PDA

View Full Version : Can Yogi get a reaction from the players for the Motherwell match?

Bob Box Fish
04-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Does anyone think that Yogi can get a reaction from the players for what is our biggest game of the season tomorrow? Past managers when we have had some right bad results have managed to get a win in subsequent games. A few examples off the top of my head:

Rangers 7-0 Hibs - We played Hearts in the derby a few days later and despite losing an early goal we went on to win 2-1 (O'neill / Harper scored if I mind right).

Hearts 4-0 Hibs - Destroyed in the Hampden Scottish Cup semi final but we beat Killie a few days later (Dalgleish scorer I think).

I think if Yogi cant get a reaction for tomorrows game he never will and there must be more going on behind the scenes than we know of. Even the seasons where we escaped relegation / or even got relegated we still pulled one or two results out the bag in the latter part of the season.

Personally, I dont think he can and I reckon we will lose 2-0 minimum and witness the usual Miller hiding (if he plays), Riordan holding his hands up on the touchline complaining about everything and blaming everyone, defensive errors to give away soft goals again etc.

Thoughts?

Cracker
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Well if he gets his head out his rear,then maybe,doubt it though.:wink:

Ritchie
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Sadly, no!

.Sean.
04-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Nope, I don't think we'll see a reaction. I hope i'm wrong but I can't see past a Motherwell win tomorrow and defeat on Sunday.

h185forever
04-05-2010, 06:18 PM
If he does it will be the first time in 16 weeks or so

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
Yes he can!

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
If he does it will be the first time in 16 weeks or so

No it won't.

HFC 0-7
04-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Does anyone think that Yogi can get a reaction from the players for what is our biggest game of the season tomorrow? Past managers when we have had some right bad results have managed to get a win in subsequent games. A few examples off the top of my head:

Rangers 7-0 Hibs - We played Hearts in the derby a few days later and despite losing an early goal we went on to win 2-1 (O'neill / Harper scored if I mind right).

Hearts 4-0 Hibs - Destroyed in the Hampden Scottish Cup semi final but we beat Killie a few days later (Dalgleish scorer I think).

I think if Yogi cant get a reaction for tomorrows game he never will and there must be more going on behind the scenes than we know of. Even the seasons where we escaped relegation / or even got relegated we still pulled one or two results out the bag in the latter part of the season.

Personally, I dont think he can and I reckon we will lose 2-0 minimum and witness the usual Miller hiding (if he plays), Riordan holding his hands up on the touchline complaining about everything and blaming everyone, defensive errors to give away soft goals again etc.

Thoughts?

After the very bad defeats like Ross County and Dundee Utd we have put performances in, we beat Falkirk 3 - 1 after County and we played better in the 3 -2 defeat to celtic after the dundee Utd game, but after the St Johnstone spanking we got beat by Motherwell 1 - 0.

Same old Hibs, you dont know what is going to happen, but IMO I think we will probably get beat. I think the players are completely lost now, the manager is struggling for ideas and we will be playing on the worst pitch in the country.

we are hibs
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
hope he does would even settle for 5th and dundee united to win the cup as long as hearts dont beat dundee united or celtic:scarf:

bingo70
04-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Yes he can!

I've been backing Yogi but starting to have my doubts now, i think if we were going to get a reaction after bad results it would have happened after the hamilton, st johnstone, ross county and the hearts games (the tynecastle one) but from what i remember we didn't get much of a reaction then so i don't see why we should expect one now :dunno:

Hainan Hibs
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
No.

I can't remember the last Hibs team that couldn't give a toss like this team. They'll prefer a long piss up summer than Europe.

Paw Broon will have his team fired up for a do or die game. We'll get more of the "The boys have been fantastic this season" after a 4-0 humping.

Jesus Christ, I really should call the samaritans:boo hoo:

erskine-hibby
04-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Nope, we will get f***ed again.

h185forever
04-05-2010, 06:30 PM
No it won't.

when have we seen one then ? :dunno:

PeterboroHibee
04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
He could do with changing the team about a bit, making us less predictable. Will we be up for it? The evidence so far suggests not.

