PDA

View Full Version : Is recovery possible without significant change?

hibees_green
07-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Trying not to think of the individuals involved, do people think that a team and manager (any team and manager) that has had our currrent run culminating in the 6-6 game can ever recover without significant change.

I actually wonder if the confidence that must be lost during such an experience is ever possible to replace from within.

I don't mean for a one off game, I mean in the long term.

Would the skeletons not always be behind you waiting to rise up?

My own feeling is probably not without exceptional individuals.

Phil MaGlass
07-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Thing is I think we dont need alot of change we have the players who can do the job,a simple changing of manager or our manager growing a pair and kicking asses one or two solid players in midfield and cb/ch and were laughing.

greenlex
07-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Possibly not. Some players are unable to shake poor and negative stuff off. I guess it's called winning mentallity.
The likes of Liam Miller on his day is a very good player but doesn't have that mentality. If we build a team round him fir instance the minute it gets tough we wouldcollapse .
The likes of John Rankin on his day an above a stage workhorse. Winning Mentality? nope.

Lack of skill can be replaced in part by it but this mentallity iswhat Hughes is trying to change. He has his work cut out as I don't see it in a single player at ER. His best signing in the Summer could be someone with if that others can see what it us and try and change.

Captain Trips
07-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Thing is I think we dont need alot of change we have the players who can do the job,a simple changing of manager or our manager growing a pair and kicking asses one or two solid players in midfield and cb/ch and were laughing.

Disagree Phil, think there needs to be a lot of changes to go forward, had a lot of this squad for 2 managers now and there have been too many errors and bad play IMO for it just to be down to tactics.

We certainly have some great players but as we saw of late the good is dragged down by the bad.

stubru59
07-05-2010, 08:28 AM
We currently do not possess the exceptional individuals required to make long term improvements.

Defensively, we poor to the point that even a four goal lead is not enough to carry us through.

Tactically, we are at best inflexible. In terms of fitness (and this can be seen by the number of late goals we have lost) we are hovering between poor and moderate.

Strength of character (or mental shape if you like) is simple not there.

Question is, whilst we know what's wrong, do we have the resources or wherewithal to put it right?

Captain Trips
07-05-2010, 08:35 AM
I would be looking to bring in 6 players for first team, as yet it will depend on whom is going that is bit part or a player that is good but we are offered good money.

matty_f
07-05-2010, 08:37 AM
I think we need to sort out a couple of key positions, then we can expect to see a significant difference.

IMHO, we need:-

A right back
An experienced centre half who will not be afraid to rattle a few cages, and who can organise and shore up the defence.
A left-sided midfielder, which would allow Riordan to play in the areas where he is most dangerous, rather than coming back to his own 18 yard box defending.
A strong, captain-material, central midfielder to help Miller be the player he is, and to give a bit of 'dig' to the midfield.

4 players. I think if we got 4 good quality players in for those positions, we've good enough players in other areas to have the core of a good side.

Captain Trips
07-05-2010, 08:47 AM
I think we need to sort out a couple of key positions, then we can expect to see a significant difference.

A right back
An experienced centre half who will not be afraid to rattle a few cages, and who can organise and shore up the defence.
A left-sided midfielder, which would allow Riordan to play in the areas where he is most dangerous, rather than coming back to his own 18 yard box defending.
A strong, captain-material, central midfielder to help Miller be the player he is, and to give a bit of 'dig' to the midfield.

4 players. I think if we got 4 good quality players in for those positions, we've good enough players in other areas to have the core of a good side.

I would say it all depends on who we sell, if we are not going to use Bamba in front of the defence then I dont mind if sold, IMO worth maybe the figures branded about in that position not been impressed with him in other areas.

Bamba in front of defence I would play and be happy, if Hughes thinks other position then rather take the money and try new signings. He is worth about £1m as a def mid and £200-300k as a defender.

Put Murray in front of defence and sign a complete new defence IMO, look at 2 or 3 midfielders also

Leith Green
07-05-2010, 08:57 AM

A right back

Add a big physical striker like a Killen type and your spot on!

sahib
07-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Trying not to think of the individuals involved, do people think that a team and manager (any team and manager) that has had our currrent run culminating in the 6-6 game can ever recover without significant change.

I actually wonder if the confidence that must be lost during such an experience is ever possible to replace from within.

