PDA

View Full Version : Since January

ShanksSaidNo
06-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Trying to put my finger on exactly what happend circa January that has caused us to capitulate into a rank rotten 2 wins out of 17 type side.

Simply saying "Yogi hasn't got a clue" doesnt quite cut it. It must be way more than that.

A few thoughts regarding certain players that i dont understand:

Wotherspoon went from being 'the best young thing in Scottish Football' to pretty much a passanger. Did he simply burn out as we feared? I dont buy the burn out/too many games for a lad theory. Players that make it to the top level dont 'burn out'.
Liam Miller went from 'potential overall player of the year' to a player that just see's games out without actually stamping his obvious ability on games and not even getting nominated.
In Stack (after the 1-1 game at Ibrox in particular) we looked to have finally found a steady goalie to a side that rotates 3 different goalies on an almost weekly basis.
McBride I have sympathy for - he started his career at Hibs very well but has been really hampered by injury.
Bamba - an apparent stick on for a move to the Premiership to a berty bombscare
Hogg - started the season being appointed as club captain and the man to lead us through 'Yogi's vision' to a silent centre half who hides and doesnt look comfortable being at Hibs never mind wearing the armband.
Rankin seemingly not good enough for long spells of his Hibs career to a starter in every single game.
Benji, although not great played a key role in the hole behind the strikers during our run of good form early on in the season, then became a player who gets 10/15mins max at the end of games!
What the ***** has happened to our 'Old Firm splitting' side since January?

roondheid
06-05-2010, 01:06 PM
Think it was Jan/Feb when Yogi came out with the 'I want third place' when things started to go pear-shaped.

Maybe the players couldn't handle that pressure, if so they're in the wrong job

M11BMO
06-05-2010, 01:18 PM
Trying to put my finger on exactly what happend circa January that has caused us to capitulate into a rank rotten 2 wins out of 17 type side.

Simply saying "Yogi hasn't got a clue" doesnt quite cut it. It must be way more than that.

Wotherspoon went from being 'the best young thing in Scottish Football' to pretty much a passanger. Did he simply burn out as we feared? I dont buy the burn out/too many games for a lad theory. Players that make it to the top level dont 'burn out'.
Liam Miller went from 'potential overall player of the year' to a player that just see's games out without actually stamping his obvious ability on games and not even getting nominated.
In Stack (after the 1-1 game at Ibrox in particular) we looked to have finally found a steady goalie to a side that rotates 3 different goalies on an almost weekly basis.
McBride I have sympathy for - he started his career at Hibs very well but has been really hampered by injury.
Hogg - started the season being appointed as club captain and the man to lead us through 'Yogi's vision' to a silent centre half who hides and doesnt look comfortable being at Hibs never mind wearing the armband.
Rankin seemingly not good enough for long spells of his Hibs career to a starter in every single game.
Benji, although not great played a key role in the hole behind the strikers during our run of good form early on in the season, then became a player who gets 10/15mins max at the end of games!

Spot on with that post. :agree:

weonlywon6-2
06-05-2010, 01:20 PM

other teams and managers sussed us out and we dont know how to combat it

Speedy
06-05-2010, 01:20 PM
I got a half season ticket...sorry lads :boo hoo:

K.Marx
06-05-2010, 01:26 PM

The thing is personally I don't think we have been playing well all season, even before this rut started we were sneaking through games 1-0 and a lot of teams who played us were feeling very hard done by. How many games could we truly say we dominated and played great in, 4/5??

Andy74
06-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Mid February I think really.

A few reasons which i am sure will be disnmissed as poor excuses but anyway:

Youngsters cannot last a season, not when playing under 19s previously. Wotherspoon has not been the same for a while now but understandable.

Hanlon -very young for a centre half, sometimes brilliant, often out his depth.

McBride was really key for us and got injured for a long spell and was not right even when he came back off and on.

Zemmama was a major factor in our early season form, injured then out for the season.

Bamba - went away to play casual football in the sun and came back to the worst winter in decades - seemed to really do him in and he has hardly been the same since, then got suspended.

Miller and Stokes - hardly played a full season in their career and it shows a wee bit in their overall play when asked now to be key players. Miller plays better with a dsciplined player beside him, since February he's had the likes of Stevenson and Rankin instead of mcBride.

Squad use - we've had to play guys like McCormack, Stevenson, Rankin and Thicot more than we did earlier and they range from not good enough to not experienced enough when all around is not doing so well.

Keepers - Stack is probably first choice and has been injured for long spells, Smith did well only to lose some form as well. Brown out for the season.

Hogg - tries but I now think not good enough for where we want to be. Better with a big man next to him and not as the main man as he has been.

Pitches - Like it or not we have players who like to play on better pitches. When they got worse so did we and it gave the more industrial teams a bit of an advantage as they can still carry on and play their way.

Luck has also deserted us a bit and the thing with thse runs is that they breeed themselves, the further you get into it the more likely things like last minute goals are because the players are nervous and lacking confidence.

East Stand - Has it made a difference to Easter Road? Probably.

Overall - we have no real right back, little exprience or physical presence our key players have been injured or missing at various stages, we've struggled against bigger teams and we couldn;t get the right players to help out in the window.

I can see us being able to put an awful lot of that right with the minimum of fuss.

And you a e right, saying Yogi hasn't got a clue isn't really it.

silverhibee
06-05-2010, 01:47 PM

It all went pearshaped at the huns game at Ibrox, after that wee all know what has happened, Yogi made a number of changes to the team that day and Hibs have never looked at the race's since then.

hibbie02
06-05-2010, 01:49 PM
It is the same as what happens to us every season it seems. We always seem to get worse after the turn of the year. Can anyone remember a season where we had a decent run in? Even when we qualify for Europe we have to stumble over the finishing line. We are particularly gash after the ridiculous SPL split.

Anyway I said all season we were not god enough to split the OF and unlikely to get 3rd. I was pointing out that we were scraping wins when playing badly and I got all this crap back about it being the sign of a good team. No is was a sign of a lucky team, over achieving. I pointed out our defence was shee-ite and got all the crap back about being 2nd best in the league/UK, blah, blah, blah. That same defence (plus assorted average keepers) is still there and still shee-ite. At the end of the day anyone could see we were average at best and it was only Stokes and Deek in the early season that were keeping us punching above our weight.

I gives me no pleasure to post comments like these, but I was sick of being told I was talking bollocks, when a blind man could see there were major problems on the pitch. No Right Back, Inconsistent CB's, Midfield undermanned, over ran and not big enough, Deek playing too wide and Stokes lacking proper support. FFS, what is wrong with 4-4-2 some of the time???

KWJ
06-05-2010, 01:58 PM
I agree with Andy and sadly Hibee02, who I might have disagreed with when everything was rosy. Reckon I was probably a little bit level headed though.....

2nd half of that Rangers game at Ibrox. KABLOOM!

hibbie02
06-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I agree with Andy and sadly Hibee02, who I might have disagreed with when everything was rosy. Reckon I was probably a little bit level headed though.....

2nd half of that Rangers game at Ibrox. KABLOOM!

:greengrin

KWJ
06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
couldn't even spell hibbie right. :bitchy:

Are you still at PwC?

hibbie02
06-05-2010, 02:39 PM
couldn't even spell hibbie right. :bitchy:

Are you still at PwC?

Naw left them in 2004.......:wink: At Reuters at the moment.....but not for much longer.

KWJ
06-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Naw left them in 2004.......:wink: At Reuters at the moment.....but not for much longer.

wee bit ago then :greengrin

i finally left last year.

hibsbollah
06-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Stuff 'going on behind the scenes'. :rolleyes: