PDA

View Full Version : Was Smith ill in the second half?

Jamesie
05-05-2010, 11:38 PM
Just watched the highlights:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8658858.stm

I can only assume he had something wrong in the second half to put in that performance.

The penalty seems to have been conceded with some intent - look at his body language after doing so. It is one of the most bizarre episodes I've ever seen on a football pitch.

And as for Hughes' reaction at the final whistle - John, if its such a good laugh to take the pi55 out of Hibs fans travelling and paying good money to watch this rubbish then GTF.

J-C
05-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Well I was going to watch the game on V+ but instead watched the highlights on the net, Smith was at fault for3 of the goals, absolute atrocious goalkeeping, to all those who slagged off Maka, well there you go, we've got another keeper in and he's pants.

Goal no.1 Shot from 25yds out, all he has to do is parry it round the post but instead takes an age to see it and it rebounds off the post.

Goal no.2 Comes for cross, gets nowhere near it and Sutton scores with an easy header.

Goal no.3 Free kick from 25yds, somehow missses the flight of the ball and then tries to keep it out with his bloody feet.

Not to mention his daft challenge for a penalty which he then saved, thankfully the ref didn't see him about a yard off his line though.

I notice everyone blaming Yogi tonight, get a f***ing grip, the blame lies squarely at the feet of this keeper, he needs punted asap, he'll bring no confidence to any defence.

PatHead
05-05-2010, 11:51 PM
who signed the goalie?

cabbageandribs1875
05-05-2010, 11:56 PM
a keeper should never EVER be 'out jumped' :bitchy: unless he's 5ft 4" and against peter crouch, must admit i did want smith to replace maka but what a howler of a game he had last night :asshole: too many cock-ups from maka in the past for me to be wanting him back in again tho, can we please try mark brown next(after he's back from injury) :greengrin and if he's hopeless as well...give flynn a chance

Greentinted
06-05-2010, 12:09 AM
Looking at that again.
Goal #6 (equalizer) - Hanlon has two decent phases in which to attack the ball in the air and Smith is beaten at his near post (an area which should be narrowed) by a shot (fierce as it was) that was preventable by upstretched arms. I would expect to see goals like this at the Jack Kane of a Sunday afternoon but in a European play-off decider - please!

RickyS
06-05-2010, 12:10 AM

I can only assume he had something wrong in the second half to put in that performance.

The penalty seems to have been conceded with some intent - look at his body language after doing so. It is one of the most bizarre episodes I've ever seen on a football pitch.

And as for Hughes' reaction at the final whistle - John, if its such a good laugh to take the pi55 out of Hibs fans travelling and paying good money to watch this rubbish then GTF.

if he was ill, we should expect him to be professional enough to put his hand up and tell the bench, im costing us goals here and ask for a change.

Toaods
06-05-2010, 12:15 AM
dunno if he was ill, but I certainly was.....sick of that crap.

Owain_1987
06-05-2010, 12:16 AM
Would like to say for the 5th looked very much like a foul and for the 6th why or why did no one get the ball away :grr:

sesoim
06-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Well I was going to watch the game on V+ but instead watched the highlights on the net, Smith was at fault for3 of the goals, absolute atrocious goalkeeping, to all those who slagged off Maka, well there you go, we've got another keeper in and he's pants.

Goal no.1 Shot from 25yds out, all he has to do is parry it round the post but instead takes an age to see it and it rebounds off the post.

Goal no.2 Comes for cross, gets nowhere near it and Sutton scores with an easy header.

Goal no.3 Free kick from 25yds, somehow missses the flight of the ball and then tries to keep it out with his bloody feet.

Not to mention his daft challenge for a penalty which he then saved, thankfully the ref didn't see him about a yard off his line though.

I notice everyone blaming Yogi tonight, get a f***ing grip, the blame lies squarely at the feet of this keeper, he needs punted asap, he'll bring no confidence to any defence.

I agree with what you say about Smiths's performance, but it's a bit of a contradiction to say no one should blame Hughes when it was him that signed him. And no matter what Smith did today, that doesn't change the fact that Maka was awful, and over a much longer spell.

Hibercelona
06-05-2010, 12:21 AM
He wasn't ill walking into the bookies.

RickyS
06-05-2010, 12:24 AM
I agree with what you say about Smiths's performance, but it's a bit of a contradiction to say no one should blame Hughes when it was him that signed him. And no matter what Smith did today, that doesn't change the fact that Maka was awful, and over a much longer spell.

very true, Dont think it is fair to suddenly tar smith with that brush, he has had 2 bad games on the spin (sore ones I know) but up until then, he has looked a very steady goalie.With one game to go, would you put Maka back in?

The_Horde
06-05-2010, 03:08 AM

Yogi signed AND played him tonight. Hogg is finally being found out (well, that was probably a long time ago for the opposition but its just starting to sink in for most Hibs fans) and now i see why Hughes was so scared to put Hanlon in at first.

