need in the squad, not five. But that is John Hughes downfall IMO. Too many unknown "best elevens". The defence has had three keepers, god knows how many centre half pairings, at least four different right backs (Thicot, Hogg, DW and McCormack), three different left backs. The only constant has been the front three of Riordan, Nish and Stokes which we all know has it's limitations and frailties when they are not on form. Midfield (broken record time) is too similar, too narrow and too flat. I kind of always feel sorry for Hibs keepers, as for the last three to four seasons, all goals conceded never seem to be well worked affairs, but standard set pieces, simple crosses into the box, floated corners, etc etc. There you are looking for strong, willing, instinctive defenders. We don't have any. No one anticipates the cross or shot (see Thicot, Hanlon and Hogg versus Well for most recent example). Hogg is also the worst captain in our history and I make no bones about that comment. He has no natural leadership quality at all and is not a good footballer. Take a look at the way he ponders or jogs back into position when a cross comes in ! Will Hanlon progress alongside him ? Both Hanlon and Hogg have been turned and out muscled in the last three games (Lafferty, Elliot, Lukas whatshisname). Murray was made to look slow and dithery because he doesn't get the same level of cover as our right back does, because Derek is (rightly) a forward, and a forward thinking player. Footballers are quite simple beings. For all his days, Derek has only known to attack and score goals. He has never grown up being made to track back, harry and chase, and tackle on the edge of his own box along with his left back. You cannot suddenly change that kind of fixed mindset as they are as I say quite simple (in the nicest possible way). So rather than blame the keepers, I would lay the last few results firmly at the door of our defenders who are far far more culpable IMHO.

500miles
07-05-2010, 12:32 PM
We saw from his time at Motherwell that he is a good keeper. We saw that he was a good keeper when he first arrived. Yogi then made the mistake of dropping him, despite him not being at fault for the hammering we took off of the Saints.

Now Yogi is trying to instill some confidence in him by showing him faith. Smith is a senior player, and needs to be able to shake things off. These things are always a gamble, and if he comes through it, he will be a better player for it.

I can see what Yogi's getting at here. With either goalkeeper, Smith or Maka, you'll be taking a chance.

Tyler Durden
07-05-2010, 12:39 PM
We saw from his time at Motherwell that he is a good keeper. We saw that he was a good keeper when he first arrived. Yogi then made the mistake of dropping him, despite him not being at fault for the hammering we took off of the Saints.

Now Yogi is trying to instill some confidence in him by showing him faith. Smith is a senior player, and needs to be able to shake things off. These things are always a gamble, and if he comes through it, he will be a better player for it.

I can see what Yogi's getting at here. With either goalkeeper, Smith or Maka, you'll be taking a chance.

I really don't want to sound like a "told you so" type but I always thought he looked average at best at Well. He let in too many bad goals for me.

I also have never really rated Mark Brown so hopefully I'm totally wrong on that front!

With everyone fit, I'd pick Stack every time. For me he's only really made 1 big mistake, which granted, was at Tynie. But for the majority of his games he's been steady IMO.

Danderhall Hibs
07-05-2010, 12:40 PM
By bringing in a ridiculous "goalkeeping pool"

It's not ridiculous we have 3 1st team keepers and Maka - 2 of them are injured so we've still got a goalie (although he didn't show it the other night). If we never had the goalie "school" we wouldn't have had a keeper the last few weeks.

truehibernian
07-05-2010, 12:43 PM
I am pretty sure that SPL rules are that you can, like in England, bring in emergency loans if keepers are injured long term. We also have a young keeper in Thomas Flynn, who I have seen more than a few times, who Hibernian deemed good enough to give a pro contract to, so in that regard, is good enough to come in and do a job. Five keepers, four of whom on a very very good salary, is quite ridiculous. Do Celtic, Rangers, Dundee Utd or anyone else for that matter have that many. I will stand by the comment that there were and still are areas of the squad that take priority over goalkeeping.

Cropley10
07-05-2010, 12:45 PM

Although I'm not the only one who thinks his behaviour in the 2nd half at Fir Park was EXTREMELY odd.

Personally, I wouldn't have him anywhere our goal.

What happens if he has another complete nightmare and/or behaves in the same way? Sunday is our Cup Final FFS!

