PDA

View Full Version : Why were Brighton so willing to transfer Graeme Smith to the mighty Hibs

RIP
06-05-2010, 09:02 AM
According to Wiki Buzz played six games

First game against Huddersfield - came on as sub after previous goalie gave away pen and got sent off
Final score 1-7. Smith conceding 5

Then
Conceded 4 at home against Stockport
Conceded 3 to Hartlepool
4 to Wycombe
3 to Leeds
4 to Norwich

Played six times - conceded 23 goals - an average of 4 a game

Brighton must have been gutted to see him go

Andy74
06-05-2010, 09:05 AM

First game against Huddersfield - came on as sub after previous goalie gave away pen and got sent off

Then
Conceded 3 to Hartlepool
4 to Wycombe
3 to Leeds
4 to Norwich

Surely all those results were the managers fault though??

LancsHibs
06-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Think youve just answered your own question:wink:

Devine
06-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Surely all those results were the managers fault though??

Your responses are quite frankly boring. Oh and yeh Russel Slade got the bullet from Brighton before Xmas IIRC!

NORTHERNHIBBY
06-05-2010, 09:54 AM
he surely can't play for us again.
give maka a swansong against united.

Andy74
06-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Your responses are quite frankly boring. Oh and yeh Russel Slade got the bullet from Brighton before Xmas IIRC!

Different point of view is what it is. There are hundreds of get Hughes out posts if you don't want to be bored by the odd defense of Hughes one.

Frankly, it seems the majority wanting Hughes out can't really take part in any form of sensible discussion which to me says a lot about why they see that Hughes should go in the first place.

SRHibs
06-05-2010, 10:51 AM
He's ****ing rotten, as is Stack.

I'd rather have Maka in goals. He made some errors, but he also pulled off some spectacular saves. Smith/Stack make errors, and they're both distinctly average shot stoppers with terrible distribution, not to mention they're both complete bombscares at setpieces.

Iain G
06-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Then
Conceded 3 to Hartlepool
4 to Wycombe
3 to Leeds
4 to Norwich

They cancelled his contract and then he came to play for us IIRC.

Sprouleflyer
06-05-2010, 11:01 AM
He's ****ing rotten, as is Stack.

I'd rather have Maka in goals. He made some errors, but he also pulled off some spectacular saves. Smith/Stack make errors, and they're both distinctly average shot stoppers with terrible distribution, not to mention they're both complete bombscares at setpieces.

Not a Maka fan but he certainly has more presence than Smith and Stack and had a few performances where he took the pressure of the defence ( Tynie last season) when teams were punting high balls into the box.

Maka is prone to the odd gaff, but he would not have gaffed as many times as Smith did last night!

Smith to go!!

ahibby
06-05-2010, 11:24 AM
because he is not very good?

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Imho Stack is our best keeper, although i have not seen Brown, so cant judge him. Maka should play on Sunday imho, and smith should do some gardening.

Devine
06-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Different point of view is what it is. There are hundreds of get Hughes out posts if you don't want to be bored by the odd defense of Hughes one.

Frankly, it seems the majority wanting Hughes out can't really take part in any form of sensible discussion which to me says a lot about why they see that Hughes should go in the first place.

Sensible discussion and you just don't go unfortunately. I tend not to dive in at every opportunity as I don't see the point in repeating what many people have said before in a thread but I've got to take exception to this one.

How many embarrassments are you going to sweep under the carpet and not blame the manager? I backed him for a fair while accepted results like 5-1 away to St Johnstone BUT the second Ross County game and the last 2 games against Hearts were a step too far within that is also the Hamilton game which was an utter disgrace from start to finish. Has he done ANYTHING either in a game or between games to turn the tide? NO!

Can you honestly say you are impressed with what he has to say pre/post match. The drivel he comes out with and soundbites he gives to the press is becomign tiring. Example - Droning on about making the players better people. WTF has that got to do with conceding 6 goals on a football park ABSOLUTELY NOUT!

We have taken 13 out of a possible 57pts from our Top 6 rivals. Theres a stat that covers the whole season which is extremely poor. Where has the improvement come from? Say we finish 5th which is more than likely now is that any real progress from last year NO! He had time and money to bring players in a LOT more than Motherwell that is for sure. That team is his responsibility whether he likes it or not and he has failed miserably to capitalise on what was i'll give you a decent start to the season!

So instead of trying to put your attitude that you are somewhat more intelligent and visionary than the rest of us take a look at whats actually happening the WHOLE F***ING THING has disintegrated and its YOGIS TEAM YOGIS RESPONSIBILITY!

Bayern Bru
06-05-2010, 12:21 PM
Anyone think we should get John Ruddy in?

:dunno::devil:

Joking aside though, maybe he wanted to come back to Scotland, or was unsettled etc. Think he was unfancied by the new manager (wonder why). That said, the stats don't lie. He's played 14 games for Hibs and let in 27 goals. At the beginning however, we were winning games - Hamilton 5-1, Celtc 2-1 etc.

But Jesus, 27 goals in 14 starts?!

Andy74
06-05-2010, 12:37 PM
Sensible discussion and you just don't go unfortunately. I tend not to dive in at every opportunity as I don't see the point in repeating what many people have said before in a thread but I've got to take exception to this one.

How many embarrassments are you going to sweep under the carpet and not blame the manager? I backed him for a fair while accepted results like 5-1 away to St Johnstone BUT the second Ross County game and the last 2 games against Hearts were a step too far within that is also the Hamilton game which was an utter disgrace from start to finish. Has he done ANYTHING either in a game or between games to turn the tide? NO!

Can you honestly say you are impressed with what he has to say pre/post match. The drivel he comes out with and soundbites he gives to the press is becomign tiring. Example - Droning on about making the players better people. WTF has that got to do with conceding 6 goals on a football park ABSOLUTELY NOUT!

We have taken 13 out of a possible 57pts from our Top 6 rivals. Theres a stat that covers the whole season which is extremely poor. Where has the improvement come from? Say we finish 5th which is more than likely now is that any real progress from last year NO! He had time and money to bring players in a LOT more than Motherwell that is for sure. That team is his responsibility whether he likes it or not and he has failed miserably to capitalise on what was i'll give you a decent start to the season!

So instead of trying to put your attitude that you are somewhat more intelligent and visionary than the rest of us take a look at whats actually happening the WHOLE F***ING THING has disintegrated and its YOGIS TEAM YOGIS RESPONSIBILITY!

Yes, you are pointing out all the shockers, and I agree they were all terrible and inexcusable.

I disagree though on who is to blame and what can and should be done about it.

The team is his reponsibility, and what he has done is take a team that were no better than 6th at any stage last year and taken them to 3rd for the majority of this season. Yes he had the chance to bring in a couple of better players as well.

I'm not going to go over all the excuses for the drop in from but there are many and yes, some mistakes have been made by the manager along the way as well.

In the main though, mistakes have been made by players that aren't good enough or that are still learning as well.

Last night the manager can't do an awful lot about the performances of Smith, Hanlon or Hogg who had a shocking last half hour.

Given time what he can do is make Hanlon better and replace the others. Smith I think was only ever brought here to be 3rd choice anyway and has done okay up until recently.

I don't think there is any way the Board will be considering the future of the manager and I think that is right. Hughes is till trying to protect his current players who arer lacking in confidence but I fully expect to see the 3 or 4 players arrive that would allow us a far better chance of staying in 3rd place for the whole season instead of 2/3 of it.

It took Dundee Utd 3 to 4 yrs and I think we might need about 2 but we'll get there.

If we change manager again I'm not so sure we'll get anywhere.