Would like to think we could go to Motherwell and beat them, but the players dont seem that bothered and they have an awful pitch that suits them (which I suppose shouldnt really be an excuse).

bingo70
04-05-2010, 06:35 PM
He could do with changing the team about a bit, making us less predictable. Will we be up for it? The evidence so far suggests not.

Would like to think we could go to Motherwell and beat them, but the players dont seem that bothered and they have an awful pitch that suits them (which I suppose shouldnt really be an excuse).

Think they're on a pretty rotten run of form just now as well so don't think that pitch has been doing them that much good.

HibbyAndy
04-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Course he can.

erskine-hibby
04-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Course he can.

He hasn't done yet.

Feed McGraw
04-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Thoughts?

Come on man, biggest game of the season ? We have had all our biggest games of the season and we failed miserably in all of them. I don`t get all this fevered excitement about a game that might, just, get us into what is the Inter freakin`Toto cup all dressed up with a new name :" The Europa league qualifiers ".

Admire your enthusiasm, but sorry this is all a bit mickey mouse. Barcelona, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon, Napoli, Liverpool.........etc. etc. THAT was Europe.

bingo70
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Come on man, biggest game of the season ? We have had all our biggest games of the season and we failed miserably in all of them. I don`t get all this fevered excitement about a game that might, just, get us into what is the Inter freakin`Toto cup all dressed up with a new name :" The Europa league qualifiers ".

Admire your enthusiasm, but sorry this is all a bit mickey mouse. Barcelona, Juventus, Sporting Lisbon, Napoli, Liverpool.........etc. etc. THAT was Europe.

realistically though we're a million miles off games like that so fourth place is as good as we can hope for.

I think fourth place would be great, in my lifetime we've not qualified for europe enough times for me to be snobbish about what round we enter it, we play the same teams so often even a game or two against someone different definately appeals to me.

BTW think it's the 5th place team or cup runners up that effectively join the inter-toto cup.

Betty Boop
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Motivating the players is not a problem.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8660630.stm

Bob Box Fish
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
I too thought it would be the fifth place that would be intertoto equivalent?

End of the day if you get in and put a run together then you would eventually get a decent Liverpool like team. Anyhow, correct me if I'm wrong would liverpools 7th place finish not be about the same as our 4th place entry regarding qualifying rounds?

euro Hibby
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
I would be surprised after the dismal run.

Hidden cracks seriously opened and we have a manager , who if you put all his interviews together contradicts himself time after time !

I don't believe he has got it .........but I hope I am wrong !

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2010, 07:37 PM
when have we seen one then ? :dunno:

In the last 16 weeks we've beaten Celtic (away), Hamilton 5-1, St Mirren (last minute winner), good comeback to 2-2 with Aberdeen, beat Falkirk and Kilmarnock.

There's a few for you to be getting on with.

mcfly
04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
i dont think the players respect yogi and he cannot motivate them.

something is seriously wrong at our club.

yogi was the one wanted by the fans, he has had a lot of money for players. we paid a lot of money for stokes and liam millers wages must be quite high too.

i dont think our players have the bottle and we need a big clearout.

what spin will yogi put on it if hearts finish above us??

.Sean.
04-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Course he cannae.
Fixed :wink:

Sir David Gray
04-05-2010, 07:52 PM
I too thought it would be the fifth place that would be intertoto equivalent?

End of the day if you get in and put a run together then you would eventually get a decent Liverpool like team. Anyhow, correct me if I'm wrong would liverpools 7th place finish not be about the same as our 4th place entry regarding qualifying rounds?

If we finish 4th and Dundee Utd win the Scottish Cup, we'll enter the Europa League at the 3rd qualifying round. If Liverpool finish in 7th, they will also enter at the 3rd qualifying round.

IberianHibernian
04-05-2010, 08:04 PM
We can certainly win tomorrow but wouldn`t bet on it and would be reasonably happy with a draw . Six defeats in a row is obviously terrible but at least we have not collapsed completely - near to draws with both of OF and played better on Saturday than in previous Derbies this season so don`t think there is no spirit left in team .

mcfly
04-05-2010, 08:34 PM
We can certainly win tomorrow but wouldn`t bet on it and would be reasonably happy with a draw . Six defeats in a row is obviously terrible but at least we have not collapsed completely - near to draws with both of OF and played better on Saturday than in previous Derbies this season so don`t think there is no spirit left in team .

eh just what would constitute a total collapse in your view???

we are on our worst run since 1997, 6 straight defeats, embarassed twice by ross county, 2 wins in 16 games.

NOT good enough in my view and for the manager to say no need for major changes in the summer is very worrying.

almost as much as your post

ronaldo7
04-05-2010, 09:02 PM
We're in the last chance saloon, and we have to step up to the plate, and give it our all.

Come on Hibs, pull one out of the bag and win a ****ing game:greengrin

IberianHibernian
04-05-2010, 09:03 PM
eh just what would constitute a total collapse in your view???

we are on our worst run since 1997, 6 straight defeats, embarassed twice by ross county, 2 wins in 16 games.

NOT good enough in my view and for the manager to say no need for major changes in the summer is very worrying.

almost as much as your postAnyone who`s read my posts here over the years will know I`m always critical of club for lack of ambition on and off the field and am disappointed that we are struggling to get a poor qualifying place for Europe instead of challenging weak OF teams . But reality is that yet again we`ve let fans down . I`m not happy about recent results or performances but if there`s any hope for last 2 games it is that team has not been thrashed even when playing badly ( Tynecastle display was possibly worst of season but we almost got a draw at end ) except for embarrassing defeats at Perth and Hamilton ( don`t forget Rangers were thrashed at Perth and Celtic at Paisley ) . "Total collapse" would be Perth or Hamilton type defeats in almost every game , something that has not happened since Turnbull`s Tornadoes finally died in 1980 ( hope we don`t "celebrate" 30th anniversary with collapse in last 2 games ) .

francobaresi
05-05-2010, 09:22 AM
I fear for the worst tonight but I also have a remaining bit of faith that tells me this rotten run has to end soon... Therefore, I think yogi will get the desired reaction tonight somehow & hopefully the players will understand the importance of the games remaining! If not, they need to take a long hard look at themselves...

GGTTH

Expecting Rain
05-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Unfortunately no, the one thing Hibs lack irrepective of injuries or suspensions is commitment, hope i`m way wrong.

Steve20
05-05-2010, 10:33 AM
No chance.

Diclonius
05-05-2010, 10:56 AM
If we win tonight, it will be by the pure coincidence of the players deciding they can be bothered all at the same time, and Yogi somehow selecting the right tactics.

If he couldn't get this team of bottlers motivated for both Ross County games, the last two derbies, or the recent United home game, there is no way in **** we will be motivated for this one.

May luck be our lady tonight.

nickwhibs
05-05-2010, 11:24 AM
He hasn't proven to be a great motivator so far but tbh it's really down to the players. If they can't motivate themselves for a big game like tonight then there's a big problem...maybe there is already! Having said that, I reckon we'll win tonight.

Speedway
05-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Apathy is a reaction, right?

NORTHERNHIBBY
05-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't think that the question is can he, it more like he has to.

ahibby
05-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Can Hibs play for an entire 90 minutes, with out shooting themselves in the foot? With Thicot, Hanlon and Smith now making up the biggest part of our standard defence it's like pre season when players have to get used to each other. It's an unsettled side but if they have learned that it must be safety first at the back, until they gel better, then we should do okay. Miller mustn't give the ball away in front of our box and Riordan must track back in case he does. If that is sorted I think we will be okay.

Mikey
05-05-2010, 11:54 AM
I'd rather see a reaction from the manager.

