PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray

The Harp Awakes
05-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Time for Ian Murray to be installed as Hibs captain and played in the middle of defence starting from Sunday.

He's got the desire and determination to lead Hibs onto better things next season. Probably Yogi's biggest mistake this season in appointing Hogg captain in front of Murray.

Sammy7nil
05-05-2010, 11:42 PM
thought he was very poor tonight :boo hoo:

monktonharp
05-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Murray has not been at his best over the last few games,but is a 100% trier,who would surely be a v.good captain.

Dr_Regal
05-05-2010, 11:58 PM
eh?

Hogg was better tonight than murray. so seems an odd time to suggest this.
If murray was so great why didn't he spurn the team on tonight with his fantastic desire? Breathing out his arse after having to chase o'brien's heels all night.

I would have appointed ian over hogg, but whats done is done.

Bobby's Cinema
06-05-2010, 12:00 AM
eh?

If murray was so great why didn't he spurn the team on tonight with his fantastic desire? Breathing out his arse after having to chase o'brien's heels all night.

:top marks

The Harp Awakes
06-05-2010, 12:10 AM
eh?

Not talking about 1 game, but over the season. Hogg has been useless as a captain - can't inspire players around him and needs to concentrate on his own game.

Being better than another player on the night doesn't make a captain.

Dr_Regal
06-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Not talking about 1 game, but over the season. Hogg has been useless as a captain - can't inspire players around him and needs to concentrate on his own game.

Being better than another player on the night doesn't make a captain.

As does Ian Murray by the standard of his recent performances. We need a captain, perhaps in the summer.

What's to stop IM behaving like a captain. Just the title and the fact he doesnae pick the end.

SunshineOnLeith
06-05-2010, 02:55 AM
As soon as 'Well scored their third goal tonight both Hogg and Murray should have stepped up and made sure we saw out the game, they were both abject failures.

seanraff07
06-05-2010, 03:38 AM
Murray should be captain and DM next season.

BSEJVT
06-05-2010, 05:24 AM
For all that Murray is an honest trier and fearless tackler, I am afraid his race is run.

He has been woeful since Christmas and is found out and targeted week after week by opposing managers.

Such a shame, but no-one said football was fair.

The only chance he has of playing next year IMO is at centre half, when his lack of pace and agility can be better hidden.

KWJ
06-05-2010, 05:31 AM
eh?

They were both god awful yesterday. Murray narrowly less crap.

he didn't step up as expected and on that showing doesn't deserve captaincy. None of them do really, that's the problem. Actually I'm scarily thinking Rankin is becoming the most suitable and that is frightning.

Play Murray in the middle of midfield and see how he controls a match.

Oscar Lomax
06-05-2010, 05:32 AM
eh?

Lets face it, if Murray wasnt a die hard Hibby and gave 100%, Im sure he would never be held in such high regard.
Murray is an average player but one in which we can relate to as he is living the dream in playing for the club he supported.

ArabHibee
06-05-2010, 05:36 AM
Lets face it, if Murray wasnt a die hard Hibby and gave 100%, Im sure he would never be held in such high regard.
Murray is an average player but one in which we can relate to as he is living the dream in playing for the club he supported.

:agree: Good post.

weonlywon6-2
06-05-2010, 05:52 AM
Time for Ian Murray to be installed as Hibs captain and played in the middle of defence starting from Sunday.

He's got the desire and determination to lead Hibs onto better things next season. Probably Yogi's biggest mistake this season in appointing Hogg captain in front of Murray.

totally agree.it needs a change from the cuurent captain.ian murray tonight was trying to be everywere and it cost him a bit.not impressed with smith in goals either.

still cant believe we score 6 goals away from home and dont win.

the only positive,we scored six goals in a game

PeterboroHibee
06-05-2010, 07:11 AM
I still like Murray, but he seems to have lost a bit of whatever it was he had; it wasnt that long ago you would see him driving the team forward from LB, which im not seeing from him anymore. Also really slow to push out of defence towards the man on the right at times, and was getting taken on too easily.

