PDA

View Full Version : Hughes: 'Europe Should Have Been Done And Dusted By Now'

Speedway
05-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Good interview ahead of the Motherwell clash.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8660630.stm

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2010, 08:48 AM
Very good interview, but i suppose some would rather he said we were pish, the keeper couldn't catch a cold, miller cant recognise green, and nish has problems standing up.

Speedway
05-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Very good interview, but i suppose some would rather he said we were pish, the keeper couldn't catch a cold, miller cant recognise green, and nish has problems standing up.

:agree:

The salient points:

- I told you when we were winning that we were crap

- Now that you all know we're crap, I'm still enjoying it.

- Hearts didn't beat us, we beat us

- We're starting to play some decent football again

- While I'm doing this interview, the lads are in the gym playing one and two touch and we've finished training for today.

- There's a good spirit

- Europe should have been done and dusted by now

- If I started telling you about all the players we've tried to sign that have knocked us back, we'd be here for a while

- The question is, how to I make this group of players better and who can I bring in.

DC_Hibs
05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Stopped listening to interviews and watching Hibs TV a long time back despite all the fawning over his passion / enthusiasm / leithness!!! etc

It's Results AND performances on the pitch that count and it's time for him to be bulleted.

Falkirk's last season shows that giving him time will make no difference and he has done nowt with serious backing this season (10 players approx incl big earners such as Stokes and Miller...and 3 keepers)

We can keep changing the manager if they are no good.

DC_Hibs
05-05-2010, 09:00 AM

- If I started telling you about all the players we've tried to sign that have knocked us back, we'd be here for a while

We'll be getting near to Hearts wages to turnover ratio with the way our wages and crowds are going!!

Darth Hibbie
05-05-2010, 09:01 AM

The salient points:

- While I'm doing this interview, the lads are in the gym playing one and two touch and we've finished training for today.

- There's a good spirit

- The question is, how to I make this group of players better and who can I bring in.

Pretty much sums it up perfectly. We should not be getting rid of him imo but tonight and Sunday I think will be key to how the pre season pans out.

--------
05-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Sounds more considered, more level headed about things.

Just hope we can get a result tonight. That would settle a lot of issues, at least for the present moment. :agree:

--------
05-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Stopped listening to interviews and watching Hibs TV a long time back despite all the fawning over his passion / enthusiasm / leithness!!! etc

It's Results AND performances on the pitch that count and it's time for him to be bulleted.

Falkirk's last season shows that giving him time will make no difference and he has done nowt with serious backing this season (10 players approx incl big earners such as Stokes and Miller...and 3 keepers)

We can keep changing the manager if they are no good.

Actually, no we can't. Bigger clubs than Hibs have tried that, and it got them nowhere near where they wanted to be.

And cost them huge amounts of money.

erskine-hibby
05-05-2010, 09:12 AM
SSDD:blah::blah::blah:

Number69
05-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Its all very well talking the talk yogi, time to walk the walk though!!!

Beefster
Actually, no we can't. Bigger clubs than Hibs have tried that, and it got them nowhere near where they wanted to be.

And cost them huge amounts of money.

Doddie, we shouldn't be changing the manager when he's shown out of his depth? Not talking about Hughes here but you seem to be suggesting that we should stick with a piss poor manager because we've had a few managers in a short space of time before him?

K.Marx
http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Most-Hibs-fans-are-still.6272493.jp (http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Most-Hibs-fans-are-still.6272493.jp)

Not too sure about this interview though...If most fans were still behind Hughes then I doubt we would have seen the dwindling attendances we have experienced over the past few months.

The words "wool" and "eyes" come to mind :rolleyes:

down the slope
05-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Same old same old again and again, i'm afraid it does not wash any more. as for replacing managers it makes sound financial success when you consider that we will be 3k down in season ticket numbers at least , replace the manager and fans get filled with hope again and the result is fans renew their ST.Our last three managers who some say were so good are all on the dole so that speaks volumes to me.

--------
05-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Doddie, we shouldn't be changing the manager when he's shown out of his depth? Not talking about Hughes here but you seem to be suggesting that we should stick with a piss poor manager because we've had a few managers in a short space of time before him?

No, I'm saying we've had Mowbray two and a half years - bailed for a bigger job; Collins for a year and a half - walked out; Mixu for a year and a half - gone by mutual consent; now we punt Yogi after a year? How's about we just start a half-time draw of program-numbers - draw the (un)lucky number and be Hibs-Manager-For-The-Week? Or put it up as a YTS scheme? Community Service for teenage vandals?

I'm as concerned as anyone about the present run of results. I do not enjoy watching Hibs losing to the Soapdodgers, the Beasts, and the Unmentionables one after the other, or going out of the Cup to a lower-division team (though actually a pretty strong and well-organised one who might well render tonight's result irrelevant in regards to European qualification) any more than you do.

