PDA

View Full Version : Coventry sack boss after...

Niffy
04-05-2010, 12:20 PM
... "The team's form deteriorated rapidly towards the end of the season..."

Hmmm.

Moulin Yarns
04-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I've always wondered, when someone from Coventry gets 'sent to Coventry' where do they actually go :confused:

Bayern Bru
04-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I've always wondered, when someone from Coventry gets 'sent to Coventry' where do they actually go :confused:

Home?
:greengrin

Speedway
04-05-2010, 12:26 PM

Hmmm.

Creative quoting there. The quote goes onto say 'for the second season running'

iwasthere1972
04-05-2010, 12:31 PM

Hmmm.

The difference is he never played for Coventry. :wink:

Beefster
04-05-2010, 01:12 PM
Coleman won 5 out of 6 in February and March and has since collected 5 points.

We last won consecutive league games in January and in the period that Coleman collected 5 points, we collected 3.

In the interest of fairness as they've played different numbers of games in the period since 6 March:

Coleman - 0.45 points per game
Hughes - 0.37 points per game.

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2010, 01:13 PM

We last won consecutive league games in January and in the period that Coleman collected 5 points, we collected 3.

How many seasons has he been at Coventry and where did they finish in the league?

Beefster
04-05-2010, 01:19 PM
How many seasons has he been at Coventry and where did they finish in the league?

No idea and 19th.

You don't like me posting facts?

Andy74
04-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Coleman has been there for over 2 yrs so you can't compare the run of games at all.

Caversham Green
04-05-2010, 01:54 PM

In the interest of fairness as they've played different numbers of games in the period since 6 March:

Coleman - 0.45 points per game
Hughes - 0.37 points per game.

Coleman's first full season in charge - 54 points from 46 games - 1.17 points per game, finished 17th and he was kept on.

Hughes first full season in charge - at least 50 points from 38 games - 1.32 points per game.

Beefster
04-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Coleman has been there for over 2 yrs so you can't compare the run of games at all.

Fair enough.

How about:

Mixu was 'sacked' after getting an average of 1.1 points per game in the last 10 games of last season.

Hughes will get a maximum average of 0.9 points per game in the last 10 games of this season and a minimum average of 0.3 points per game.

Dr_Regal
04-05-2010, 02:11 PM
I'd take him

Dashing Bob S
04-05-2010, 02:14 PM
I'd take him

Why not? It hasn't worked out for Chris at Coventry, but he's a good, enthusiastic young manager who's as keen as mustard.

Andy74
04-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Fair enough.

How about:

Mixu was 'sacked' after getting an average of 1.1 points per game in the last 10 games of last season.

Hughes will get a maximum average of 0.9 points per game in the last 10 games of this season and a minimum average of 0.3 points per game.

This is why Ii don't really share the somewhat yammish obsession with stats.

Mixu was sacked becasue after a year and a half he showed no signs of being able to put together a team that could be successful or entertaining. Did we get two sixth place finishes and never looked likely to reach above that?

Hughes has had Hibs in third place for the majority of the season before hitting a very poor run of form.

Included in that was an excellent 1-1 draw at Ibrox, a 2-1 victory at Parkhead two excellent performances against Motherwell and a consistency particularly after the Hamilton away defeat that we had been looking for for some time.

Excuses are often just that but we've had our two key players missing, Zemmama and McBride, for large parts of the season, Bamba going and coming back unsettled us, and we've had to use 3 goalkeepers at various stages. We've also had to play the likes of McCormack at full back and that's always asking for a disaster! We don't have the players for poor pitches and our pitch in particular has been awful.

We also have to bear in mind that the players we have brought in haven't been playing much football in recent years and have been asked to play a full part in a season for the first time in a while.

If Hughes had none of this to affect the team and we had the results we had i'd wonder what was happening a bit but I can see past it to what he is trying to do.

He knows the types of players we need in and I'm sure now he will go out and do that.

I don't think it is comparable to Mixu's time at all or to Coleman's position.

Woody1985
04-05-2010, 02:46 PM
Coleman's first full season in charge - 54 points from 46 games - 1.17 points per game, finished 17th and he was kept on.

Hughes first full season in charge - at least 50 points from 38 games - 1.32 points per game.

