PDA

View Full Version : No Winning Mentality for Decades

The Harp Awakes
05-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Lets not kid ourselves on and blame everything on Yogi for this seasons collapse. The truth is Hibs have had a fragile mentality for decades.

If any Club can **** things up when all looks good its Hibs.

To be winners you have to have a winning mentality and in the modern football world that sometimes means closing out games when you are ahead and yes, being boring. When Hibs were 6-2 up tonight I counted 5 Hibs players in the box in one attack - basically we have no incline on how and when to defend.

The nearest we have come to adopting a winning mentality was under John Collins who wanted to push Hibs onto the next level but didn't achieve it. This was partly due to the players being more interested in getting p1shed and partly because he was inexperienced in man-management.

I can remember the much maligned Kevin Thomson saying after his move to Rangers that at Hibs you didn't have the same pressure to win games as you do at the OF. I think he is correct and there lies the problem - why should Hibs not have a winning mentality?

For me it is absolutely criminal that we have continued to under-achieve this season when we have the best under 19 squad in the land, one of the best training facilities in the SPL and better forwards than any other SPL side.

Things won't change until we get the right leadership on and off the park and we are presently miles away from that unfortunately.

monktonharp
05-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Lets not kid ourselves on and blame everything on Yogi for this seasons collapse. The truth is Hibs have had a fragile mentality for decades.

To be winners you have to have a winning mentality and in the modern football world that sometimes means closing out games when you are ahead and yes, being boring. When Hibs were 6-2 up tonight I counted 5 Hibs players in the box in one attack - basically we have no incline on how and when to defend.

The nearest we have come to adopting a winning mentality was under John Collins who wanted to push Hibs onto the next level but didn't achieve it. This was partly due to the players being more interested in getting p1shed and partly because he was inexperienced in man-management.

I can remember the much maligned Kevin Thomson saying after his move to Rangers that at Hibs you didn't have the same pressure to win games as you do at the OF. I think he is correct and there lies the problem - why should Hibs not have a winning mentality?

For me it is absolutely criminal that we have continued to under-achieve this season when we have the best under 19 squad in the land, one of the best training facilities in the SPL and better forwards than any other SPL side.

Things won't change until we get the right leadership on and off the park and we are presently miles away from that unfortunately.:agree:sometimes felt over the years you mention,that this club has never had a win win mentality from the very top,down. RP almost changed my mind,when we got the EMTC,and decided to go for the completed stadium,but the last few weeks I've put it on hold. the tache may have to take the bull by the horns soon,if we are to get a winning mentality at last.

The Harp Awakes
05-05-2010, 11:51 PM
:agree:sometimes felt over the years you mention,that this club has never had a win win mentality from the very top,down. RP almost changed my mind,when we got the EMTC,and decided to go for the completed stadium,but the last few weeks I've put it on hold. the tache may have to take the bull by the horns soon,if we are to get a winning mentality at last.

Looking at the opposition this season we have:

- the worst OF sides in ages;

- a team with half our support easily finishing above us in 3rd place;

- a team with one 3rd of our average support ahead of us in the league;

- our city rivals on the brink of bankruptcy but still competing with us; and

- one of the worst Aberdeen sides in living memory,

and still we under-achieve:grr:

Greentinted
06-05-2010, 12:36 AM

And a half season under McLeish.

As you say, as an overview it is fairly pitiful and mediocrity breeds itself. I felt that Hughes had that winning mentality. He came with a reputation of being hard but fair but this season has just not been good enough. I for one wasn't fooled into thinking we were a great team when the results were going our way. there was a great deal of luck involved, lots of perspiration expended but not a great deal of inspiration involved. As a squad, on paper, this current collective is arguably the strongest outside Glasgow but have become increasingly predictable and toothless as the season has evolved. And while it is noble to defend a man being lambasted it is not happening without good reason.

No manager should be (or appear to be) afraid of his players but that seems to be what is occuring. One game to go, more major surgery required and bringing in someone with a genuine winners pedigree is imperativeto begin the next chapter of hopes and dreams.