PDA

View Full Version : It's Only A Theory - A Conspiracy Theory

Future17
06-05-2010, 11:54 AM
After Hibs lost 1-0 to Dundee United at Tannadice and slipped to 4th place in the league, it was publicised that "motivational guru" Watt Nicol was to be given access to the squad.

What followed was a run of 4 straight wins, a 14-4 aggregate score in our favour, including two 5-1 wins and a victory over Celtic at Parkhead.

However since then, Hibs have won just twice in 17 games, including a 5-1 loss to St Johnstone, a 4-1 loss to Hamilton, a 4-2 loss to Dundee United, a Scottish Cup elimination at Ross County, two derby defeats. The two victories have come against the SPL's bottom two clubs.

Possibly the most alarming statistic is that, during this run of 17 games, Hibs have been in a winning position in 9 of them. From those 9 games, Hibs have won 2, drawn 3 and lost 4.

I love statistics and the patterns they show. I read from this information that Hibs have an attitude problem. A mental problem if you will. If our problems are psychological - what is the source?

This question led me to research Mr Watt Nicol in more detail and I see that, as well as motivational techniques, he also trains on memory and "brain-training". I can also find no details of any qualifications he holds or any professional accreditation of his work.

So, in summary, Hibernian have given an apparently unqualified and unaccredited individual, who likes to dabble with the workings of the brain, access to their staff.

In a totally unrelated develpopment, after an initial boost, our form has detoriated spectacularly, and we have failed to hold winning positions in almost 80% games where we have held a lead, since Mr Nicol's arrival on the scene.

My questions are these:

1) Does anybody know if we have a contract with Watt Nicol or is his work with us on an ad-hoc basis?

2) Does anybody believe in negative hypnosis?

3) Have I lost the frickin' plot?

down the slope
06-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Watt Nichol !What a name he has, his mother must have dropped an American coin when she named him !

SRHibs
06-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Watt Nicol: Yam Fud.:agree:

:wink:

Bayern Bru
06-05-2010, 12:05 PM
1) Does anybody know if we have a contract with Watt Nicol or is his work with us on an ad-hoc basis?

AFAIK, it's not contracted and it was an almost unofficial thing. Mind games perhaps (no pun intended) as it led to the 4 straight wins.

To a certain degree yes. I mean, I'm much of the opinion that it's a bit of a sham and it's potentially damaging psychologically (I've seen first hand what hypnosis can do to people and it ain't pretty at times), so yeah. When you think that some of these laddies aren't the brightest, this 'guru' trying to manipulate their brains can't be good for them. Just my opinion though.

That depends, is your name John Hughes? :wink:

I'm just unsure what happened to Nicol as he seemed to vanish after a while, unless he's doing a hell of a lot of unseen work.

Jim44
06-05-2010, 12:09 PM
He was a duff folk singer years ago, married/shacked up with a Miss Scotland dollybird, latched on to the motivational, positive psychology bandwagon and IMHO gets stacks of money for old rope.

Scorrie
06-05-2010, 12:11 PM
When I googled Watt Nicol I came across a folk singer from Dundee so maybe we hired the wrong one? :dunno:

Betty Boop
06-05-2010, 12:14 PM
When I googled Watt Nicol I came across a folk singer from Dundee so maybe we hired the wrong one? :dunno:

:faf:

Bayern Bru
06-05-2010, 12:14 PM
We'd have been better off with Hector Nicol.

Jack
06-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Your questions were these:

As far as I know it was just a few visits, certainly no contract. The story was only in the Daily Record IIRC. NW, I’ve seen him in action, is good as a motivational speaker although I think it would wear a bit thin after a while – maybe he has another line to take as a life coach.

He has worked with some big names, clubs and organisations and I would suppose that would be his credentials – the fact he gets asked back. I don’t recall a ‘o’ level in motivational speaking when I was at school!!!

Its not what he does.

Nah!

Sauzee07
06-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Watt Nicol has previously worked with Davie Moyes at Everton and, at that time, he spent a fair amount of time with Wayne Rooney. It doesn't seem to have had a long lasting negative effect on him.

I think a better, more realistic reason for our woes is that we are crap.:boo hoo:

I like your investigative style though.

Future17
06-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Its not what he does.

As far as we know and as far as you remember! :wink:

Watt Nicol has previously worked with Davie Moyes at Everton and, at that time, he spent a fair amount of time with Wayne Rooney. It doesn't seem to have had a long lasting negative effect on him.

I think a better, more realistic reason for our woes is that we are crap.:boo hoo:

I like your investigative style though.

It's amazing what being bored at work can do for you! :greengrin