He can start by making the right changes at the right time. Changes that allow the team to hold onto a lead. Changes that give us more control in midfield. Changes that show he's got more in his locker than Plan A.

ahibby
05-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Why not? Games are running out and it's a must win. Motherwell I think have an unfair advantage in that we have had to play them three times there. We could turn that to our advantage by giving it more (injustice?). Motherwell may also feel they have an unfair advantage. It could all come down to the last game. Simply because of the laws of average I'll predict a Hibs win tonight, despite having a defence that has been thrown together. It's fair to say that if Stack had been in form with Hogg and Bamba in the middle IM on the left and DW on the right. I would be very confident. As it is my predection is tentative. Miller has to not give the ball away in front of our box and Riordan has to track back (like he did in the first game there this season).

Golden Bear
05-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I'd rather see a reaction from the manager.

He can start by making the right changes at the right time. Changes that allow the team to hold onto a lead. Changes that give us more control in midfield. Changes that show he's got more in his locker than Plan A.

:agree:

In a nutshell.

weonlywon6-2
05-05-2010, 12:19 PM
thing is,this bad run has to stop sometime.hopefully tonight

Leith Green
05-05-2010, 12:21 PM
It's all got so boring and very predictable..

Hibs will lose a cheap goal against Motherwell and then buckle as they have been doing so often these past few months, then Hughes will come out and tell us he wants to see who the characters are in the dressing room with passion and fight who will step up to the plate for the United game, then some player will come out on Friday telling us that Dundee Utd is the biggest game of the season so far and how we need to win at all costs..

The only thing stopping this from repeating itself for the umpteenth time will be pre-season... Sad but very true!

KeithTheHibby
05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
There should be no need for Hughes to say anything to those players this evening, they surely know what is at stake.

Keith_M
05-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Get a reaction? How many times have we waited for the 'reaction' in the last three months or so?

I'd love to see it but I'm not convinced there are enough players of both reasonable skill and desire for this to happen. I'd be very happy to be proved wrong though.

Keith_M
05-05-2010, 01:16 PM
It's all got so boring and very predictable..

Hibs will lose a cheap goal against Motherwell and then buckle as they have been doing so often these past few months, then Hughes will come out and tell us he wants to see who the characters are in the dressing room with passion and fight who will step up to the plate for the United game, then some player will come out on Friday telling us that Dundee Utd is the biggest game of the season so far and how we need to win at all costs..

The only thing stopping this from repeating itself for the umpteenth time will be pre-season... Sad but very true!

:agree:

I'd love to be able to wake up in the morning and not listen to "I got you Babe" on the Radio.

Dashing Bob S
05-05-2010, 01:37 PM
I hate to be negative before such an important game for our club, as there is more than enough on this board already and it makes utterly depressing reading.

However, hand on heart, I've seen nothing at all in recent (weeks...months) to suggest that we are capable of winning this fixture. I can't see anything other than a defeat. The saddest thing is that we are capable of playing well, dominating the game and losing by a goal from a defensive mistake. However, I doubt it'll come too that. I think we'll be up against an organised and motivated Motherwell side and lose by at least two clear goals. We simply don't have the dressing room personalities to get a result in this type of fixture.

Now I'm off to listen to some Leonard Cohen and Joy Division albums and Lou Reed's Berlin to cheer myself up a little.

erskine-hibby
05-05-2010, 01:43 PM
I hate to be negative before such an important game for our club, as there is more than enough on this board already and it makes utterly depressing reading.

However, hand on heart, I've seen nothing at all in recent (weeks...months) to suggest that we are capable of winning this fixture. I can't see anything other than a defeat. The saddest thing is that we are capable of playing well, dominating the game and losing by a goal from a defensive mistake. However, I doubt it'll come too that. I think we'll be up against an organised and motivated Motherwell side and lose by at least two clear goals. We simply don't have the dressing room personalities to get a result in this type of fixture.

Now I'm off to listen to some Leonard Cohen and Joy Division albums and Lou Reed's Berlin to cheer myself up a little.

Strangely enough I like them:greengrin

Dashing Bob S
05-05-2010, 01:45 PM

Oh, me too. Makes you wonder how much choice you really have in picking your team though.

khib70
05-05-2010, 02:43 PM
:agree::agree:Fling in "On the Beach" by Neil Young and you have the perfect soundtrack to our current situation:thumbsup:

Bob Box Fish
05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Joke