What happens next season then, do we sign new players.. get off to a flier and then capitulate again? The man hasn't got a scooby.

I will be back whatever and i hope he turns it around but he just doesn't seem to have a plan B and even his plan A only works occasionally.

dunno if he was ill, but I certainly was.....sick of that crap.

I'm still sick, sick of Yogi.

[/B]

very true, Dont think it is fair to suddenly tar smith with that brush, he has had 2 bad games on the spin (sore ones I know) but up until then, he has looked a very steady goalie.With one game to go, would you put Maka back in?

Maka would have stopped at least 3 goals from happening tonight.

Better goalie than Smith but still our 3rd best keeper behind Stack and Brown.

DaveF
06-05-2010, 08:50 AM

I totally agree.

I'm convinced he intentionally gave that penalty away.

No doubt in my mind.

Jay
06-05-2010, 08:54 AM
I totally agree.

No doubt in my mind.

Scott said the same at the time. It was all very bizarre after his injury.

Hermit Crab
06-05-2010, 09:04 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8658858.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/8658858.stm)

Smith wasnt ill but i was sick along with 1200 other travelling hibbys in the 94th minute.:grr: :grr: :grr: :grr:

jacomo
06-05-2010, 09:05 AM
I totally agree.

No doubt in my mind.

Er... why would he do that?

DaveF
06-05-2010, 09:16 AM

I have no idea.

I may well be talking bollocks, but it looked well ropey to me.

JimBHibees
06-05-2010, 09:22 AM

Not just why would he do it but why would he save it.

He appeared to take a sore one to the head and may have been concussed, dont know? :dunno:

Hibee_Lisa
06-05-2010, 09:26 AM
I have no idea.

I may well be talking bollocks, but it looked well ropey to me.

I honestly thought the same. I said to my other half is he doing his best to gift motherwell goals.

Arch Stanton
06-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Not just why would he do it but why would he save it.

He appeared to take a sore one to the head and may have been concussed, dont know? :dunno:

Maybe he figured that if he gave away a penalty and then saved it then it would waste a bit of time. :greengrin

Spike Mandela
06-05-2010, 09:30 AM
Looking at that again.
Goal #6 (equalizer) - Hanlon has two decent phases in which to attack the ball in the air and Smith is beaten at his near post (an area which should be narrowed) by a shot (fierce as it was) that was preventable by upstretched arms. I would expect to see goals like this at the Jack Kane of a Sunday afternoon but in a European play-off decider - please!

Bit harsh IMO.

Hanlon showed the guy the right direction, away from goal. The boy's turn and shot would very rarely be seen at the Jack Kane:greengrin

He will probably never score a better goal, but it could just as easily have flown high in to the stand. A special goal that shows the thin line between success and failure and a different mood on Hibs.net:wink:

M11BMO
06-05-2010, 09:32 AM
If he wasn't sick last night he will be this morning when he watches the highlights :jamboak:

hibee_girl
06-05-2010, 10:26 AM
I think that the knock to the head he took in the 2nd half was more serious than anyone realised, after that happened he was all over the place.

Jamesie
06-05-2010, 12:42 PM
I think that the knock to the head he took in the 2nd half was more serious than anyone realised, after that happened he was all over the place.

What was the score when he took a head knock? Could have been a good excuse to replace him?

PaulSmith
06-05-2010, 12:47 PM
I totally agree.

No doubt in my mind.

So am I and I've no doubt at all about what I'm saying.

Perhaps it was the abuse last week or perhaps it was the fact that...nah surely he wouldn't actually prefer Hearts to go above us would it?

JimBHibees
06-05-2010, 01:07 PM
What was the score when he took a head knock? Could have been a good excuse to replace him?

6-3 or 6-4 I reckon.

basehibby
06-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I think you have to give Motherwell credit as some of their goals (particularly no 6) were simply top drawer.
That said, Smith was woefully at fault for their fourth and fifth :grr:

Cropley10
06-05-2010, 01:32 PM
6-3 or 6-4 I reckon.

6 - 3.

And some thought Maka was a liability. I've never seen a performace like that from a goalie in my puff.

Chuckie
06-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Hertz ****...

matty_f
06-05-2010, 01:50 PM

I actually didn't think he took a bad knock. I thought he was just killing some time, to be honest. I watched the replay and couldn't really see where he would have gotten a head knock from.

I haven't seen it today and am just going from memory, but I thought his injury was more about killing the game than anything else. Could be wrong though. The ironic thing is that it added to the injury time in which Motherwell equalised.

Hibee_Lisa
06-05-2010, 01:55 PM
I actually didn't think he took a bad knock. I thought he was just killing some time, to be honest. I watched the replay and couldn't really see where he would have gotten a head knock from.

I haven't seen it today and am just going from memory, but I thought his injury was more about killing the game than anything else. Could be wrong though. The ironic thing is that it added to the injury time in which Motherwell equalised.

At the time I thought he took a knee to the head not 100% sure though.

cheltenhamhibee
06-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Bit harsh IMO.

Hanlon showed the guy the right direction, away from goal. The boy's turn and shot would very rarely be seen at the Jack Kane:greengrin

He will probably never score a better goal, but it could just as easily have flown high in to the stand. A special goal that shows the thin line between success and failure and a different mood on Hibs.net:wink:

i think credit where credit is due for the last goal, it was a bit special, not to disimilar from van bastens famous one, or if it had been messi that scored it everyone would've been waxing lyrical about it, but having said that i'm still raging that we managed to throw away a four goal lead

JimBHibees
06-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Yep I thought he took a knee to his head also.

PaulSmith
06-05-2010, 02:19 PM
And some thought Maka was a liability. I've never seen a performace like that from a goalie in my puff.

Me neither, I mean with Maka, Brown and Zibbi we sometimes had the high profile gaff that you just cant explain in a one off situation.

But there was something about that 'performance' last night that absolutely stunk and as overall goalie performances go that is right up there with the worst I have ever seen, anywhere.

He completely lost the plot.

Westie1875
06-05-2010, 02:29 PM
Me neither, I mean with Maka, Brown and Zibbi we sometimes had the high profile gaff that you just cant explain in a one off situation.

But there was something about that 'performance' last night that absolutely stunk and as overall goalie performances go that is right up there with the worst I have ever seen, anywhere.

If you didn't know any better you would think he had thrown the match, absolutely disgusting performance from the "goalie".

matty_f
06-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Fair enough.:agree:

RIP
06-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Did he take a head knock every game when he played for Brighton? In his six games he conceded 5, 3, 4, 3, 4 and 4

If he's a goalie I'm a monkeys uncle

keep the faith
06-05-2010, 04:09 PM
So am I and I've no doubt at all about what I'm saying.

Perhaps it was the abuse last week or perhaps it was the fact that...nah surely he wouldn't actually prefer Hearts to go above us would it?
What a load of nonsense! He had a nightmare game mate and that's all there is to it. Conspiracy theories won't help things at all

LaMotta
06-05-2010, 04:09 PM

I don't remember him taking a head knock either - in fact I'm sure it was knee in the back he took

GreenCastle
06-05-2010, 04:16 PM
All our keepers are suspect at crossed balls.

I remember reading about Smith before he came to Hibs that he struggled with this.

Stacks a line keeper too.

Maka occasionally comes out but although a great guy is suspect with some of his decisions.

As for Mark Brown - signed till Summer 2012 - he's been here 4 months and not played :grr:

miniboco
06-05-2010, 04:28 PM
i honestly think it was the head knock that cause the last colapse in terms of smith's performance.

his eyes looked abit glazed over when you see his face on the bbc highlights after saving the penalty.

plus when you get a concussion you don't realise you have one so if he's saying he's ok then yogi would have no reason to sub him off.

i'm sure the score was 6-2 when he took the knock from reynolds so:

third goal: very late reaction although he did appear to tip it onto the post

forth goal: defensive line a bit too deep but his reactions were slow also

fitfh goal: made a complete erse of coming for that ball

penalty: i don't know what he was thinkin tbh but think if he was fully aware of himself then he wouldn't have made such an erse up of running out for the ball

so i think the head knock was more serious than just a bump; really think it was a mild concussion... dunno if anyone in the know can confirm that tho...

my two pence anyway

MoscowHibs
06-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Yeah he was.Mentaly ill,and suffering delusions...about being a goalkeeper.
Tw@t. :confused:

erin go bragh
06-05-2010, 04:48 PM
I don't remember him taking a head knock either - in fact I'm sure it was knee in the back he took
his eyes were rolling when the phisio was attending him
:grr:i blame the phisio[he should have made the decision to get him off]

Cracker
06-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Yes I think he was and still is ill......"Thinks he is a goalkeeper":faf:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
06-05-2010, 04:50 PM

I think he let the wee 'Well neds in the shed get to him as they were giving him pelters every time he touched the ball. Maybe has a problem with temperament and needs to not get wound up as much?

He started "accidentally" booting balls into the Hertz crowd during his warm up (cannae mind if it was half time or before the match) at Tynie cos they were giving it him tight.

Jamesie
06-05-2010, 05:20 PM
so i think the head knock was more serious than just a bump; really think it was a mild concussion... dunno if anyone in the know can confirm that tho...

He was so slow to react for the third one that you would think the physio would have been wanting another look at him in case it was concussion.

Jonnyboy
06-05-2010, 05:23 PM
He wasn't ill walking into the bookies.

What an odd thing to say :confused:

Care to elaborate?