Danderhall Hibs
07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
I am pretty sure that SPL rules are that you can, like in England, bring in emergency loans if keepers are injured long term. We also have a young keeper in Thomas Flynn, who I have seen more than a few times, who Hibernian deemed good enough to give a pro contract to, so in that regard, is good enough to come in and do a job. Five keepers, four of whom on a very very good salary, is quite ridiculous. Do Celtic, Rangers, Dundee Utd or anyone else for that matter have that many. I will stand by the comment that there were and still are areas of the squad that take priority over goalkeeping.

Rangers have 5 (http://eurorivals.net/squad/rangers.html)
So do Dundee United (http://eurorivals.net/clubs/dundee-united.html) and Hearts (http://eurorivals.net/clubs/hearts.html). Motherwell (http://eurorivals.net/clubs/motherwell.html)have 4.

Might be others as well - I only looked at the other top 6 sides.

Our goalkeeping position was a priority and he's tried to sort it - unfortunately our top 2 keepers are both injured leaving our 3rd choice and Maka. I think the young lad's out on loan?

TornadoHibby
07-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Smith has something to play for/prove Makalamity doesn't as he is away at the end of next week. :wink:

What do you have in mind here exactly? :confused:

truehibernian
07-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Rangers have 5 (http://eurorivals.net/squad/rangers.html)
So do Dundee United (http://eurorivals.net/clubs/dundee-united.html) and Hearts (http://eurorivals.net/clubs/hearts.html). Motherwell (http://eurorivals.net/clubs/motherwell.html)have 4.

Might be others as well - I only looked at the other top 6 sides.

Our goalkeeping position was a priority and he's tried to sort it - unfortunately our top 2 keepers are both injured leaving our 3rd choice and Maka. I think the young lad's out on loan?

Bit of poetic licence there Danderhall. The Utd keepers, two of whom are their youth keepers (17's and 19's, similar to two at Rangers) will be on buttons and will be part of their youth set up. If that were the track of your argument, you can add another two keepers to our list as well which makes us have seven.

H18sry
07-05-2010, 01:02 PM
What do you have in mind here exactly? :confused:

Well let me explain in simple terms for you:rolleyes: Makalamity is being released Smith has a contract so it in his interest to play well and try and help us in to a Europa cup place

Danderhall Hibs
07-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Bit of poetic licence there Danderhall. The Utd keepers, two of whom are their youth keepers (17's and 19's, similar to two at Rangers) will be on buttons and will be part of their youth set up. If that were the track of your argument, you can add another two keepers to our list as well which makes us have seven.

Just went into squad lists.

We'll be down to 3 + 1 apprentice at the end of the season so pretty much on a par with the others?

truehibernian
07-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Just went into squad lists.

We'll be down to 3 + 1 apprentice at the end of the season so pretty much on a par with the others?

I do see where you are coming from bud, but salary wise, we are spending an awful lot of money on four keepers, three of whom each week will be in the stand or on the bench. That obviously doesn't include the young keepers at the academy. I was incredulous that Hughes did not get at least two right backs and/or cover for left back (given the versatility of Murray, Thicot and Hanlon), but instead brought in two keepers. A Hibernian keepers form IMHO is directly affected by the players in front of him, and we concede soft sloppy goals because we allow possession in our own half too easily and allow crosses and set pieces into the box more than any other side in the top half. The law of averages thereafter take over and the chances of mistakes or keeper errors are multiplied. Our defence did no favours to Smith the last three games (that said, yes, he was sloppy and made errors of judgement too bud).

Danderhall Hibs
07-05-2010, 01:18 PM
I do see where you are coming from bud, but salary wise, we are spending an awful lot of money on four keepers, three of whom each week will be in the stand or on the bench. That obviously doesn't include the young keepers at the academy. I was incredulous that Hughes did not get at least two right backs and/or cover for left back (given the versatility of Murray, Thicot and Hanlon), but instead brought in two keepers. A Hibernian keepers form IMHO is directly affected by the players in front of him, and we concede soft sloppy goals because we allow possession in our own half too easily and allow crosses and set pieces into the box more than any other side in the top half. The law of averages thereafter take over and the chances of mistakes or keeper errors are multiplied. Our defence did no favours to Smith the last three games (that said, yes, he was sloppy and made errors of judgement too bud).

Completely agree we needed a RB and probably even a CH but for whatever reason we didn't get them.

Still happy we've got goalies and cover now though. I know we've got 4 but Maka is obviously not in his plans and is probably only still here as noone came in for him in January and he's decided to see his contract out. We'll be down to 3 next year.

One problem we have with it is all 3 keepers appear to be of a similar standard (and no obvious no. 1) and as soon as one makes a mistake there are cries to change the keeper.

matty_f
07-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Completely agree we needed a RB and probably even a CH but for whatever reason we didn't get them.