Errmm....

We've played 36 which gives and average of 1.39 points per game. Yes, that may go down to the 1.32 you mention but posting hypothetical stats at the moment is a little silly, admittedly, we probably don't look like getting many more points.

However, I might aswell say that we should sack Hughes now because he has an average of 0.00 points for the 38 games we're going to play next season. Petrie :grr:

Niffy
04-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Creative quoting there. The quote goes onto say 'for the second season running'

Have to hold my hands up to that one :)

I'm sittin' on the fence anyway.

--------
04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Errmm....

We've played 36 which gives and average of 1.39 points per game. Yes, that may go down to the 1.32 you mention but posting hypothetical stats at the moment is a little silly, admittedly, we probably don't look like getting many more points.

However, I might aswell say that we should sack Hughes now because he has an average of 0.00 points for the 38 games we're going to play next season. Petrie :grr:

But potentially he might very well achieve an average of 3.00 points per game over the 38 games we play next season, and the team might very well go on a run of 10 games unbeaten in Cup ties...

This was Coleman's second season at Coventry. Both seasons ended disappointingly. Distressing and disappointing as our present form is, I think we do need to have some patience. Serially sacking managers after 12-18 months in the job will only destabilise the club completely.

greenlex
04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Why not? It hasn't worked out for Chris at Coventry, but he's a good, enthusiastic young manager who's as keen as mustard.
:tee hee:

Caversham Green
04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Errmm....

I know, that's why I said "at least." My point was to illustrate that at the very worst Yogi will still have produced better results in his first season than Coleman produced in his, yet Coleman was given a second season, and was sacked only when there was no improvement.

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2010, 03:06 PM
No idea and 19th.

You don't like me posting facts?

I don't mind stats. I just like them to be comparable rather than just the ones that fit a specific argument.

krobertson12
04-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Interesting quote from Coleman after their last game (4-0 defeat at home to Watford).

"I'm doing something wrong - I am - but it's not all just me making mistakes as a manager".

Thats what i want to hear from our manager! Admit its gone tits up yogi, and bash their heads against the bloody door if they come in halftime losing tomorrow night.

Phil D. Rolls
04-05-2010, 04:57 PM
FFS cut all the facts and figures, Yogi is bad enough without giving him stats to add to his pre and post match gob*****.

Toaods
04-05-2010, 05:04 PM
managing Coventry is like being surrounded by Olympic swimmers in a pool whilst you have a gigantic rock tied to each of your feet. It was a job whereby do well you'll be away soon enough...do crap, nobody outside Coventry gives a toss.

Llong term local rivals like Wolverhampton, Birmingham, Aston Villa, West Brom, Leicester are light years ahead of them.

Coleman would do a job if in charge of our bunch.

IWasThere2016
04-05-2010, 05:14 PM

Average is 1.33 per game :cool2: so Hughes is below average in a very average league :grr: with better resources/players etc .. not good enough IMHO :bye:

Woody1985
04-05-2010, 11:31 PM
I know, that's why I said "at least." My point was to illustrate that at the very worst Yogi will still have produced better results in his first season than Coleman produced in his, yet Coleman was given a second season, and was sacked only when there was no improvement.

Apologies, I thought you were trying to put a negative slant on it to get closer to Coleman.

Woody1985
04-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Average is 1.33 per game :cool2: so Hughes is below average in a very average league :grr: with better resources/players etc .. not good enough IMHO :bye:

Not sure what calculator you've got but mine says 50/38 = 1.3157. Rounded up it is 1.32...

Still, it could improve a little or stay the same, we'll wait and see.

Craig_in_Prague
05-05-2010, 07:19 AM
Interesting quote from Coleman after their last game (4-0 defeat at home to Watford).

"I'm doing something wrong - I am - but it's not all just me making mistakes as a manager".

Thats what i want to hear from our manager! Admit its gone tits up yogi, and bash their heads against the bloody door if they come in halftime losing tomorrow night.

Hughes would prefer to say "my players have been fantastic for me all season" :blah: .....and "this is where we wanted to be, still fighting in the last few games of the season" :blah: ........and "all credit to Motherwell, they worked hard and deserved it" :bye: