PDA

View Full Version : Should we re-new Thicot's contract?

paul_hfc3
04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Steven Thicot should he stay at ER or go?

I personally think he should sign a new contract since his form of late has been class, but I know he has the abiltity to be a huddy.

Andy74
04-05-2010, 02:30 PM
I would say yes, but then again, if we can bring in better then I'm all for that.

He's a good footballer and so looking at it against what else we have right now then yes, he should be kept.

If you were to tell me we could get a Russell Anderson or someone like that instead then I'd go for that.

Allant1981
04-05-2010, 02:31 PM
i reckon he is worth another year. he has shown in a few games he has something there but you can never tell until he gets a decent tun in the team

khib70
04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Steven Thicot should he stay at ER or go?

I personally think he should sign a new contract since his form of late has been class, but I know he has the abiltity to be a huddy.

He's a footballer and a defender with a brain - we'd be off our heads to let him go.

And despite having played far fewer games than he should, he's never been a huddy in my experience, whereas several current regulars do huddy on a weekly basis.

Bayern Bru
04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
I'd say he's worth keeping for his versatility alone. He's also been the most comfortable at RB I've seen this season.

Darth Hibbie
04-05-2010, 02:40 PM
Personally I would offer him another 3 years. I suspect that he not amongst the higher earners and is a good young player with a lot of potential. I we have him tied up then if he really proves himself we get a fee for him at worst he is a decent back up player so we have really not lost anything.

Si_17
04-05-2010, 02:46 PM
If we don't, it only goes to prove that Yogi and the board are a bunch of mugs.

Andy74
04-05-2010, 02:49 PM
If we don't, it only goes to prove that Yogi and the board are a bunch of mugs.

What if they repalced him with better?

I like him but sometimes I'm puzzled. We have a team that by all accounts aren't good enough yet anytime we talk of anyone going there is uproar!

Hibbie_Cameron
04-05-2010, 02:50 PM
I'd keep him

millarco
04-05-2010, 02:55 PM
Is he definitely out of contract this summer? Thought he had another year to run anyway, so would leave it at that and review it later next season.

PeterboroHibee
04-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Hes better than Hogg and McCormack, and Hanlons still young so would def get him signed up if hes needing a contract extension. Needs a run of games alongside a decent, level headed CB, then we will really get the best out of him.

hibsbollah
04-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Yes, Its a no-brainer.

(thats not a dig at Nish BTW).

Dunbar Hibee
04-05-2010, 03:00 PM
Definately. One of our better defenders at the club.l

--------
04-05-2010, 03:02 PM
I'd keep him

Yup.

There are at least two centre-backs on our books right now whom I'd see gone before ST. Get him alongside a good, strong, tall centre-half, and I think we'd be pleasantly surprised.

(That is, of course, providing the manager did actually play him....)

JimBHibees
04-05-2010, 03:03 PM
Personally wouldnt he has been here a couple of years now and has IMO been in and out. The occasional good game then a few rank bad ones IMO. Dont think he has the pace to play at full back for example and also dont think he is physical enough. Personally think we can do better.

greenlex
04-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Personally wouldnt he has been here a couple of years now and has IMO been in and out. The occasional good game then a few rank bad ones IMO. Dont think he has the pace to play at full back for example and also dont think he is physical enough. Personally think we can do better.
Out of interest what were the bad ones?

PeeJay
04-05-2010, 03:11 PM
If Thicot is one of our better defenders then we are truly scuppered as a club - he was absolutely awful on Saturday IMO, and I feel talk of his performances as "class" to be way wide of the mark. He got caught out on several occasions, basically required far too long on the ball, first touch was abysmal, and he's too slow and indecisive in tackling, covering. If things are to improve at ER he and his sort are the ones that must go. He simply does not convince me.

magnificent_seven
04-05-2010, 03:11 PM

Ross County up at Dingwall, he was horrendous.

I'd still offer him a new deal though.

Allant1981
04-05-2010, 03:17 PM
If Thicot is one of our better defenders then we are truly scuppered as a club - he was absolutely awful on Saturday IMO, and I feel talk of his performances as "class" to be way wide of the mark. He got caught out on several occasions, basically required far too long on the ball, first touch was abysmal, and he's too slow and indecisive in tackling, covering. If things are to improve at ER he and his sort are the ones that must go. He simply does not convince me.

you seriously thought he was awful on sat? it amazes me sometimes how we can all watch the same match but have totally different views on players. I thought he had a decent game on saturday

PeeJay
04-05-2010, 03:18 PM
you seriously thought he was awful on sat? it amazes me sometimes how we can all watch the same match but have totally different views on players. I thought he had a decent game on saturday

Yeah, that's a fair point - he was still awful though!:greengrin

JimBHibees
04-05-2010, 03:40 PM

Whenever he has played in midfield or full back.

noseyhibby
04-05-2010, 03:49 PM

:agree:

scoopyboy
04-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Why on earth would we want to offer Thicot a contract now when he still has a full season left?

Plenty of time to worry about that 12 months from now.

If Thicot is our best defender / one of our best it probably explains why we've had a slump.

.Sean.
04-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Another year with us, yes :agree:

scoopyboy
04-05-2010, 03:58 PM
Another year with us, yes :agree:

Sean, he is already contracted to us for another year.

Not sure if the OP realises this.

Cracker
04-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Is he definitely out of contract this summer? Thought he had another year to run anyway, so would leave it at that and review it later next season.

:agree:He still has a further year to go,next June,only problems are if he does well,he will be off for nothing,suspect he would not sign another contract and leave whatever happens.

.Sean.
04-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Gotcha. I assumed he was out of contract. Certainly not worth offering a new deal to at this moment in time, but I personally would keep him on for next season.

Hibs90
04-05-2010, 04:08 PM
:agree:He still has a further year to go,next June,only problems are if he does well,he will be off for nothing,suspect he would not sign another contract and leave whatever happens.

Thought he only got a 2 year deal though?

hibsbollah
04-05-2010, 04:08 PM

Are you saying he has another year on his contract?:confused:

Speedway
04-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Whatever deal he's got, we were looking to punt him in January.

.Sean.
04-05-2010, 04:12 PM
Whatever deal he's got, we were looking to punt him in January.
He went to Spain for a look around a club but Yogi called him back IIRC?

scoopyboy
04-05-2010, 04:15 PM

Yes, he has another year.

I don't think this poll is worth a sook as most voters didn't realise this.

Not sure the OP did either.

AFAIK the only out of contracts in the first team squad are Maka, Benji, Cregg and Murray before he signed up again.

Speedway
04-05-2010, 04:17 PM

But Yogi also let him go, without anyone lined up to replace.

Cracker
04-05-2010, 04:31 PM

Yes.

Cracker
04-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Thought he only got a 2 year deal though?

Not what he told me.

paul_hfc3
04-05-2010, 04:44 PM

Ooops sorry, it was my idiot old man who went and told me he was out of contract ha. I was always under the impression he signed a 2 year contract, but after looking it up your right its a 3 year contract, sarry :grr:

Still though the ones sayin he had a bad game on Saturday...Where yous watching the same game ffs he was class, and by class I dont mean world class I mean very good shift from him.

PeeJay
04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Still though the ones sayin he had a bad game on Saturday...Where yous watching the same game ffs he was class, and by class I dont mean world class I mean very good shift from him.

Well, IMO - if your "class" defender had being doing his job correctly he wouldn't have been so far off his man out on the right for the 2nd goal - the guy he should have closed down crossed the ball into our box for Hearts to get their goal to win the game - that's the game I was watching, and that's part of the reason why I think he wasn't as good as some on here are making him out to be - it was his job to stop that ball and that cross, surely?? Did you miss that perhaps? Maybe you think it wasn't his fault?:confused: I do.

Bayern Bru
04-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Thicot has never had a 'class game' for Hibernian. But he's pretty solid and he's not as bombscarish as some of the others.

He was decent enough on Saturday but to call him class is like calling Christian Nade a prolific goal scorer.

basehibby
04-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I think Thicot has shown in the last few games that he's well worth persevering with. Fair enough he was one of those at fault for the Yams' winner on Sat, but that apart he very much looked the part IMO. Add to that that he's still pretty young and there should be plenty scope for further improvement and it's a definite YES for me - sign him up!

we are hibs
04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
if bamba left for who ever thicot would be a not bad replacement:agree:

seanraff07
04-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Definitely, i think Thicot is a very good player, especially at CB, i think he's just been slightly unfortunate not to have been given more of a chance yet.

HibbyKeith
04-05-2010, 05:37 PM
well worth a new contract, I don't think hes been given a chance to really prove himself, and to do that he would need a substantial run of games in his preferred position.

Cracker
04-05-2010, 05:38 PM

Not my understanding of matters,returned because he wanted to.

ahibby
04-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Yes, but only if we are getting a new manager, I wouldn't trust the current one to manage him well enough for him to do a good job.

ekhibee
04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I don't think I've ever disagreed more with a post than the one you've posted here. If you think he doesn't deserve an extension to his contract and should be told to move on, McCormack,Hogg, Stevenson, Nish, and Rankin should be clearly on their way as well, and before him too. IMO you're talking complete nonsense, I was at the game and thought Thicot had a good game, one of the few positives, unlike the vast majority of the rest of the team. That's my opinion, you've got yours,we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Cracker
04-05-2010, 06:12 PM
Yeah, that's a fair point - he was still awful though!:greengrin
Well when he has a real bad game it will interesting to read your post!:devil:

Speedy
04-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I like Thicot at centre back but not sure about him as a right back.

PeeJay
04-05-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't think I've ever disagreed more with a post than the one you've posted here. If you think he doesn't deserve an extension to his contract and should be told to move on, McCormack,Hogg, Stevenson, Nish, and Rankin should be clearly on their way as well, and before him too. IMO you're talking complete nonsense, I was at the game and thought Thicot had a good game, one of the few positives, unlike the vast majority of the rest of the team. That's my opinion, you've got yours,we'll just have to agree to disagree.

What's strange about this Thicot thread (to me, that is) is that no-one praising the guy mentioned that Thicot was mainly responsible for the 2nd goal - the one that lost us the game! How can people go to a game of football (or watch it as I did), see an event unfold before their eyes and then completely forget it, while claiming the guy had a good game (in some cases even a class game) To top it all - as in your case - you say my post is nonsense? Well, I guess speople always have different opinions, and that's legitimate, yet the catastrophic outcome of the game was primarily down to Thicot's inability to do his job. Watch the highlights if you don't believe me, when it mattered, he screwed up. As to others players leaving I have to disagree with you and actually agree, perhaps not all of them though?

erskine-hibby
04-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Definitely, i think Thicot is a very good player, especially at CB, i think he's just been slightly unfortunate not to have been given more of a chance yet.

well worth a new contract, I don't think hes been given a chance to really prove himself, and to do that he would need a substantial run of games in his preferred position.

Yep agree with this:agree:

Keith_M
04-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Based on what we've seen from him recently I've absolutely no doubts that we should. I think the Laddie has shown some good defensive qualities, allied to more than a little skill.
I'd personally have him in a central defensive partnership with Hanlon.

scoopyboy
04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Ooops sorry, it was my idiot old man who went and told me he was out of contract ha. I was always under the impression he signed a 2 year contract, but after looking it up your right its a 3 year contract, sarry :grr:

Paul, I'm not saying he's a bad player its just I don't see any rush to give him what would be a contract extension.

If he's a sensation next season by all means give him a new contract but I think he still has a helluva lot to prove.

Seveno
04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
I liked the look of him and Hanlon as centre backs. It would release Bamba to beef up the midfield.

Most of our defensive problems this year have come from our lack of a right back - Thicot is definitely not a right back, neither is Wotherspoon or McCormack.

BSEJVT
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Thicot is an adequate enough stopper.

But a centre half pairing of him and Hogg / him and Hanlon /Hanlon & Hogg would get bullied out of the game in the SPL.

TBH there's not one of that defence except Bamba, who will be away, that I would want to start next year. Hanlon will become a player but he isnt big enough or hard enough just now.

Tin hat on but IMO Murray has been awful since Xmas and has got some real chasings, including Saturday.

Injury starting to catch up with him?

hibbymark
04-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Although i agree he has never had a run in the team he has looked decent on occasion away to dundee utd this season and tynecastle last season during the 1 nil win. Still see him as a good enough squad player because of his flexability but like the rest of the team really lacks pace. I really hope we add some pace to the side during the summer. I dont think any of our fullbacks are that bad defenders positionally they just seem to get exposed everytime we play against Mcgeady,Naismith,Driver etc due to being so slow. Feeling the way i have felt the last few weeks theres not many of them i would lose much sleep over if the were to leave.

KWJ
05-05-2010, 12:56 AM
Hes better than Hogg and McCormack, and Hanlons still young so would def get him signed up if hes needing a contract extension. Needs a run of games alongside a decent, level headed CB, then we will really get the best out of him.

whs but I'd play him alongside Hanlon and let them form a partnership.

Big90inOz
05-05-2010, 02:17 AM

I must have watched a different game, one of the few players prepared to put his foot on the ball and pick a pass, Only time he was troubled was when one of his fellow players played him into trouble.
Would like to see him get an extended run in the side alongside a big centre half.

PeeJay
05-05-2010, 04:35 AM
I must have watched a different game, one of the few players prepared to put his foot on the ball and pick a pass, Only time he was troubled was when one of his fellow players played him into trouble.
Would like to see him get an extended run in the side alongside a big centre half.

At the risk of labouring apoint - you don't think the 2nd goal where he failed to mark his man properly and failed to stop the cross coming into the box so they could get the winning goal was a time when he was troubled?:confused:

Big90inOz
05-05-2010, 05:04 AM
For some strange reason I deleted the match at the final whistle. Regardless he was still one of the very few prepared to look up before making a pass.

There are players in the side who for whatever reason get chance after chance when failing miserable, Thicot should have played much more 1st team footie this season :agree:

PeeJay
05-05-2010, 05:12 AM
For some strange reason I deleted the match at the final whistle. Regardless he was still one of the very few prepared to look up before making a pass.

There are players in the side who for whatever reason get chance after chance when failing miserable, Thicot should have played much more 1st team footie this season :agree:

Good point, no arguing with that really - I too thought Thicot should be given more games, but he just doesn't convince me - having said that it must be difficult for the young guy to attain that "100% match mentaility" when you're often on the bench and you only get the odd game. Seems he's got another year to go on his contract anyway, so - if he wants - Thicot can go ahead and prove me wrong! He's probably playing this evening so ...!

JimBHibees
05-05-2010, 03:07 PM
If he's a sensation next season by all means give him a new contract but I think he still has a helluva lot to prove.

Agree with that. He has no pace and we are screaming out for players with pace.

Cracker
05-05-2010, 04:20 PM
At the risk of labouring apoint - you don't think the 2nd goal where he failed to mark his man properly and failed to stop the cross coming into the box so they could get the winning goal was a time when he was troubled?:confused:

Lets say at this point you are right and Thicot was to blame for 2nd goal,the defender behind him and the clown between the posts take no blame?, if I remember the first goal was lost under similar circumstances ie same defender and smith getting in each others way.

PeeJay
05-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Lets say at this point you are right and Thicot was to blame for 2nd goal,the defender behind him and the clown between the posts take no blame?, if I remember the first goal was lost under similar circumstances ie same defender and smith getting in each others way.

Well that's a fair point as well, of course BUT this thread is about Thicot, so it seemed fair to me to mention his mistakes, when everyone else was praising him for a great game. I was just being focussed.:greengrin

Cracker
05-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Well that's a fair point as well, of course BUT this thread is about Thicot, so it seemed fair to me to mention his mistakes, when everyone else was praising him for a great game. I was just being focussed.:greengrin

And that you appear to be.:wink: I think that Thicot was being praised because, compared to most of his team mates he stood out,he has outshone most of his team mates whenever he has been picked to play,no doubt in my mind that he is a much better player than a lot who are selected on a weekly basis,but if your boss thinks you are not as good as them,well you can never win.

JimBHibees
05-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Eh No, as bad as the rest of the defence tonight.