PDA

View Full Version : So what do we do about it?

RoscoHibby
06-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Its blatantly obvious that the defence is a problem, so what do we do going forward? Complete overhaul? One or 2 only needed?

With Bamba likely to be away, Murray looking a shadow of himself just now, Hogg a nightmare, and Hanlon still developing, something needs to give. There has been an elemant of bottle crashing in our defence for some time, I personally would go for the overhaul option.

I'd sign 3 or 4 6ft 2+ scandanavian/european sh*t kickers, at least 15 stone and with that "wouldn't spill his pint" look.

Current incumbants are too small, confidence can go at any second, usually bullied in the SPL and generally not good enough. Defending is meant to be the easiest part of the game (obviously an art to tackling, but know what I mean) at least if you know your gonna be solid, then the good play we know is in there, may have a chance to flourish.

Nothing fancy, just a few bruisers in the Garry Kenneth/Lee wilkie mould, just need to pass the ball 5-10yds as you always have miller/mcbride and sometimes rankin trying to start the play.

ruthven_raiders
06-05-2010, 04:53 PM
2 centre halves and 2 full backs with mark brown no.1 and stack as back up, every team needs to know who their no 1 goalkeeper is every week, have hanlon, taggert and booth as back ups and gaining experience from new guys................simples really:thumbsup:

PISTOL1875
06-05-2010, 04:57 PM
Its blatantly obvious that the defence is a problem, so what do we do going forward? Complete overhaul? One or 2 only needed?

With Bamba likely to be away, Murray looking a shadow of himself just now, Hogg a nightmare, and Hanlon still developing, something needs to give. There has been an elemant of bottle crashing in our defence for some time, I personally would go for the overhaul option.

I'd sign 3 or 4 6ft 2+ scandanavian/european sh*t kickers, at least 15 stone and with that "wouldn't spill his pint" look.

Current incumbants are too small, confidence can go at any second, usually bullied in the SPL and generally not good enough. Defending is meant to be the easiest part of the game (obviously an art to tackling, but know what I mean) at least if you know your gonna be solid, then the good play we know is in there, may have a chance to flourish.

Nothing fancy, just a few bruisers in the Garry Kenneth/Lee wilkie mould, just need to pass the ball 5-10yds as you always have miller/mcbride and sometimes rankin trying to start the play.

HOw about we start with a manager who has an idea about tactics and shutting up shop when required ???

RoscoHibby
06-05-2010, 04:59 PM
HOw about we start with a manager who has an idea about tactics and shutting up shop when required ???

I was raging with Hughes last night and have been for a while now, with shape and subs being my particular gripe. Dont think we need to be changing managers every season, prob had more than hertz recently! He still gets until january for me as the players need to take a lot of the blame aswell.

RoYO!
06-05-2010, 05:05 PM
what i cant quite comprehend is that we've been so intolerably s*** for so long now and can still finish 4th without too much of a stretch in imagination.

how crap must the rest of the league be?

PISTOL1875
06-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I was raging with Hughes last night and have been for a while now, with shape and subs being my particular gripe. Dont think we need to be changing managers every season, prob had more than hertz recently! He still gets until january for me as the players need to take a lot of the blame aswell.

The players take some blame but the buck stops with Hughes.. 6-5 up with 4 minutes to go and he takes a forward off and BRINGS ON ANOTHER FORWARD FFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What planet is the guy on ?? He has no basic tactical knowledge of shutting up shop does he ?? He only knows one way and that is to attack.... The alarm bells have been ringing for a while now and last night was the final straw.. If he can't make the easiest tactical sub ever then he should get the bullet...

basehibby
06-05-2010, 05:23 PM

I don't think there's any chance of a mass clear out and neither do I think it would be a good idea - players will generally move on only when their contract runs out afterall - unless paid handsome compensation or transfered somewhere else for at least equivalent wages.
What I think/hope will happen is that at least one QUALITY centre half will be signed along with a QUALITY right-back. We could also do with a good defensive midfielder and a pacy winger.
I think the idea of a mass clear out is fatally flawed - there's absolutely no point in turfing loads of players out of the club unless they can be replaced with markedly better talent, and that is easier said than done without splashing around enormous amounts of money (and even then success is very far from guaranteed).
Gradual and steady improvement season on season is what we need and hopefully what we'll see. One or two good signings can make an enormous difference to a team afterall (remember Sauzee and Latapy for example) - so fingers crossed we will see the sort of signing that will add some mental toughness and resilience to the side along with complementing the talent which exists there already.