Still happy we've got goalies and cover now though. I know we've got 4 but Maka is obviously not in his plans and is probably only still here as noone came in for him in January and he's decided to see his contract out. We'll be down to 3 next year.

One problem we have with it is all 3 keepers appear to be of a similar standard (and no obvious no. 1) and as soon as one makes a mistake there are cries to change the keeper.

Does anyone know if Jamie McDonald kept his place in the Yam's side after his howlers at Easter Road?

Danderhall Hibs
07-05-2010, 01:24 PM
Does anyone know if Jamie McDonald kept his place in the Yam's side after his howlers at Easter Road?

Just checked - he played.

Happy about that that laddie's a bombscare.

hibee_girl
07-05-2010, 01:29 PM

I wouldn't say Maka has nothing to prove

Danderhall Hibs
07-05-2010, 01:30 PM

:agree: He's got a lot to prove. And a contract to "win" elsewhere.

PeterboroHibee
07-05-2010, 01:32 PM
Ridiculous decision. Hes cost us so many goals in the last two games, definitely 2 points against Well and we could very well have won against Hearts if he hadnt managed to mess it up.

If ever there was a case for dropping a keeper, this is it. I also thought Smith and Bamba didnt work together? Honestly cant see Yogis thinking, if Smith makes another howler and it costs us the game things could be worse than they were after the Well game in terms of people calling for him to go!

.Sean.
07-05-2010, 01:37 PM
I hope he's taking earplugs :agree:

Pretty Boy
07-05-2010, 01:46 PM

He's got plenty to prove. Unfortunately for him he has had 3 years to do it and failed to do so.

Pretty Boy
07-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I hope he's taking earplugs :agree:

Why?

Are fans already planning to abuse him before a ball has even been kicked this weekend?

TornadoHibby
07-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Well let me explain in simple terms for you:rolleyes: Makalamity is being released Smith has a contract so it in his interest to play well and try and help us in to a Europa cup place

Thanks for keeping it very simple for me assuming that you have the situation factually correct! :wink: :yawn:

Why did Smith have such howlers in at least the Hearts and Motherwell games then when he has so much to prove and why should we expect him to do any better this week-end than he did on Wednesday night? :dunno: :cool2:

TornadoHibby
07-05-2010, 02:00 PM

Just checked - he played.

Happy about that that laddie's a bombscare.

Sorry guys (are you two a double act by the way? :wink: :greengrin) but I'm not getting the relevenace of this to the Hibs situation which is what I imagine you are alluding to? :confused:

Surely their manager has different ideas on how to pick his team than Yogi does and they both have different goalkeeping squads and related skill levels and current injuries etc to deal with! :dunno: :hmmm:

Hibby 2005
07-05-2010, 02:08 PM
By playing Smith, who's confidence must be shot, Yogi is either mad or a genius of psychology.

Answers on a postcard.

matty_f
07-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Sorry guys (are you two a double act by the way? :wink: :greengrin) but I'm not getting the relevenace of this to the Hibs situation which is what I imagine you are alluding to? :confused:

Surely their manager has different ideas on how to pick his team than Yogi does and they both have different goalkeeping squads and related skill levels and current injuries etc to deal with! :dunno: :hmmm:

The relevance is that managers will often stick by a keeper who is not enjoying good form. The Yams' keeper was terrible against us, but then went on to keep a clean sheet against United. The boy Gomes at Spurs had a terrible time at first and was getting ripped in the press and media relentlessly, and has since become one of the best keepers in the league.

IberianHibernian
07-05-2010, 02:49 PM
If Maka was match fit ( physically and mentally ) I reckon he`d have played at Motherwell and Tannadice but having seen he was being pushed out 4 months ago and after being back home for personal reasons recently he may not be ready . Whatever happens on Sunday , we`re stuck with Smith and Brown ( how good will he be after a year without first team football ? ) for next season as I can`t see Stack hanging around to be a reserve .

TornadoHibby
07-05-2010, 02:50 PM
The relevance is that managers will often stick by a keeper who is not enjoying good form. The Yams' keeper was terrible against us, but then went on to keep a clean sheet against United. The boy Gomes at Spurs had a terrible time at first and was getting ripped in the press and media relentlessly, and has since become one of the best keepers in the league.

Co-incidence I suspect (not relevance!) since all situations you note are mutually exclusive from a statistical relationship point of view! :wink: :greengrin

J-C
07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
By playing Smith, who's confidence must be shot, Yogi is either mad or a genius of psychology.

Answers on a postcard.

Or he could just be a mad psychologist. :greengrin

brog
07-05-2010, 03:08 PM
I really don't want to sound like a "told you so" type but I always thought he looked average at best at Well. He let in too many bad goals for me.

I also have never really rated Mark Brown so hopefully I'm totally wrong on that front!

With everyone fit, I'd pick Stack every time. For me he's only really made 1 big mistake, which granted, was at Tynie. But for the majority of his games he's been steady IMO.

I agree 100%, particularly re Mark Brown. I hope I'm proved wrong bit I hae ma doots!

Scotthibs1875
07-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Maka is NOT the answer. Smith is a better keeper than him he was at fault for 2 goals and now he is suddenly worse than makalamby. Ffs get a grip

Badge
07-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Maka is NOT the answer. Smith is a better keeper than him he was at fault for 2 goals and now he is suddenly worse than makalamby. Ffs get a grip
Think he was at fault for goals 3, 4 and 5.

Jamesie
07-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Then he obviously didn't get concussed in the second half on Wednesday after all.

EasterRoad4Ever
07-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Surely his confidence will be planted to the bottom of the water of Leith!?

:brickwall:grr::timebomb:

Worst goalkeeping performance of the year in any British league. The only question left is how many goals are our strikers going to have to score to win the game - to make up for Smith?

yekimevol
07-05-2010, 10:15 PM
yes but if we read through yogi poor attempt at mimicing the special one. at the derby he said that hanlon, hogg would not be playing but did so im not listening to him ill wait till i see them walk out the tunnel on sunday

AFKA5814_Hibs
07-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Just goes to show we have no real choice in goals. We have four goalkeepers, two of them are injured and two of them are ******, wonderful. :rolleyes:

FFS, the last Hibs manager to find a decent goalkeeper was Alex Miller and he found two, Andy Goram and Jim Leighton, since then we've had a succession of absolute p!sh. :grr:

Diclonius
07-05-2010, 10:53 PM

Of course not.

However, Smith's form right now is borderline suicidal and playing him would effectively guarantee us no points.

Applying the above logic, Maka - whatever his shortcomings - is a stick on.

KiddA
07-05-2010, 11:39 PM

This is true, if Smith has another nightmare he will be joining Maka at the end of the season :agree:

KWJ
08-05-2010, 04:25 AM

I can see what Yogi's getting at here. With either goalkeeper, Smith

or Maka, you'll be taking a chance.

:agree:

I'd personally go with Maka but there's no doubt i'd still be keeking it everytime the ball went near the box.

Smith is a good keeper, mind being in awe at his performance in France against Nancy.

matty_f
08-05-2010, 09:23 AM
The Gomes case is a good example. The thing is though that he was an excellent goalie when he arrived at Spurs. Made some howlers that were hard to believe and now is back to what he was. . An excellent keeper. You can't use Smith in this analogy though as he was never excellent in the first place. We do have another keeper on our books that your analogy would work with. The only difference is that he never made any howlers in the same catagory as Gomes' and he never got an extended run to prove it. A twist of fate as I remember things as Redknapp had to keep playing him as his other keepers were injured at that time. :lips seal

Fair point, but I don't know if any of us have seen enough of Brown or Stack to know if they were excellent goalies before.

Maka came from a good club but was completely unproven at first team level, so the argument there doesn't stand up either.

Smith was, IIRC, a good SPL level keeper at Motherwell, and I suspect he's still a good SPL level keeper now.

Baldy Foghorn
08-05-2010, 09:51 AM
ahhhh the wonderful hibs net and the fickleness that goes with it.....

Was not that long ago that Makalambay should never play again, Stack should be dropped, and now Smith should never play again as he is a jambo:devil:

FWIW I think Smith had no chance at goals 1, 2, 3 and 6..... although should have saved goal 4 and was beaten and left badly exposed for the 5th.......

If I was Smith I would be asking serious questions of my defence, who at times on Wednesday were posted missing......

And Hanlon and Murray culpable on Wednesday for some goals with poor defending just like in the Hearts game last week......