But I'm NOT convinced that our present predicament is ALL down to the manager, and I AM prepared to wait at least until Sunday evening before calling for his head. One problem I AM convinced we've made for ourselves is that the Hibs manager's job is rapidly becoming the least desirable one in the whole SPL.

Hainan Hibs
05-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Couldn't care what he says anymore, it's still the same pish every week on the park.

Speedway
05-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Couldn't care what he says anymore, it's still the same pish every week on the park.

Has been for 30 years bar two seasons, what's the point, eh?

Hainan Hibs
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Has been for 30 years bar two seasons, what's the point, eh?

I was meaning the defeat after defeat after defeat with no effort shown on the park, but hey, let's not get in the way of a smart arse response to a post.

down the slope
05-05-2010, 09:55 AM
Dodie , if the Hibs managers job becomes vacant there will be plenty of people interested, whether the chairman picks anything other than the cheap option remains to be seen.

Peevemor
05-05-2010, 09:59 AM
One problem I AM convinced we've made for ourselves is that the Hibs manager's job is rapidly becoming the least desirable one in the whole SPL.

I have to disagree there. From what I can see the manager is given a more than decent budget (by SPL standards) with very little interference from the board on how it's spent.

If the manager is given the 4th best budget in the league, are the fans being too ambitious if they expect the team to perform accordingly? Any manager who doesn't want that pressure isn't worth the (very good) money he is paid.

PaulSmith
05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Same old same old again and again, i'm afraid it does not wash any more. as for replacing managers it makes sound financial success when you consider that we will be 3k down in season ticket numbers at least , replace the manager and fans get filled with hope again and the result is fans renew their ST.Our last three managers who some say were so good are all on the dole so that speaks volumes to me.

A made up FACT?

Come the summer we have a good chance of European football to look foward to, completed stadium, bigger pitch, ship out a few more of the players that aren't acheiving and a couple of exciting players brought in and things are looking good again

Expecting Rain
05-05-2010, 10:24 AM
It seems like Yogi either hasn`t learned anything from our early performances, where we always allowed the opposition at least three or four attempts at goal scoring opportunities and got away with it or the players cannot be bothered and are looking forward to a few beers while watching the world cup.
I like Yogi and he can`t possibly take all of the blame for our dreadful run but he does have a major role in how we progress, beating Motherwell won`t drastically change things but it would be a start, much as i want to see Hibs in europe, i feel we are nowhere near the standards required, especially when we have toiled against St Johnstone,Hamilton Accies, Ross County twice and failed to beat a mediocre Hearts team all season.

Baader
05-05-2010, 10:26 AM
He's sounding like a politician I'm afriad...

Arch Stanton
05-05-2010, 10:26 AM

The salient points:

- There's a good spirit

"I told you when we were winning that we were crap" - no he didn't!

"We can go on and win this" is what he said about the CIS cup and something similar about the SC.

This is not a good interview - Craig Levein gives good interviews - explains the reason for things - John Hughes talks like a marketing guy - all sounding great but no real substance.

steakbake
05-05-2010, 10:34 AM
No, I'm saying we've had Mowbray two and a half years - bailed for a bigger job; Collins for a year and a half - walked out; Mixu for a year and a half - gone by mutual consent; now we punt Yogi after a year? How's about we just start a half-time draw of program-numbers - draw the (un)lucky number and be Hibs-Manager-For-The-Week? Or put it up as a YTS scheme? Community Service for teenage vandals?

We should change managers as and when required, not have some kind of misplaced loyalty. You can bang your head off a brick wall as much as you like, but at some point you have to accept it is still a brick wall.

Speedway
05-05-2010, 10:41 AM
I was meaning the defeat after defeat after defeat with no effort shown on the park, but hey, let's not get in the way of a smart arse response to a post.

It's what I do best.

HH I really enjoy your posts and my tone was intended as gentle sarcasm.

No-one wants defeat after defeat but over the last 3 games, I'm not seeing a lack of effort, I'm seeing a lack of ability and as I keep making the point, a small 10,000 supported club can expect to see that in the future as they have in the past.

Niffy
05-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah , how much does time cost to buy these days ?
Heard it all before.

greenlex
05-05-2010, 10:50 AM

There has been effort at least since the split.The effort is there its just we have forgotten how to win. Still let's not let that get int the way of a Yogi bashing.

Craig_in_Prague
05-05-2010, 10:56 AM
There's been an improvement on effort in terms of running about, but the players need to also start using their brains and making better decisions.
We seem to lack bottle and really look like a spineless bunch indeed.

We don't look like a team capable of creating enough chances anymore, we look a bit void of ideas. There's the odd flash in games, but we had that under Mixu which wasn't deemed good enough.. too many strikers on the park being accomodated, which gives us unbalance in midfield, full backs usually exposed and we must be the easiest team in the league for opposing managers to set up their side.

hstn747
05-05-2010, 11:17 AM
How much of a role do expectations of a club affect the players and/or manager?

Hibs’ budget for 5th place and 2 rounds of cup income. While this might be prudent, it might just subconsciously lower expectations. Our form has dipped since we were in a position that just about guaranteed 5th place.

Perhaps the club should offer the financial benefits the club gains for extra achievement/league places as a reward to the players. It would mean that once minimum standards have been achieved, they have an extra motivation to push on a level and actually achieve something greater. And while the club would lose that income, they would benefit from greater attendances and presumably higher season ticket revenue the season after.

While it may not be ideal, players should want to win every game regardless, if players make the majority of their wage for winning, this would really help to keep them focused.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2010, 11:20 AM

He did. He said something like "I have no doubt that we won't go unbeaten until the end of the season and we will hit a sticky patch" At the time we were flying high and being spoken about as chellengers, a lot of folk got carried away and I think that accounts for the level of backlash at the moment.

There has been effort at least since the split.The effort is there its just we have forgotten how to win. Still let's not let that get int the way of a Yogi bashing.

:agree: Plenty effort, just not enough skill.

Speedway
05-05-2010, 11:23 AM

Yes he did. He told us several times that:

a) he wasn't getting carried away by the results and

b) We were miles away from where he wanted us to be.

He's also said where that 'wants us to be' actually is.

IWasThere2016
05-05-2010, 11:29 AM

Aye but that is absolutely NO defence for the current form/defeats etc.

Speedway
05-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Aye but that is absolutely NO defence for the current form/defeats etc.

Who's saying there is?

IWasThere2016
05-05-2010, 11:31 AM
Who's saying there is?

It is hinted at surely :cool2: Still you agree then?

Speedway
05-05-2010, 11:34 AM
It is hinted at surely :cool2: Still you agree then?

I agree that:

1. The run we're on is unacceptable

2. That Hughes knew the good run wouldn't last

3. That Hughes' opinion of his squad on and off camera are two different things

4. That immigration should be capped

5. That there should be no rise on National Insurance

IWasThere2016
05-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I agree that:

1. The run we're on is unacceptable

2. That Hughes knew the good run wouldn't last

3. That Hughes' opinion of his squad on and off camera are two different things

4. That immigration should be capped

5. That there should be no rise on National Insurance

Thank you Mr Cameron - you're still no getting ma vote :greengrin

Speedway
05-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Thank you Mr Cameron - you're still no getting ma vote :greengrin

So you're going to side with 'untruth after untruth' then? :greengrin

Bad Martini
05-05-2010, 11:42 AM

This is true to a point and indeed, nobody would disagree with him on that.

However, he's not doing much on the park to get us where he wants us to be due to being:

1) Unable to do anything to get us where he wants us to be
2) Unable to get those who CAN get us where we want to be, to get us there

...that is somewhat BESIDE the point. The point here is, we're NOT where ANY of us want us to be and Yogi doesn't seem to be able to get us there either really....

Our current league position is not bad. It's true we've had far worse. But be fair; we had far worse under different circumstances. We've not had the worst of luck this season, we've not had player revolts, huge backlashes, masses of folk kicked out or left and a huge lack of money or support - by our standards, this side of things has been the best it's been in the last few years AND most other teams have been rather pish and inconsistent too - YET, on the backdrop of all of THIS, we are still not where any of us want to be.

Don't suggest we should empty the manager right now but FFS, we need something tangible to show we COULD get to where we want to be before everything good is deemed luck.....

Dinkydoo
05-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Same old same old :rolleyes:

We played well against Der Huns and Smelltic (well, better than we've been recently) yet were pretty crap against Hearts.

Yogi needs to be able to not only motivate our players for the "big games" but also the ones against "lower" opposition - as it is these games that will decide how well our season goes.

I agree that it is a good interview (I expect nothing else from JH) but to be frank I've pretty much had enough of him "talking the talk" to only watch the players make a mockery out of him and themselves the next day on the park.

None the less I'll be watching the game tonight, with my bottles of bud, preparing myself for Motherwell to come out worthy winners in a game where we show no fight or desire......

and I'm usually optimistic! :faf:

7Hero
05-05-2010, 11:51 AM
you have to say he does talk the biggest amount of crap.

stating that we beat ourselves and in the same sentence saying he doesnt want to take anything away from hearts ??

his big plan seems to be that hopefully the luck will turn, im afraid yogi if you are relying on luck then we are all ******ed..