RoscoHibby
06-05-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't think there's any chance of a mass clear out and neither do I think it would be a good idea - players will generally move on only when their contract runs out afterall - unless paid handsome compensation or transfered somewhere else for at least equivalent wages.
What I think/hope will happen is that at least one QUALITY centre half will be signed along with a QUALITY right-back. We could also do with a good defensive midfielder and a pacy winger.
I think the idea of a mass clear out is fatally flawed - there's absolutely no point in turfing loads of players out of the club unless they can be replaced with markedly better talent, and that is easier said than done without splashing around enormous amounts of money (and even then success is very far from guaranteed).
Gradual and steady improvement season on season is what we need and hopefully what we'll see. One or two good signings can make an enormous difference to a team afterall (remember Sauzee and Latapy for example) - so fingers crossed we will see the sort of signing that will add some mental toughness and resilience to the side along with complementing the talent which exists there already.

But I'm not suggesting a mass clear out, an overhaul of the problem defence, as in my original post. Some may be moved on if feasible, but i'm suggesting 3-4 physically imposing, no nonsense defenders, all that required IMO. Not as if someone could play like beckenbaur in the SPL anyway. Coupla big, nasty, hairy, hatchet men for me.

Plus, we've been mince at the back for aslong as I can remember. Hogg is the captain and has been part of it, if he is being dominated/bottle goes, what chance have the rest of them got. It works both ways, the defenders see bamba screaming over the top of the CF bang, header goes 40yds up the park, everyone takes confidence. Equally, Hogg misses his kick completely/gets skinned, everyone gets nervous. Overhaul of the defence for me.

And this isn't about hughes, already enough of those threads today!

500miles
06-05-2010, 05:40 PM
A natural right back, and a big dominant centre half. Seems minimal, and simple, but the latter especially, is very difficult to get your hands on. That's what our back 4 need. Calum Woods from Dunfermline is out of contract in the summer, and one that the club, not just Yogi, have had an eye on for a while.

The big centre half? That's more difficult.....

FranckSuzy
06-05-2010, 05:41 PM
what i cant quite comprehend is that we've been so intolerably s*** for so long now and can still finish 4th without too much of a stretch in imagination.

how crap must the rest of the league be?

Exactly :agree:

basehibby
06-05-2010, 05:46 PM
But I'm not suggesting a mass clear out, an overhaul of the problem defence, as in my original post. Some may be moved on if feasible, but i'm suggesting 3-4 physically imposing, no nonsense defenders, all that required IMO. Not as if someone could play like beckenbaur in the SPL anyway. Coupla big, nasty, hairy, hatchet men for me.

Plus, we've been mince at the back for aslong as I can remember. Hogg is the captain and has been part of it, if he is being dominated/bottle goes, what chance have the rest of them got. It works both ways, the defenders see bamba screaming over the top of the CF bang, header goes 40yds up the park, everyone takes confidence. Equally, Hogg misses his kick completely/gets skinned, everyone gets nervous. Overhaul of the defence for me.

And this isn't about hughes, already enough of those threads today!

I agree that defence is the area which requires most attention, however, just being a bruiser is not enough - experience is what's needed and they need to have ability as well - otherwise, no improvement and hence no point.

SneakersO'Toole
06-05-2010, 06:55 PM
When it comes to the defence, one thing that I actually agree with Hughes on is the mental toughness. Half these jokers in the squad don't know the meaning of the words.

You can have limited talent but if you have the mental side of the game nailed its half the battle. Steven Pressely and Stephen McManus are prime examples. With the ball at their feet they are hopeless but when it comes to bullying the opposition, putting you neck on the line, first to every ball, heart on the sleeve, winning mentality etc etc these guys will always prove to be valuable assets to any team.

We fundamentally lack this and its critical to why our defensive record is so dismal. But more importantly, why we can't hold onto leads/games.

sesoim
06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
We need four new defenders, with Murray and Bamba (if he's still here) pushed forward into midfield beside Miller and Zemmama. I'd also sign a big target man to play beside Stokes or Riordan.

The players I would move on to pay for the new arrivals' wages: Maka, Smith, McCormack, Hogg (maybe), Stevenson, Rankin, Cregg, Nish, Gow and Benji. Bamba and Stokes might go as well, but it could be worth our while to cash in on them.