Think the defence honestly needs a complete overhaul, not one of them should be in it next season (would keep Hanlon as think he would thrive with proper defenders around him).

RIP
06-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Ian Murray has been targeted as our weakest link for the past 20 games. All any winger has to do is run at him. Every SPL manager can see this apart from Yogi

As Ian approaches 30 it's obvious he has lost it for pace.

He's a powerful tackler though and can pass well. I would play him left DM with McBride right DM. Goalie and 6 at the back until the defence improves. Play like the huns - pack your own half - break out with pace

Booth for left back next season

Aldo
06-05-2010, 07:54 AM
Captain - Yes but played in the middle of the park where we need his battling skills. Was ripped a new one last night against O'Brien.

The_Sauz
06-05-2010, 09:49 AM
I remember an interview a few years back when IM came into the Hibs team from Dundee Utd, he stated the he preferred to play DM or CH, and that playing LB was his least favorite out the 3 :agree:
I agree with the rest of you, Murray has lost some off his pace, but will always give you 100%.
I know he wants to finish his career at Hibs, but I get the feeling IM feels Hibs don't want him, as they told him to wait until the end of the season before they will talk about a new contract.
FFS Hibs get a grip, the guy is 30 years old and wants to be here. No wonder some players don't GAF :grr:

M11BMO
06-05-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree that he's lost some of his pace, but as a few have already said he gives 100% and is fully commited. He should have been slotted in at CH at the beginning of the season and not put in an area (LB) where his pace can be exploited. Another obvious mistake that Yogi made.:agree:

scoopyboy
06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Ian Murray has played too many games for his own good this season and it is catching up with him.

He gets patched up before and after training and again before and after games. The man has done well to continue playing, the only thing is he will need more and more treatment as each month passes him by.

Maybe that is the reason he isn't captain.

FWIW he believes he will be able to play longer if he plays in central defence.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Murray has lost any of the pace he had, and at full back that's getting shown up much more regularly than ever before. Central defence or even midfield for me next season.

ahibby
06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Billy, I think Murray would make a good captain but the problem for is having young Hanlon play CB in crucial games like this up against tough and experienced forwards. That's compounded by having Thicot at RB which isn't his position and he has only had a handful of games all season. On top of that Smith isn't a commanding goalkeeper. I don't know if Hibs tried or if they did how hard they tried to get players in for the CB and RB slots last summer and Christmas. I thought then we would rue not doing so and I still think that is were the real problem is.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Murray could become a bit part player at easter road next season.

hibee_girl
06-05-2010, 10:35 AM
There's been many calls for Murray to be captain but what did he do last night that proved he should be captain?

Was he urging the players on? Was he screaming at them to have a bit of fight about them?

No, he wasn't. No one was.

JimBHibees
06-05-2010, 10:35 AM
eh?

You are joking arent you. Murray was poor but Hogg was along with Smith the worst players on the park and IMO should never play for Hibs again never mind captain the side. Truly awful defender.

Craig_in_Prague
06-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Hogg's the worse defender in the league.
Yet, our innovative thinking manager, made him our captain.

:rolleyes:

JimBHibees
06-05-2010, 10:39 AM
Ian Murray has played too many games for his own good this season and it is catching up with him.

He gets patched up before and after training and again before and after games. The man has done well to continue playing, the only thing is he will need more and more treatment as each month passes him by.

It certainly has looked like he is carrying an injury in the last few games. He hasnt been great however he still gives his 100%. Hopefully he will come back fitter and stronger after the summer.

JimBHibees
06-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Hogg's the worse defender in the league.
Yet, our innovative thinking manager, made him our captain.

:rolleyes:

That would be my view also. Needs punted pronto.

The_Sauz
06-05-2010, 10:41 AM
It certainly has looked like he is carrying an injury in the last few games. He hasnt been great however he still gives his 100%. Hopefully he will come back fitter and stronger after the summer.
That's if he's still here :wink:

Teo10
06-05-2010, 10:42 AM

What do you mean by the patching up?