Toaods
06-05-2010, 05:28 PM
No injury whatsoever + don't attach any blame for the 12th but he's always been a flapper at any stage + he choked umder pressure again. I wondered if there's a bit of retribution for Yogi dismantling him in the media. Utter pants v Hearts + Well but will almost certainly retain the gloves whilst Yogi blames Deek for switching off.

Atalanta
06-05-2010, 08:00 PM
We have been critical of our goalkepers for years after a series of individual mistakes, many against Hearts. Last night however must be the worst of them all. You can see that Smith's confidence has completely gone.

Having said that it isn't as if it is all down to Smith. Any goalkeeper has the right to expect his centre backs winning most of the headers. Motherwell won almost every header they challeged for. Hogg was so bad that he wasn't even jumping half of the time.

I feel that it doesn't matter who plays in goal because if the centre backs don't compete we coulfd have the best goalkeeper in the world and we would still be in serious trouble.

--------
06-05-2010, 08:13 PM

It was around 66-67 minutes. The score was 6-3 at the time.

He gathered the ball and was challenged by a Motherwell forward. As he went down with the ball he cracked his head hard on the Motherwell player's knee. He was down for about a minute, not moving, and the physio did show concern when he arrived in the goalmouth. The entire stoppage lasted three minutes and no, I don't think he was wasting time. He took a hard bang and IMO was well out of things for about a minute. he looked groggy to me when play restarted.

I thought at the time, and still think, he should have been subbed.

And FWIW, the way we were defending last night, I don't think any goalie in the league could have done much about most of the goals.

Toaods
06-05-2010, 09:16 PM
The entire stoppage lasted three minutes and no, I don't think he was wasting time. He took a hard bang and IMO was well out of things for about a minute. he looked groggy to me when play restarted.

Personally, I thought he was spinning the time out, as he had been doing so for quite a while.

However taking your point on board Doddie makes me wonder bout either the physio or the communication between he and the bench.

I sit near the tunnel at ER and was furious the time when Mcbride was clattered (by Stack IIRC) in front of the South Stand. Too many bodies for me to make a decent opinion but the indecision was a joke. Eventually we played with 10 men for a spell but that aside, when Mcbride made it round to exit the tunnel it was clear he had no idea where he was , etc.

Couldn't believe that such a long time had been taken to consider the possibility of him going back on for any length of time prior to the decision to sub him.

Now anyone can make a mistake but jeeso - the same shambles happened at Ibrox under Mixu did it not?

get a blooming mobile phone or a 4th official type earpiece and mike instead of a quick game of charades from a distance of 30 metres+

Hibby Bairn
06-05-2010, 09:23 PM
He must have un-concussed for the penalty save!

Jazza
06-05-2010, 09:48 PM

Was out drinking with John Higgins last week

James70
06-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Too be honest I thought there were only two great goals last night, our first and their last. The rest of the goals by both teams were due to some extent to slack or downright atrocious defending and for Yogi to blame our forwards for the result is utterly unbelievable. It was his decision to take our best forward off for goodness sake!

matty_f
06-05-2010, 10:26 PM
It was around 66-67 minutes. The score was 6-3 at the time.

He gathered the ball and was challenged by a Motherwell forward. As he went down with the ball he cracked his head hard on the Motherwell player's knee. He was down for about a minute, not moving, and the physio did show concern when he arrived in the goalmouth. The entire stoppage lasted three minutes and no, I don't think he was wasting time. He took a hard bang and IMO was well out of things for about a minute. he looked groggy to me when play restarted.

And FWIW, the way we were defending last night, I don't think any goalie in the league could have done much about most of the goals.

Cheers Doddie.:thumbsup: Like I said, I only saw it the once and I'm happy to stand corrected on it.

--------
07-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Cheers Doddie.:thumbsup: Like I said, I only saw it the once and I'm happy to stand corrected on it.

That's how i read it, Mattie, and I ran the Sky box back a couple of times to make sure that the 'Well guy hadn't clattered him deliberately. The physio did the "how many fingers do you see" routine but I'm not convinced that that really tells you anything.

When I saw him down and not moving my first thought was "Who's the substitute goalie?", realised it was Maka, and my second thought was "Oh dear" (or words to that effect). The decision for him to carry on seemed to be between him and the physio - no input from the manager at all that I could see. To be fair to Maka, I find it hard to agree with the decision to keep him out of the game if Smith was indeed groggy or even concussed. I guess the big guy's got the message now. IMO he should have come on.

The whole incident reeked of an amateur attitude of just muddling through. On a par with the whole performance from the bench, IMO.

I don't really blame Smith for our problems with cross balls, either. Every goalkeeper's entitled to expect that his defenders will challenge the opposition for crosses and corners - I don't recollect either Hogg or Hanlon winning a ball in the air all night. I know we have injuries and suspensions, but still....