PDA

View Full Version : in Smith's defence...

steve75
06-05-2010, 12:13 AM
A goalkeeper should only really be called into action 4/5 times at very most in a game. He should be the last line of defence, doing most his work in the last 15mins when the rest of the team is starting to tire from giving so much prior.

All night tonight smith watched his defenders woefuly attempt to win headers and and out muscle strikers. You can see the reason he was coming flying out to get the ball was cause he had no belief in the defence, and why should he? For the goal where John Sutton out jumps him in the air (5-6 i think), Sutton had a clear run right through the box and then jumps with no challenge, if someone runs shoulder to shoulder with him smith catches it and all is well.

for all the things he done wrong, he done more right. But he should never have had that much to do in the first place.

this is however based purely on tonight, i realise his form has been far from good. I just feel we have a reasonably good goalkeeper on our hands, one that can be worked with.

hibee_nation
06-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Face it Smith you had a nightmare the night son, now get tae yer bed and have nightmares. :cool2:

Dr_Regal
06-05-2010, 12:37 AM
A goalkeeper should only really be called into action 4/5 times at very most in a game. He should be the last line of defence, doing most his work in the last 15mins when the rest of the team is starting to tire from giving so much prior.

All night tonight smith watched his defenders woefuly attempt to win headers and and out muscle strikers. You can see the reason he was coming flying out to get the ball was cause he had no belief in the defence, and why should he? For the goal where John Sutton out jumps him in the air (5-6 i think), Sutton had a clear run right through the box and then jumps with no challenge, if someone runs shoulder to shoulder with him smith catches it and all is well.

for all the things he done wrong, he done more right. But he should never have had that much to do in the first place.

this is however based purely on tonight, i realise his form has been far from good. I just feel we have a reasonably good goalkeeper on our hands, one that can be worked with.

Sorry Graeme.
Absolutely the worst goalkeeper in the history of the world!

Your right tho, i mentioned it earlier but Thicot everytime the ball came in he went up and pretended like he was going to head the ball. Total joke.

Still he should be no where near the glorious hibees first team

steve75
06-05-2010, 12:51 AM
Im not condoning what he done. A better more experienced keeper would have kept his cool and settled the defence, he should never have been that many chances to make mistakes. I have seen alot worse. I'd like to see a better keeper, but i'd rather a better defence with him behind it, than a new keeper behind our defence.

Hibercelona
06-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Sorry Graeme.
Absolutely the worst goalkeeper in the history of the world!

Your right tho, i mentioned it earlier but Thicot everytime the ball came in he went up and pretended like he was going to head the ball. Total joke.

Still he should be no where near the glorious hibees first team

Are you kidding?

Havent seen his performance tonight, but have seen it in many other games and have been fairly impressed.

By far a better defender than Chris Frog.

Dr_Regal
06-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Are you kidding?

Havent seen his performance tonight, but have seen it in many other games and have been fairly impressed.

By far a better defender than Chris Frog.

Talking about Smith not thicot, my friend.

Since you've mentioned it Thicot, had a mare and is incapable of winning the ball in the air and is a bombscare at defending set pieces. The first half tonight he shanked every foward ball, he is slow to turn and has zero pace.

Hogg isn't much better

seanraff07
06-05-2010, 02:07 AM
Talking about Smith not thicot, my friend.

Since you've mentioned it Thicot, had a mare and is incapable of winning the ball in the air and is a bombscare at defending set pieces. The first half tonight he shanked every foward ball, he is slow to turn and has zero pace.

Hogg isn't much better

Thicot should be playing at CB not RB cause like you say he has no pace which let's him down in that position.

PeterboroHibee
06-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Come on, their free kick was a perfect example of his night. ball right at him, he falls over and goes under him :grr:. Fair enough he was maybe expecting someone to attack him but it went under him ffs, was ridiculous.

As for Suttons goal, he was never, ever going to win that ball. Coming off his line takes him out of the goal and almost leave an empty net (there was players on the line). Poor decision.

Giving away the penalty was ridiculous as well, stay on your line or actually win the ball, don just run into the player..

since90plustwo
06-05-2010, 07:28 AM
he looked shakey after he got quite a bd injury at 6-2 , maybee it would have been a good idea to bring maka on if he was struggling.