I have a worry that obviously his arthiritus was/is a problem, which at one point threatened his career but not heard anything about if it still is as big a problem?

Hibee_Lisa
06-05-2010, 10:47 AM
That's if he's still here :wink:

You would hope he is considering he only signed a 2 year extension contract in Feb.

Not In The Know
06-05-2010, 10:59 AM
Murray has been great for us since his return, but not at center-half as he is terrible at heading. Not sure if its to do with his back problems put you would be strugglin to get a sheet of A4 paper under him when he jumps.

McSwanky
06-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Would rather see (a fit) McBride given the armband.

RoslinInstHibby
06-05-2010, 11:32 AM
Murray has not been at his best over the last few games,but is a 100% trier,who would surely be a v.good captain.

he is hurting big time today, shows he cares abut this club, i imagine nish and deeko will be the same.....

scoopyboy
06-05-2010, 11:44 AM
What do you mean by the patching up?

I have a worry that obviously his arthiritus was/is a problem, which at one point threatened his career but not heard anything about if it still is as big a problem?

Still a problem and will never leave him. To his credit he simply gets on with it but it can't be easy at times.

Teo10
06-05-2010, 11:47 AM
Still a problem and will never leave him. To his credit he simply gets on with it but it can't be easy at times.

That is what I thought, you have to admire his determination to just carry on playing :agree:

Franck is God
06-05-2010, 11:53 AM
It has been said a couple of times and I will echo it.

What did Murray do last night or in any of the games we have lost heavily in the second half of this season to make anyone believe he should be captain or in fact even keep his place in the side.

Time after time he was beaten last night and all of Motherwell's dangerous crosses came from his side of the pitch mainly because all game he refused to close down the space.

I like Ian Murray but he is a very weak full back and in the games he has played centre half this season has looked no better. He is certainly not the player that left for Rangers all those years ago and probably not even the player that arrived back from Norwich.

500miles
06-05-2010, 05:51 PM
Ian Murray was no great captain first time round.
He doesn't speak that much.
He struggles for fitness.
He's one of the more volatile players......

Who would I install as captain at the weekend? If you wan some one who leads by example, who's always in someones ear if he thinks they're slacking, but who rarely loses the heid, and has experience of being a club captain before, there's only one option. John Rankin. If you want someone who's going to be hurting more than anyone else, and hunting for blood, goals and glory come game time, Colin Nish could be that man.

2, perhaps, unlikely candidates, but guys that wouldn't suprise me.

3pm
06-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Would rather see (a fit) McBride given the armband.

No chance. Never kicked his own arse for months. Surpassed expectations overall but never a Hibs captain.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 06:10 PM
No chance. Never kicked his own arse for months. Surpassed expectations overall but never a Hibs captain.

Basically since he's been injured.

SneakersO'Toole
06-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Granted his performances haven't been great of late, but I would still want him in my team for his work rate, attitude and the way he conducts himself both on and off the park.

There are a number of players at ER that could learn from the guy.

Agreed that LB should not be his favoured position moving forward. I personally thought he was very good at centre half during Mowbrays 1st year in charge and feel that he's absolutely worth a shot there next season. Especially considering that Chris Hogg should never be near a Hibs strip, nevermind the captains armband ever again.

3pm
06-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Basically since he's been injured.

Don't dispute it has played a part but he has struggled since he has been back. Do you think he is captain material?!

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Don't dispute it has played a part but he has struggled since he has been back. Do you think he is captain material?!

I'd prefer the McBride who was playing up to january as captain, over anyone else in the squad. I dont think he would be a bad choice. There's certainly nobody who jumps out as captain material.

3pm
06-05-2010, 07:57 PM
I'd prefer the McBride who was playing up to january as captain, over anyone else in the squad. I dont think he would be a bad choice. There's certainly nobody who jumps out as captain material.

No, we need a Jones type figure. Probably 2 or 3 actually.

500miles
06-05-2010, 08:47 PM
I cannae belive what I'm reading to be honest. I'm hearing positive references to Jones as captain! I was always told that he was a poor leader.....

By the way, there is some re-writing of history going on here, Ian Murray was a poor centre half under TM. He and Caldwell gave away goals like sweeties.

BSEJVT
06-05-2010, 08:55 PM
I cannae belive what I'm reading to be honest. I'm hearing positive references to Jones as captain! I was always told that he was a poor leader.....

By the way, there is some re-writing of history going on here, Ian Murray was a poor centre half under TM. He and Caldwell gave away goals like sweeties.

Sorry but that's just an incredible statement from a man defending Hogg and following our losing 6 goals last night in top of a 5 and at least 3 4's in the last 4 months:faf:

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 09:06 PM
No, we need a Jones type figure. Probably 2 or 3 actually.

We dont have a (Jones type figure) we have Hogg. I'm suggesting McBride would be better, although i also think there's too much emphasis on what a captain does, especially a hibs captain. The last decent one was Sauzee, and probably Stanton before that.

Oscar Lomax
06-05-2010, 09:07 PM

Would rather see a decent CH get the arm band, which is neither Hogg, Bamba or Hanlon (at this time).

3pm
06-05-2010, 10:11 PM
We dont have a (Jones type figure) we have Hogg. I'm suggesting McBride would be better, although i also think there's too much emphasis on what a captain does, especially a hibs captain. The last decent one was Sauzee, and probably Stanton before that.

Sauzee could inspire, McBride wouldn't in my view. He is an average Joe, which isn't necessarily a bad thing by the way. He does a decent job, nothing else.

Westie1875
06-05-2010, 10:13 PM

McBride is the closest thing to a leader that we have, he is also the most vocal on the pitch. Think he must have lost his voice before last night though.

seanraff07
06-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Murray has already proven himself as captain for us roughly 5/6 years ago.

I would make him captain again, but i think he could benefit from being moved into DM as his lack of pace is beginning to become a little more noticeable when he comes up against wingers that even have a little bit of pace, although his positive aggression and tackles have helped him through this season a lot though.

Bad Martini
07-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Murray's been consistently good since returning from the Hibs and has proven his worth...something I did not think he'd do and fully admit he's been worth his salt after returning from the darkside.

He would be a good choice of captain in my opinion, never shirks a tackle, never fails to open his mooth on the pitch. Made mistakes lately but overall, has been one of our most consistent players since his return....

Would be better than Hogg IMHO.:agree:

500miles
07-05-2010, 03:33 PM
Sorry but that's just an incredible statement from a man defending Hogg and following our losing 6 goals last night in top of a 5 and at least 3 4's in the last 4 months:faf:

Did either Murray or Caldwell form 2 of our most solid centre half partnership of the last 15-20 years? Hogg and Jones was the most solid pairing outside the OF under Mixu. Hogg and Bamba out performed defensive records that went so far back, i can't remember them being set! Hogg also got POTY at centre half.
I like Murray, but he has a rash streak in him that isn't as evident in Hogg.

Judas Iscariot
07-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Did either Murray or Caldwell form 2 of our most solid centre half partnership of the last 15-20 years? Hogg and Jones was the most solid pairing outside the OF under Mixu. Hogg and Bamba out performed defensive records that went so far back, i can't remember them being set! Hogg also got POTY at centre half.
I like Murray, but he has a rash streak in him that isn't as evident in Hogg.

"Rash Streak" as in a bit aggression, the ability to win a ball, tackle a man etc etc :cool2:

LaMotta
08-05-2010, 12:38 AM
Murray's been consistently good since returning from the Hibs and has proven his worth...something I did not think he'd do and fully admit he's been worth his salt after returning from the darkside.

He would be a good choice of captain in my opinion, never shirks a tackle, never fails to open his mooth on the pitch. Made mistakes lately but overall, has been one of our most consistent players since his return....

Would be better than Hogg IMHO.:agree:

He would be a great choice, just like many said Hogg would be.......until we start to lose games, then he will be to blame for almost everything.