Ill give him another season only because i do believe managers take time and he has brought 2 great players in stokes and miller to the club, he just needs to built better players around them and get rid of the deadwood.

lyonhibs
05-05-2010, 11:54 AM

The salient points:

- I told you when we were winning that we were crap - errr well done on your clairvoyancy Yogi. You didn't think about changing the root cause of that crapness at that time, such that when our luck ran out we weren't absolutely goosed?? Shame

- Now that you all know we're crap, I'm still enjoying it. - Glad you are "mate" - can't say I share this enthusiasm for seeing my team lose 6 on the spin, but hey ho

- Hearts didn't beat us, we beat us - absolute nonsense, which conveniently tries to trivialise the fact that by employing simple tactics that everyone else knew were coming, Hearts yet again beat us at ER

- There's a good spirit

- Europe should have been done and dusted by now - talk about being patronising and stating the bleedin' obvious - too damn right it should have been. Why isn't it? Why have we chucked a 17 point lead over Hearts down the pan? Why are Dundee United 10+ points clear of us, when they were at one point 5, if not more, points behind?

Over to you Yogi.

Sounds like the usual, tiresome Yogi mix of platitudes and statements that are so bloody obvious, and have been for months, that it makes the fact that he and the players have so abjectly failed to address the issues all the more unacceptable and infuriating.

2 games left to secure Europe, time for the players to step up to the plate, show some metal etc etc etc.

Let's wait and see................ :rolleyes:

heretoday
05-05-2010, 12:00 PM
You can't help but admire his optimism and humour. Sometimes though I yearn for a "mebbe's aye, mebbe's naw" type of manager who gives nothing away.

I'd still give him another chance, but get that defence strengthened, Yogi. They are absolutely hopeless.

Arch Stanton
05-05-2010, 12:35 PM

THe usual manager's type quotes in other words, however, most of his mouthing-off was of the upbeat variety.

There is absolutely no way that he did serious downplaying of our chances or keeping a lid on fan's expectations - witness his comments on our chances in the cup competitions!

Speedway
05-05-2010, 12:41 PM
You can't help but admire his optimism and humour. Sometimes though I yearn for a "mebbe's aye, mebbe's naw" type of manager who gives nothing away.

I'd still give him another chance, but get that defence strengthened, Yogi. They are absolutely hopeless.

But when we get a Mebbe's aye manager, we yearn to know what's going on in the background and hate being kept in the dark.

The more years I support Hibs, the more I think our results in general have little to do with whatever manager or group of players we care to employ.

Obviously absolute crap will get us relegated and spending millions will get us the title but Hibs are a prudent little club who will spend within their means and in so doing, will secure mediocrity for life because it's outwith our strategy to spend big and try for real sustained success.

So it's a case of what we'd rather have: the reality that no manger will get us to where Yogi wants us to be, including Yogi himself or a return to McLeish's team that we couldn't afford. Somewhere in the middle of that, is where we won't reach.

Speedway
05-05-2010, 12:51 PM
THe usual manager's type quotes in other words, however, most of his mouthing-off was of the upbeat variety.

There is absolutely no way that he did serious downplaying of our chances or keeping a lid on fan's expectations - witness his comments on our chances in the cup competitions!

Course he did, but fans are bi polar. 80% of the time this messageboard is .........g hell we're .... and 20% of the time it's .........g hell we're unbeatable, we're going to pump the yams. They don't listen nor take time to assess in general. They're living their dreams/frustrations through Hibs. Hibs take the brunt of both of those emotions.

I was on this messageboard for the McLeish and Mowbray eras. Widely accepted as our best 'Hibs Class' sides since Turnbull. No ****er was happy then either. Comedy defending and no plan B was the constant gripe for Mowbray and signing Paul Fenwick from Morton and the 2nd half of season collapse in the 6-2 season was what we hated McLeish for.

We then hated McLeish for being unable to turn it around the following season (tactically naiive) and signing the tank and 'Useless De La Cruz' and then our hate was complete when he thought '.... this' and got himself a real job.

So that's why Nish was actually right. The fans are miserable no matter what, their view is negative and as such imbalance in their assessment exists, you can discount their opinions as ill informed.

RIP
05-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Sorry guys but the past 3 managers didn't fix the problems at the club, this one won't and neither will the next

Squad churns, tactics mean **** all if you are faced with player power, working 'days' of a couple of hours duration, lifestyle issues and a lack of basic fitness and application.

That's the situation that Mowbray, Collins, Mixu and Yogi faced when they came to Hibs. The previous 3 managers all left without fixing it. Maybe, before he gets sacked, Yogi will realise he can't fix it either and walk.

At the end of the day, a Hibs manager is just another lowly paid temp - in one season, oot the next.

Now if only we could make Eddie Turnbull Director of Football :greengrin

Speedway
05-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Sorry guys but the past 3 managers didn't fix the problems at the club, this one won't and neither will the next

Squad churns, tactics mean **** all if you are faced with player power, working 'days' of a couple of hours duration, lifestyle issues and a lack of basic fitness and application.

That's the situation that Mowbray, Collins, Mixu and Yogi faced when they came to Hibs. The previous 3 managers all left without fixing it. Maybe, before he gets sacked, Yogi will realise he can't fix it either and walk.

At the end of the day, a Hibs manager is just another lowly paid temp - in one season, oot the next.

Absolutely spot on 49years.

Woody1985
05-05-2010, 01:29 PM

Where did you get this information?

People forget that ST slumps/attendances aren't always directly related to performance on the field.

I PATG and I was going to a lot of games earlier in the season but I have been skint since around xmas/new year, and I'm willing to bet there's a fair few who will be worse off than me (I've got a steady job etc), so that's why I haven't been in the latter part of the season.

Those fans that you speak of who 'get filled with hope', are they just potential 'glory hunters' that want to tell their mates they were there and give the team dogs abuse when we're crap and throw in the towel?

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Course he did, but fans are bi polar. 80% of the time this messageboard is .........g hell we're .... and 20% of the time it's .........g hell we're unbeatable, we're going to pump the yams. They don't listen nor take time to assess in general. They're living their dreams/frustrations through Hibs. Hibs take the brunt of both of those emotions.

I was on this messageboard for the McLeish and Mowbray eras. Widely accepted as our best 'Hibs Class' sides since Turnbull. No ****er was happy then either. Comedy defending and no plan B was the constant gripe for Mowbray and signing Paul Fenwick from Morton and the 2nd half of season collapse in the 6-2 season was what we hated McLeish for.

We then hated McLeish for being unable to turn it around the following season (tactically naiive) and signing the tank and 'Useless De La Cruz' and then our hate was complete when he thought '.... this' and got himself a real job.

So that's why Nish was actually right. The fans are miserable no matter what, their view is negative and as such imbalance in their assessment exists, you can discount their opinions as ill informed.

:top marks Great posts guys.

jacomo
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Mr Pravda back again, eh? I preferred you when you were doom and gloom.

Answer this, please...

If motivating the players "isn't a problem", and Hughes is getting "a great response" from them, and the squad is better than last year... why are we doing so poorly?

It must be the tactics.

Hughes has got an easy ride from the media this season, especially his mate Brian McLauchin. Six defeats in a row, two wins out of 13 is worse than anything Mixu or JC did.

Still, at least he's still enjoying himself eh? :rolleyes:

jacomo
05-05-2010, 02:16 PM

But Yogi says the players have done everything he's asked of them since he came in? :confused:

So clearly, it's NOT the players... unless he's talking tosh to protect them.

In which case, why?

Andy74
05-05-2010, 02:21 PM
Mr Pravda back again, eh? I preferred you when you were doom and gloom.

Answer this, please...

If motivating the players "isn't a problem", and Hughes is getting "a great response" from them, and the squad is better than last year... why are we doing so poorly?

It must be the tactics.

Hughes has got an easy ride from the media this season, especially his mate Brian McLauchin. Six defeats in a row, two wins out of 13 is worse than anything Mixu or JC did.

Still, at least he's still enjoying himself eh? :rolleyes:

You can be responding well, be motivated and be a decent player, but unfortunately football is still a sport and quite often fully motivated people with ability don't play well.

When that goes on for a few weeks and you also chuck in injuries, pitch conditions and that sort of thing it can be very difficult, despite your best endeavours to turn it back around.

If Hughes is to get the blame for everything for the last 3 months or so it's only right to give him credit for the first 7 months or so when results were good? If there are to be no excuses then we also just need to take the earlier results as they fell as well.

I'm not sure why i'm surpirsed anymore but a game tonight for 4th place, having spent most of the seaon in 3rd place and we are discussing sacking a manager in his first year in charge. With our record over the time I've ben watching Hibs its a quite bizarre thing to be having to discuss.

Cropley10
05-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Once more into the breach...

What a huge evening of SPHell fitba it is tonight.

I don't think I can stand it and will have to take the dug a huge walk

Mon the Hibs:hnet:

Cropley10
05-05-2010, 02:33 PM
You can be responding well, be motivated and be a decent player, but unfortunately football is still a sport and quite often fully motivated people with ability don't play well.

When that goes on for a few weeks and you also chuck in injuries, pitch conditions and that sort of thing it can be very difficult, despite your best endeavours to turn it back around.