MrRobot
06-05-2010, 07:33 AM
In his defence, he is pish so could only do as good as his ability. NEver want to see him play for Hibs, not even on the bench. The last 4 goals could have been prevented by him. Once again outjumped for a corner, Just falling to his knees on their 6th rather than make an attempt, Getting beat at his near post again(should have saved and prevented the rebound) and the free kick...

Granted, Hanlon shoulda been stronger for the 6th but the goalkeeper is there to be the last man to bail us out when the defence screws up. Maka and Brown for next season. Stack can stay to keep an experienced head in there too.

Scorrie
06-05-2010, 07:33 AM
he looked shakey after he got quite a bd injury at 6-2 , maybee it would have been a good idea to bring maka on if he was struggling.

Good point. Yogi should have acted then as Smith looked v shaky.

MrRobot
06-05-2010, 07:38 AM

No excuses. He is rotten. Never was keen on signing him but ranted he played well in a few games when he came. Hope he leaves now.

Extra praise for Nishy though, fantastic answer to everything that has happened. Must be gutted.

Judas Iscariot
06-05-2010, 07:49 AM
There's no defence for the useless ****..

Chucked 2 goals against Hertz on Saturday and chucked at LEAST 3 last night along with conceding a penalty..

GTF Smith, don't ever have the ****ing audacity to pull on a Hibs shirt again :grr:

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 07:50 AM
Smith should never pull another Hibs goalkeeping shirt over his head again. In fact i'd go out and beg Gordon Marshall to come back, and ****in play for us never mind train these bloody ******s we have.

jakedance
06-05-2010, 07:56 AM
I've just watched the highlights and he's had an absolute shocker. Probably responsible for three of the goals and gave away a crazy penalty. The Hibs goalkeeping curse continues.

Gettin' Auld
06-05-2010, 08:00 AM
in Smith's defence...

Surely that is an oxymoron? :cool2:

Phil MaGlass
06-05-2010, 08:06 AM
I have now saw enough of Smith to comment, he is dire I thyought he was pi5h against hertz missing the high balls but this brings our goalkeeping keystone cops into another dimension,bring back Maka,he must be creaming himself if Smith is the best to offer.

HibbyAndy
06-05-2010, 08:14 AM
I've just watched the highlights and he's had an absolute shocker. Probably responsible for three of the goals and gave away a crazy penalty. The Hibs goalkeeping curse continues.

:agree:

I actually felt physically sick watching the highlites. Colin Nish is spot on, we are the only team in the world that could blow a 4 goal lead.

sammy7
06-05-2010, 09:26 AM
:agree:

I actually felt physically sick watching the highlites. Colin Nish is spot on, we are the only team in the world that could blow a 4 goal lead.

there is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that he purposely gave away that penatly... fair enough he saved it but probably by accident!

Hfc_Since1875
06-05-2010, 09:52 AM
In his defence though he was brilliant when he first came into the team!
He was wrongly dropped for no reason and has looked shaky since hes been back in the team!
Id keep him and Brown for next season and see how he goes because if he can recapture his form from earlier we have a good goalkeeper on our hands!
What is it with hibs fans and when a keeper has a rough spell we need to get rid of them!?!?!

EVERY keeper in the world has dips in form!:grr::grr:

sammy7
06-05-2010, 09:55 AM
In his defence though he was brilliant when he first came into the team!
He was wrongly dropped for no reason and has looked shaky since hes been back in the team!
Id keep him and Brown for next season and see how he goes because if he can recapture his form from earlier we have a good goalkeeper on our hands!
What is it with hibs fans and when a keeper has a rough spell we need to get rid of them!?!?!

EVERY keeper in the world has dips in form!:grr::grr:

ive never liked him, nor felt confident when he has played. for me he has made too many mistakes and i dont want to see him anywhere near the hibs team again. i have never seen such a shambolic performance from a professional keeper, and that includes ZIBI!

brog
06-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I posted at time we signed Smith that he was a typical Scottish keeper, ie capable of great shotstopping but absolutely no command of his area & back 4. I'm not sure where the " great games " he had for us came from. He was competent in some but I don't recall us ever getting a result because of Smith's performance. I think his confidence is shot & I don't think he'll ever get another game for Hibs, personally I hope not.
Maka needs to play on Sunday & hopefully it's an opportunity for us to say goodbye to him in a proper manner. I think after last night & Saturday we need a complete re-appraisal of the abuse previously heaped on Maka, Marshall, McNeill etc etc etc! I'm afraid, IMO, Smith just went to #1 in our goalkeeping Hall of Shame, some achievement!