PDA

View Full Version : Colin Stein

Jonnyboy
04-05-2010, 10:06 PM
I've just read Colin Stein's book 'Shooting Star' and in it he talks with great fondness of the Napoli game where Hibs came back from a 4-1 first leg deficit to win 5-0 at ER and progress into round three of the Fairs Cup.

Sadly Colin's memory has played tricks on him because he says that Hibs qualified to meet Napoli after defeating Racing Club of Paris in Round One. In fact, Hibs defeated Porto in Round One so if you know Colin, tell him to get his story straight next time :greengrin

Got me to thinking - I wonder what the guys who treated us to some cracking European adventures would think of the present day Hibs outfit. Not a lot I should imagine :wink:

IWasThere2016
04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I've just read Colin Stein's book 'Shooting Star' and in it he talks with great fondness of the Napoli game where Hibs came back from a 4-1 first leg deficit to win 5-0 at ER and progress into round three of the Fairs Cup.

Sadly Colin's memory has played tricks on him because he says that Hibs qualified to meet Napoli after defeating Racing Club of Paris in Round One. In fact, Hibs defeated Porto in Round One so if you know Colin, tell him to get his story straight next time :greengrin

Got me to thinking - I wonder what the guys who treated us to some cracking European adventures would think of the present day Hibs outfit. Not a lot I should imagine :wink:

How do you remember this stuff? Amazing given you were 76 years young at the time also :wink: :greengrin

Jonnyboy
04-05-2010, 10:29 PM
How do you remember this stuff? Amazing given you were 76 years young at the time also :wink: :greengrin

Easy. Just don't ask me about anything that happened today, or yesterday :greengrin

NaeTechnoHibby
05-05-2010, 12:12 AM

They don't going by recent stuff I read about the launch of Sir Paddy's book last week :agree:

Nane made it, and honourable mention for Deeks in the press (probably after being grilled aboot it :rolleyes:) and well, the Legend that is Lawrie Reilly practically said they were useless, in comparison, so much so he's stopped going to away games :boo hoo:

It does make me always think that anyone old enough to have memories of both the Famous Five and Tornadoes are extremely lucky :agree:

Goodness knows what any ex-player of those era's would really say if not bound by the sentimentalist attachment to the club :wink:

KWJ
05-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Yup you're right. I feel for my wee brother who missed out on seeing Latapy & Sauzee in the mood from 99-very early 01 & the occasional masterclass from Mowbray's babes.

NaeTechnoHibby
05-05-2010, 01:08 AM
Yup you're right. I feel for my wee brother who missed out on seeing Latapy & Sauzee in the mood from 99-very early 01 & the occasional masterclass from Mowbray's babes.

I take issue with that sweetie :agree:

They were "Boabies Bairns" at that during the2002-2004 era :thumbsup:

The so-called golden generation :agree:

A few add ons from Mowbray, that werenae strikers :thumbsup:

rossi
05-05-2010, 02:08 AM
Those were different times. If we produced a famous five or Turnbull's Tornadoes now they would be bought by bigger clubs before they could win a jot.

francobaresi
05-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Those were different times. If we produced a famous five or Turnbull's Tornadoes now they would be bought by bigger clubs before they could win a jot.

Spot on, get anywhere near a good team contesting on a regular basis would be broken up & sold to the highest bidder. Until attitudes & finances & personal ambitions change that is!

GGTTH

--------
05-05-2010, 09:33 AM
They don't going by recent stuff I read about the launch of Sir Paddy's book last week :agree:

Nane made it, and honourable mention for Deeks in the press (probably after being grilled aboot it :rolleyes:) and well, the Legend that is Lawrie Reilly practically said they were useless, in comparison, so much so he's stopped going to away games :boo hoo:

It does make me always think that anyone old enough to have memories of both the Famous Five and Tornadoes are extremely lucky :agree:

Goodness knows what any ex-player of those era's would really say if not bound by the sentimentalist attachment to the club :wink:

Oh yes.

Watching 2 wins in 16 from a team in the same colours and on the same home pitch as Stanton, Blackley, Gordon and Schaedler and the rest played.

Remembering where we were, and how we threw it all away.

Thinking of all the might-have-beens.

Aye, a right barrel of laughs. :rolleyes:

Ray_
05-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I take issue with that sweetie :agree:

They were "Boabies Bairns" at that during the2002-2004 era :thumbsup:

The so-called golden generation :agree:

A few add ons from Mowbray, that werenae strikers :thumbsup:

On that token the TT's were a combination of Bob Shankly & Willie Mac's Tornadoes as Ned only signed Herriot, Edwards & Gordon.:greengrin

PS As far as I can remember Dave Ewing only resigned Joe Baker, bril as it was at the time, Ned brought in Alan Gordon to replace him, therefore I left Dave out of the TT's team building.

iwasthere1972
05-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Wonderful nights both the Porto and Napoli matches. As an 11 year old standing on the huge terraces at ER watching us first beat the Portugese and then totally pump the Italians I thought this how it would be forever. Sadly we haven't seen the likes again.

What would they think of the present team? It's a family board. :wink:

Jonnyboy
05-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Wonderful nights both the Porto and Napoli matches. As an 11 year old standing on the huge terraces at ER watching us first beat the Portugese and then totally pump the Italians I thought this how it would be forever. Sadly we haven't seen the likes again.

What would they think of the present team? It's a family board. :wink:

Me too :agree:

Was great while it lasted :greengrin

Gerard
05-05-2010, 05:52 PM

I think that JB is now the only living person who was present when we last won the Scottish Cup:wink::thumbsup::greengrin:devil:
Gerard

Bayern Bru
05-05-2010, 05:56 PM
I think that JB is now the only living person who was present when we last won the Scottish Cup:wink::thumbsup::greengrin:devil:
Gerard

And even then he was too old for a lift-over.
:greengrin