The captain's role is a poisoned chalice. Despite being the best centre half the club has seen for decades, and leading the club to a cup win, many Hibs fans couldn't abide Rob Jones as Captain. What chance does any future captain realistically therefore have of being popular with the support?

AFKA5814_Hibs
08-05-2010, 12:53 AM
Of the players we have at our disposal then Ian Murray is our Captain, though I'd prefer to see Hibs bringing in a player who can be a real inspirational captain, like a Rob Jones type character, that's what we need, along with a Matty Jack type player, who would stop pussy footy around and kick some ass. :greengrin

brydekirk
08-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Of the players we have at our disposal then Ian Murray is our Captain, though I'd prefer to see Hibs bringing in a player who can be a real inspirational captain, like a Rob Jones type character, that's what we need, along with a Matty Jack type player, who would stop pussy footy around and kick some ass. :greengrin
totally :agree: murray is the best man for the job at the present time. i have been slightly worried about his lack of pace lately though.

blackpoolhibs
08-05-2010, 07:36 AM
Personally, i'd be against Murray getting the captains armband. I am not sure he will be an ever present next term. I dont think he has any pace anymore, and imho does not look the player he was, when he came back. Can he get that form and pace back, i'm not convinced?

I can see him being a squad player, if Yogi gets the players he wants, and hopefully one of them can be an inspirational leader we desperately need.

smithyhibee1875
08-05-2010, 11:16 PM
murray should be captain, much better than hogg!

tbh if we had a left mid that tracked back to help maybe murray wouldnt be so exposed, hes practiculy marking 2 men each week :wink:

HibbyAndy
09-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Yip, IM captain for me too.

Mcbride wouldnt be a bad choice either TBH.

Allant1981
09-05-2010, 09:41 AM
i honestly dont see what all the fuss is about Ian Murray, yip he is a decent player but thats it, i dont see him doing anything different from Hogg. Apart from playing better but does that mean you are a better captain. Being a good captain doesnt just come down top the 90 mins on a park. Dont get me wrong it certainly helps having someone on the park to kick your backside if your having a bad game but i dont see Ian murray doing this week in week out

jdships
09-05-2010, 10:13 AM
i honeslty dont see what all the fuss is about Ian Murray, yip he is a decent player but thats it, i dont see him doing anything different from Hogg. Apart from playing better but does that mean you are a better captain. Being a good captain doesnt just come down top the 90 mins on a park. Dont get me wrong it certainly helps having someone on the park to kick your backside if your having a bad game but i dont see Ian murray doing this week in week out

Agree 100% with what you write , especially the highlighted part re Murray. Good player but not the type of captain we need at this moment in time :thumbsup:
What the club needs right now is a Sammy Baird, Murdo Mcleod , Frank Sauzee type player.
Someone with personality combined with skill in his early/mid 30's who can motivate and lead by example.
Problem is finding a tree that has one growing on it !!!!! :greengrin

:flag:

greenlex
09-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I worry about Ians ability to see out another season or so on health grounds. He looks absolutely tucked after games and struggles to see out 90 mins. I think he may become s liability before much longer. Hope I am way off the mark here as if fit we could do with another handful just like him.

sam armstrong
09-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Murray's fitness is now a problem, he runs out of steam after about an hour and against Motherwell could hardly raise a gallop near the end.

sam armstrong
09-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Yip, IM captain for me too.

Mcbride wouldnt be a bad choice either TBH.

McBride, you must be having a laugh. He shouldn't be near Hibs team. A midfield player who can't score, can't create, can't tackle and passes endlessly back and sideways.

Allant1981
09-05-2010, 10:48 AM
McBride, you must be having a laugh. He shouldn't be near Hibs team. A midfield player who can't score, can't create, can't tackle and passes endlessly back and sideways.

apart from all that he is a decent player! until he got injured he was a very influential player for us and him and miller played very well together. if he can get himself fit again then we have a good central midfield pairing there