PDA

View Full Version : Positive thread for the moments of WONDERFUL football we played tonight!

California-Hibs
05-05-2010, 10:27 PM
Ok, let me start off by saying how gutted i am, truly truly gutted, how we threw away a 2-6 lead is just unreal, when leaving the stadium tonight i was speechless, gutted, shattered.
Having just got home in the car though, i have thought about the positives that came from tonight.

1. Hearts did not win, meaning we are 3 above them, 1 game left, and 9 goals better off. So we've managed to finish the season about the Jambos. :thumbsup:

2. We are 1 point off Motherwell with a 3 goal better goal difference.

3. Theres 1 game left, Motherwell away to Rangers and us away to Dundee United. Although both hard games for the 2 teams, i think we have the better chance.

4. 5th place which we have now gurarenteed, will get us Europe, provided Dundee United win the Cup.

5. We can finish 4th by even getting a draw on Sunday providing Motherwell lose.

and finally...

6. Some of the football that we played tonight was sublime, totally sublime. The passing and movement for the first goal was top notch, and to be winning 2-6 away from home and playing so well was brilliant. (remember this is a positive thread, focusing on the good points from tonight).
Nish getting a hat-trick was pleasing, Stokes making it 23 goals for the season was pleasing and Riordan getting another putting him upto 16 goals, was pleasing.
Yes it feels like a defeat, and it is totally not acceptable for professional footballers to throw away a 2-6 lead, but just to get the point across that there WAS a few positives amoung the shocking outcome.

Dunbar Hibee
05-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I like your enthusiasm but I jus can't see what your seeing right now. And probably won't be able to for a while!

Wilbur
05-05-2010, 10:30 PM
You're right, and IF we can play some of that football against united, we have a fighting chance. And as the OP says, I fancy our chances more than i would motherwells. Lets just hope rangers field a decent strength team. :grr:

Dr_Regal
05-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Ok, let me start off by saying how gutted i am, truly truly gutted, how we threw away a 2-6 lead is just unreal, when leaving the stadium tonight i was speechless, gutted, shattered.
Having just got home in the car though, i have thought about the positives that came from tonight.

1. Hearts did not win, meaning we are 3 above them, 1 game left, and 9 goals better off. So we've managed to finish the season about the Jambos. :thumbsup:

3. Theres 1 game left, Motherwell away to Rangers and us away to Dundee United. Although both hard games for the 2 teams, i think we have the better chance.

4. 5th place which we have now gurarenteed, will get us Europe, provided Dundee United win the Cup.

5. We can finish 4th by even getting a draw on Sunday providing Motherwell lose.

and finally...

6. Some of the football that we played tonight was sublime, totally sublime. The passing and movement for the first goal was top notch, and to be winning 2-6 away from home and playing so well was brilliant. (remember this is a positive thread, focusing on the good points from tonight).
Nish getting a hat-trick was pleasing, Stokes making it 23 goals for the season was pleasing and Riordan getting another putting him upto 16 goals, was pleasing.
Yes it feels like a defeat, and it is totally not acceptable for professional footballers to throw away a 2-6 lead, but just to get the point across that there WAS a few positives amoung the shocking outcome.

Thanks, thats cheered me up slightly.

we were quite good going foward.

noseyhibby
05-05-2010, 10:36 PM

and finally...

Grudgingly I have to agree with Yogi that we have goals in us...I will zip it at this point

joebakerforever
05-05-2010, 10:38 PM
You're right, and IF we can play some of that football against united, we have a fighting chance. And as the OP says, I fancy our chances more than i would motherwells. Lets just hope rangers field a decent strength team. :grr:

The Huns last home match, first home match since they officially won the League, stung by a 2 - 1 defeat by the Smellies.

No chance they will be lying down in front their home crowd.

However I doubt we'll pick up any points at Tannadice.

The Harp Awakes
05-05-2010, 10:45 PM
The Huns last home match, first home match since they officially won the League, stung by a 2 - 1 defeat by the Smellies.

No chance they will be lying down in front their home crowd.

However I doubt we'll pick up any points at Tannadice.

Dundee United have nothing to play for and with the Cup Final next week there is no way they will be going full steam to beat us. This should give us a chance of getting something from the game but the way hibs defend we could lose multiple goals against a pub team - as we did last Saturday.

7Hero
05-05-2010, 10:46 PM

and finally...

you sound like yogi, obviously both of you are idiots...

JohnScott
05-05-2010, 10:49 PM
6. Some of the football that we played tonight was sublime, totally sublime. The passing and movement for the first goal was top notch, and to be winning 2-6 away from home and playing so well was brilliant.

6. Some of the football that we played tonight was sublime, totally sublime. The passing and movement for the first goal was top notch, and to be winning 2-6 away from home and playing so well was brilliant.

So good it needs repeating. However........that bloody defence!!!
Sorry, forgot you were being positive hailhail.

California-Hibs
05-05-2010, 10:59 PM
1. wow. not something I would boast about given the position we played ourselves into.

2. wow. we are 1 point behind motherwell. How good is that?

3. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

4. Wait, you think D.Utd are so **** we can beat them, but they will beat RC?

5. If If But But

6. sadly every positive there is negated by a negative. 4 goal lead.
wait, is that right? 4 goal lead. yup checked it, a 4 goal lead.

credit to you for trying but it sounds like the desperate rantings of stress induced mental breakdown. are you John Hughes?

Congradulations on being a negative git. Some Hibs supporters = most FICKLE FANS EVER! Moan moan moan :rolleyes:

James70
05-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Why the hell was Riordan substituted? We just handed the game to them by removing our main attacking threat!

California-Hibs
05-05-2010, 11:00 PM

Seriously mate? You can away and DO one, arse.

PatHead
05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry I cant see how anyone can take a positive from tonight. Even 6 goals. The bulk of them were due to awful defending. There is absolutely no use in scoring goals if you cant defend a lead. The performance tonight was comparable with a junior team and that is being disrepectful to junoir football. I am sick and tired of defending a club (or supporters)who can find so many ways of snatching defeat from victory. How can we not close a game out? This is as important as scoring goals and it isnt as though we have scored bucketloads this season.

For the first time I would say get rid of that pathetic excuse of a manager. I don't know who to repace him with but we should have walked 3rd place with the players we have instead of hanging on for 5th place.

Replace him with anyone even if it means boring football a(nd yes I was there through the Miller/Blobby years) if it gives me a Scottish Cup and 3ed place in the league like Dundee Utd. I am sick and tired of excuses

Frogga
05-05-2010, 11:09 PM
I would like to add to this thread with another positive of my own - £1 to get in. Who said Scottish football wasn't value for money?!

California-Hibs
05-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I thank you, I'm not so negative really. I think the new stand will look super.
The grass will be in better condition next year.

What is Fickle by the way? I have heard it before obviously but just wondered.

Fickle - marked by erratic changeableness in affections or attachments
Quick to change one’s opinion or allegiance; insincere; not loyal or reliable

California-Hibs
05-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I would like to add to this thread with another positive of my own - £1 to get in. Who said Scottish football wasn't value for money?!

That was definatly a positive! Todays my 22nd birthday, and i thought i'd be cheeky and try and get in for a pound. So i bent my knees slightly as i approached the turnstyle, and to my delight i passed as a 16 year old! To be fair though, even at a 10er, that game was value for money.

Frogga
05-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah, I thought I'd walk in behind another group of 'chancers' but ended up walking through the turnstyle behind two kids who looked no more than 7 years old.

I thought my chance had gone then but no questions were asked!

Jonnyboy
05-05-2010, 11:28 PM
Oh the irony of playing good football at times going forward when it was on what's been described regularly as the worst playing surface in the SPL

Jonnyboy
05-05-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry I cant see how anyone can take a positive from tonight. Even 6 goals. The bulk of them were due to awful defending. There is absolutely no use in scoring goals if you cant defend a lead. The performance tonight was comparable with a junior team and that is being disrepectful to junoir football. I am sick and tired of defending a club (or supporters)who can find so many ways of snatching defeat from victory. How can we not close a game out? This is as important as scoring goals and it isnt as though we have scored bucketloads this season.

For the first time I would say get rid of that pathetic excuse of a manager. I don't know who to repace him with but we should have walked 3rd place with the players we have instead of hanging on for 5th place.

Replace him with anyone even if it means boring football a(nd yes I was there through the Miller/Blobby years) if it gives me a Scottish Cup and 3ed place in the league like Dundee Utd. I am sick and tired of excuses

As were theirs.

There were some positives tonight - Nish played really well and scored three goals. Stokes, Riordan and Wotherspoon also played well

Atalanta
05-05-2010, 11:31 PM
If we had been four goals down then fought back to get a draw it would be right to be pleased but to throw away a four goal lead is so awful, it completely shatters any feeling of elation from the earlier part of the game.

Given what has happened tonight I wouldn't bet against Hearts overcoming an eleven goal deficit to drop us down to sixth place.

PatHead
05-05-2010, 11:34 PM
As were theirs.

There were some positives tonight - Nish played really well and scored three goals. Stokes, Riordan and Wotherspoon also played well

sorry but still too annoyed to see that tonight. If they had played well we wouldnt have lost 6 goals. All players on the pitch have a responsibilty

7Hero
06-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Seriously mate? You can away and DO one, arse.
No bother how you can take any positives from that is beyond me a complete and utter joke of a football club right now

weonlywon6-2
06-05-2010, 06:21 AM

and finally...

i think stokes,riordan and nish will have the defence in an iron maiden this morning for f***ing up all their great work !!!

that strike force with a decent defence and we will have good times ahead,i hope

Betty Boop
06-05-2010, 06:48 AM
i think stokes,riordan and nish will have the defence in an iron maiden this morning for f***ing up all their great work !!!

that strike force with a decent defence and we will have good times ahead,i hope

Yogi thinks it is their fault.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/John-Hughes-blames-strikers-as.6275827.jp

RIP
06-05-2010, 07:08 AM
Good teams attack and defend with 11 players. Yogi's point is was 8 against 11 for the last 20 minutes
----------------------------
However...........

We have more points than last season

A higher place finish

A chance of Europe

Better league placing than Yams

New stand

New pitch

14 more goals than last season, 7 more than the previous season

3 more wins than last season

Well you did say a positive thread

M8UDB
06-05-2010, 07:20 AM
Yogi thinks it is their fault.

http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/John-Hughes-blames-strikers-as.6275827.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/John-Hughes-blames-strikers-as.6275827.jp)

I've been sticking up for Yogi but after reading that article its clear the man dosn't have a dink what he is on about - how the * can that shocking defensive performance be the attackers fault :confused::confused: every time the ball was fired into the box last night by well i was hiding behind the sofa because i new we just couldnt deal with it - tell me yogi how is that the attackers fault??

edit: oops this is a positive thread, its just that article got me slightly wound up!!

Sandy
06-05-2010, 07:26 AM

Bit harsh on the OP no ?, on the other hand I am starting to agree with you re Yogi :boo hoo:

500miles
06-05-2010, 10:40 AM
I think , to be fair, O'Brien was getting an awful lot of joy from our left side, and Stokes could have dropped deeper. We needed to stop them slinging balls into the box, but the front men dropped off after scoring 6.

ChrissyG1875
06-05-2010, 10:44 AM

You, my friend, are a ******.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 11:28 AM
Why the hell was Riordan substituted? We just handed the game to them by removing our main attacking threat!

I suppose if enough people say this, it will become a fact sooner or later.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Good teams attack and defend with 11 players. Yogi's point is was 8 against 11 for the last 20 minutes
----------------------------
However...........

We have more points than last season

A higher place finish

A chance of Europe

Better league placing than Yams

New stand

New pitch

14 more goals than last season, 7 more than the previous season

3 more wins than last season

Well you did say a positive thread

Maybe said in jest, but its all true, and facts. Yes it could have been so much better, but it is progress, off and on the pitch. More of the same please Hibs.:top marks:notworthy:

Franck is God
06-05-2010, 11:41 AM
I was at the game last night and this is my first post since.

There were a number of positives to take from last nights game, some of our football was excellent and we scored 6 good goals as a result of hard work, good movement and terrific finishing.

However after we scored the 6th it was the time hold possession and pick them off on the break. What we needed was someone with the presence and experience needed to just put a foot on the ball and slow it right down and forget the 'basketball' game that both sides had been playing up to that point....

I heard Yogi's comments after the game and I couldn't disagree with anything he said. Last night showed both the potential of the team and squad and also what was missing from it.

We still have a very good chance to finish 4th on Sunday. Rangers will not want to drop any points in their last home game on the day they get the championship trophy and after losing the OF derby. As for Dundee United I doubt we will be playing their first team and those that are playing will want to be involved in the cup final so will be looking to avoid silly injuries or suspensions.

Yogi then has the transfer window to bring in the players we need to kick on for 3rd place next year. It has been a strange season but I see more signs to be optimistic than not. Stability is what we need right now, not a new manager.

skipster7
06-05-2010, 11:42 AM
will have to ignore the last half hour-some great attacking play, looked like we would score every time we went forward for the first hour.colin nish should have had 2 stonewallers first half but his battle with refs ensures he gets nothing.some great one touch passing and you could see the confidence flowing through the team which makes it all the more galling what came next.

blackpoolhibs
06-05-2010, 11:44 AM

There were a number of positives to take from last nights game, some of our football was excellent and we scored 6 good goals as a result of hard work, good movement and terrific finishing.

However after we scored the 6th it was the time hold possession and pick them off on the break. What we needed was someone with the presence and experience needed to just put a foot on the ball and slow it right down and forget the 'basketball' game that both sides had been playing up to that point....

I heard Yogi's comments after the game and I couldn't disagree with anything he said. Last night showed both the potential of the team and squad and also what was missing from it.

We still have a very good chance to finish 4th on Sunday. Rangers will not want to drop any points in their last home game on the day they get the championship trophy and after losing the OF derby. As for Dundee United I doubt we will be playing their first team and those that are playing will want to be involved in the cup final so will be looking to avoid silly injuries or suspensions.

Yogi then has the transfer window to bring in the players we need to kick on for 3rd place next year. It has been a strange season but I see more signs to be optimistic than not. Stability is what we need right now, not a new manager.

That was McBrides job, then Smith took over proceedings.:boo hoo:

lyonhibs
06-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Congradulations on being a negative git. Some Hibs supporters = most FICKLE FANS EVER! Moan moan moan :rolleyes:

What do you mean "moan moan moan"

We just threw away a F O U R goal lead which would have near enough cemented a 4th place finish. I'll repeat, just for clarification.

We - in the space of 25 minutes - threw away a F O U R goal lead. People are pissed off and having a moan at this state of affairs, and you come out with the verdict of "negative git"??? :bitchy:

Franck is God
06-05-2010, 12:00 PM
That was McBrides job, then Smith took over proceedings.:boo hoo:

That was definitely why he was brought on but along with Rankin proceeded to just kick the ball away in the direction they were facing rather than show some balls and try and find a pass.

I had been impressed with McBride this season but last night didn't show up. I have been more critical of Rankin but can see he does have good qualities but neither player had enough to be part of a successful team.

Hopefully both will merely be decent back up for the new midfield that arrives in the summer.....

Moulin Yarns
06-05-2010, 12:29 PM
The OP was very brave for putting it on the main board, I put this (http://www.hibs.net/message/showpost.php?p=2455305&postcount=1) on the PM board where there is a better chance of reasoned debate.

hibbymac
06-05-2010, 12:50 PM

What was it the OP said that made you call him/her an idiot?

RoscoHibby
06-05-2010, 03:21 PM
The one real positive from this game was the attacking play. I hope the fact that its blatantly obvious when we move the ball quickly, we create chances, instead of just possession for the sake of it (huns at ER anyone?)

Hope this fact isn't lost on them in amongst this farce.

JohnScott
06-05-2010, 03:57 PM

Last night I kept a fellow Hibby (night shift worker) up to date on the game.

My texts went thus:

1) 1 nil Nish, cracking goal and he's just hit the post!
2) Now 1 all. **** we have a **** defence!
3) Nish just scored again!
4) I kid u not mate. 2 goals and hits post in 1st 20 minutes.
5) 3 ****ing 1!
6) Nish has a ****ing hat-trick 4 - 1!!
7) 4 - 2. That bloody defence!
8) Half time mate. Well 2, the Green Brazil 4. Some of the play from Hibs has been stunning. The 1st goal was brilliant.
9) Hibs 5!!!
10) 6!!!
11) 3 - 6.
12) 4 - 6.
13) I hate being a Hibby 5 - 6!!
14) Well miss penalty.
15) 6 - 6.
16) End!

49. With the greatest respect to you and Mr Hughes it was pretty obvious to most of us that the defence was total pish, well before the last 20 minutes. Riordan for one was dropping back plenty BEFORE he got hooked.
No excuses on behalf of our manager please 49.

lapsedhibee
06-05-2010, 04:59 PM
Oh the irony of playing good football at times going forward when it was on what's been described regularly as the worst playing surface in the SPL
Some superb footy in the first half. After 60 mins there was only one team playing though - there's a fitness/stamina/whatever problem at ER. (Bring back JC.)

Gotta disagree with that. Nishy was absolutely awful apart from his well-taken goals. Them aside, it was like playing a man short. The Mutha strikers won dozens of long balls hoofed up to them, Nishy none. Let me be the first person ever on .net to suggest that Nishy is not competent in the role of target man.

Joe's ice cream
06-05-2010, 07:06 PM

Likewise this is my first post since last night, couldn't face it after getting back from the game last night.

The last few weeks have given me some optimism, i honestly dont think that were far away, and totaly agree that we need a base to build from through next season.

I thought some of our play was very good and a real step up in work rate from recent weeks. I alos did not feel Hogg played as badly as everyone on here seems to think that he did- hey its all about opinions.

One final comment ref posts on Hughes looking like he was laughing at the end of the game, as i left the ground i actualy noticed many Hibs fans with a smile on there faces, beleive me they were not happy at the game i just think that it was total shock and amazment as what we had all just seen!!!

Weired reaction in know, but true!!!

basehibby
06-05-2010, 07:52 PM
Well there certainly was some great football played to put us 6-2 up in a real ding dong match.
Funnilly enough though I didn't once feel like I could relax until we were 6-2 up - Motherwell always looked up for it and we always looked fragile at the back, but at 6-2, surely we couldn't be caught I thought - oh how wrong I was!

But this is a positive thread and I don't think it would be fair to leave Motherwell out of it - regardless of defensive **** ups on Hibs' part I thought well's spirit was admirable - their heads never once went down and as for their equaliser - well I'll be surprised if the goal of the tourney at the World Cup Finals is any more impressive! It doesn't make up for the awful blunders that let them back into the game but personally, I feel ever so slightly less sheight about dropping points to a world class goal like that - quite simply it couldn't be accounted for.

Other positives:
1) we didn't lose
2) Nish hatrick was great to see
3) the Yams surely cannot catch us now
4) we're now odds on to qualify for europe (although I'll be a lot more relaxed leading up to the SC final if we finish in 4th place).