PDA

View Full Version : A new SPL

1two
03-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Lets Face it, our league is crap.
I thought it when I seen the headline last week about looking to extend the league and automatically thought that the 'blazers' had finally seen that the League needs to change.

Oh how I was wrong.

4 extra teams then we'll have a split after two rounds of fixtures with a top 6 and bottom 8. :confused: WTF so a top six team can end the season played less games got less points than the bottom 8? :grr:

To me the only sensible set up would be;

A 18 team SPL
2 x 12 team lower leagues
Summer Football
2 up 2 down
Play-offs between 3rd bottom SPL and 3rd top team of second tier league
Scrap the split

Obviously their are different versions of the above which could be changed and agreed (Summer Football etc) but the basic set up must be changed and a 16 team league with an 8 - 6 split is not the way forward.

I also think a re-structure of the League cup s neeeded. Regional Games possibly incorporating english FA then move into a standard knockout stage.

I believe the SPL clubs meet in July (Pre-season) and this is where they would discuss the future and changes to be made for season 11/12

Does anyone know how we could set up some sort of petition to get as many signatures from all the clubs fans sent to the SPL before it is discussed, basically letting them know what the fans want.

Sorry if you all think im talkin Pish, i jst think its time to tidy up our game by standing up to the lkes of Sky TV, The SPL Blazers, the Old Firm etc etc etc and its only the fans that can do that!

DC_Hibs
03-05-2010, 02:51 PM
More teams means more then share the TV money and other revenues so the clubs themselves don't want an 18 team league.

joe_hfc
03-05-2010, 02:59 PM
More teams means more then share the TV money and other revenues so the clubs themselves don't want an 18 team league.

it would also mean we'd play the old firm/hearts less = less money. in the long term we'd suffer financially IMO

The_Sauz
03-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I thought it when I seen the headline last week about looking to extend the league and automatically thought that the 'blazers' had finally seen that the League needs to change.

Oh how I was wrong.

4 extra teams then we'll have a split after two rounds of fixtures with a top 6 and bottom 8. :confused: WTF so a top six team can end the season played less games got less points than the bottom 8? :grr:

A 18 team SPL
Summer Football
2 up 2 down
Scrap the split

Obviously their are different versions of the above which could be changed and agreed (Summer Football etc) but the basic set up must be changed and a 16 team league with an 8 - 6 split is not the way forward.

I also think a re-structure of the League cup s neeeded. Regional Games possibly incorporating english FA then move into a standard knockout stage.

I believe the SPL clubs meet in July (Pre-season) and this is where they would discuss the future and changes to be made for season 11/12

Does anyone know how we could set up some sort of petition to get as many signatures from all the clubs fans sent to the SPL before it is discussed, basically letting them know what the fans want.

Sorry if you all think im talkin Pish, i jst think its time to tidy up our game by standing up to the lkes of Sky TV, The SPL Blazers, the Old Firm etc etc etc and its only the fans that can do that!

I agree with what your saying, but remember you need to have an all-seated stadium with a min of 6000 to get in the SPL, and the only teams out-with the current SPL who have this, is the following clubs:

Div 1
Dundee
Inverness
Dunfermline
Partick
Raith
Airdrie*

Div2
Livingston

Div3
Clyde

*in play-offs to stay in Div 1 next season

So to make it a 18 team league all the clubs within the rules in Div 1 would automatically move to the SPL, but what happens with relegation?
If 2 clubs were to go down, who would come up with grounds that are suitable?

If the SPL were to change it's rules and do away with the all-seated stadiums, then they run the risk of pissing off a lot of chairman who have invested lots of money in rebuilding to meet the current criteria.

The thing they need to do with Scottish football is:

One ruling body
Increase the top league
Do away with the split
Reduce the leagues to 3 Divisions

TheEastTerrace
03-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Oh how I was wrong.

A 18 team SPL
Summer Football
2 up 2 down
Scrap the split

Two reasons why this crazy set-up has been proposed:

1. Expands the league to a max size which still allows for four OF games per season, which is what the TV people want.
2. Probably the max size clubs will vote for without having an impact on revenue sharing.

thebakerboy
03-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Sorry if I am being slightly pedantic but the incredibly stupid suggestion is for a 14 team league not 16, with this crazy 6 8 split. If we are going to criticise please keep the facts correct(know this does not always count on here BUT). Agree with most of the rest of the OP.:grr::grr:

NAE NOOKIE
03-05-2010, 04:42 PM
If Killie look like going down the SPL will probably expand for next season.

From what I read they could go bust for good without SPL football and they are a mid range club in SPL terms. Scottish football cant afford another 3rd Lanark or Clydebank.

If I keep saying it perhaps it will catch on.

16 teams = 30 matches. Top 8 bottom 8 split. = 44 games each.

Teams in the English championship play 46 league games per season.

2 down plus play off for 13th v 14th to see who plays winner of 3rd v 4th play off in 1st division in winner takes all one off match at a neutral venue.

No messy 3 away and 1 at home v Motherwell or whoever nonsense.

I am also for Summer football. IMO the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

And one body running the game instead of the idiotic system we have now.

magpie1892
03-05-2010, 04:51 PM
Might be worth looking at the money it costs to get in to see such an appalling product.

Season tickets at top Dutch and German clubs (Schalke, Feyenoord) start at the equivalent of £180 (for adults, without concession)

NAE NOOKIE
03-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Might be worth looking at the money it costs to get in to see such an appalling product.

Season tickets at top Dutch and German clubs (Schalke, Feyenoord) start at the equivalent of £180 (for adults, without concession)

Too true mate. Just paid £355.00 to renew in FF lower and thats the cheapest part of the stadium.

This is something that Scottish football as a whole has to look at.