Still don't let that stop you all bashing another keeper....

truehibernian
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
I would say Chris Hogg is by far and away more culpable for Hibs defensive woes this latter part of the season, both footballing wise and leadership wise. The fact that Yogi has come out in the media and stated that "this wouldn't have happened with Rob Jones in defence" says two things. We lack a real hard, physical leader, and he is having a right dig at Hogg. I hope so as he is one of the worst defenders I have clapped my eyes on at Easter Road. Smith has made some impressive saves, as have all the Hibs keepers at some stage this season. But they need a good, solid bank of four in front of them, and ours are as weak as p*ss. Hanlon will regress if he plays alongside a player he simply cannot learn anything from. Murray lacks cover on his flank as Derek is not a midfielder, and Thicot is not a right back. All this combined makes a keepers job a busy one and far more likely to introduce errors along the way. No one closes down crosses, attacks balls into the box, forces attackers inside. They simply wait for balls to come into the box and even then they are slow to react and they have no defensive instinct. You used to see big Rob come off the park with shirts and shorts ripped, blood on cuts and bruises, the occasional bandaged heid, throat hoarse from shouting at folk. Hogg comes off the park head bowed, shoulders looking like they are carrying a hod of bricks and still not having to break into that packet of stepsils. Get some experience and some hard bar stewards in there and we can prevent a lot of these soft soft goals and perhaps frighten our players into action and concentrating/working to the 90th minute.

matty_f
08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
There's maybe an argument to say that at his best he's not much different to MaCdonald,Langfield,Alexander and the likes of them.

Yep, he's probably about that level.

Feed McGraw
08-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Smith has made, and will make, mistakes, but, IMO, he is a decent keeper. I have never rated Makalamby from the first time I clapped eyes on him - he has his defence and the crowd in a total state of anxiety from start to finish.My mate used to call him a "laxative".

HibbyKeith
08-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Just goes to show we have no real choice in goals. We have four goalkeepers, two of them are injured and two of them are ******, wonderful. :rolleyes:

FFS, the last Hibs manager to find a decent goalkeeper was Alex Miller and he found two, Andy Goram and Jim Leighton, since then we've had a succession of absolute p!sh. :grr:

Personally thought that Daniel Andersson was a very good keeper.

JennaFletcher
08-05-2010, 08:40 PM
Smith has made, and will make, mistakes, but, IMO, he is a decent keeper. I have never rated Makalamby from the first time I clapped eyes on him - he has his defence and the crowd in a total state of anxiety from start to finish.My mate used to call him a "laxative".

Smith should never play for Hibernian again. Maka isn't the greatest but I believe he could have done a better job on Wednesday.

JE89
08-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Smith should never play for Hibernian again. Maka isn't the greatest but I believe he could have done a better job on Wednesday.

:bitchy: If we had this policy for every player (two poor games and they are gone) we would have no players.

I think he is a decent keeper and better than Maka.

Golden Bear
08-05-2010, 08:45 PM
:bitchy: If we had this policy for every player (two poor games and they are gone) we would have no players.

I think he is a decent keeper and better than Maka.

I'd agree with that.

Baldy Foghorn
09-05-2010, 07:36 AM

He took a head knock at 6-2, and looked decidely groggy....... Ask yourself why he was not subbed.......:confused:

That is now twice this season, I can recall that our keeper has taken a knock and been left to play on, as Hughes did not fancy the sub goalie on the bench, in Flynn and Makalambay......

In that case why bother with a sub keeper on the bench?:confused:

Brooster
09-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Brown was put through his paces on Friday, even when Smith and Maka left - whether that is part of his rehab or something more pressing I dont know!! :devil:

fyfey
09-05-2010, 09:31 AM
i would have maka in goals today, not because smith has no confidence, just i think maka has the ability to be a better goalkeeper than him. i dont think ive ever seen smith come for a cross and command his area which puts pressure on the defence, which is also pretty soft and doesnt take any responsibility. Makas problem is he has no concentration, ive seen him make some great saves and come for crosses to take the pressure of the whole team, but its not consistant enuf, which is why he makes so many errors. Has brown been injured since he came to hibs? if not i have no idea how hes never been given a chance!

truehibernian
09-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Drop Hogg, put in Bamba, and the defensive situation will be vastly improved IMO. Keep Smith in goals.

Supraninja
09-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Thought it was da rules yo.

snooky
09-05-2010, 10:19 AM
I would say Chris Hogg is by far and away more culpable for Hibs defensive woes this latter part of the season, both footballing wise and leadership wise. The fact that Yogi has come out in the media and stated that "this wouldn't have happened with Rob Jones in defence" says two things. We lack a real hard, physical leader, and he is having a right dig at Hogg. I hope so as he is one of the worst defenders I have clapped my eyes on at Easter Road. Smith has made some impressive saves, as have all the Hibs keepers at some stage this season. But they need a good, solid bank of four in front of them, and ours are as weak as p*ss. Hanlon will regress if he plays alongside a player he simply cannot learn anything from. Murray lacks cover on his flank as Derek is not a midfielder, and Thicot is not a right back. All this combined makes a keepers job a busy one and far more likely to introduce errors along the way. No one closes down crosses, attacks balls into the box, forces attackers inside. They simply wait for balls to come into the box and even then they are slow to react and they have no defensive instinct. You used to see big Rob come off the park with shirts and shorts ripped, blood on cuts and bruises, the occasional bandaged heid, throat hoarse from shouting at folk. Hogg comes off the park head bowed, shoulders looking like they are carrying a hod of bricks and still not having to break into that packet of stepsils. Get some experience and some hard bar stewards in there and we can prevent a lot of these soft soft goals and perhaps frighten our players into action and concentrating/working to the 90th minute.

A player like the Yogmeister you mean?
That's what I find puzzling. Our defence is everything our manager wasn't as a player. i.e. Powder Puffs v Blood & Snotters

TornadoHibby
09-05-2010, 10:25 AM

He was and should not have been allowed to leave when he did IMO although it probably had something to do with player budgets and Andersson's demands!! :confused:

BEEJ
09-05-2010, 11:09 AM
That is now twice this season, I can recall that our keeper has taken a knock and been left to play on, as Hughes did not fancy the sub goalie on the bench, in Flynn and Makalambay......

Because one of the seven substitutes has to be a keeper. Put another way, if you don't have a keeper on your bench you are only allowed six subs.

In both the instances you note, if circumstances had arisen where the injury to the first choice keeper had been so severe that he had been physically unable to continue to play, then Yogi would have brought on the sub keeper rather than put an outfield player in goals.

However, it sounds to me like the decision last Wednesday was wrong; that Smith was suffering a bit from concussion and despite his own protestations he should have been subbed.

matty_f
09-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Clean sheet today, great call from Yogi to stick by his keeper, and well done to Smith as well.:wink:

--------
09-05-2010, 11:02 PM

Alex signed THREE more than decent keepers - Goram was the best keeper I've ever seen in the flesh; Leighton was top-class; and Budgie was more than competent and a great stop-gap signing.

:agree: Danny looked a real bomb-scare when he first arrived, but he settled down and developed into a good keeper - it was a great pity we couldn't keep him.

Because one of the seven substitutes has to be a keeper. Put another way, if you don't have a keeper on your bench you are only allowed six subs.

In both the instances you note, if circumstances had arisen where the injury to the first choice keeper had been so severe that he had been physically unable to continue to play, then Yogi would have brought on the sub keeper rather than put an outfield player in goals.

However, it sounds to me like the decision last Wednesday was wrong; that Smith was suffering a bit from concussion and despite his own protestations he should have been subbed.

That's right, BEEJ. One sub has to be a keeper.

And Smith was groggy and definitely not quite right after the knock he took around 67 minutes (6-2 or 6-3 the score at the time). He should have been subbed, and I think he probably would have been had either Stack or Brown been on the bench.

IMO Smith is a competent SPL keeper who makes mistakes from time to time, as every other keeper will unless he's a top-class player like Goram or Leighton (and even they made a blooper every now and again).

Some of us need to calm down and consider the possibility that going off on a "Bloggs must never play for Hibs again" tangent whenever we ship a few goals (regardless of whether Bloggs really did "sell the jersey" or whether the defenders in front of him left him more exposed than Lady Godiva at the South Pole) isn't actually the best way of encouraging our keepers to give their best for the club and the fans.

FWIW, I'd say that if there's one single Hibs defender who could be accused of being responsible for conceding silly and unnecessary goals this season - he isn't one of the goalies. :rolleyes:

KWJ
10-05-2010, 02:58 AM
the.physio.gave.the.thums.up.that.he.could.play.on .

--------
10-05-2010, 08:46 AM
the.physio.gave.the.thums.up.that.he.could.play.on .

I'm not sure just how accurate the "How many fingers can you see?" test really is. He looked groggy, and needed to get a bot of protection from his defence until his head cleared.

But then one has to ask - "What defence?"

Aw well, it's history. I just don't like the insinuations that the guy would have sold his employers and his team-mates and the fans down the river.

BTW - what's with the "the.physio.gave.the.thums.up" routine? :cool2:

Bad case of Keyboard Tourettes? :wink:

EDIT: Apologies. I see you had a beer mishap. My deepest condolences. G.