If Hughes is to get the blame for everything for the last 3 months or so it's only right to give him credit for the first 7 months or so when results were good? If there are to be no excuses then we also just need to take the earlier results as they fell as well.

I'm not sure why i'm surpirsed anymore but a game tonight for 4th place, having spent most of the seaon in 3rd place and we are discussing sacking a manager in his first year in charge. With our record over the time I've ben watching Hibs its a quite bizarre thing to be having to discuss.

Except of course we're on our worse run in 13 years. We've gone from splitting the OF, to third, to fourth and could still end 6th! At one point we were talking about Hertz getting relegated and not even making top 6. They might still overtake us.

The wheels have come off the wagon and EVERYONE is to blame. In football that means, predominantly, the manager. And for all his 'ideas' I've not seen anything on the pitch in terms of formation, tactics, or substitutions and the timing of substitutions to make me think he's going to change.

However - all that being said - there are a couple of very sensible posts on this thread alone that have reminded me that the glass is still half full.

I wonder what your assessment will be if we can't beat either Well or United??

IWasThere2016
05-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Except of course we're on our worse run in 13 years. We've gone from splitting the OF, to third, to fourth and could still end 6th! At one point we were talking about Hertz getting relegated and not even making top 6. They might still overtake us.

The wheels have come off the wagon and EVERYONE is to blame. In football that means, predominantly, the manager. And for all his 'ideas' I've not seen anything on the pitch in terms of formation, tactics, or substitutions and the timing of substitutions to make me think he's going to change.

However - all that being said - there are a couple of very sensible posts on this thread alone that have reminded me that the glass is still half full.

Transition, patience, next season ... usual behaviour of the sycophants

Andy74
05-05-2010, 02:46 PM

Taking the season as a whole if we end up 6th I think it will have been very disappointing and if we finish 5th that too would be dissppinting. 4th I would say would be a success regardless of how we got there in the end as over the course we will have done enough.

I still recall the reaction oto the first Hamilton defeat, a very good unbeaten run, we spanked Motherwell a couple of times, scraped wins like 3-0 against St Johnstone which we'd have taken any recent years, had a good draw at Ibrox and won at Parkhead.

If we had a settled team all year and better pitches I'd feel worse about our current run.

I can see enough to consider that a real right back, a phyisical presence when things are tough and proper cover for key players like McBride and Zemmama would have been enough to remain consistent enough to take 3rd place and so I am looking forward to next year despite the recent run.

Runs like this happen, when little things keep it going it gets harder and harder to get out of but it doesn't suggest to me that there are any great underlying problems.

I'm not really buying the tactics thing, I've read people complain for months on here yet I've not read a single thing yet that's made me think any of those people have hit upon something that would work instead.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2010, 02:47 PM

What will you guys say if we get 4 points from 6 in the next 2 games. "we got lucky" or "it was in spite of Yogi not because" is my guess.

Andy74
05-05-2010, 02:48 PM

Sorry, is a sycophant a name for someone who attends matches and has an opinion? :confused:

Labelling peple and creating some sort of side to take just suggests to me that many actively enjoy being able to have a go and complain.

Arch Stanton
05-05-2010, 02:49 PM

My post was about what Hughes said and not about how 'us' fans thought about this or that- maybe you should read it again.

And it would be good too if you could also point me to a newspaper or HI interview where he came out with those cautionary tales you are referring to - it is worrying me that my memory might be on the wane.

Andy74
05-05-2010, 02:55 PM
My post was about what Hughes said and not about how 'us' fans thought about this or that- maybe you should read it again.

And it would be good too if you could also point me to a newspaper or HI interview where he came out with those cautionary tales you are referring to - it is worrying me that my memory might be on the wane.

Here's one from September telling us what we knew then and still know now:

Hibs have had a turbulent fortnight on the pitch going out of the Co-Operative Cup to St Johnstone and suffering an embarrassing defeat away to Hamilton in the league.

Hughes though is putting the blame on the over-physical tactics of Hibs’ opponents, saying they are intentionally trying to stop free-flowing football.

“We were bullied to tell you the truth. No disrespect to St Johnstone or Hamilton but when anyone stands up against us and wants to go on one-on-one battles, we seem to come off second best. That’s not a criticism of my team - it is just something we have to get right.

He continued: “You have to earn the right to play football and that’s one of the reasons teams are at us. We have to overcome that.”

Hughes acknowledges that the small stature of some of his players is a concern however he is determined that the quality of the football will win over.

“Sometimes the best packages come in small doses.

“One thing I will say is that I come in here and I have got boys that want to train like champions and it is starting to filter through to the rest of them.”

The Easter Road team are nowhere near the standard Hughes hopes for, a position he hopes to change over time.

“I’m honest enough to say to the supporters that we are miles away from where I want to see it but I would like to think that they are seeing that the guys I have brought to this club are at a standard that will take Hibs there.”

The disappointing knockout of the Co-Op Cup and the recent away defeat against 10th placed Hamilton was a blow for Hughes however he is not prepared to dwindle over the defeat and is looking firmly towards the future and the star players he hopes can make results.

“It’s not the be all and end all. We just need to roll the sleeves up, not feel sorry for ourselves and get ready to go.

“Derek [Riordan] is working ever so hard - he has something in his locker that the other guys have not got. He is a genius, a maverick, same as Stoke.

“You just need to make sure you whole team set up is designed for these two guys to go and produce the magic.”

Jonnyboy
05-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Does that refer to those who disagree with you G? Bit disrespectful if you ask me :bitchy:

Arch Stanton
05-05-2010, 03:36 PM
Here's one from September telling us what we knew then and still know now:

Hibs have had a turbulent fortnight on the pitch going out of the Co-Operative Cup to St Johnstone and suffering an embarrassing defeat away to Hamilton in the league.

Hughes though is putting the blame on the over-physical tactics of Hibs’ opponents, saying they are intentionally trying to stop free-flowing football.

Hughes acknowledges that the small stature of some of his players is a concern however he is determined that the quality of the football will win over.

The Easter Road team are nowhere near the standard Hughes hopes for, a position he hopes to change over time.

“I’m honest enough to say to the supporters that we are miles away from where I want to see it but I would like to think that they are seeing that the guys I have brought to this club are at a standard that will take Hibs there.”

So he didn't, as claimed, tell us when we were winning we were crap - he told us in the course of making excuses for himself after two disappointing losses.

And that is also a long way from saying we were crap - being miles away from what he wanted to see just isn't the same thing - especially as he is saying he has the players who can achieve the necessary standards.

bawheid
05-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Does that refer to those who disagree with you G? Bit disrespectful if you ask me :bitchy:

:agree: You won't get a response. I'm in no doubt he's already on his way through to watch the Hibees...

Speedway
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM

Based on MY post, what would be the point?

You don't need me for that, take your pick of any Hughes HI interview from October-December 2009

So he didn't, as claimed, tell us when we were winning we were crap - he told us in the course of making excuses for himself after two disappointing losses.

And that is also a long way from saying we were crap - being miles away from what he wanted to see just isn't the same thing - especially as he is saying he has the players who can achieve the necessary standards.

Can you not read between the lines?

Cropley10
05-05-2010, 03:54 PM
What will you guys say if we get 4 points from 6 in the next 2 games. "we got lucky" or "it was in spite of Yogi not because" is my guess.

4+ points and I will be delighted DH.

Absolutely - bloody - delighted. Please believe me on that.

It will give us something to build on, mean we finish 4th etc.

(You will forgive me though for not having a three figure wager on this happening, based on what I have seen?:wink:)

Arch Stanton
05-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Can you not read between the lines?

Not so easy with Hughes since he is more than capable of contradicting himself in the same sentence.:greengrin

Speedway
05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
Not so easy with Hughes since he is more than capable of contradicting himself in the same sentence.:greengrin

True enough. :greengrin

Anyway, if the rumours are to be believed, Hughes has bought us a new right back today and no, I don't know who it is.

Cropley10
05-05-2010, 04:15 PM
True enough. :greengrin

Anyway, if the rumours are to be believed, Hughes has bought us a new right back today and no, I don't know who it is.

Is he Hibs Class?

Speedway
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Is he Hibs Class?

No chance. Which player ever is?

I'm hearing there are supposed to be two players secured this week now. One is supposed to be Woods from the Pars.

Cropley10
05-05-2010, 04:19 PM
No chance. Which player ever is?

I'm hearing there are supposed to be two players secured this week now. One is supposed to be Woods from the Pars.

I'm reading the same thing...:wink:

RIP
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
But Yogi says the players have done everything he's asked of them since he came in? :confused:

So clearly, it's NOT the players... unless he's talking tosh to protect them.

In which case, why?

Maybe he doesnae want another Collins-Style revolt?

Phil D. Rolls
05-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Has he congratulated a player for doing "ever so well" yet? If I've missed it I'll be as sick as a parrot.

Speedway
05-05-2010, 04:46 PM
Has he congratulated a player for doing "ever so well" yet? If I've missed it I'll be as sick as a parrot.

I'll say this, it'll be all credit to the boys if he does.

jacomo
05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Maybe he doesnae want another Collins-Style revolt?

But hardly any of the players who were involved in that are still at the club!

Just read quotes posted by Andy74 above, where Hughes says his squad "want to train like champions".

So, which is it? Cos if the players are training hard and committed, and we're still this bad, the fault lies squarely at the manager's feet.

Our form right now is absolutely shocking, woeful. Two wins from 13 is relegation form.

we are hibs
05-05-2010, 04:56 PM
at the end of the day it not all just yogis fault some certian players havent got the heart to run around all day its bloody frustrating.:grr:

Phil D. Rolls
05-05-2010, 05:28 PM
at the end of the day it not all just yogis fault some certian players havent got the heart to run around all day its bloody frustrating.:grr:

:agree:It's a season of two halfs.

matty_f
05-05-2010, 05:34 PM

Thing is G, that folk said that we weren't good enough some time back, we've not been able to improve the playing pool since then, in fact we've had to deal without our best players with the loss of Zemmama, Miller, McBride, Bamba, Stack and so on for many of the recent games.

Those that said transition, patience, next season should really be sticking to that and not changing their minds based on bad run of recent results, otherwise they're just fickle.

hibiedude
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM

:top marks

Jim44
05-05-2010, 06:17 PM
- If I started telling you about all the players we've tried to sign that have knocked us back, we'd be here for a while.

Not exactly reassuring for the so-called 'future transition'. What's he trying to tell us? :rolleyes:

Hibee_Rab
05-05-2010, 06:37 PM

Not at all related to your post, can I just ask if you change your name every year or are you going to stick with hibs for 49 years then support another team? :flying:

CiscoKid
05-05-2010, 06:43 PM
I thought it was an encouraging interview and confirms to me that we need to give Yogi a bit more time.

A couple of bits worried me, he still seems to think we are playing well and have been unlucky in a lot of games, I think there have been hints of bad luck but I don't think he has a handle what he needs to do to turn things round as he continues to churn out a lot of the same old excuses every week.

I was a bit disappointed that he seemed to be running out of idea's on how to make best use of the training facilities.

I wonder if he needs another right hand man either an old experienced guy like Craig Brown/Archie Knox or an ex-player looking to get into management who has some fresh idea's ideally a budding John Collins/Eric Black type character who would be bringing in some good ideas from somewhere abroad like France or Holland.

Phil D. Rolls
05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Hughes should be done and dusted by now.

RIP
06-05-2010, 07:32 AM
Not at all related to your post, can I just ask if you change your name every year or are you going to stick with hibs for 49 years then support another team? :flying:

Next year I'll be 50years a Hibee. My first match was East of Scotland Shield 1961.

I was brought up near Abbeyhill. My dad's family were Yams but dad couldnae afford the fares to Tynie :greengrin

down the slope
06-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Here is a wee quote from todays Record, "We are in there playing for a European place and my emotions are all over the place and it just goes to show that we have a lot of work in front of us. My players character will now be tested.
"We have to produce on the park and I like to think we do have the character to get this club into Europe.
"If they do not I have to ask serious questions because at 4-1 and 6-2 ahead we should not have drawn the match.
"I will question the players and see if they come back with positive answers.
"I have been in this game long enough to know what needs to be done and I need to work with them and teach them and stand side by side with them and toughen them up.
"We need to work together through this."

If he knows what needs to be done why has he not done it?, serious questions !!!, the only serious question is when are you going ?.

Danderhall Hibs
06-05-2010, 07:49 AM
If he knows what needs to be done why has he not done it?, serious questions !!!, the only serious question is when are you going ?.

Do you think you can you just click your fingers and change things?

matty_f
06-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Do you think you can you just click your fingers and change things?

That's the crux of it. Hughes says in the interview he tried to bring in players to sort out the problem areas in January, but couldn't get the ones he wanted at that time.

So not only was he not able to improve the squad, he's had to get by without his best players for key parts of the last two months.

Phil D. Rolls
06-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Here is a wee quote from todays Record, "We are in there playing for a European place and my emotions are all over the place and it just goes to show that we have a lot of work in front of us. My players character will now be tested.
"We have to produce on the park and I like to think we do have the character to get this club into Europe.
"If they do not I have to ask serious questions because at 4-1 and 6-2 ahead we should not have drawn the match.
"I will question the players and see if they come back with positive answers.
"I have been in this game long enough to know what needs to be done and I need to work with them and teach them and stand side by side with them and toughen them up.
"We need to work together through this."

The bullsh*t just doesn't stop does it, he must surely run out of empty soundbites soon?

Beefster
06-05-2010, 08:17 AM
That's the crux of it. Hughes says in the interview he tried to bring in players to sort out the problem areas in January, but couldn't get the ones he wanted at that time.

So not only was he not able to improve the squad, he's had to get by without his best players for key parts of the last two months.

He's also said that, in the main, he'll need to improve the players that he's already got.

So, if he knew what players needed improved in January and that it was his job to improve them, why have they gotten steadily worse since then?