I don't mean for a one off game, I mean in the long term.

Would the skeletons not always be behind you waiting to rise up?

My own feeling is probably not without exceptional individuals.

Things could also get worse with wholesale change. There are seven places below us remember:panic:

Hibby 2005
07-05-2010, 09:31 AM
The problem is we'll begin next season in recovery mode rather than in progressive mode.

Contrast going into next season having finished well clear in 3rd as opposed to where we are now, scrapping to get past Motherwell.

Good players who might have been interested in coming to Hibs will be a lot less inclined to do so now.

The almighty collapse we've had will take some time to turn around and while
Yogi will get new players in, apparently he only needs one or two, his Managerial ability is still very much up for question.

IWasThere2016
07-05-2010, 09:36 AM
The problem is we'll begin next season in recovery mode rather than in progressive mode.

Contrast going into next season having finished well clear in 3rd as opposed to where we are now, scrapping to get past Motherwell.

Good players who might have been interested in coming to Hibs will be a lot less inclined to do so now.

The almighty collapse we've had will take some time to turn around and while
Yogi will get new players in, apparently he only needs one or two, his Managerial ability is still very much up for question.

I think that matters at the top end of the game eg the lure of Europe etc. At the Hibs end it is the wage IMHO that tops the players' priorities. Unless we can get more ala Deeks, Stokes, Miller with their career re-building in mind.

Expecting Rain
07-05-2010, 09:44 AM

A right back

The core a good side is there and i agree with you regarding the positions which we need to strengthen, i``m just as worried about the managerial position, we`re tactically inept in a poor league.

Captain Trips
07-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I think that matters at the top end of the game eg the lure of Europe etc. At the Hibs end it is the wage IMHO that tops the players' priorities. Unless we can get more ala Deeks, Stokes, Miller with their career re-building in mind.

I agree maybe take that on further, I think that even if we finished 3rd we would stil be luring the same players as we will be in the summer. As you say at our end its going to be wages, I cannot imagine anyone signing for us for 2 to 3 years based on us playing a few matches in Europe.

Franck is God
07-05-2010, 12:01 PM
There is talent in the squad currently and only three or four of the right kind of players could tie it all together.

Both full back positions and central midfield are the areas that need the most improvement for me.

I've always rated Kevin McCann and although he is fit Yogi seems reluctant to use him so he's obvioulsy not sure about him as a player or his ability to last 90 minutes.

I also liked Ian Murray but he has been dreadful since the new year and I for one look at his entire display in a game not the single crunching tackle that he invariably provides once each game that gets a cheer from the sidelines.

Our central midfield issues were obvious in the last 20-30 minutes of the game on Wednesday when nobody wanted to take the ball and more importantly keep it.

It may not be a popular opinion but Michael Stewart would be high on my list and Arfield reminds me a lot of Scott Brown when he was first played in a midfield role.

As for full backs, I would see Broadfoot as a cheap version of Whittaker but he has a good attitude and was St Mirren captain and POTY before he signed for Rangers. Mulgrew from Aberdeen or Stevie Smith from Rangers would both be an improvement on Murray.

How about this side to start the new season?

Mark Brown

Broadfoot
Hogg
Hanlon
Mulgrew

Arfield
Stewart
Miller

Zemmama
Stokes
Riordan

Subs from - Smith, Stack, McCann, Thicot, Murray, Booth, McBride, Rankin, Wotherspoon, Galbraith, Nish, Byrne, Benji?, Gow?

3pm
07-05-2010, 12:02 PM

A right back

The players coming in need certain attributes as well - height, strength, pace.

--------
07-05-2010, 01:01 PM
There's also the matter of the corporate ethos of the club.

Are we convinced that EVERYONE - that's everyone from the owner to the tea-ladies, btw - is fervently committed to seeing us achieve success on the park?

Do we have a culture and attitude of success?

No, I didn't think so. There's a lot more wrong at ER than just the team and the manager.

yekimevol
07-05-2010, 02:04 PM
I don’t believe so because there’s to many players we need. Up front we need at least one target man. In the middle of the park we need 2 powerhouse midfielders to stop us getting pushed of the ball. Also in the middle we need at least two wide player because yogi only seems to like wortherspoon and not any of the other kids and I included danny in that. At the back we need full backs and two towering center backs. In goals I don’t know what we need maybe a danny andersson