PDA

View Full Version : More on last night - sorry

The Sea-gull
06-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Well a lot has already been said but given what can only be described as an amazing game there is a lot that has to be said.

I have waited until I've had time to think about it and here are my main points:-

1. Great attitude for the first 3/4s of the game - they looked up for it.

2. Great attacking play, passing and goals though every one of our goals (bar Deeks) came about because Motherwell defenders apparently don't think it is worth cutting out crosses and marking inside the box.

3. The final quarter we just imploded. Lack of confidence, ability, desire? All probably.

Looking at Well's goals:-

Goal 2 and 6 - the keeper had no chance though question marks over the marking at goal 2 and concern about Hanlon being out muscled for the second time in as many games for goal 6.

Goal 1 and Goal 3 - questionable defending and goal keeping but have seen worse.

Goal 4 and Goal 5 - poor keeper error for 4 and poor defending but what the hell was Smith doing flapping at the cross at goal 5.

So who is to blame the players or yogi? Both I would say but would tend to say that yogi got it right last night and at 6-2 up with a quarter to go no matter what subs or tactical decisions are or are't made - the game should be won.

The overall picture - Yogi doesn't deserve the sack but he has a lot or hard work and tough decisions to make. He has to decide if he can turn it around with these players or does he have to gamble by getting rid of the majority and bringing in a bunch of new players.

Dinkydoo
06-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Well a lot has already been said but given what can only be described as an amazing game there is a lot that has to be said.

I have waited until I've had time to think about it and here are my main points:-

1. Great attitude for the first 3/4s of the game - they looked up for it.

2. Great attacking play, passing and goals though every one of our goals (bar Deeks) came about because Motherwell defenders apparently don't think it is worth cutting out crosses and marking inside the box.

3. The final quarter we just imploded. Lack of confidence, ability, desire? All probably.

Looking at Well's goals:-

Goal 2 and 6 - the keeper had no chance though question marks over the marking at goal 2 and concern about Hanlon being out muscled for the second time in as many games for goal 6.

Goal 1 and Goal 3 - questionable defending and goal keeping but have seen worse.

Goal 4 and Goal 5 - poor keeper error for 4 and poor defending but what the hell was Smith doing flapping at the cross at goal 5.

So who is to blame the players or yogi? Both I would say but would tend to say that yogi got it right last night and at 6-2 up with a quarter to go no matter what subs or tactical decisions are or are't made - the game should be won.

The overall picture - Yogi doesn't deserve the sack but he has a lot or hard work and tough decisions to make. He has to decide if he can turn it around with these players or does he have to gamble by getting rid of the majority and bringing in a bunch of new players.

Agreed :top marks

IMO Yogi should have been urging the players to keep pushing forward after Motherwell got thier 3rd goal. Even without encouragement from Yogi at the sidelines the team shouldn't have sat back and attempted to 'hold' on with twenty minutes left.

It could easily have been 7 - 6.

The blame should be shared between manager and players with the players being maybe a little more accountable for last night's result.

The players put in an excellent performance up until our 6th goal and then undone all the good work by adopting the attitude they did.

Yogi could have changed our shape (for the better) when Deeks came off..... 451? ........but didn't.

Cropley10
06-05-2010, 11:39 AM
All this getting rid of players, wholesale clearout makes me laugh, we sound like Yams.

Players have contracts and it can be extremely difficult to move them on. On top of that we don't have the funds necessary to go and get another 6 players.

Yogi has already said there will only be a couple of additions :confused:

Jim44
06-05-2010, 11:46 AM
All this getting rid of players, wholesale clearout makes me laugh, we sound like Yams.

Players have contracts and it can be extremely difficult to move them on. On top of that we don't have the funds necessary to go and get another 6 players.

You're absolutely spot on. Any improvements will have to be conjured up by Hughes himself as there won't be a big turnover in playing staff. The million dollar question is 'Can he do it?'. Methinks not unfortunately.

Dinkydoo
06-05-2010, 11:47 AM

You appear to be the only one on this thread talking about "wholesale clearouts". What the OP said was:

"The overall picture - Yogi doesn't deserve the sack but he has a lot or hard work and tough decisions to make. He has to decide if he can turn it around with these players or does he have to gamble by getting rid of the majority and bringing in a bunch of new players."

I read it as the emphasis being on the decision part???? :confused:

The Sea-gull
06-05-2010, 11:57 AM
You appear to be the only one on this thread talking about "wholesale clearouts". What the OP said was:

"The overall picture - Yogi doesn't deserve the sack but he has a lot or hard work and tough decisions to make. He has to decide if he can turn it around with these players or does he have to gamble by getting rid of the majority and bringing in a bunch of new players."

I read it as the emphasis is on the decision part???? :confused:

Exaxtly - he has to decide if he can do it with this bunch if he thinks the answer is not then he has to try and move some on.

If the majority stay and we have a great season then we'll all be happy.

What I could see happening if players are not moved on and we do poorly, there will be a gradual break up of this squad over a couple of years as is the natural order of things. Whether Yogi is here to oversee it all remains to be seen.

(((Fergus)))
06-05-2010, 11:59 AM
why doesn't yogi just sprinkle some of his magic dust on the players he has?

Feed McGraw
06-05-2010, 12:26 PM

I hope the "couple of additions" are a new manager and assistant.I can honestly handle the bad results, that`s football,sare tae bare as it is. It`s the absolute garbage that emanates from Yogi after each game. It really is annoying in the extreme. I know, I know, just don`t listen. But you cannae help it, can ye. :grr: